'88 at the Ritz - Axl MIA in middle of RQ

I was just watching RQ from the Ritz in '88 on youtube.  For some reason Axl disappears and misses the whole second verse.  In some ways it's cool that you can clearly hear the guitar of the melody but it's very odd.  You can even see Slash shrugging like somebody asked where Axl went.  Anybody know the story behind this?

4 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

They were having issues with the monitors right throughout the show, i assume he went and had some words with the monitor man who he later throws the mic at later in the song.

Monitors like monitors with the lyrics on ...? Sorry, don’t understand.

Its not an uncommon thing in general, to be fair, to cut dear ol' Axl some slack, bless his ginger locks.  Monitors are the bane of singerses existence because you need to hear yourself back clearly to know how shit you do or don't sound, band biographies and filled with tales of '...and if that wasn't bad enough, the fuckin' monitors were on the blink all night, it had been a long tour and I finally lost it...' :lol:  Its especially frustrating when you're a fuckin' million dollar concern like Guns n Roses, I imagine you see what your out-goings are for the entire rig and then for it to not work right, well, I can see how that would get on anyones tits.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I rather wonder what happened at the end, what with the mic throwing and all. 

That probably was at the sound engineer - I found this quote from him:

“The live concert we did for MTV,” he relays one of those uh, experiences, “you couldn’t hear shit! It wasn’t so much that you couldn’t hear shit, it would have been better if I couldn’t hear anything. Instead, I heard spaceships landing onstage, echoes on my voice that were twisting everything. There’s never any echoes when I’m singing. I couldn’t tell what was coming out of my mouth onstage. They had Slash’s guitar cranked up a few times, so loud, and then other times it was Duff’s bass, and then it was no bass at all! It made it very hard to act like we were having a good time, and to give the people a good show. If you watch the concert, there’s a point where I throw the microphone down when we end one of the songs, but actually, I left the stage three times during the show. I nailed Doug, our tour manager, with the microphone while I was trying to hit the monitor man.”

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

“The live concert we did for MTV,” he relays one of those uh, experiences, “you couldn’t hear shit! It wasn’t so much that you couldn’t hear shit, it would have been better if I couldn’t hear anything. Instead, I heard spaceships landing onstage, echoes on my voice that were twisting everything. There’s never any echoes when I’m singing. I couldn’t tell what was coming out of my mouth onstage. They had Slash’s guitar cranked up a few times, so loud, and then other times it was Duff’s bass, and then it was no bass at all! It made it very hard to act like we were having a good time, and to give the people a good show. If you watch the concert, there’s a point where I throw the microphone down when we end one of the songs, but actually, I left the stage three times during the show. I nailed Doug, our tour manager, with the microphone while I was trying to hit the monitor man.”

Who would have thought that show would end up being one of their best live performances ever. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

Ha, never seen this. 

If you listen to strictly the audio you can tell they are all over the place. But with the pro shot footage and the band appearing to be having a good time it makes for a wildly fun show! 

The Texas Stadium show was probably why the band broke up haha that was the last show of the tour I believe and that stadium was not built for concerts. 

Someone post a link for the Texas audio or video then please?

The show was the absolute worst we ever played. For some reason, the guys just weren't into it and the reason was simple: they wanted to go home. [...] To add to our misery, it was raining that day. We were in Texas Stadium, a partially covered arena that had a huge opening over the playing field. From the stag, I could see rain pouring down on the crowd, but we were kept mostly dry, except when it would get gusty. It was the weirdest-looking setup. We played out set in record time. just wanting to get it over with[Steven's autobiography, "My Appetite for Destruction", 2010, p. 174-175]

Also, interesting to see Izzy and how he performed completely different live than the rest of the band.  Slash and Duff are practically going into the crowd, Steven is interacting with people from behind the drum kit, Axl is Axl and Izzy just stays in the background.

It doesn't detract at all from his playing (which was very audible in this mix) at all but I can see how it became another thing on Axl's list of issues.

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

If you listen to strictly the audio you can tell they are all over the place. But with the pro shot footage and the band appearing to be having a good time it makes for a wildly fun show! 

The Texas Stadium show was probably why the band broke up haha that was the last show of the tour I believe and that stadium was not built for concerts. 

So it's out there? Let's see it!

16 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I was just watching RQ from the Ritz in '88 on youtube.  For some reason Axl disappears and misses the whole second verse.  In some ways it's cool that you can clearly hear the guitar of the melody but it's very odd.  You can even see Slash shrugging like somebody asked where Axl went.  Anybody know the story behind this?

love when axl did that shit back then because it really allows you to see how fuckin fantastic GNR songs are even without vocals!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Also, interesting to see Izzy and how he performed completely different live than the rest of the band.  Slash and Duff are practically going into the crowd, Steven is interacting with people from behind the drum kit, Axl is Axl and Izzy just stays in the background.

It doesn't detract at all from his playing (which was very audible in this mix) at all but I can see how it became another thing on Axl's list of issues.

I think a lot of his 'invisibility' is just due to the cameraman not focusing on him, possibly because he's more static.

I don't think Axl had an issue about him having not enough stage presence. If anything he was more concerned about him playing badly, as he stated years later with the whole turning the amps down thing.