'88 at the Ritz - Axl MIA in middle of RQ

3 hours ago, Nice Boy said:

I think a lot of his 'invisibility' is just due to the cameraman not focusing on him, possibly because he's more static.

I don't think Axl had an issue about him having not enough stage presence. If anything he was more concerned about him playing badly, as he stated years later with the whole turning the amps down thing.

anyone that keeps spreading this axl nonsense about izzy should point at least ONE TIME when izzy fucked up

"playing badly", yeah right axl

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Also, interesting to see Izzy and how he performed completely different live than the rest of the band.  Slash and Duff are practically going into the crowd, Steven is interacting with people from behind the drum kit, Axl is Axl and Izzy just stays in the background.

It doesn't detract at all from his playing (which was very audible in this mix) at all but I can see how it became another thing on Axl's list of issues.

List of issues? Seriously? If anything Izzy's being static on stage is cool and offers a nice counterpoint to effeminate Axl, outrageous Slash and punk Duff.. Add a foaming Popcorn in the background and you got the perfect act. 

Once again, Izzy wasn't fired. LOL He quit because the band had become an abomination.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've always wondered why Axl leaves the stage so frequently. In '91 the Dallas show he left often and Izzy would sing but that was a trying time as it was the 1st show after St Louis. I had always assumed that it was usually to get water or to take a break since he was always sprinting from side to side and never missing a note on vocals. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Maybe he had to shit? I always wonder how guys get through a 2 or 3 hour set without shitting. I guess they could hold it but that's not good for you.

If you can't go 3 hours without a shit you might want to see a doctor.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Gnrcane said:

If you can't go 3 hours without a shit you might want to see a doctor.

Even if he doesn't have to shit every 3 hours exactly, how do you know you're next shit won't fall within the 3 hours you're on stage? Maybe that's why he wouldn't go on until midnight. By midnight you're bowels are usually evacuated for the day.

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

Maybe he had to shit? I always wonder how guys get through a 2 or 3 hour set without shitting. I guess they could hold it but that's not good for you.

you dont need to shit during "in action" because your nervous system is pushing the heart and slow down your digestive system.  At relaxation you heart will be slowed down and pushed your digestive system

5 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Even if he doesn't have to shit every 3 hours exactly, how do you know you're next shit won't fall within the 3 hours you're on stage? Maybe that's why he wouldn't go on until midnight. By midnight you're bowels are usually evacuated for the day.

I don't but the vast majority of concert (or sporting event) attendees don't shit during it. There are not close to enough stalls at a stadium or arena to handle that.

People taking a piss is another story and most do. The performers probably sweat so much that they don't have to although I'd imagine they might during the break before the encore. 

7 hours ago, Kwick1 said:

I've always wondered why Axl leaves the stage so frequently. In '91 the Dallas show he left often and Izzy would sing but that was a trying time as it was the 1st show after St Louis. I had always assumed that it was usually to get water or to take a break since he was always sprinting from side to side and never missing a note on vocals. 

Either for

A) costume change

B) to consult with his psychic if he should ask the crowd to generate  positive vibes in order to bring karmic balance.

C) wanting to haver a mental breakdown because his head was somewhere else

D) getting on a golf cart to go back to his hotel room.

43 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Either for

A) costume change

B) to consult with his psychic if he should ask the crowd to generate  positive vibes in order to bring karmic balance.

C) wanting to haver a mental breakdown because his head was somewhere else

D) getting on a golf cart to go back to his hotel room.

C) for help oxygen tank.

To add to what others have said, this Rocket Queen performance is a DIRECT result of the monitors. This performance gets put on a pedastool because it's really the ONLY quality audio AND video that exists from the Appetite era band, buts is hardly a great show honestly. Throughout the concert THEY were having serious issues with the monitors. You can hear them LOUDLY during SCOM. At one point during the show Axl says "Like the Romans said, we love the monitor men, but why are they alive?" 

So they were having technical issues throughout the show, and to make matters worse they were under a lot of pressure for that show. You gotta remember this is BEFORE SCOM and PC were released as singles. Yes Jungle was out, but that was about it. They followed Great White that night, and supposedly Great White killed it that night. They sounded great and super tight. I wanna say Alan Nivien has stated that Great Whites performance stressed the guys in GNR out a bit, mainly Axl and Slash. They were REALLY nervous to follow them, and to add to that the show was on MTV!!! 

So all these factors lead to the incident during RQ. Which NONE of it mattered, the show went down in history or infamy (depending on your perspective). But I think these bad memories of it, is why this show has NEVER really been embraced by the band. It's out there, they are fine with that. But it'll never get an official type release.

With all fairness to the monitor man, Axl didn’t show up for soundcheck and his voice was on the verge of blowing out all night. If you don’t sound check ever it doesn’t make it easy to work with a volatile vocal style and someone who runs all over the stage making monitors likely to feedback depending on your position on stage.  I suspect Axl blames the sound crew a lot over the years for his voice being not where he’d like it. 

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 11:29 AM, tkarmy said:

With all fairness to the monitor man, Axl didn’t show up for soundcheck and his voice was on the verge of blowing out all night. If you don’t sound check ever it doesn’t make it easy to work with a volatile vocal style and someone who runs all over the stage making monitors likely to feedback depending on your position on stage.  I suspect Axl blames the sound crew a lot over the years for his voice being not where he’d like it. 

You know this as a fact?

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

I just got a weird mental image of Joey Ramone in gladiator attire.

tbf I wouldn't have been surprised if Axl had returned to the stage dressed as a Roman Centurion or something during one of his multiple costume changes in the UYI days, haha.. it's not a far stretch from appearing in body armour and biker shorts, is it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nice Boy said:

tbf I wouldn't have been surprised if Axl had returned to the stage dressed as a Roman Centurion or something during one of his multiple costume changes in the UYI days, haha.. it's not a far stretch from appearing in body armour and biker shorts, is it

It's not a far stretch at all, lol, all bets were off with axl's apparel.  Come to think of it, he kind of did wear body armour with the chest protector he was sporting briefly.