Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

21 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Though I disagree, I think you're more upset about lacking content than marketing.

I am upset about the lack of content, but i still think their marketing is subpar.

As for marketing, I think they've done a good job. They're getting the message out in a no-nonsense way through social media - which is the main way to go these days.

If they were getting their messages out effectively, there wouldn't be confusion. I know it can seem cool to be mysterious and hype up information, but that leads to expectations, and when a company does not temper expectations, they risk confusing and upsetting their stakeholders. They drove high expectations in certain announcements on social media, which led to eventual disappointment when people found out that the huge announcements were simply extra tour dates.

Billboards... GN'R are of the few who did a creative job before announcing the NITL tour. They got acknowledgement from the industry for the way they did that.

Physical channels like billboards work for big things like building interest in tours, but i am sceptical of their effectiveness when they do not ascertain the product they are trying to promote. In relation to the tours, the billboards were supported by media attention. What are people meant to take away from the billboard featured in this thread, which is not currently supported by any other information? 1) That it has something to do with Appetite for Destruction, and 2) GNR.fm. Can retention of this be guaranteed when the AFD deluxe set reaches market when it hasn't even been announced yet? Sure, the billboard will probably remain following the announcement, but it is expecting people to be highly involved, at least enough that they would actually search the website.

Radio streams... maybe less than before or less than other bands. I think social media is more powerful these days anyways.

Radio streams are limited in reach, and it boggles the mind why Guns N' Roses used billboards to promote their AFD 30th in an unspecified way, which was eventually revealed to be a concert restricted to a radio stream. 1) the radio stream is, again, limited in reach. 2) the ad tells people nothing and even if they are so inclined to look it up, will discover that it is nothing tangible and is only related to a radio station. 

You forgot to mention the fact that they teased the reunion announcement in cinemas, putting an ad before Force Awakens.

I was mentioning primary marketing channels. the reunion teaser was up for a couple of weeks or so? It was cool, but it wasn't anything special.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

my guess: it's one night only full reunion with Izzy and Steve with audio stream. A simple Setlist including all AfD hits and some other like KOHD, YCBM and Don't Cry. Nothin more

That is exactly ALL I'd want anymore for GNR. I don't really care about new music etc... just a shot of the 5 of them doing what they used to do best. Then we can all move on happy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Spirit said:

Though I disagree, I think you're more upset about lacking content than marketing.

As for marketing, I think they've done a good job. They're getting the message out in a no-nonsense way through social media - which is the main way to go these days.

Billboards... GN'R are of the few who did a creative job before announcing the NITL tour. They got acknowledgement from the industry for the way they did that.

Radio streams... maybe less than before or less than other bands. I think social media is more powerful these days anyways.

You forgot to mention the fact that they teased the reunion announcement in cinemas, putting an ad before Force Awakens.

Spot on. Their marketing strategy for NITL was actually really smart. People bought into the cryptic approach because of all the secrecy surrounding the reunion. They built excitement and announced the dates a few days later when everyone was speculating about the cryptic message/video/etc. 

5 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Spot on. Their marketing strategy for NITL was actually really smart. People bought into the cryptic approach because of all the secrecy surrounding the reunion. They built excitement and announced the dates a few days later when everyone was speculating about the cryptic message/video/etc. 

I think differentiating the target segment is important here. Were Guns N' Roses fans (both hardcore and casual) engaging with the messages? Were average rock enthusiasts? How did Guns N' Roses know they were reaching them? Were average audience attendees responding to the cryptic videos, and was there retention in audiences beyond Guns N' Roses fans? We were engaging, but we aren't the only target audience. 

I think a serious question can be raised about public knowledge of the Guns N' Roses reunion based on the widespread rumours and news reports at the time, rather than the early cryptic messages. Once the billboards went up and official announcement were made, obviously the media then supported the campaign. However it is important to note that while the billboards may have been executed successfully, there were some which were puzzling (the yellow LA one, and this one...), and there were many other marketing attempts which faltered (see social media, failing to manage expectations, and having fans actually be disappointed in more tour announcements...).

Guns N' Roses had done some early NITL marketing right, but i would posit that many attempts have perhaps missed the mark. I wouldn't call what they have done 'great'.

33 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I'm envisioning a re-release of Appetite as the remastered album; in a box; with a book with pictures, and retailing at a hefty price. 

Ding ding ding. I think so too. Its going to be like $299 for a book with pictures available online, and two live tracks from shows also available online.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I think differentiating the target segment is important here. Were Guns N' Roses fans (both hardcore and casual) engaging with the messages? Were average rock enthusiasts? How did Guns N' Roses know they were reaching them? Were average audience attendees responding to the cryptic videos, and was there retention in audiences beyond Guns N' Roses fans? We were engaging, but we aren't the only target audience. 

I think a serious question can be raised about public knowledge of the Guns N' Roses reunion based on the widespread rumours and news reports at the time, rather than the early cryptic messages. Once the billboards went up and official announcement were made, obviously the media then supported the campaign. However it is important to note that while the billboards may have been executed successfully, there were some which were puzzling (the yellow LA one, and this one...), and there were many other marketing attempts which faltered (see social media, failing to manage expectations, and having fans actually be disappointed in more tour announcements...).

Guns N' Roses had done some early NITL marketing right, but i would posit that many attempts have perhaps missed the mark. I wouldn't call what they have done 'great'.

Fair enough. In their defense, there's only so many ways you can market tour dates, which is probably why they used the same marketing channels 

Guns do not do archival, things to get you excited about, stuff. Everything is sort of an expensive ''advertiserial'' form of nostalgia, basically re-rendering Appetite's tropes on something nobody especially wants like beach towels or fire-extinguishers. There is always this aura whether it be in their fanclub or around the aforementioned beach towel, that they are absolutely desperate to remove your money from your wallet. 

Does anyone follow sports clubs, their official sites. They often possess the same sort of impersonal-corporate way of doing things? Disney possess it. Ticketmaster have it. Etc etc.

It is hard to describe in words but you know it when you see it.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

GNR act like they see themselves as a one-hit wonder with the Appetite album, yet they aren't.

If they would just stop concentrating on Appetite so much and give the Illusions some more love, especially in their setlist, I'd be happy already.

Everything they do always leads back to Appetite.

• Like 2

I don’t believe we will ever get a full reunion of the afd 5 or any new material from them in the foreseeable future .They have given us zero reason to believe otherwise not going to get my hopes up until they prove otherwise 

2 hours ago, Pmina3 said:

L'immagine può contenere: sMS

Hmmm, define "tons". Realistically it'll be really fucking overpriced. And I'm not paying for anything that isn't new music. Sure, I'll probably download a live show or a demo disc. And maybe pick it up later in a sale bin to complete the collection. But I'm not even remotely willing to pay big bucks for this. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

GNR act like they see themselves as a one-hit wonder with the Appetite album, yet they aren't.

If they would just stop concentrating on Appetite so much and give the Illusions some more love, especially in their setlist, I'd be happy already.

Everything they do always leads back to Appetite.

In retrospect thats understandable. It's by far their most impactful meaningful album. UYI's have the singles and all, but as albums they were a mess. AFD was the big one historically. 

Plus 

Meanwhile Axl, Slash(in between recording SMKC3 of course) and Duff are still busy counting money from the last leg of NITL Tour and not giving a single fuck on what's going on right now... :axl::slash::duff::dance:

Heck Duff and his wife even went to dinner with Axl, Beta and Fernando just to help them count money overnight. :lol:

Edited by GoForJMark
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, GoForJMark said:

Meanwhile Axl, Slash(in between recording SMKC3 of course) and Duff are still busy counting money from the last leg of NITL Tour and not giving a single fuck on what's going on right now... :axl::slash::duff::dance:

Heck Duff and his wife even went to dinner with Axl, Beta and Fernando just to help them count money overnight. :lol:

Oh that's cool that Axl had Duff and his wife over for dinner. It seems to suggest they're not just doing this for the money and actually like being around each other.

1 minute ago, tremolo said:

I didn’t read the whole thread, but I highly doubt this is anything more than an AFD re-release.

They missed their chance to do this in a big way last year for the 30th anniversary of the album. Let’s see how they fuck this one up.

If done right, they could offer demos, a photo album, press releases, interviews of the era, blu-ray of some early shows, al in a beautiful detailed box that is autographed by the AFD5... a true collector’s item.

it will more likely be the remastered album, a keychain, a poster and a t-shirt (sort of like the CD package) and it will retail for $300-$500.

They still have the day it went #1 anniversary to work with, and maybe whatever they're planning for this just wouldn't have been ready last year. 

This forum is as disfunctional a family as the original 5 of GnR. Haven't we known for awhile that a remastered AFD would be released? Seems I've heard this rumor for several years but true to GnR it's a year past the 30th anniversary. It may have special live DVD which would be awesome or I pray previously unreleased music would be even better. But I have to believe that anything GnR does with AFD will be done with extreme care and will be great. I don't think for one second that this will be a lame simple remastered release given that AFD is regarded as one of the best ever complete albums. You quite simply don't touch that if it can't be made stronger. 

Once again, I'm reading criticism of Axl. For years Axl has diligently worked to move GnR forward. I don't think for one second that he's given up on that. Axl in all his actions loves GnR but this reunion tour and release of AFD is for the masses of GnR fans that can't move past AFD. 

• Like 3

In the last few days, I had several copyright claims on my videos and I do have them on almost all videos stating i can have them uploaded but Geffen or whatever company will monetize them which is fine by me.

But these were different because they are suddenly blocked on youtube meaning they got removed from my channel

- Ain't Goin' Down No More (Instrumental Version \ 1986 Sound City - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

- Move To The City (Acoustic Version / 1986 Sound City Session) - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

- Jumpin' Jack Flash (Acoustic Version / 1986 Sound City Session) - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

- Move To The City (Acoustic Version / 1986 Sound City Session) - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

These have been sitting there for a while and suddenly they got blocked same goes for the mystic studio tape it had to be removed too.

So maybe GnFnR is looking to release those demo sessions

• Like 3
  • Sad 1