Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

1 minute ago, tremolo said:

That last paragraph is bs.

It’s like Billy Corgan bitching about how fans don’t give a fuck about his solo career and pumpkins post-Machina 2, and now pulling a half-assed nostalgia tour with the excuse that fans never managed to move forward with him and got stuck with Gish, SD, MCATIS and Adore, so he is giving fans what they want.

Axl has always tried to move GnR forward and released CD which is critically acclaimed and obviously a progression of GnR but most fans just want the AFD and Axl and Slash. I wish I was mistaken because CD is a great LP.  Axl I don't think needed the NITLT but is simply giving fans what they have long wanted a reunion. 

For me, I would rather have CD II but saying that, it's been very special to see Axl, Slash and Duff together again and yes, the show with Adler too.  I do think, this is what most GnR fans want and they want AFD. 

• Like 2

If this is a box set, please don't just throw the Ritz show in it. Theres very little good live Appetite stuff out there. Don't be lazy and just put that in it! Let's get some unseen stuff. This could be an epic set if done right! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Once again, I'm reading criticism of Axl. For years Axl has diligently worked to move GnR forward. I don't think for one second that he's given up on that. Axl in all his actions loves GnR but this reunion tour and release of AFD is for the masses of GnR fans that can't move past AFD. 

I don’t think there is that much criticism of Axl at all in this thread, more criticism of the main three together. Personally I’ve always wished he wouldn’t hate the past so much and embrace it a little more so as to be able to release things like this. Next should be something for the Illusions, he has plenty in the vault from those shows and who knows what else. 

It doesn’t have to interfere with moving the band forward and making new music. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 3

11 hours ago, Chunder Monkey said:

AFD seriously needs a remaster IMO

Actually, it doesn't. No remaster will sound as good as Barry Diament's original mastering. Not even Steve Hoffman could do it with his MFSL.

It will be more compressed, less dynamic range, etc.

I do want a deluxe edition with demos, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGeneral said:

GNR act like they see themselves as a one-hit wonder with the Appetite album, yet they aren't.

If they would just stop concentrating on Appetite so much and give the Illusions some more love, especially in their setlist, I'd be happy already.

Everything they do always leads back to Appetite.

The problem is not concentrating on AFD. During shows they concentrate too much on covers and CD songs. I agree they could add more UYI songs to the set list

I'm just happy we're getting something this year. 2018 was looking pretty bleak as it was and with a definite "lull" coming up with Slash touring and Axl doing Axl things, I'm glad there will be a last hurrah to hold us over. I think I'd be the only person here who would actually cherish a remastered album and buy it day one.

Remasters are happening more for Amazon & iTunes than for vinyl or CD, and a lossless HD remaster, maybe a 5.1 -  but they want to have something physical to promote to hype it up and make the rounds. Hoping for a "making of AFD" and a massive box set along the lines of what Metallica's been delivering.  There's probably great alternate versions. We don't know how much of the AFD era shows were recorded on multitrack, if any.  Marc said there was still footage that people outside of the band has never seen, but he said he gave the band copies of what he had. 

AFD 5 won't happen except in a residency situation or if they choose to do all of AFD as a set, but I don't think it'll be just the 5 of them on stage. 

Now we wait to see if Izzy puts a statement out. 

3 hours ago, YourMother'sDruthers said:

Nobody rests harder on their laurels than Axl Rose (or Steven). No one cares about a reissue of a 30 year old album everyone has heard a million times or a live show anyone can watch on YouTube. Do something new and relevant or Phuck off.

We all want new music, but to say no one cares about deluxe reissues is silly. Every classic band out there does it, and if no one cares, they wouldn't. 

Doesn’t Steven have social media.  Someone should post it to him and see if he responds.  He would be the one to respond over the other ones.  I think it’s nothing.  Steven is going on tour with his band.  

I also think Steven has dug himself a deep hole with his comments about Guns N Roses.

11 hours ago, Chunder Monkey said:

I hope it is a re-issue. AFD seriously needs a remaster IMO

I don't think it needs a remaster just because Barry Diament in my opinion did an excellent job getting the most out of the mix and it sounds great

I would enjoy hearing a remix for fun, however I think that it would be hard to top the original mastering.  If you look at the Purple Rain remaster that came out last year, nothing was improved sonically they just compressed the shit out of it and added more bass, which would be my fear with a Appetite remaster

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I'm just happy we're getting schatting this year. 2018 was looking p retty bleak as it was and with a definite "lull" coming up with Slash touring and Axl doing Axl things, I'm glad there will be a last hurrah to hold us over. I think I'd be the only person here who would actually cherish a remastered album and buy it day one.

They knew last year in Stockholm there was a 2nd EU run got chattimg Too someone from LN who lives not too far from me i asked about 2018 they said very

http://www.metalinsider.net/news/is-guns-n-roses-appetite-for-destruction-era-line-up-reuniting

Nothing we aint seen but as always the hype

46 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I'm just happy we're getting something this year. 2018 was looking pretty bleak as it was and with a definite "lull" coming up with Slash touring and Axl doing Axl things, I'm glad there will be a last hurrah to hold us over. I think I'd be the only person here who would actually cherish a remastered album and buy it day one.

Just out of curiosity. What is it about the original Appetite that you think would sound better if touched up in the studio? 

11 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I don't think it needs a remaster just because Barry Diament in my opinion did an excellent job getting the most out of the mix and it sounds great

I would enjoy hearing a remix for fun, however I think that it would be hard to top the original mastering.  If you look at the Purple Rain remaster that came out last year, nothing was improved sonically they just compressed the shit out of it and added more bass, which would be my fear with a Appetite remaster

Agreed. Although considering how Chinese Democracy was mastered I’d think they wouldn’t go in that direction if it were remastered. 

Its definitely time for a deluxe release though. There is plenty of stuff they can throw into that to make it intriguing. The.fm address is interesting. Lots of directions they can go long term if you think about it. 

As as far as original 5 performances, I think you’re all overthinking it. The amount of time and energy it would take to put that together for a one off, wouldn’t be worth the royalties it would generate.

A reissue most likely benefits Universal’s revenue stream the most, and allows everyone to at least monetize the unreleased stuff that has been floating around over the years. Hopefully they throw in some goodies we haven’t heard 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FRANSAD said:

In the last few days, I had several copyright claims on my videos and I do have them on almost all videos stating i can have them uploaded but Geffen or whatever company will monetize them which is fine by me.

But these were different because they are suddenly blocked on youtube meaning they got removed from my channel

- Ain't Goin' Down No More (Instrumental Version \ 1986 Sound City - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

- Move To The City (Acoustic Version / 1986 Sound City Session) - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

- Jumpin' Jack Flash (Acoustic Version / 1986 Sound City Session) - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

- Move To The City (Acoustic Version / 1986 Sound City Session) - Guns N' Roses  -  claimed by UMG for Geffen - Blocked in all countries

These have been sitting there for a while and suddenly they got blocked same goes for the mystic studio tape it had to be removed too.

So maybe GnFnR is looking to release those demo sessions

That’s great information. 

What is UMG - is it a subset of Geffen?

1 minute ago, Apollo said:

Just out of curiosity. What is it about the original Appetite that you think would sound better if touched up in the studio? 

Slightly raise the bass in parts, slightly lower the drums. Add a few more tracks or live versions. A proper remastering also means better quality which I'd prefer for my headphones, while driving, etc.