Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

I really don't care about old B side tracks and reissues. AFD was perfect when it was released and I don't really care to pay for a remastered version.

Now if they announced they were releasing new material, then I'd be interested 

3 hours ago, tony adler said:

Also I heard SOYL twice on Cincinnati rock radio today!  What a shot of pure adrenaline. 🤘

That's cool! I have not heard it on my local rock station yet.....so I asked them if they knew about it and sent them a link to the You Tube video. 

7 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

That's cool! I have not heard it on my local rock station yet.....so I asked them if they knew about it and sent them a link to the You Tube video. 

Wow... This is a new kind of crazy. Fans doing promotion for GNR, sending links and stuff because GNR can't be bothered...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Tadsy said:

I don't want to spoil anyone's fun, and I'm sure the people parting with the 1k are super excited about their purchase but I'm really miffed about what's so exciting? 

I'd say collection-wise the vinyl has substantial value and also the lithos, the Axl Sunglasses/Skeleton and Slash one are pretty cool, beyond that though the other stuff seems much less substantial.  If I was going to spend that much money on GNR merch though I'd buy stuff like the CD Red Hand, AFD Signed by all members, that badass Tokyo/Godzilla Poster, etc, stuff that has more inherent value imo from a rarity/open market standpoint.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

And the tour lithos are a lot more limited. I believe those were limited to 500 each. There's 10,000 of these ones each. 

Yes but how many attend the concert? The concert Lithos are sold at concerts. A much smaller crowd. The box set is a much bigger audience then thousands that attended a concert. 

So 10000 worldwide isn't very many just as 500 for a concert of thousands isn't very many.

The Lithos are one of the things that bumped it up higher. Those who end up wanting one will pay very high on Ebay or where ever.

6 hours ago, BOSSY78 said:

Yes but how many attend the concert? The concert Lithos are sold at concerts. A much smaller crowd. The box set is a much bigger audience then thousands that attended a concert. 

So 10000 worldwide isn't very many just as 500 for a concert of thousands isn't very many.

The Lithos are one of the things that bumped it up higher. Those who end up wanting one will pay very high on Ebay or where ever.

It is a bit different, but you still have to look at the raw numbers from a collecting POV, if a certain litho is particularly cool / sought after it's gonna go for a lot more on Ebay / elsewhere because there are only 300, with probably half the people who bought 'em at the show keeping them and then flippers getting the rest, so a tiny, tiny supply for something that might be, depending on the art, really in demand.  

The lithos for this, though, the entry is way higher than a tour one ($30-50 vs $1000), it's likely that more people keep the set rather than attempt to flip it, so it's a bit of a question of what the supply will be online of people attempting to part these out.  I said $50+/each and as donny pointed out that might be overly conservative but I wouldn't go too high with it.

Regardless of the fact that I'm still planning to buy the Super Deluxe edition, I've got to say they really could've done a better job with the musical contents of this set. I mean, for comparison's sake, last year Stone Temple Pilots released a similarly-sized reissue of Core - an (Albeit excellent) album that had nowhere near the impact of AFD, nor do STP have nearly the following that GN'R do. Disc one of that set had the album remastered, disc two contained four pre-STP demos from when the band was called Mighty Joe Young, five demos of Core songs from the early STP days, and four alternate takes of album songs previously released as B-sides, disc three had two concerts from 1993, disc four was the audio from their MTV Unplugged special, disc five was a DVD with the 5.1 mix of the album and all the promo videos, and it still included the LP. Of that set, the MJY demos were circulating but never officially released, the STP demos had never circulated, the two concerts were uncirculated (Excluding two tracks which had been released as B-sides), and the MTV Unplugged special had obviously aired on TV but the sound quality was far superior to any circulating source. The packaging is quite similar to what the AFD Super Deluxe appears to be (Without any trinkets), and that set came in at a whopping $80. And they didn't even include everything from that era.

If you want another comparison to a more trinket-oriented boxset, let's look at Alice Cooper's Old School box set from about 5 years ago. Granted this isn't necessarily a reissue set, but it's pretty similar to the Locked N' Loaded set in terms of contents. That included two CD's of of early demos, alternate versions of songs, several live tracks - nearly all uncirculated material, another CD officially releasing a widely circulated concert bootleg from 1972, a fourth CD with an hour long interview with the four surviving members of the Alice Cooper Group, a DVD with a roughly two hour documentary covering the Alice Cooper Group era, the 1972 bootleg on LP, a 7" with two unreleased tracks of the pre-Alice Cooper band The Nazz, a 60 page hardcover book of unreleased photos from the ACG era, as well as reproductions of ticket stubs, setlists, 5 8x11 lithos of early concert posters and artwork, and a reproduction of the Killer tourbook, all of which is housed in a school desk like the one on the cover of School's Out. Price tag? $260.

We know there's more stuff from the AFD era that isn't included - for starters, they didn't include everything from the Sound City sessions. Then theres the Pasha and Mystic sessions. And we don't even know if there's other demo tapes out there. And what about live shows? We know Canter has some stuff in his collection (Granted it's not professionally recorded, but it would still be a great document of the club days), there's at least the Marquee 1987 and The Ritz 1987 and 1988 existing as SBD recordings, and I'm sure others we aren't aware of. 

The point is, it's not hard to put together an exciting box set that includes unavailable material, in exciting packaging, and making it affordable for your average Joe. I'm excited for the Super Deluxe edition, but GN'R really did miss the mark here. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Don't know if anyone has pointed this out but you're pretty screwed if you want all the demos on physical format but don't want to pay for the box. The two CD set does not contain all tracks. 

I'm assuming you mean the Locked N Loaded edition when you say "the box", but all of the music is also on the Super Deluxe edition.

3 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'm assuming you mean the Locked N Loaded edition when you say "the box", but all of the music is also on the Super Deluxe edition.

Yeah sorry I made a mistake. That version is still 150 pounds. 

5 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I LOVE that despite that fact there's an $800 price difference between the two for what basically amounts to a few bits of paper and a fake leather box. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey
  • GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I LOVE that despite that fact there's an $800 price difference between the two for what basically amounts to a few bits of paper and a fake leather box. :lol: 

You also get a bandanna to wear while you think about the price difference

I feel that if they were going to justify a huge price difference, do it with more content instead of just crap. More live shows, hell, maybe even an interview with the members discussing the older content and what it was like when they wrote/recorded the songs etc. Make it worth it.