Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

7 hours ago, prettytiedup88 said:

The rights to the old unreleased material will be muddy and for the big 3 to share max royalties, rerecording makes sense. Like Def Leppard had to when their catalogue was put on spotify etc. They rerecorded the hits so they could benefit financially. 

Getting the current band to rerecord instrumentals under old Axl vocals wouldnt be difficult.  

that would be utterly disgusting and pathetic for everyone involved

i dont believe axl, slash, duff, ricky and franky would go that low

that would be like 18 times worse than live era

and like 180 times worse than axl singing coma in rock in rio 2017

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Just listened to the clip of Shadow of Your Love. To me it just sounds like one of the old versions with a new solo riff added to the end there. The new solo riff guitar has a much more sort of processes sound. Is that really Slash? I felt it kinda grated against the old song.

i felt exactly the same

the metal rhythm part (is that really slash?) also seemed a bit alien to me

8 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

that would be utterly disgusting and pathetic for everyone involved

i dont believe axl, slash, duff, ricky and franky would go that low

that would be like 18 times worse than live era

and like 180 times worse than axl singing coma in rock in rio 2017

I get that it would be bad Frank replacing Steven's parts and the same goes to Fortus.

But what if let's say that Axl, Slash and Duff felt like re-recordind they own parts? I mean, those songs were demos and weren't released because those were not complete/good enough at the time. So if they feel like re-recording some things would make the songs better I say go for it.

Edited by Manfisman

1 minute ago, Manfisman said:

I get that it would be bad Frank replacing Steven's and the same goes to Fortus.

But what if let's say that Axl, Slash and Duff felt like re-recordind they own parts? I mean, those songs were demos and weren't released because those were not complete/good enough at the time. So if they feel like re-recording some things would make the songs better I say go for it.

well, that would make sense if it it was some unreleased song(s) that they decided to record them for a new album

shadow of your love was actually released so that makes no sense

also, keep in mind that we dont know for sure which songs were recorded as demos and which songs were actually properly recorded for official release (and then shelved)

shadow of your love clearly went beyond demo stage

there has to be new music. the average fan doesnt care about a box set. it probably cost them a boatload of money to put up those billboards and posters. its either this tour is going around the world again or a new album is coming. nothing else would justify that kind of advertising budget

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

Quotes two and five:  One-fifth of all publishing of the #1 debut-selling album of all time?  Adler.  Laying down the party feel and groove to arguably the greatest hard rock album of all time?  Adler.  Taking pride in the music and the four other musicians who created and recorded it?  Adler.  The only one who says whatever the fuck he pleases and is still rn’r?  Adler.

Quick, but fun, legal facts to snuff out myth propagated in this thread by the few (I am NOT directing this at the three remaining quotes, merely answering their questions along the way) as users visit for news related to this viral marketing campaign imagined and launched by Universal:

LiveNation is the legal entity acting as promoter for the NITL tour.  Period.  No one’s personal “manager” is promoting the tour any more than you and I are by speaking or writing about it.  Universal is promoting the matter that it says will be divulged on Friday.

Slash maintains his own separate management and counsel apart from D/A.  Duff has his own separate management and counsel apart from S/A.  The singer is managed by his live-ins. The singer’s manager(s), thus, do not manage Slash or Duff.  Full stop.

The partnership formed by S/D/A can promote (or authorize third parties on its behalf, such as Universal) any and all endeavors using the imagery/artwork depicting the likeness of Adler and Izzy.  The S/D/A p’ship owns the back catalogue (AFD-UYI).  S/D/A control p’ship assets for licensing, synch and merch for all purposes, including promotional. 

Adler was unlawfully removed from the original p’ship, and thoroughly trounced S/D/A in legal proceedings, including for damages.  Izzy sold his equity share to S/D/A in ‘91.  A financially wise move—for the next quarter century.  Both Adler and Izzy maintain publishing royalties.

The singer owns the mark Guns n’ Roses.  He pirated it in a ’92 MOU to the p’ship agreement, and S/D failed to bring a colorable claim within Cali’s four-year statute of limitations.  Legal averments in pleadings (that were not denied by the singer’s counsel, and therefore deemed admitted) prove that the singer formed a new band on NYD ’96 and registered a new p’ship.  His new legal entity controlled the use of its assets after ’96, which translates to 15 songs, 14 of which landed on Wikipedia’s list of worst all-time albums.  The singer never controlled the back catalogue or original p’ship assets, though attempted to do so, and was met with litigation brought by Original Remaining Partners S/D, losing once again.  The S/D/A p’ship continued throughout with S/D in effect the majority.  This is why, e.g., the singer could not license songs or merchandize S/D/A logos and artwork.  To simplify, from NYD ’96 until 2016, there were two biz entities d/b/a Guns n’ Roses:  1. S/D/A and 2. Rose’s solo band (having legal use of the mark Guns n’ Roses—be it for a line of shorty-shorts, pianos or any other endeavor).

Each of these myths fester in stench on the pages in this thread.  One need not wonder long why a handful of users distract the rest with myth even when, in this case, it’s a release of some sort by Universal.  All that to get to this:  has the singer lost his mind?  He agreed with S/D to rerelease new-old music and potentially a few notes of new-new music?  Not in this lifetime.

Do you think he is going to include NEW music with this re-release, or what do you think it is exactly? Thanks for the post.

7 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

YOU can't just "magically" change tempos, not to my knowledge anyways (which I have no idea what pro tools is capable of). Anyways, I think it's "new" folks. It's NOT the old version, no way. 

If anybody "older" remembers, Guns used to do these stop gap releases before a break, in between the next album. That's what Lies was, so was TSI.  This feels like that to me, which is fine imo. It's SOMETHING!! Hopefully some more gems beyond shadow.

remember the demo of think about you that just surfaced a few weeks ago? yes, it was uncirculated after all these years.

so its fair to say that there may be one (or even several) uncirculated version(s) of shadow of your love recorded in the 80s

meaning that there is a very good chance that this version is not re-recorded

what troubles me is that last lick...

9 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

lol 44 pages of false hope garbage.

I couldn't give 2 shits about an AFD box set. Unless the original 5 are getting back together or they are releasing new music, none of this crap matters.

Axl 's opinion of his fanbase is very low.

How exactly do you know what his opinion concerning the fanbase is? :blink:

15 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

I couldn't give 2 shits about an AFD box set. Unless the original 5 are getting back together or they are releasing new music, none of this crap matters.

To you, none of it matters.  I would enjoy a AFD box set with great quality audio on stuff like SOYL

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

Wondering if any tracks exist that the fans have never heard and that includes demos etc.

you mean complete/finished songs that were properly recorded but never got in circulation?

thats a great question

if there is anything like that (the plague?) it surely is A+++++ material and hopefullyh they include it in this box

BUT considering that the "single" is shadow of your love, then its very likely they wont include anything like that on the box (even if it exists)

===

if you mean incomplete/unfinished/abandoned songs... then i suppose there must be HOURS and HOURS of that from that era. Every band piles incomplete (abandoned) songs, ideas, jams etc in the writing process for an album. I suppose that material (if recorded and kept to this day) is a big, sweet part of the GNR Holy Grail.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

AFD already has great quality audio. The only thing AFD related that I want to see is Izzy and Steven back in the band.

AFD has great quality audio sure, however the demos and whatnot in addition would be great to have properly transfered and digitized and mastered, it will be miles better than the demos we have now even if some of them are the same

If you aren't into it that's cool, I am though

1 hour ago, Manfisman said:

Man that IS current Axl.

Listen to this:

And then compare. It's sounds like today-Axl in studio

Exactly him. The clean falsetto in the Shadow of your love sounds like Ax today. Probably a re-recording Axl did before the reunion or earlier.

8 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

In June 1988, Axl said they had "about 27 songs together when Geffen first signed us" in March 26, 1986. Here are songs it is likely to think Axl might have thought of, including covers:

Reckless Life, Shadow of Your Love, Nice Boys, Move to the City, Mama Kin, Heartbreak Hotel, Anything Goes, Don't Cry, Think About You, Jumpin' Jack Flash, Back Off Bitch, Welcome to the Jungle, American Band, Rocket Queen, Paradise City, Whole Lotta Rosie, Nightrain, My Michelle, Goodnight Tonight, November Rain, and Out Ta Get Me.

All of these songs had either been played live by the band by the time they were signed or we know the band had worked on them. It's 22 of them. Did Axl simply exaggerate slightly, did he think of additional songs from Hollywood Rose, had they already rehearsed other songs that they would later play live...or are there some songs the band wrote but never got to play live and which we simply don't know about today? Songs that were discarded and with no demos surfacing?

Anyway, it would have been cooler to hear something new (even if old), rather than a slightly tweaked old song that the band has released as a B-side. But hey, I am not complaining - this is a lot better than nothing :) 

man how fantastic will it be if they have five (or four? or three? or two? or even just one!) unheard songs from that era and they release them in this appetite deluxe edition!

it doesnt sound like they will do that... i suppose if they were releasing any uncirculated song that no one knows about then they would be teasing us with it instead of shadow of your love, right?

i counted 21 songs on your list... i guess you could add hair of the dog to the list, right?

Edited by ludurigan