Live Like A Suicide Poster

WaR8080

IMG%5DI picked this up on Ebay this morning. Does anyone know anything about these as far as how rare they are?  The bottom of the poster reads...

""THIS POSTER IS DEDICATED TO OUR FRIENDS, FOR SUPPORT IN THE STREETS
AS WELL AS THE STAGE" 

Edited by WaR8080
Wanted to add what the poster said at the bottom
  • Like 2

Typo. I meant it looks brand new. That’s a 32 year old poster. I bought one not to long ago and it had some wear on it. I framed it and it came out great. I think it’s the rarest gnr poster that exist, and the best in my opinion. Very raw image. I would have bought it if I saw it on eBay. You get it for a good price? 

I believe this is  extremely rare but not 100 percent sure. They only made 10k albums. Im sure this poster was only given to record stores. The logo is the original one from slash. Love the paragraph at the end. The photo is raw. My favorite gnr poster. 

Hi DMac, I got mine at either a head shop or a record store back then, maybe 1988 or 89 I would guess. Wish I could remember exactly. I imagine you are correct about the rarity as I just don't recall seeing them again after then. I also got one of the "needle skull" t-shirts around the same time. I remember reading in a local newspaper at the time that they had banned them right after I bought mine.

There might have been only like  a 100 of these made if you think about it. It was 1986 and for an EP. I bet not a lot have survived.  This basically was the official poster of the band when you think about it. Before this thread I’ve only seen mine that I bought 6 months ago and got  it all framed up and this super gnr collector who had it on a video. he said he hasn’t seen any others. That fact war8080 has one that looks to be near mint is incredible. Mine has some wear but gives it character and it came out great professionally framed. This is the best gnr poster there is and the first. 

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, WaR8080 said:

IMG%5DI picked this up on Ebay this morning. Does anyone know anything about these as far as how rare they are?  The bottom of the poster reads...

""THIS POSTER IS DEDICATED TO OUR FRIENDS, FOR SUPPORT IN THE STREETS
AS WELL AS THE STAGE" 

I'm a hardcore collector of GNR memorabilia and I've been collecting for 30 years.  This is a great find!  Congratulations!  I can tell you without doubt this is the rarest GNR poster and the first official poster they issued.  There are probably fewer than 100 in existence but that's my best guess.  They probably only printed 500 back in 1986 but that's my best guess.   I never saw one until a few years ago and I bought one from a private collector and had it framed.  I think very few people have this poster and even fewer people have it in such good condition.  I'd consider buying it if you want to make some $$ on it.  But the main point is this is rare and I'm impressed with any collectors that have one so that's great!  -Kevin

This is the guy I was referring to that I saw the video I think. 

Kevin- your video on gnr central was able confirm I got a legit one. Thanks. I got it framed up and love it. It's not in perfect shape, as was used but came out great professionally framed. My favorite gnr poster. Having a hard time attaching my poster from my phone. I will post it when I get back.

I'm going to the Guns show on 6/3 in Berlin. I'm in Belgium now via Arizona and California. Kevin if you are going to the 6/3 guns show in Berlin, message me and let's meet up before the show to get some beers. Your collection is impressive. Would love to talk shop with you about it and my collection. 

On 5/24/2018 at 1:04 AM, Dmac said:

I believe this is  extremely rare but not 100 percent sure. They only made 10k albums. Im sure this poster was only given to record stores. The logo is the original one from slash. Love the paragraph at the end. The photo is raw. My favorite gnr poster. 

Not the original logo, but very similar!  See here:

http://www.troccolitm.com/Banner.html

http://www.troccolitm.com/1stBadge.html

http://www.troccolitm.com/BumpStick.html

They changed it up a bit.  Very slight differences but they are there!

18 hours ago, troccoli said:

Not the original logo, but very similar!  See here:

http://www.troccolitm.com/Banner.html

http://www.troccolitm.com/1stBadge.html

http://www.troccolitm.com/BumpStick.html

They changed it up a bit.  Very slight differences but they are there!

Definitely all cool but I think the Live Like a Suicide poster is special because it was the first official promo poster issued by the band.  I'm curious how many were issued, probably 500 but I'll have to ask Axl one day...  kidding...

2 hours ago, kevinb said:

Definitely all cool but I think the Live Like a Suicide poster is special because it was the first official promo poster issued by the band.  I'm curious how many were issued, probably 500 but I'll have to ask Axl one day...  kidding...

Didn't post because I thought one thing was cooler than another.  Just pointing out that the original logo was different.  Just out of curiosity, what makes everyone so sure this poster is official?  Not saying it isn't, not trying to cause grief, just curious. 

Gotta be the first official poster of the band. I guess the only ones that can confirm are the original 5 members and allen Nieven who was the manager and listed  on the poster. It would be great for one of them to comment on it. And why this image was selected back in 1986. This is such a great image. Very raw. I'm in Berlin and can't wait for the show on 6/3. If the band is reading this, please fill in the blanks. 

I definitely agree it is official, especially when you read the last line on the poster that is in Axl's typical printed style and says "this poster is dedicated to everyone that helped us, etc... (paraphrasing)…".  I actually think the poster is much more rare than the Live Like a Suicide record.  I've tried to reach out to Alan Niven to ask him about this poster but no luck...

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 5:25 PM, kevinb said:

I definitely agree it is official, especially when you read the last line on the poster that is in Axl's typical printed style and says "this poster is dedicated to everyone that helped us, etc... (paraphrasing)…".  I actually think the poster is much more rare than the Live Like a Suicide record.  I've tried to reach out to Alan Niven to ask him about this poster but no luck...

Kevin

That same wording is on the record itself.  They just also put it on the poster, whoever made it.

• 1 month later...