Guns N' Roses Make First Mainstream Rock Songs Chart Appearance Since 2009

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Completely agree! lol.  Only Guns would think to do this!

Rock music in 2018 is so weak that maybe other veteran acts could follow in GnR's footsteps and beat out young bands new releases with their old b sides too

Commercial rock music is weak today but other bands are certainly no GnR. 

9 minutes ago, soon said:

Completely agree! lol.  Only Guns would think to do this!

Rock music in 2018 is so weak that maybe other veteran acts could follow in GnR's footsteps and beat out young bands new releases with their old b sides too

Well old acts are still releasing new music so there's no point in that 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicklord said:

Well old acts are still releasing new music so there's no point in that 

hmmm, some.  Aerosmith seems unsure.  

My light hearted point was more that the old school sound has more appeal.  So even though veteran acts release current sounding new singles, those singles often arent as well embraced.

20 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Commercial rock music is weak today but other bands are certainly no GnR. 

I can imagine how well a Zep or Who tune could do. :shrugs:  

Or theres the interesting journey of Tiny Dancer.  Released in 72, really popularized in 2000 in the film Almost Famous, it went US Platinum in 2011 and a official video was finally made for it in 2017.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 3:49 PM, BlueJean Baby said:

Guns N' Roses debut at No. 31 with "Shadow of Your Love," ... last charted with "Better," which hit No. 18 in January 2009.

Am I the only person whose takeaway from this article was that 'new' music did better than an old b-side, and they should be focusing on new music if getting to the top of the charts is their goal? It's an accomplishment that this song charted at all, but if it proves anything it's that people are hungry for anything fresh from Axl and Slash.

• Like 1

Pretty cool to see them on the charts again...and with a 30+ year-old song to boot! 

Hopefully they take notice and realize that with the enormous success of the reunion/NITL tour, if they were to release a new album, it would undoubtedly go multi-platinum within weeks.  Get 'er done, G N' R!!!  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 12.5.2018 at 8:17 PM, Stoymatic said:

Funny that Paul Tobias is still coming up on. The guy is like a cancer that you can never get rid of. 

I wonder if he earnes some of the money from the release

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Pretty cool to see them on the charts again...and with a 30+ year-old song to boot! 

Hopefully they take notice and realize that with the enormous success of the reunion/NITL tour, if they were to release a new album, it would undoubtedly go multi-platinum within weeks.  Get 'er done, G N' R!!!  :thumbsup:

Ultimate classic rock page said that AFD jumprd five places to N° 39 on the catalog albums chart and eight places to N° 146 on the 200 albums chart

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Order of Nine said:

I think by next week it could break the top ten. People should request it, if this single does good I'm sure more would come 

I agree. Fans complain about new music. Well keep up the requests and that shows GnR still has quite a bit of value. It's a stepping stone to new music.

Just now, BOSSY78 said:

I agree. Fans complain about new music. Well keep up the requests and that shows GnR still has quite a bit of value. It's a stepping stone to new music.

I'm out of dolphins. 

They have to in order to continue or else the tour will eventually dry up. It's inevitable the music will help them

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't SOYL chart position for Mainstream Rock - a niche chart - and not the general chart?  You know, like the Hot 100 or iTunes top 10?  

I dunno, making the top 20 of a niche chart doesn't seem like a big deal to me?  Not to rain on everyone's parade, just trying to keep a level head about it.  Now if SOYL cracked the top ten of Billboard Hot 100 or iTunes, then we'd have reason to feel excited.  

There is a glimmer of hope for Rock though.  Arctic Monkeys has just scored no.1 in the UK with their new album (except you wouldn't really class their album as Rock! LOL).  Not sure how they do in the States though. 

22 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

It was nice to hear the DJ say, "coming up we have songs from, blah, blah, blah, and we will kick it all off with some new GnR" yesterday

If I may make a request that in light of DJ Ashba that we please say Disc Jockey rather than DJ?  Its best left in the rear view mirror, lol

(J/K and no offence if you are an Ashba fan,  just making a general comment)

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, charliehoodger said:

Anyone know where it is on the charts now?

I not know about this song, but i read Billboarrd said that "Great hits" have chart return N°113 with big 105% gain and AFD N° 135.

• Like 1