What are your expectations for the upcoming leg?

5 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Fuck yeah we are.  We have a blast when we are out and all together.  

I didn't mean it to sound less than enthusiastically psyched!

Can we expect some songs we haven't heard from this lineup on the current tour? Like illusion deep cuts?

7 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Hello again Fernando 👋🏼 

Since you’re back again so soon on MyGNR I take it as a good sign that we didn’t manage to piss you off enough to leave and never come back :lol:

4 minutes ago, RageKage said:

Can we expect some songs we haven't heard from this lineup on the current tour? Like illusion deep cuts?

Not going to comment on the setlist until it becomes public! :)

Just now, GNRfanJen said:

Hello again Fernando 👋🏼 

Since you’re back again so soon on MyGNR I take it as a good sign that we didn’t manage to piss you off enough to leave and never come back :lol:

Ha, nah you didn't, not that it really truly matter, right?  However, I feel it's only a matter of time.

• Like 2

@Fernando Are you at liberty to update us as to the bands contract with Geffen/Universal?  Are there further albums under contract at this time?  If not, do the band have freedom to use tracks recorded while singed with Universal? Any insight would be appreciated!

11 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Not going to comment on the setlist until it becomes public! :)

Ha, nah you didn't, not that it really truly matter, right?  However, I feel it's only a matter of time.

@Fernando Any warm up shows? Come on you guys like NYC.

Edited by felixGNR

15 hours ago, tremolo said:

Can you be more specific with examples/videos?Their light show/visuals seem pretty basic in their operation, as in a pre-made video playing alongside live shots of the band while playing, which is pretty simple to operate with today’s technology. This is not Roger Waters playing The Wall. I understand that some songs must have a more complex operation with the visuals and pyro... well, keep those songs and rotate a bit those songs with a more basic production (which is most of their setlist).

Go look at videos of welcome to the jungle or sweet child or wish you were here for examples. 

If you watch the shows the band members are in specific places during the same songs to get camera angles and shots.   So the spotlight folk know where they will be.   So the lights around the players won't be too distracted etc. 

It is a very choreographed show at times. 

And the light people,  technicians,  producers all need to know what is going on,  where everyone will be,  what everyone will be doing to put on the best show possible.  

It's almost more like a play but instead of acting they are playing instruments.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

So pretty much the same setup that any other band uses when they have big screens on stage.

I think you are blowing the production out of proportion. Nothing of what you mention can’t be applied to other songs, and the effort would be minimal.

The reason the setlist doesn’t change much has more to do with the music than with the stage design and prep.

You are underselling the production of a huge show they want to be perfect.   It isn't a band jamming in a garage. 

Few bands change their setlist every show and there are clear reasons for that.   You can either accept that or continue to underplay how much goes into a giant production 🙄

5 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

You are underselling the production of a huge show they want to be perfect.   It isn't a band jamming in a garage. 

Few bands change their setlist every show and there are clear reasons for that.   You can either accept that or continue to underplay how much goes into a giant production 🙄

Few bands change their set cause they're lazy. Metallica, Pearl Jam and RHCP all have big productions and change their set frequently. Especially the later 2 

7 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Few bands change their set cause they're lazy. Metallica, Pearl Jam and RHCP all have big productions and change their set frequently. Especially the later 2 

Pearl Jam don't have video screens synced up to specific video footage per song though, nor any synced pyrotechnics, nor backstage roadies operating as much gear for each specific song like in the GNR behind the scenes videos on youtube

Pearl Jam's entire production is a lot more scaled back and simpler, that gives them the ability to change the setlist frequently and on the fly - with GNR if they want to keep the production they have, it offers less opportunity for variation.  They could vary it up more than they are doing, sure, but nowhere near Pearl Jam's lax way of doing it

Edited by WhazUp

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

So pretty much the same setup that any other band uses when they have big screens on stage.

I think you are blowing the production out of proportion. Nothing of what you mention can’t be applied to other songs, and the effort would be minimal.

The reason the setlist doesn’t change much has more to do with the music than with the stage design and prep.

A predictable set helps everyone involved. I think Axl mentioned the strain he put on the UYI tour crew and realizing some of the things he was doing were stressful to these guys. 

Having the set be similar and stage moves helps everyone from lighting, monitors, video screen, camera men, it helps keep the show tight and minimize mistakes. I’m sure that’s the reason there weren’t many talking points in terms of production disasters on this tour. Everyone is in sync. Similar to a broadway show, you pay to see the same show. If you see a show twice on the NITL tour it’s probably pretty similar between the two. 

An offscript show with a crew of GNR’s size would be a nightmare. I think the band  has helped keep this massive production happy, and they’ve reciprocated with their efforts.

but like you said it’s nothing new or groundbreaking. Just a way to keep things tight, I disagree that it’s more about the music. I think it’s a mix of a massive setlist, and doing what they can to make everyone’s job a bit easier 

17 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

A predictable set helps everyone involved. I think Axl mentioned the strain he put on the UYI tour crew and realizing some of the things he was doing were stressful to these guys. 

Having the set be similar and stage moves helps everyone from lighting, monitors, video screen, camera men, it helps keep the show tight and minimize mistakes. I’m sure that’s the reason there weren’t many talking points in terms of production disasters on this tour. Everyone is in sync. Similar to a broadway show, you pay to see the same show. If you see a show twice on the NITL tour it’s probably pretty similar between the two. 

An offscript show with a crew of GNR’s size would be a nightmare. I think the band  has helped keep this massive production happy, and they’ve reciprocated with their efforts.

but like you said it’s nothing new or groundbreaking. Just a way to keep things tight, I disagree that it’s more about the music. I think it’s a mix of a massive setlist, and doing what they can to make everyone’s job a bit easier 

Exactly.  Why is this so hard for people to understand?

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

#1 - Could you say that the GNR have already been to a studio together?

#2 - Should we expect big news (new music) first from the AC/DC or from GNR?

Keep the nice work!

TY from BRAZIL!

Edited by jeancarlo

I expect Shadow and maybe Think About You or something along those lines and probably drop Black Hole Sun and Wichita Lineman but not much else. Either way, I've seen 16 shows so far and not one of them was brought down by the setlist. It's a great mix. 

Edited by GoBucky

I’m always excited to hear how Axl’s vocals are doing after a break. Strong vocals usually means he’s working on something maybe with ACDC or whatever. But I think it’s a good indicator of what he’s up to. If we get similar vocals to 2017 then I don’t anticipate any new releases in terms of new with new Axl vocals on it in the near future. 

Just an odd prediction by me but when CD was set to go out in 06 Axl’s vocals were noticeably stronger. That 2010 tour Axl came out with something to prove, I’m not sure CD was given the response he had hoped for and might have been a chip on his shoulder after firing his manager in 08 and having to essentially book a tour on his own and not being able to do a proper US leg. And really not getting to do the promotion for the album when it came out. So that tour for him I believe was a way to let out some anger, and 11-14 nothing happening, then in 2016 the opportunity to do an ACDC tour set his vocals to a new level. With not much going on in 17 new to him he seemed to settle back a bit so again I’m excited to hear what is going vocally on this upcoming tour. 

Hey Fernando, good to see you around, i 've good remember of fast talk with you in Paris, 2010 and 2012 i think

I dream maybe... but a new song of an upcoming album , and what about some Led Zeppelin's songs ??!! :headbang:

2 hours ago, GoBucky said:

I expect Shadow and maybe Think About You or something along those lines and probably drop Black Hole Sun and Wichita Lineman but not much else. Either way, I've seen 16 shows so far and not one of them was brought down by the setlist. It's a great mix. 

They'll keep Black Hole Sun but for the love of god they better not keep playing Wichita Lineman. Should have been a 1-2 night thing, tops

29 minutes ago, Coffe Breath said:

They'll keep Black Hole Sun but for the love of god they better not keep playing Wichita Lineman. Should have been a 1-2 night thing, tops

I would take Wichita Lineman over Black Hole Sun every day.. I have never liked Black Hole Sun.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I would take Wichita Lineman over Black Hole Sun every day.. I have never liked Black Hole Sun.

I prefer Wichita Lineman as well but Axl butchers it. Rock In Rio was an all around disaster, but I remember him sounding especially bad on Wichita. I hope they drop all the covers except for the ones they actually recorded like Live And Let Die and Heavens Door. The worst of them all was the James Brown song. That was an embarrassment, when you go see GNR you go to hear GNR songs, not James F'n Brown.

44 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

I prefer Wichita Lineman as well but Axl butchers it. Rock In Rio was an all around disaster, but I remember him sounding especially bad on Wichita. I hope they drop all the covers except for the ones they actually recorded like Live And Let Die and Heavens Door. The worst of them all was the James Brown song. That was an embarrassment, when you go see GNR you go to hear GNR songs, not James F'n Brown.

Like you said RIR was just a bad show but I thought Axl sounded good on WL on all the other videos I saw.. I really liked the James Brown cover at first too, especially because Axl sounded better than he does on Guns tunes.. I don't mind the covers for the most part but Black Hole Sun should go and Wish You Were here is boring as hell.. I wish they would lay off the Chinese Democracy stuff more than anything...  They played waaaayyy too much of that mess.

• Like 2

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

Like you said RIR was just a bad show but I thought Axl sounded good on WL on all the other videos I saw.. I really liked the James Brown cover at first too, especially because Axl sounded better than he does on Guns tunes.. I don't mind the covers for the most part but Black Hole Sun should go and Wish You Were here is boring as hell.. I wish they would lay off the Chinese Democracy stuff more than anything...  They played waaaayyy too much of that mess.

Agree on laying off Chinese. If I had it my way they wouldn't play anything from that album. Would much rather have more UYI songs like Right Next Door To Hell, Perfect Crime, Pretty Tied Up and Locomotive.

• Like 2