Q&A Discussion with Guns N' Roses Manager Fernando

3 hours ago, Propaganda said:

Can I post a constructive critic here? Please don't take this the wrong way.

I wasn't here for the "chat" but I think you guys should work on your questions, and focus on other things.

I can't believe there's so many people making questions about a Bootleg from 93 that we already got, or a boxset that will answer all of our questions on the 29th June. Who cares?!? We got that already! The bootleg is out there, the Box will be out within a month...We will get everything answered by itself.

Fernando suggested to clarify about being accused of leaking CD and stuff like that... That's the melting pot...Let the man speak about that! Let the man speak about what's unreleased. What's to come. See if he can estimate a time frame as well for future releases. 

My two cents.

Well. That is not important either. Who cares who leaked something some 12 years ago? It already happened. It's irrelevant at this point. I didn't even know someone acused him. But it is interesting to know, whether it really is the band, who doesn't want that '93 (or any other) concert bootleg out there or if it's an imposter, maybe someone who is still trying to sell that bootleg himself.

Edited by PatrickS77

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

seriously.... The dude just stopped in and started communicating with the fans.  I am sure it was partially damage control but he didn't need to do it.  I honestly don't think this thread helps either. It makes it look like there was an official Q&A.. If ithere was then maybe I could see why some people may have been a bit disappointed that he didn't share anymore news, information or whatever than he did.. But it wasn't an official Q&A... 

Good point, and something I didn't think about.  I decided to move all the posts sent to and from Fernando so that people who missed Fernando when he was online could easily find the discussion.  

I'll amend my first post to make it clear that this wasn't an official Q&A; that the thread was created to make it easier for fans and members to find. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, username said:

Asking Fernando questions is a lot like playing tennis with a brick wall. 

I asked him if we should expect any additional stops in Europe.  He said no, that everything is set and that fans should plan accordingly. 

Wouldn't you say that's useful information for European fans still trying to determine which shows they will be seeing?  I know several UK fans who thought they might be adding some more shows in the UK and now know that if they want to see additional shows they need travel to continental Europe.  

• Like 1

Again, this thread is largely meant to ask Fernando questions.  Let's try to keep venting and sounding off to a minimum so that people who have legitimate questions can hopefully get them answered.  

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

I asked him if we should expect any additional stops in Europe.  He said no, that everything is set and that fans should plan accordingly. 

Wouldn't you say that's useful information for European fans still trying to determine which shows they will be seeing?  I know several UK fans who thought they might be adding some more shows in the UK and now know that if they want to see additional shows they need travel to continental Europe.  

Well. That question was already answered/obvious. Only dreamers and totally clueless people thought that more european dates would magically fall out of the hat this close to the start of the tour. UK people always think they are somehow special and they should get more shows, even if nothing supports that. And the asian dates were announced hours after he came on. So he wasn't all that useful there. I wonder why he couldn't just mention them himself.

Edited by PatrickS77

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

Well. That question was already answered/obvious. Only dreamers and totally clueless people thought that more european dates would magically fall out of the hat. And the asian dates were announced hours after he came on. So he wasn't all that useful there. I wonder why he couldn't just mention them himself.

Actually, most people who have watched this band for the last 15 plus years knows that they have added dates within six or seven weeks.  It was only a couple of weeks ago they announced the Iceland gig.  It wouldn't be out of the world of possibilities that they added some last minute UK gigs at the tale end of the European tour.

As for not bringing up the Asian gigs, I suppose an unofficial fan forum isn't the place to announce world tour news/dates.  Plus I don't believe anyone asked him specifically about Asia.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

Actually, most people who have watched this band for the last 15 plus years knows that they have added dates within six or seven weeks.  It was only a couple of weeks ago they announced the Iceland gig.  It wouldn't be out of the world of possibilities that they added some last minute UK gigs at the tale end of the European tour.

As for not bringing up the Asian gigs, I suppose an unofficial fan forum isn't the place to announce world tour news/dates.  Plus I don't believe anyone asked him specifically about Asia.  

Yes. The Iceland gig, at the end of the tour in 2 months enroute back home. Not the same thing as squeezing some UK gigs into a schedule that has been released 7 months ago.

As for the asian gigs. It was a matter of hours. He could at least left out the "I think". Doesn't matter whether this forum is unofficial or not.

Edited by PatrickS77

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Additionally, they had likely already agreed with promoters, arenas, etc, a date for when these shows would be announced. A band manager jumping the gun amd announcing these shows a day early would actually be unprofessional.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yes. The Iceland gig, at the end of the tour in 2 months enroute back home. Not the same thing as squeezing some UK gigs into a schedule that has been released 7 months ago.

Like I said, there's precedent for GNR to add last minute shows.  Go back and see how the 2006 and 2010 tours were rolled out.  I believe the 2010 Canadian dates were announced in late November/early December and played less than four or five weeks later.  

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Additionally, they had likely already agreed with promoters, arenas, etc, a date for when these shows would be announced. A band manager jumping the gun amd announcing these shows a day early would actually be unprofessional.

Good point, and could be a breach of the contract.  

25 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Grateful on what exactly? He literally didn't say anything we didn't know and he got questioned about it. He came only cause someone close to him told him to cause he wrote those disgraceful things on twitter

You know that as a fact of course. Thats what the poster before you meant by „keyboard warriors“

Far be it from me to defend Fernando, but at the end of the day, it's down to Axl why there's no new music and it's down to Axl as to why he runs GNR like the secret service. If Axl wanted to put out new product and if he wanted us to know about the bands future plans, we would. He doesn't, so we don't. Simple. Don't blame Fernando for Axl's failings.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, downzy said:

Like I said, there's precedent for GNR to add last minute shows.  Go back and see how the 2006 and 2010 tours were rolled out.  I believe the 2010 Canadian dates were announced in late November/early December and played less than four or five weeks later.  

Good point, and could be a breach of the contract.  

But that wasn't a tour that was anounced in full 7 months earlier. :P Again, it's more about UK fans having unrealistic hopes. But whatever.

Sure. Mentioning that there will be asian dates, a couple of hours, before there is an instagram post by GNR is a breach of contract. Now who is jumping to conclusions?

Edited by PatrickS77

I appreciate Fernando taking some time to come on here and talk with us when he definitely didn’t have too. He was courteous with his responses. 

As much as we’re used to the way this band operates, some people can’t help themselves but strike when the iron is hot in the hopes of maybe getting something new, and I don’t blame them. Fernando knows about us diehards, knows that we’re the ones who push the band, spend the money, etc. I just wish we didn’t have to yank our teeth out trying to find any new piece of information. That is not normal and he knows it. I’m glad he came on here to chat with us, but here’s to hoping he comes again and gives us more clarity. 

8 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

There's just this "them vs us" mentality when it comes to some fans vs the band. If it's not the line up it's the set list, if it's not the set list it's new music. We wanted something for Appetite, they're putting out a box set, now we're mad they're putting out a box set. We get fantasy scenarios in our head and convince ourselves that's what they're going to do or should do and when they don't we're mad at them again. 

I believe in the end everything revolves around new music. We r all complaining at this momment because we dont have a new album of new material. 

Everything could be fixed by the release of new music. It would be a new tour with a slightly different setlist, they could release all the merch in the world for it, they could release it in a thousand versions and tour the same places again and it would be just fine, it would be a new chapter and not some cashgrab nostalgia tour. 

Edited by default_
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

Far be it from me to defend Fernando, but at the end of the day, it's down to Axl why there's no new music and it's down to Axl as to why he runs GNR like the secret service. If Axl wanted to put out new product and if he wanted us to know about the bands future plans, we would. He doesn't, so we don't. Simple. Don't blame Fernando for Axl's failings.

I think that's probably the best way to look at it, save for maybe Axl's failings.  From a fan's perspective, yes, in the new music department there's not a lot there for us.  But Axl is who he is and he's doing what he feels is best for him.  We can disagree with his choices as fans, but ultimately it's his call.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, default_ said:

I believe in the end everything revolves around new music. We r all complaining at this momment because we dont have a new album of new material. 

Everything could be fixed by the release of new music. It would be a new tour with a slightly different setlist, they could release all the merch in the world for it, they could release it in a thousand versions and it would be fine, it would be a new chapter and not some cashgrab nostalgia tour. 

Is it a cash grab if the demand is there?  

I mean, if millions of people around the world want to see this show, why would they not do it?  

Understand that the percentage of people showing up to shows the last few years who want to hear new music is extremely small.  Think of a band you're a casual fan of.  Would you want to see them and hear a lot of new music or would you want to hear the hits?  I saw Metallica last year and I'll be honest that I sat down for most of their new material.  Would have rather heard the hits.  That's who 90 percent of the people buying tickets for the NITL tour.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, downzy said:

I think that's probably the best way to look at it, save for maybe Axl's failings.  From a fan's perspective, yes, in the new music department there's not a lot there for us.  But Axl is who he is and he's doing what he feels is best for him.  We can disagree with his choices as fans, but ultimately it's his call.  

Totally agree.

It's up to Axl what he wants to do. 

I totally support that.

6 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

But that wasn't a tour that was anounced in full 7 months earlier. :P Again, it's more about UK fans having unrealistic hopes. But whatever.

Sure. Mentioning that there will be asian dates, a couple of hours, before there is an instagram post by GNR is a breach of contract. Now who is jumping to conclusions?

There are many instances of when GNR have announced shows close to their actual performance date.  I don't think it's unrealistic at all to assume that more shows might have been added since they've only played England once so far and there's only one date for this leg.  

It's not jumping to conclusions.  There are contracts and very strict agreed upon rules on how these things are rolled out.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, default_ said:

Everything could be fixed by the release of new music. It would be a new tour with a slightly different setlist, they could release all the merch in the world for it, they could release it in a thousand versions and tour the same places again and it would be just fine, it would be a new chapter and not some cashgrab nostalgia tour. 

Pretty much spot on.

My guess is that Axl feels intimidated by the thought of living up to peoples expectations. GNR set the bar so high with their back catalogue, in a sense they built a rod for their own back. And Axl copped a lot of shit for Chinese Democracy and I guess he doesn't want a repeat of that. But fans would be happy with just something fresh and new. I think Axl believes another GNR album would have to be the second coming of AFD or feature the next November Rain and this is what puts him off trying. But the only reason expectations are so high is because he takes so long between records. He creates half of his own problems himself. Metallica fans don't expect their new releases to outdo Master of Puppets creatively, RHCP fans aren't waiting for another BSSM. The fans have moved on with the bands. GNR fans aren't allowed to move on, but Axl refuses to.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, downzy said:

There are many instances of when GNR have announced shows close to their actual performance date.  I don't think it's unrealistic at all to assume that more shows might have been added since they've only played England once so far and there's only one date for this leg.  

It's not jumping to conclusions.  There are contracts and very strict agreed upon rules on how these things are rolled out.  

Also, Download don’t like their headliners to announce other shows they have booked until they really have to. So maybe that’s why people here in the UK thought they might add a couple of arena shows when they play here. Many fans won’t go to festivals. 

• Like 1

Sorry, hate to do this, but we're going to lock this thread until we have some idea if and when Fernando can come back and answer more questions.  We'll open this back up if we get word that Fernando or someone from the band is willing and able to come back.  

Partly my fault, but this thread is turning into a discussion thread rather than a Q&A thread and I'd rather keep things in focus.

Hopefully there will be another opportunity to ask questions.  

In the mean time, feel free to start another thread should you wish to discuss Fernando's responses and the questions asked.

• Like 3

• downzy locked this topic
  • downzy unlocked this topic