the eating stuff thread

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

An orange loaf cake, topped with a basket weave frosting and chocolate orange segments. Not bad for a first attempt at basket weave piping. 

I took these off my daughters birthday cake so her and her friends could take them -  20 minutes later they’re all crying because they ate them 

I didn't feel like cooking so I went to Five Guys instead. There's a fuck ton more fries in the bag 

Posted Images

14 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Today Ive cooked something that doesn't really have a name.

850 grams minced beef

2 finely chopped onions

3 large chopped carrots

Chopped kale,leek and cabbage

Broccoli

Peas

Pint of beef stock

3 spoonfuls of mustard

Worcester  sauce

Pint of gravy.

Its like avery thick rich meaty sauce with lots  of vegetables. There is loads in the pot so it will be the basis for about 3 days worth of meals this week. I will just tweak how i serve it up each day. 

looks like the stew from red dead redemption 2

it's best cooked in a cauldron

4 minutes ago, spunko12345 said:

I'm literally playing that game now. Just put the controller down after 3 hours playing.

everytime I start playing, I must have a bowl of stew first or I'm not doing any robberies

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Roast beef sandwich on rye bread with mayo, dijon mustard, some black pepper, lettuce, and homegrown a jalapeno :drool:

When I first got it I brought the bottle to work and had a dab at lunch, 1 dab is pretty good and not intolerable heat-wise but I wouldn't wanna eat a spoonful or anything :lol:

Since when were you opposed to a spoonful of hot sauce?? :shock:

I gotta say, it sounds like you are wussing out of the game :P

Season 2 of Matty Mathesons Just A Dash is the greatest cooking show of all time. This weeks Halloween episode (2) will never be surpassed in the genre :headbang:

And I'd already thought his food stylist, Michelle Raban, was fixing to take the crown of internet queen from Claire Saffitz. But then I find out that shes also the shorty behind Mom Jeans brand cannabis cookies. :wub:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Made a lovely syrup out of ginger, thyme, coriander seed, vanilla and star anise (simmered in 1/2cup sugar 1/2cup water for 10-15 mins) to pour over a fruit salad of apples, pears, and plums. Very autumnal and a great way to use up a lot of fruit quickly. The heat of the syrup slightly cooks the fruit when you pour it over, then just leave it to cool in the fridge. It's lasted us 3 days now, it makes for a nice yogurt topping, a great breakfast with waffles/pancakes, or just a great snack to eat stoned at midnight standing in front of the fridge.

Hoping to keep the seasonality going by attempting a pumpkin risotto next week.

• Like 2
On 11/9/2020 at 12:01 PM, Jakey Styley said:

Made a lovely syrup out of ginger, thyme, coriander seed, vanilla and star anise (simmered in 1/2cup sugar 1/2cup water for 10-15 mins) to pour over a fruit salad of apples, pears, and plums. Very autumnal and a great way to use up a lot of fruit quickly. The heat of the syrup slightly cooks the fruit when you pour it over, then just leave it to cool in the fridge. It's lasted us 3 days now, it makes for a nice yogurt topping, a great breakfast with waffles/pancakes, or just a great snack to eat stoned at midnight standing in front of the fridge.

Hoping to keep the seasonality going by attempting a pumpkin risotto next week.

That sounds great! The risotto too :headbang:You sound like a proper good cook.

Now Im inspired to get into the autumnal theme. Usually this time of year I am super busy with harvesting and preserving that I'm lucky to sneak in a harvest feast. I eat Kraft mac and cheese while storing a years worth of organic health foods, lol. But this year the pandemic 100% shut me down, so no harvest. Finally there is an 'upside' to my cancelled season - fall flavours!

Im gonna have a go at a pumpkin risotto too. And just now I made some jalapeno poppers with a Cheetoes crust. Jalapeno being an autumn food in my mind, again because of harvest.

Tahchin Tacos:

125346007_210648070463372_89067485686441

124673444_175979487509156_44942468594495

The "shells" are made in the style of tahchin: rice mixed with saffron-infused water, eggs, and Greek yoghurt, baked until crispy and crunchy. The filling for the ones above is Joojeh Kabob: chicken marinated in saffron, yoghurt, and onion. Topped with barberries.

125079524_994336044396707_60281589751420

124812837_188375399458028_16510147934501

125198121_731003864438641_64986938783282

These ones have fesenjoon as a filling: slow-cooked chicken with ground walnuts and pomegranate molasses, topped with pomegranate seeds.

I have a few more photos here: https://www.instagram.com/senorsaffron/

• Like 3
On 11/12/2020 at 1:33 PM, soon said:

That sounds great! The risotto too :headbang:You sound like a proper good cook.

Now Im inspired to get into the autumnal theme. Usually this time of year I am super busy with harvesting and preserving that I'm lucky to sneak in a harvest feast. I eat Kraft mac and cheese while storing a years worth of organic health foods, lol. But this year the pandemic 100% shut me down, so no harvest. Finally there is an 'upside' to my cancelled season - fall flavours!

Im gonna have a go at a pumpkin risotto too. And just now I made some jalapeno poppers with a Cheetoes crust. Jalapeno being an autumn food in my mind, again because of harvest.

Thanks! Quarantine allowed me to to turn what was an casual hobby into a skill I'm growing proud of. I got a little obsessed. I've watched easily over 100 Gordon Ramsay recipe videos on Youtube, his entire Ultimate Home Cooking series on Hulu, and pirated two of his cookbooks. After working through so many recipes, I eventually found the skills and confidence to start break out and start doing my own thing. And now I know all of his children by name.

I'm pickling a bunch of left over celery today in white wine/apple cider vinegar, cloves, mustard seed and pepper. Very cool snack that always surprises people (celery usually doesn't excite anyone) and the cloves make it seasonal. Whenever I get to the pumpkin risotto, I'm going to place scallops on top with a balsamic reduction drizzle. You'll have to let me know how your own turns out if you go at it. I've never really worked with pumpkin myself so we'll see how it goes.

Burger King tackled the cheetos crusted jalapeno poppers a couple years back - I'm sure your own were much better.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Amir said:

Tahchin Tacos:

The "shells" are made in the style of tahchin: rice mixed with saffron-infused water, eggs, and Greek yoghurt, baked until crispy and crunchy. The filling for the ones above is Joojeh Kabob: chicken marinated in saffron, yoghurt, and onion. Topped with barberries.

These ones have fesenjoon as a filling: slow-cooked chicken with ground walnuts and pomegranate molasses, topped with pomegranate seeds.

Those look really nice, perfect colour on them, not overdone and not soggy.

The only thing I'd substitute is the pomegranate. I like the taste but there is such a tiny amount of juice then your left with a chalky pip to spit out. And they're messy to de-seed. More effort than they're worth.

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Thanks! Quarantine allowed me to to turn what was an casual hobby into a skill I'm growing proud of. I got a little obsessed. I've watched easily over 100 Gordon Ramsay recipe videos on Youtube, his entire Ultimate Home Cooking series on Hulu, and pirated two of his cookbooks. After working through so many recipes, I eventually found the skills and confidence to start break out and start doing my own thing. And now I know all of his children by name.

I'm pickling a bunch of left over celery today in white wine/apple cider vinegar, cloves, mustard seed and pepper. Very cool snack that always surprises people (celery usually doesn't excite anyone) and the cloves make it seasonal. Whenever I get to the pumpkin risotto, I'm going to place scallops on top with a balsamic reduction drizzle. You'll have to let me know how your own turns out if you go at it. I've never really worked with pumpkin myself so we'll see how it goes.

Burger King tackled the cheetos crusted jalapeno poppers a couple years back - I'm sure your own were much better.

Good use of quarantine time! I improved my bread baking during lockdown. Ive been spending some time with Ramsey lately too. Old Kitchen Nightmares but also the 10 minute meals series on YT. I love how his children just roast him the whole time, lol. When I lay a piece of meat/fish into a saute pan, I cant help but hear "Meat, in" in my head! Im missing MasterChef.

That celery sounds delightful. Just days ago a diced a bunch of celery and froze it in cubes with left over herbs and shredded ginger (for adding to sautes or what ever) just because I didnt want it to go bad. Your recipe would have been even cooler! With that nice, warming clove. That flvour profile hints towards Caribbean cuisine which I enjoy too.

Okay, my pumpkin risotto wont have a balsamic reduction - you are a machine! I mean Ive tried a few, but the sum of the preparations your working with there are a bit too much for me to handle all at once. Impressive. I dont think Ive worked with pumpkin in savoury myself. Yeah, let me know how yours goes too!

I looked up the BK poppers and theres look better - the ones I saw were completely coated and deep fried. I went the lazy route and just cut them in half, par baked, filled the boats with cream cheese and covered the top with ground cheetoes, then under the broiler for a minute. Fried would be so much tastier, I think. They weren't bad though.

I get the impression that you might have numerous spice racks, as do I?

I took a shot at trying to re-create my grandmother's green soup.

She never gave me the recipe, so I have to go off on my memories, and some little bits of information of my mother. The secret ingredients were real butter and beef bouillon and white pepper.

My first version had no taste whatsoever, and was too thick. So i added more bouillon, celery salt, more water and let it cook for another couple of hours on a very low fire. Seasoning here and there, mixing it all VERY fine, and lo and behold I actually have something that can pass for her legendary soup. I'd say, I'm 85% of where I want it to be. The aftertaste is on point, it has that fat aftertaste that comes from real butter. I used too much chervil , and I made the mistake to use fresh chervil. My grandmother used chervil from a box.

Next time, I'll reach 90 % of perfection, and I am just beyond excited; it's as if she came back from a moment.

• Like 1
On 11/13/2020 at 10:01 AM, Amir said:

Tahchin Tacos:

Have you got a recipe for these? They look fucking lovely! 

• Like 1