AFD - Both Special Editions (Piece-By-Piece Unboxing)

To me, the boxset is depressing. I'm happy about the 5.1 and curious about the remaster, but I work hard for my wage and cannot waste it on OLD music I've already had/heard for years.

Fernando and co., please release new music. Downloadable flacs are enough for me.

Edited by uruguns

7 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

For me the book is interesting. But if I were to get it it’d be a while from now. I’m thinking <$90 then after I did that I’d pull the 4CDs and blu from the set and make new cases. More than likely get a 5 disc Blu-ray cass and maybe slap together art for it. The art prints are neat since I collect lithos. Temp tattoos, tickets to shows I didn’t go to and a replica flyer mean nothing to me. That being said I will add I believe they went about this all wrong. I think most would agree this is how it should have been released.

1. AFD Remaster 1 disc + Digital Download of SOYL and MTTC acoustic

2. AFD Remaster + All Disc Demos/Outtakes 

3. AFD Deluxe with Book, 4CDs, Blu, and Vinyl 

4. AFD Locked N’ Loaded Edition 

To me I believe this would have made mostly everyone happy more or less. But who knows I could be wrong. But had they done it this way I would have easily paid $39.99-$49.99 for the second option.

This exactly, but also include a professionally recorded 1986-88 (anything but Ritz 1988) show for tier 2, 3 and 4. At least in my opinion. 

After three years in development, UMe has produced 10,000 units of the box sets, meaning it could rake in as much as $10 million in revenue, though UMe did not comment on what it expects to earn in profit. The company releases between three and five box sets priced above $500 per year, and issued 38 sets over $200 in 2017. Such collectors’ editions represent a growing slice of physical sales for record companies as regular CD sales decline.

[...]

The $1,000 box, the top version. That’s a lot of money. Is that for the hardcore fan and then you have other versions with less stuff, for people that want to discover the band for the first time or just want to hear the unreleased tracks and don’t want the scarfs and patches and rings?

Daw: Part of our decision-making with the management team was that we would normally do from a super-deluxe down. When we got into this package, we just started to realize there was just so much great content, great elements -- music elements and non-music elements -- that we just felt, what could you leave out? So that was part of the aspect of, "Okay, if we’re not going to leave these things out, what do we put it in?" And then it became a case of, "Well, you can’t really put something that immersive into a cardboard box." So then it was, "If someone’s going to purchase something at an expensive price, or a premium price, then let’s make sure it fills up and they’re getting high quality products that they’re really proud of, that’s really unique, quite aspirational and is something that can almost be like a mini trophy or ornament for you to have at home." That’s really what we tried to create and what we promised the guys that we would deliver -- something that was really high-end and what we felt was worthy of Guns N’ Roses.

Does anything compare to it? Is this the most expensive box set? Are you aware of any artists that have put out something with so many items in it?  

Resnikoff: It’s not the most expensive, but it is the most expansive -- and that’s the difference here. The amount of music memorabilia, photos, etcetera, in the box I think is unparalleled. What we tried to do was, when you have an opportunity to work on one of the most important works of art in the history of the music business, you have to present it in ways that you can satisfy the most ardent collector and introduce that music to a young fan of the future, who hasn’t had the chance to hear it the way it was meant to be heard and the way it should be heard. We tried to cover all those angles. I think it’s not about the quantity of what went in it, or the price, but the quality of everything and the thought that went into it. I have not yet seen in my career a box that was more inclusive, relating to a particular album, at all. There have been retrospectives on artists that have been very extensive, but this album is so significant, that we basically created a box set around one work of art from a band that has several great works of art.

---------

It's clear what the reasoning of the industry is: that the market for physical releases is mainly collectors capable and willing to pay a lot of money.

18 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

This exactly, but also include a professionally recorded 1986-88 (anything but Ritz 1988) show for tier 2, 3 and 4. At least in my opinion. 

I can understand the reason to release it with a live recording and I can understand the reason not to. Personally I would have preferred it included a show as well. I was mainly sticking to the media that was presented to us in the releases. The 2 disc edition makes no sense to me even from a casual fan POV. In my opinion the casual fan is going to buy the 1 disc version or digital version. Assuming they buy it at all. That being said, if they could have got ahold of the community and discussed it. I’m sure they could have talked about uncirculated shows from that time period and surprised everyone with its inclusion in the set. But if they have plans for the live archieves (wishful thinking) I can understand not releasing any shows in it. I know this is off topic but if they wanted to make some more money they have several options. Create a digital service like the WWE network for example. Charge a monthly sub fee and allow unlimited streaming and constantly update with new shows after each tour and add the back log throughout all years. Have exclusive interviews and backstage videos etc. Or license out physical video rights for release or start MOD releases for shows like some of the Warner Archieve releases. I feel like there would be enough people willing to make purchases to justify any of the options.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 80309561 said:

whats that??? i don't use streaming

this forum is not the audience of this boxset. this is for casuals that go to concerts which is about 90% of the audience at a concert.

Casual fans are not going to spend $180 and above for this set.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

I can understand the reason to release it with a live recording and I can understand the reason not to. Personally I would have preferred it included a show as well. I was mainly sticking to the media that was presented to us in the releases. The 2 disc edition makes no sense to me even from a casual fan POV. In my opinion the casual fan is going to buy the 1 disc version or digital version. Assuming they buy it at all. That being said, if they could have got ahold of the community and discussed it. I’m sure they could have talked about uncirculated shows from that time period and surprised everyone with its inclusion in the set. But if they have plans for the live archieves (wishful thinking) I can understand not releasing any shows in it. I know this is off topic but if they wanted to make some more money they have several options. Create a digital service like the WWE network for example. Charge a monthly sub fee and allow unlimited streaming and constantly update with new shows after each tour and add the back log throughout all years. Have exclusive interviews and backstage videos etc. Or license out physical video rights for release or start MOD releases for shows like some of the Warner Archieve releases. I feel like there would be enough people willing to make purchases to justify any of the options.

Yeah, I know. Just dreaming :)

I guess it might be down to legal issues that they're not releasing old shows (Izzy, Steven, etc) and possibly also in an effort not to potentially cannibalize on their ongoing tour. 

3 minutes ago, Waemoth said:

Yeah, I know. Just dreaming :)

I guess it might be down to legal issues that they're not releasing old shows (Izzy, Steven, etc) and possibly also in an effort not to potentially cannibalize on their ongoing tour. 

Very true. It certainly could come down to legal rights. If they could manage to find a way to split the money or buy someone out it would make for good “free money”. If given control to call the shots after they wrap up the tour at the end of the year I’d either book 1 final SA run or close the book on NITL tour. In January - March, assuming they could secure the rights to have a streaming service. I’d begin running billboards, each billboard focusing on a different era clearly stating the years that would be part of the service. Give Nightrain members 1 month early access to test the service and then go for a launch once any bugs or server issues were fixed. It’d promote the service, Nightrain membership and allow people to “relive” the experience of shows they seen. The only problem most people don’t view Guns N Roses as a living organism. They have different lineups that they hold dear. Which is fair, but restricts a lot of things they could do. 

Finally got around to watching the video; I won't be buying it. I'll just buy the songs on iTunes or wherever and make my own CDs. Maybe later on if the Locked N' Loaded box goes down in price I might consider getting one just as a collectors item but this super deluxe is too much considering what's included. I wish they would make a package that had all of the audio on those CDs but none of the toys and photos.

How come they couldn't come up with just a 4 CD deluxe version for like $25 bucks or so?  That is exactly what the Prince estate did with the deluxe 3-CD, 1 DVD version of Purple Rain last year - and I would totally purchase that.

But the 2 CD AFD is of no interest because it is intentionally excluding 2 full disks of audio, and all the options that include all 4 CDs are way too expensive.  

I’m excited about the “new” songs, and how good the remaster should sound. I’m only disappointed about no live songs, I would love a collection of each song off Appetite, Lies, and Shadow soundboard live recordings. The posters are kind of cool, and I will most certainly annoy the shit out of a roommate when I go to college in the fall and hang up the posters and turn up the remaster as much as I can.

36 minutes ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I’m excited about the “new” songs, and how good the remaster should sound. I’m only disappointed about no live songs, I would love a collection of each song off Appetite, Lies, and Shadow soundboard live recordings. The posters are kind of cool, and I will most certainly annoy the shit out of a roommate when I go to college in the fall and hang up the posters and turn up the remaster as much as I can.

Might want to frame them or something, because these aren't regular old band posters. When I was in college the only posters and thing I put up were regular ones that you can easily find on Amazon. All my limited edition fancy stuff stayed at home.