Appetite for Destruction 5.1 Surround Sound Mix by Elliot Scheiner

1 hour ago, action said:

I'm not that far yet. Still recovering from my first experience with the 5.1 mixes. Had to quit somewhere around sweet child of mine. by that point, I was hearing more things than I could handle, could grasp. I felt I was doing dishonor to this brilliant music by going through them so fast.

So for now, I'm still trying to get my head around what I have already heard, the implications, the impact, the brilliance. When I'm ready, I'll play the next couple of tracks.

I'm feeling like some lovecraft character who gets hold of the necronomicon or something and who goes crazy after reading one paragraph, due to the sheer depths of knowledge and insanity it contains. Somehow, in a weird way, hearing appetite in 5.1 blasting from 6 different speakers evokes the same emotions...

I listened to Jungle today from the 5.1 mix and it's pretty damn impressive. I'm not going to have time to revisit it until later this week but I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of it based on what I heard during Jungle!

3 hours ago, zombux said:

wow... the "bonus" Lies tracks on the Blu-ray... THAT's the most intresting part of the Blu-ray, not the regular AFD tracks (altough I admit, Rocket Queen sounds MIGHTY).

but the Lies tracks (Patience, Used To Love Her, You're Crazy) are DIFFERENT. not only the mix is GREAT, but also the songs include, at least in my opinion, some "restored" content from the original sessions, which has been added to this, because I can't really explain this differently. these are GEMS!

Used to love her has a "thank you" at the end right?

5 hours ago, uruguns said:

Used to love her has a "thank you" at the end right?

yes, and also something in the beginning, I don't remember that now. both UTLH and Crazy have some more instruments and also there's more additional background vocals, at least in the DTS-HD track. I have to listen to those again.

15 hours ago, zombux said:

wow... the "bonus" Lies tracks on the Blu-ray... THAT's the most intresting part of the Blu-ray, not the regular AFD tracks (altough I admit, Rocket Queen sounds MIGHTY).

but the Lies tracks (Patience, Used To Love Her, You're Crazy) are DIFFERENT. not only the mix is GREAT, but also the songs include, at least in my opinion, some "restored" content from the original sessions, which has been added to this, because I can't really explain this differently. these are GEMS!

I only had the chance to crank Jungle yesterday. I didn't even think about the Lies tracks on there yet. I'm catching a flight out of town for a few days, but when I get back I'll check out those tracks before I go back to the album.

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I only had the chance to crank Jungle yesterday. I didn't even think about the Lies tracks on there yet. I'm catching a flight out of town for a few days, but when I get back I'll check out those tracks before I go back to the album.

the AFD tracks are great (except for TAY, which sounds horrible). but there's nothing that can really SURPRISE you. 

the Lies tracks ARE a surprise ;)

• Like 1

Yes, the Lies tracks are amazing!

Someone talks at the beginning of UTLH, and at the end Axl says "Thank you very much". There's an acoustic guitar at the beginning of You're Crazy I never heard before, and also some more background vocals and guitars! Also, I love hearing the background vocals during the verses in Move to the City!

6 hours ago, fernandoGNR said:

Yes, the Lies tracks are amazing!

Someone talks at the beginning of UTLH, and at the end Axl says "Thank you very much". There's an acoustic guitar at the beginning of You're Crazy I never heard before, and also some more background vocals and guitars! Also, I love hearing the background vocals during the verses in Move to the City!

yes, THAT is what amazed me. 

^^ You don't need to "crack" anything. Just extract the dts audio from the m2ts files and convert it to wav. There are plenty of software capable of doing this.

By the way, I was just messing around with the files in audacity. Did you hear Izzy's backing vocals in Mr. Brownstone??! Those are amazing! love his falsetto lol
I also like the backing vocals on ISE, PC and UTLH, nothing fancy but so punk rock :headbang:

So cool to being able to discover these little pieces here and there I didn't even know were there.

31 minutes ago, fernandoGNR said:

^^ You don't need to "crack" anything. Just extract the dts audio from the m2ts files and convert it to wav. There are plenty of software capable of doing this.

By the way, I was just messing around with the files in audacity. Did you hear Izzy's backing vocals in Mr. Brownstone??! Those are amazing! love his falsetto lol
I also like the backing vocals on ISE, PC and UTLH, nothing fancy but so punk rock :headbang:

So cool to being able to discover these little pieces here and there I didn't even know were there.

Unfortunately only lies was mixed by Filipetti who tends to completely isolate vocals, whilst afd was mixed by Schneider who mixes vocals with bass and drums, but besides that it's good material

Edited by uruguns

9 hours ago, uruguns said:

Unfortunately only lies was mixed by Filipetti who tends to completely isolate vocals, whilst afd was mixed by Schneider who mixes vocals with bass and drums, but besides that it's good material

yes, and this is one of the reasons (as I already explained elsewhere numerous times), that these "isolated tracks" are NOT purely isolated stems for vocals and other instruments, but just separated channels with whatever the mixing guy included into each of them.

2 hours ago, zombux said:

yes, and this is one of the reasons (as I already explained elsewhere numerous times), that these "isolated tracks" are NOT purely isolated stems for vocals and other instruments, but just separated channels with whatever the mixing guy included into each of them.

Yea but It's the closest thing to stems that we will ever get

• Like 1

I've copied the files directly from the Blu-Ray to the pc and then tried to extract audio from the .m2st files with TSMuxer and couldn't do it. When I try to add the files, TSMuxer shut down and then the "has stopped working" message appears. Could someone help me?

12 hours ago, Ulises said:

I've copied the files directly from the Blu-Ray to the pc and then tried to extract audio from the .m2st files with TSMuxer and couldn't do it. When I try to add the files, TSMuxer shut down and then the "has stopped working" message appears. Could someone help me?

I would suggest using ffmpeg. It's a command line tool but you should be able to easily find how to extract audio from m2ts files online.

Well, from what I've heard (correct me if i am wrong)

Front Left -FL- (rough -i say "rough" because some fx, background vocals, etc. is missing- song in left)
Front Right -FR- (rough -i say "rough" because some fx, background vocals, etc. is missing- full song in right )
Center -C- (only vocals + drums + bass)
Low-frequency effects -LFE- (only bass -cool bass boost-)
Surround Left -SL- (FX, background vocals, etc. in left)
Surround Right -SR- ( FX, background vocals, etc. in right).

From what i can tell, the sounds on Front Left and Front Right channels are the same. Not the case of the "surrounds" channels, you can hear different sounds on SL and SR

The sounds on the "Surrounds" channels during the "jungle part" in Welcome To The Jungle is AMAZING. I'm addicted to this kind of things.

Edited by Ulises