Appetite For Destruction Remastered Audio Review (Audio Geek Stuff)

2 hours ago, PrimosPeppers said:

It's just a little louder.... Similar eq. But when you bring things up in volume by using compression, it give one the illusion (pun intended) that things are better / cleaner.  Things jump out.  For instance Slash is more in the mix on this one (which is a good thing). Izzy, even came up in areas I thought he was tucked in the original master. Yet, you then lose dynamics.  Form the quiet parts of the song to the loudest parts. Now, Appetite is not a super dynamic album.  Meaning, it's not a whisper quiet to full on.  Most of the songs are in your face.  So, the compression isn't that apparent.  What you will notice is an increase in ear fatigue.  It's always better to be able to crank a recording that has a lower volume.  It will be interesting to see what they did with the USB 24/192 files. IF anything, that may be a revelation for things we have never heard on the source recording.

Would love to help you man... You looking to play LP's or mostly CD's....  What budget are you looking at?  Going to play your tv through the system?  Xbox, etc....

thanks for the response.  would be playing cds.  would likely hook up to my tv as well. 

no budget. if it's expensive but worth it then I'll buy it. 

I don't know much about this stuff at all so your input is very appreciated. 

• Like 2

Many thanks for the tutorial links, Primo. Interesting stuff.

I agree with other sentiments expressed by you guys here. To my ears, it sounds a little louder with chimier cymbals (sorry for my crappy adjective) and the slightest addition in terms of bottom end. I do wish the original mix had Duff just a bit louder. I'd be happy enough sticking with the original CD master, but I do need to hear the 24 bit version. Maybe that'll knock my socks off.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I was chatting with the gnr sound guy Caram and I asked him If he think there's much difference between 44.1khz 16 bit and 192khz 24 bit audio. He said yes massive difference.

Oh yeah man... It's like connecting the dots on a sound wave. The more dots the more accurate a representation of the wave.  24/192 sounds as close to the source analog tape being played from the studio.  Now, if you take a 24/192 file and then compress the hell out of it, it won't sound as good.  Soundgarden sadly did this with Superunknown's reissue. The verdict is still out on the GNR USB files. Can't wait to hear em...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, holymntn said:

Many thanks for the tutorial links, Primo. Interesting stuff.

I agree with other sentiments expressed by you guys here. To my ears, it sounds a little louder with chimier cymbals (sorry for my crappy adjective) and the slightest addition in terms of bottom end. I do wish the original mix had Duff just a bit louder. I'd be happy enough sticking with the original CD master, but I do need to hear the 24 bit version. Maybe that'll knock my socks off.

Your welcome man.....  I agree. Goes to show what many had said for years, Barry's CD master was pretty fucking amazing and stood the test of time. Still does in my opinion.  Yeah the 24/192K files are a must.... Just wish I had the $1000 must. lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tony adler said:

How about the general sound of ‘crash diet’? The bootleg which I wore out listening too was scratchy and all over the place,,(how well was that cleaned up?) thanks 

see "The Story Vol. 1" and "The Hell Revisited" bootlegs for the best existing quality of all circulating West Arkeen demos.

18 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

thanks for the response.  would be playing cds.  would likely hook up to my tv as well. 

no budget. if it's expensive but worth it then I'll buy it. 

I don't know much about this stuff at all so your input is very appreciated. 

I'll look at a few current models....  Currently I have an older Sony STR-DN1050 for my DVD, TV, CD, LP.....  Now, these digital units will never sound like the old Realistic decks and such used back in the day, but they are convenient.  Also, they have a USB input on the front and you can hook up a hard drive to play your hi-res audio files.  I use it to play my needle drops of rare vinyl pressings pro sampled into 24/192.  As close as you can get to playing the real album.

Yet, it's a compromise being able to watch tv through the new units, play cd's, etc... So, if and when you decide to pick up an old Technics SL-1200 player (I have one and they are a workhorse), you can do like I did and buy a Bugle preamp.  They are inexpensive and rival thousands of dollar units.  Warms up your sound big time! I also bought a pair of super clean vintage JBL-L100 speakers (reissued this year for $4000 - got mine for $250)

Anyway, sorry for rambling..... Look for some used JBL L100's in great shape and you can't go wrong man.  My wife uncle spent thousands on new speakers and these blew this away.

I'll research the new decks, but the Sony STR is good.

https://www.haglabs.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/bugle3-phono-preamp-mm-mc

8 minutes ago, RevolverBobcat said:

Cool man.... I didn't know they were being offered outside the big box yet.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, tony adler said:

How about the general sound of ‘crash diet’? The bootleg which I wore out listening too was scratchy and all over the place,,(how well was that cleaned up?) thanks 

Will prob still sound scratchy because of the source recording....  The best thing is to have the best possible source ( the band and or West Arkeen family probably have the best quality) digitally transferred without any eq or compression (called flat raw transfers) at 24/96 or 24/192.  There are other forms of single bit stream sampling, but 24/96 or 24/192 is a great start at archiving these recordings.  But if the take really is a later generation or full of noise , there is not much you can do.  I've done some noise reduction and or pop / click removals, but you have to jump into it with a delicate balance.  Too much noise reduction can really give you "sonic artifacts".  Meaning, you create more noise than just dealing with the hiss. Hope that makes sense.  

Just now, Chris 55 said:

Ok cool. It's a better option than "mastered for iTunes" in the iTunes store

yeah it's a good store.... I've bought from them in the bast.  Cool.

19 minutes ago, RevolverBobcat said:

no, that's the 2-disc Deluxe Edition.

this is the 4-disc Super Deluxe Edition for $67 http://www.hdtracks.com/appetite-for-destruction-super-deluxe-638951

by buying this you have the 4 discs, you only lack the Blu-Ray which is in the physical Super Deluxe Edition. 

and of course the Mystic cassette and a heap of other fake junk that is included in the Locked&Loaded boxset.

edit: basically these web tracks are exactly the same stuff as included at the USB disc in the release. besides 24/192 and 24/96 the USB also contains regular 16/44

Edited by zombux

2 minutes ago, zombux said:

no, that's the 2-disc Deluxe Edition.

this is the 4-disc Super Deluxe Edition for $67 http://www.hdtracks.com/appetite-for-destruction-super-deluxe-638951

by buying this you have the 4 discs, you only lack the Blu-Ray which is in the physical Super Deluxe Edition. 

and of course the Mystic cassette and a heap of other fake junk that is included in the Locked&Loaded boxset.

So they included the mystic cassette in the Locked & Loaded?  I'm still catching up with the threads. So I guess that's what they did with the Izzy tape.

Dubbed it or used it for art scans.

I'll pick up the 4 disc set tonight.  

Thanks for the info bro.

Just now, RevolverBobcat said:

If you buy it, let us know what you think of the 24/192 quality, PrimosPeppers.

Will do brother... Nice to see everything converted at 24/192....even the demos.

1 minute ago, PrimosPeppers said:

So they included the mystic cassette in the Locked & Loaded?  I'm still catching up with the threads. So I guess that's what they did with the Izzy tape.

yes, it was included as hidden bonus in L&L set, therefore it wasn't included in Super Deluxe Edition (the Blu-ray is included in both SDE and L&L)

1 minute ago, zombux said:

yes, it was included as hidden bonus in L&L set, therefore it wasn't included in Super Deluxe Edition (the Blu-ray is included in both SDE and L&L)

Intersting..... I'm sure we'll see this popping up converted digital files soon.  I never got the Soundcloud ones before the link went dead. Wish they would have included the official digital-files in the release.  Maybe someday.....

1 minute ago, PrimosPeppers said:

Intersting..... I'm sure we'll see this popping up converted digital files soon.  I never got the Soundcloud ones before the link went dead. Wish they would have included the official digital-files in the release.  Maybe someday.....

yes, it's weird. I'd expect the cassette would still be available proffessionally transferred as some hidden bonus on the Blu-ray (because there's no other place to put it, except for place it as hidden files on the USB stick, but I think people would already find it).

consider that a weird "retro" thing probably :)

5 minutes ago, zombux said:

yes, it's weird. I'd expect the cassette would still be available proffessionally transferred as some hidden bonus on the Blu-ray (because there's no other place to put it, except for place it as hidden files on the USB stick, but I think people would already find it).

consider that a weird "retro" thing probably :)

Yeah man....very strange ! lol  Hopefully the files pop up as a hidden bonus, but I doubt it.  We'll see..

It sounds pretty similar but not necessarily better just a bit different in some areas when compared to the original master. I'd pretty much just be repeating what others have said but I don't think it sounds bad at all. All things considered I'd say it could have been worse haha. I definitely notice a difference in the guitar mix which is probably due to different EQ but maybe that's just me. Dynamics is something I'm all for so it's a shame they've been reduced here.

• Like 1