GNR now tuning down their songs live

Stumbled across some videos from Barcelona and it appears the band have made the decisions to tune seemingly all songs down to help accomodate Axl.

I can understand why they have to try and make things easier on Axl, but still the songs lose a bit of their power as a result. Not to dissimilar to the Brian Johnston's last few years with AC/DC.

Some videos below for you to make up your mind.

Edited by Towlie

There's something strange about these videos. As they seem to be from the same source, I would guess there's something wrong with the video files themselves. I watched some more videos of Sweet Child O'Mine from the same show but couldn't really figure out if they really did tune down the guitars as the footage was mostly really bad :shrugs:

• Like 1

Most of the classic material is in Eb/D# already and some of CD is even lower, not that much room to tune down actually.

To my ears, the frequency seperation is a mess on this tour, leaving Axl stuck between going underneath or scream all the way above. With a pace and rhythm section like that they could tune the guitars down to C all the way and stil he'd struggle.

AC/DC are in standard and he sang the fuck out of these, but unlike Guns that band has a proper rhythm section and crystal clear frequency seperation.

Instead of tuning down just call Steven Adler - problem solved. The guy tunes his drums properly and cherry picks the right frequencies on his kit for the vocal and guitar parts so that bass and rhythm fill up the rest. I don't know when they lost their feel and hearing, but if they really want it the way they do it now they definetely lost some of it.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 1

It would make no sense to tune down ISE anyway given it's pretty much entirely sung in a lower register, so I'd agree with everyone else in saying it

s a problem with the video

7 minutes ago, Caedo said:

It would make no sense to tune down ISE anyway given it's pretty much entirely sung in a lower register, so I'd agree with everyone else in saying it

s a problem with the video

That's what I thought as well