Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

There has been some luke-warm reviews from people on here, but for the most part this is the freshest I feel like Slash has sounded in a while. Many of these songs have a great energy too them, and the album overall just feels kind of fun.

I can't put my finger on what exactly or where, but overall I think Frank's presence has helped Slash's sound on this album compared to when he was essentially doing everything in the studio guitar wise last album.

Like any Slash album there are still moments when he cuts into something or hits a note a certain way (like only Slash can do) that still give me that chill where the hairs on your arm stand up. The people who think he's lost it or is just recycling everything at this point are really missing out.

He still has that Slash sound people expect, but does it in a way that doesn't sound like 80's cock rock as you might expect from a guy in his 50's still playing rock n roll.

If Axl ever got interested in making music again there is still a great Guns record waiting inside Slash's guitar, that much is certain.

• Like 3

Just listened to the entire album.

Impression after 1st listen is that best work from Slash in years. A lot of stand out riffs and aggression similar to those Snakepit albums. Myles could have done better with his vocal melodies. A lot of his vocal parts sounded like he did it for the sake to fill in the specific parts. But that could be just the way they write their materials as Slash is the one who set how the songs will sound, and leave not much of a room to play with for Myles.

Need more time to process the album, but I like it so far.

• Like 4

After listening the album a couple of times I'll have to say Im really enjoying this album. Getting use to Myles' melodies. Read Between The Lines have such a great riff that my head automatically grooves along with it. The Great Pretender is a Anastasia-level epic-ness kind of song, but more in a ballad kind of way. Kind of reminds me of She's Gone by Steelheart.

Rest of the album is pretty solid with songs like Driving Rain, Serve You Right, Boulevard of Broken Hearts besides weaker songs like The One You Love Is Gone, My Antidote and Lost inside The Girl. They have potential but Myles missed the mark. Seems like he can't really figure out how to approach those songs. But they aren't bad too!

Best album by SMKC so far. Concise and straight up rock compared to WOF and AL.

• Like 1

Heard it once.

Still don't like what I didn't like before except for Serve You Right. The chorus doesn't fit at all and is really annoying but the rest of the studio version of this song is fantastic.

All in all I like the record after the first listen and I'm surprised that it is so diverse. Never thought of that after listening to the singles. 

Another surprise is that a lot of the music feels somehow matured. While WOF was more straight forward hard rock/metal, LTD has some great amount of classic rock in the instrumental parts IMO.

I have to listen to the whole thing a few times more before I can finally judge but it seems that I'm really diggin it and I'm more into the slower songs than the fast ones. But it's too early to use terms as great and epic even if some stuff goes in that direction.

Maybe it helped that I was such a dick and that I was moaning all the time. That lowered my expectations.

All's well that ends well I guess.

• GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I was coming in here to share this. It is a good interview. I always enjoy hearing how the artist comes up with the different songs, and ideas.