Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Myles brings a poppy AOR feel (and I'm not necessarily saying this in a negative way) which fuses with Slash's atypical hard rock fretwork. That is the ''sound'' of the band. It isn't Guns N' Roses - If you listen to it for GN'R you'll be disappointed. It is a fun aesthetically pleasing record. I rather like it. I suspect I'll tire of it quickly and stick Exile on, but right now I am enjoying its (rock) radio friendly charms. 

So funny you just mentioned Exile, I was just telling my buddies not 5 minutes ago in group chat that Exile is one of the greatest front to back albums ever.. Perfect listening at all times and you never want to skip a song.

• Like 1

Finally got around to listening to it this morning at work.

I mean, it's a good album. I'll go as far as to say it's really good. Not great, in my opinion. But very solid. 

I guess maybe part of me would much rather have literally any new Guns music which will make this album fall a little short for me. And I get that that's selfish. They don't owe me anything. Just a preference. 

Given how much I enjoyed, and still do enjoy World On Fire, this fell kinda flat in comparison. Still enjoyed it though. 

• Like 1

Positives:
-I think its much better than Apocalyptic Love, but can't say its better than World on Fire as of now.
-Definitely an album you can put on and let it play and not worry about skipping a song.
-Good length - doesn't go on & on like WOF.

Negatives:
-Guitars are a bit tinny.
-Myles used some of the same melodies - Kept thinking My Antidote was gonna turn into Wicked Stone :lol:

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Encouraged by the positive reviews. Listening to "My Antidote" on my Echo right now.. The whole band sounds great..  This song has an underlying heavy vibe to it but Myles somehow seems to squeeze the heaviness out of it.  Most other songs as well. 

I agree.

Some riffs that are pretty cool. 

It's not just Myles voice but the melodies he sings that are too much like pop music for me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Encouraged by the positive reviews. Listening to "My Antidote" on my Echo right now.. The whole band sounds great..  This song has an underlying heavy vibe to it but Myles somehow seems to squeeze the heaviness out of it.  Most other songs as well. 

What's your opinion on Serve You Right, Great Pretender and Lost Inside The Girl?

Really fucking weird seeing Slash thank Axl Rose, Beta Lebeis and Fernando Lebeis in the album booklet.

Album itself isn't bad. I actually quite liked the singles (must be in the minority on that one), but Mind Your Manners and Driving Rain are both decent tracks. Other highlights are The Great Pretender and Lost Inside The Girl.

The One You Loved Is Gone is a really nice track, but I can't help but feel it is trying to be Gotten Pt 2, but doesn't quite make the same impact. The chorus feels unfinished to me. Some really beautiful lead work on it though, and Myles does a good job, I just wish they'd spent a little longer on the arrangement.

The Call of The Wild is very Aerosmith. Probably my favourite album opener from SMKC.

Nice to have Slash back being creative. As much as SMKC aren't my favourite band, I would rather see Slash doing something creative than just more endless touring of the hits with Axl and Duff.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

I tried, but whenever I randomly select a song on youTube I always find myself bored with it, mostly due to it sounding just so so familiar. I can't get excited over this. For me they sound like outtakes from Apocalyptic Love, really. Leftover melodies.

• Like 2

I actually like it too, I wasnt a big fan of the 2 singles but rest is not bad. I like the mix Slash cuts through well could be a bit thinker sound, I think its the best quality out of the 3 albums 8/10. With Axl and a few lyric changes 9/10 :)

My favourites after about 10+ listens.

The One You Loved Is Gone

Lost Inside The Girl 

The Great Pretender

Serve You Right

The Call Of The Wild 

Boulevard Of Broken Hearts

My Antidote

Sugar Cane

• Like 2

Anyone else think Slash has stepped up his lead playing on this album? For AL and WOF, it very much felt like he was improvising most of his solos, and not really hitting those big money notes that made his lead work so great in the 90s. Maybe the GNR reunion and playing those old solos has inspired his lead playing again, because there's really some terrific solos on this album, far better than those on WOF and AL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Anyone else think Slash has stepped up his lead playing on this album? For AL and WOF, it very much felt like he was improvising most of his solos, and not really hitting those big money notes that made his lead work so great in the 90s. Maybe the GNR reunion and playing those old solos has inspired his lead playing again, because there's really some terrific solos on this album, far better than those on WOF and AL.

I don't know. They've got something memorable. They're typical Slash solos (great Slash solos).

But when I think of the solos from Halo, Anastasia, Wicked Stone, Beneath, Too Far Gone, Unholy and others... they were great too.

I don't know. All I know is, and I'm speaking for me here, that underneath Myles vocals there's probably the best hard rock album of this decade hidden.

One can imagine what it would sound like with Ax on vocals

Edited by Free Bird

One thing I don't get conviced about this album is the sound if the guitars, I think they'd great with a little more gain on them on some of the tracks.

I don't think it was difficult for Slash to get his nineties guitar sound nowdays, with all the technology, as I think it's his best guitar sound.

It's something I've always noticed, Slash sound, as for example his wah sound, it was great on the UYI albums and that tour, but after that time his wah sound has been very weak to me.

Edited by pentatonicamenor