Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

55 minutes ago, DK6 said:

I've listened to this album a few times now and after considering it seriously I feel comfortable referring to it as a pile of crap.

If young slash knew that old slash would be playing this shit music he would spew his guts up.

It sits somewhere between nickleback, matchbox 20 and maroon 5.

When did slash become pop music.

People on this thread "its great - so easy to listen to". Is that what we're after with a slash album?? If you like easy listening then boy have i got the artist foryou - Enya!

Ive been dreaming of a slash/axl album for 25 years and this makes me wonder if I should move on.

1. Call of the wild - dull, boring song that sounds like all their other crap songs. Myles bleats like a goat all over it. Id rather listen to the version of chop suey where all the weird goats do the singing.

2. Serve you right - more of the same. Nothing memorable about it at all. I hate myles weird whispering voice as much his goat bleating.

3. My antidote - after a bad start it actually gets worse! Slash trying to be tom morello for some reason. Am i missing something or have the first 3 songs got the same tempo, chorus, goat bleating and uninspired solo. Struggling to tell the songs apart at this stage.

4. Mind your manners - SMKC version of painting by numbers. Would struggle to dislike it more. 

5. Lost inside the girl - Myles sings this one like he's a magician on a stage in las vegas. Weird whispery voice again. Makes a change from the goat i suppose. Pretty sure myles is actually saying lost inside the grrrrrrl. Corny lyrics and generic guitar.

6. Read between the lines - worst guitar riff slash has ever written. Pretty sure he's actually used it before but its all blending together at this stage. Terrible song. The verses make me cringe so much.

7. Slow grind - trying to pretend this song never happened. Appalling. Vocals hit a new low. I'm almost positive slash has ripped this riff off from himself bout 5 times.

8. The one you loved is gone - beautiful main guitar riff. Vocals are quite nice at the start. Meanders a bit. Solos aren't bad. Finally made it to a song thats semi listenable. What a relief.

9. When i first heard this song as a single i thought it was soft. Thought slash needed to grow some balls. Compared to the other "rock" songs on this album it sounds like lamb of god. Was disappointing as a single but turns out to be one of the better songs.

10. Sugar cane - don't think i can bring myself to talk about this one. Makes me too upset. 

11. The great pretender - this song is trying be something that it doesnt quite become. The something that its trying to be is messages by VR. At least it doesn't sound like all the shit pop music on this album. Misses the mark though. Rubbish verses. 

12. Boulevard of broken hearts - why does slash start with the riff from eye of the tiger? Myles is too much of a pansy for Rocky. This song is trying to be epic. My last bowel movement was more epic than this. This whole song seems incredibly forced - once again much like my last bowel movement.  Lyrics are pathetic.

To say this album is disappointing is like saying that external hemorrhoids are a tad uncomfortable. 

Slash needs to learn the difference between a good friend and a good vocalist.

I'd rather listen to axl if he was going through a techno funk folk opera stage and started singing in italian.

Slash seems to surrounded by band mates too scared to tell him he keeps bringing in the same song ideas.

Slash is my favourite guitarist ever. Has inspired me with my own guitar playing so much. But its getting to the stage where i think we need to stage an intervention. He needs to be saved from himself - and myles. This can't go on.

Funny review, but far too many references to bowel movements. 

Slash is, for better or worse, one of those artists who puts out whatever he creates and doesn't overthink his output. Perhaps some more care and time would increase his quality control, but that's not who is Slash is, and quite frankly, I'd rather Slash's approach to making music than Axl's, who never seems inspired or motivated to create anything new. 

it's funny how you criticise the album for being too pop and yet you're favourite song on the record (The One You Loved Is Gone) is the poppiest song on there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Funny review, but far too many references to bowel movements. 

Slash is, for better or worse, one of those artists who puts out whatever he creates and doesn't overthink his output. Perhaps some more care and time would increase his quality control, but that's not who is Slash is, and quite frankly, I'd rather Slash's approach to making music than Axl's, who never seems inspired or motivated to create anything new. 

it's funny how you criticise the album for being too pop and yet you're favourite song on the record (The One You Loved Is Gone) is the poppiest song on there. 

I guess I'm just unhappy about the path he's gone down with his music at the moment. 

I think its more myles really.

At least the one you loved is gone is a ballad not a pop song pretending to be a rock song. 

I think thats the difference.

I think some of the ideas could be pretty cool with axls input.

I think they bring the best out of each other.

Slash needs to be challenged more.

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I was talking about Slash's guitar. Not about Myles. You have to be able to get the difference between Slash's guitar playing and Myles' vocal melodies

True enough mate.

Its definitely myles bringing it down for me.

Just find it hard to get past that and focus on the music.

There is some cool ideas from Slash. I guess im just disappointed with the songs they become after myles has his way with them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DK6 said:

I guess I'm just unhappy about the path he's gone down with his music at the moment. 

I think its more myles really.

At least the one you loved is gone is a ballad not a pop song pretending to be a rock song. 

I think thats the difference.

I think some of the ideas could be pretty cool with axls input.

I think they bring the best out of each other.

Slash needs to be challenged more.

I actually think this is SMKC's best album to date, but yeah, I don't think Myles particularly challenges Slash. I'm sure some of these riffs given to Axl would've resulted in the songs being developed further as Axl is undoubtedly a singer/artist with far more depth than Myles.

But until Axl can be arsed to record a new record, this is all Slash is going to do. It isn't Slash's fault that Axl is too lazy to record new music.

• Like 1

My top songs after about 25+ listens

Serve You Right

Boulevard Of Broken Hearts

Lost Inside The Girl

The One You Loved Is Gone

The Great Pretender

The Call Of The Wild 

My Antidote

Sugar Cane

Read Between the Lines [Not a big fan of the song but the solos is killer]

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Gibbo said:

My top songs after about 20+ listens

Serve You Right

Boulevard Of Broken Hearts

Lost Inside The Girl

The One You Loved Is Gone

The Great Pretender

The Call Of The Wild 

My Antidote

Sugar Cane

Read Between the Lines [Not a big fan of the song but the solos is killer]

Am I the only one who can totally hear Scott Weiland singing "c'mon, c'mon read between the lines" ?

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Everytime when there's a new album to be released I'm saying to myself. Don't judge to early, don't say awesome, best ever or anything like that. This time I started just fine but as soon as I heard the whole album I was just to surprised. 

But you're right, time will tell what's really good and what's not.

I am liking it more than my first impression but it far from blows me away or anything. Still appears to be my least favorite album Slash has been on. :shrugs:

6 hours ago, DK6 said:

True enough mate.

Its definitely myles bringing it down for me.

Just find it hard to get past that and focus on the music.

There is some cool ideas from Slash. I guess im just disappointed with the songs they become after myles has his way with them.

Exactly this for me.

Oh well. It was bound to happen.

So this is the worst Slash album. Easily. Its not even a contest. Contraband is a classic, Ain't Life Grand is a classic, Its 5 O Clock Somewhere has a ton of incredible songs. I've liked all 3 of Slash's solo albums. I know they aren't anywhere near classic level but they are all different and all represented more than I thought Slash was capable of. I love Myles but I've always understand the generic comments and the whining comments. I think his work on Apocalyptic Love and World On Fire is really good though. Sure it limits Slash a bit but overall it serves his purpose and I've never thought it hurt him. Its just not quite as good as it could be. Then you have Libertad, which is fine. Again, enough really good songs on there to not dismiss the whole album.

Where do I start with this record? I think the whole thing is an absolute mess. Right down to the cover art, right down to the album title. Obviously all of that is superficial but they don't help. And the album is just so damn forgettable. As I said, I've been the biggest proponent of Slash and his solo work, and Myles, but this seems like the laziest effort from all of them. The singles weren't very good. Mind Your Manners is the best of the lot and thats a FINE song. Its nothing special. Singles have never been their strengths though so I held out hope for the real record. Didn't help.

Its horribly uncreative and is by far the most bored I've ever been listening to Slash. I think I've reached the ceiling on Myles stuff. I'm sorry, I'm his biggest supporter with Slash, I think he's an all around incredible guy, but this album proves once and for all that he has one mode and that mode is just boring and tired here. His choruses have reached the point where they are completely predictable and his vocal delivery and the vocal melodies he comes up with are all exactly the same. I couldn't believe in whatever song it was (Driving Rain or My Antidote) when I heard "you're the dark to light..." He's stealing bad lyrics from himself?! And then also in My Antidote when he copies the exact beginning chorus from either Too Far Gone or Wicked Stone (or both and I'm just now realizing they are the same). Thats just pure and simple laziness or that he is incapable of thinking of something else original and that to me is very sad. And then the La Las in whatever song it was (The One You Loved Is Gone?) which harken back to Battleground? Just too many familiar territories in what sound like poorer versions of songs they've already done that it really turned me off.

I'm harsher on Myles but Slash doesn't really help himself on this record either. He goes off a couple good times but overall the playing just sounds lazy and uninspired. There's usually a ton of guitar stuff that jumps out at me on a Slash record and none of it was memorable to me on three listens. I don't know if there have ever been songs on a Slash record I've wanted to skip but he's found them with stuff like Lost Inside The Girl, The You Loved Is Gone and The Great Pretender. Its a sad but expected situation from a band that I don't think is done but this is a troubling sign. I never wanted this to become a thing Slash just does in his offtime from GNR (where he's not creating ANY new music) and I get nervous about what this is becoming. Cause this album and now combined with the live shows which are now simply playing what are the usual Slash and Myles fare has really changed what was always exciting about this band. The albums, while admittedly never groundbreaking, were always fun and showed a growing Slash, and the live shows used to be incredible. A trip through Slash's truly under-appreciated catalogue of work that always had a great deal of setlist difference night to night. I knew as they got more original material they would stick to that, and now its simply new material and then the "staples" off of each preceding album with a smattering of new tracks. Not my cup of tea, although I'm sure it'll still be fun. But an incredible period in Slash's career does seem to be over. I so miss hearing this band crank out Snakepit material and covers and all the other fun stuff that made a Slash show not to be missed.

Don't mean to sound too tired but no reason to beat around the bush. I always give Slash the benefit of the doubt. To me, this is just not good and I'll be curious to see if he adds more songs to the show or not. I don't even know where rotations would go in this tour. Very sad. Hopefully the new songs sound better live but this truly seems more like an obligation than an act of joy at this point.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

This is the best Slash album musically since UYI2. It is that fucking good. Myles doesn’t even bother me anymore. I can listen to this album all the way through with no issues. It is GREAT. Slash is in top form. Axl must be liking what he is hearing guitar wise. 

I thought the same today!

• GNFNR 1

19 minutes ago, gunsfanoldie said:

But an incredible period in Slash's career does seem to be over. I so miss hearing this band crank out Snakepit material and covers and all the other fun stuff that made a Slash show not to be missed.

I do agree with this. From 2010-2015 they played lots of different songs from his past and that's what really made his shows exciting. Now they're a lot more predictable.

I'm still enjoying the record but I think as time goes on and Slash releases more albums this one will end up being one of the weaker ones. 

21 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It's strange that Slash likes Myles' singing so much, actually. 

When you look at his former singers, you would asume he prefers guys that have some swagger,  have charisma and can do some rock n' roll screaming.

This album would be cool with the guy from Monster Truck singing, for example.  But no, it's Myles. Again.

I asked that myself. I don't know if Slash like Myles' contributions, if he chose him because of his ability to sing Slash's entire back catalogue or if he just don't care what Myles sounds like as long as he's putting some vocals over Slash's music so he can express himself through guitar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smoking guns said:

This is the best Slash album musically since UYI2. It is that fucking good. Myles doesn’t even bother me anymore. I can listen to this album all the way through with no issues. It is GREAT. Slash is in top form. Axl must be liking what he is hearing guitar wise. 

Yeah, I gotta say, this album has really surpassed my expectations. It's probably the only album Slash has released where I genuinely like/love every track.

It seems to be quite a divisive record amongst GNR fans, people either love it or hate it. But for me, I really wasn't expecting much. I like AL and WOF, but they never got me overly-excited. I bought them both when they came out and dug 4-5 tracks off each album, but found them overly-long, meandering and with a bit too much filler.

LTD is a tight album, every song has its place and I can play it beginning to end without feeling the need to skip anything. I never thought I'd say that about a Slash album, but I really feel Slash and Myles have knocked it out of the park with this one.

If they can keep making records of this quality, I ain't even that bothered if Slash wants to stick with Myles and let Axl sit on his arse in between cashgrab tours.

• Like 2

After several full listens, anyone who claims this is a better album than WOF is daft IMO. It is on par with AL, but nowhere NEAR World On Fire. One step forward, 2 steps back is what has happened here. Trying new styles and things which is cool, but only 1 song is up there with the best songs from WOF and that is too weak. WOF was everything you could ever expect from a guitarists solo album. Several epics, long drawn out solo sections, short to the point rockers, masterful ballads with emotional solos, dirty riffs. This is just a plain old album compared to it.

Why the best songs are not released as singles first is beyond me and I will never understand why Serve You Right was not the first single from this album. It would have made me hyped 10x more than Driving Rain did, which is run of the mil radio rock to the core.

TCOTW: Better opener and song than WOF, but worse than opener title track from AL. Still a good 7.5/10

Serve You Right: The song of the album. Pure straight hard rock with epic solos, a simple but very cool riff, and very good vocals and melodies. The "Wicked Stone" of this album. It even surpasses it. Up there with the best things from WOF. 10/10

My Antidote: Somehow the studio version of this song doesn't blow me away like the first live performance I've heard from it. IMO a good song ruined by too polished production. 6/10

Mind Your Manners: A good WOF like rocker, nothing to complain about here. Amazing chorus. 8/10

Lost Inside The Girl: Sadly this hyped song does nothing for me. I'd take a listen to any song from WOF over this. Not sure why. 4/10

Read Between The Lines: Back to the good stuff, kinda funky and heavy and such an amazing solo. I somehow feel they should have made the bridge the chorus or the pre chorus because it is so good and it would have made the song even better. Also the rhythm behind the solo reminded me a lot of Aerosmiths Won't Let You Down solo section. 7.5/10

Slow Grind: Not sure what to think about this one yet, but epic solo once again. Another a bit funky track, and the solo section almost has the same rhythm behind it as Read Between the lines had, no one noticed that? No complaint though because it makes for an amazing solo yet again. 6/10

The One You Loved Is Gone: Decent, but not Bent To Fly or masterclass Battleground level. After Battleground, which has one of Slashs most ambitious, epic, and masterful compositions aswell as solos to it's name, I was excited to hear what kind of ballad he would write after writing that. He ended up copying the lalalas into this song at the end. I found that funny.. 8/10

Driving Rain: The definition of a radio song. Catchy and not bad, good solo, what elevates it a bit is the cool reference to Standing In The Sun in the bridge which other people hate. 6/10

Sugar Cane: Really looked forward to this song because I expected a Dirty Girl type song, but I was cool if it wasn't that because Serve You Right already delivered that for me. I get the feeling this will end up as filler on many peoples minds like Avalon from WOF (which I LOVE). Not for me. 3 minutes of rock n roll bliss. 8.5/10

The Great Pretender: I'm not into classical type stuff or playing, as such I'm also not a big fan of Anastasia but I can recognize both as good songs, but not a song I will listen to a lot. Maybe it will grow on me anyway. 7/10

Boulevard of Broken Hearts: Nice closer, but nowhere near The Unholy level of greatness, now that was a closer. Once again like The Unholy, completely different than the rest of the album. Very cool solos, I love Myles uplifting lyrics. 8/10

All in all maybe a 7/10, on par with AL, maybe AL edges it slightly out for me. But no grandiose all fullfilling project like WOF. It could have been way worse..this is not a letdown.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • GNFNR 1