Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

13 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

After several full listens, anyone who claims this is a better album than WOF is daft IMO. It is on par with AL, but nowhere NEAR World On Fire. One step forward, 2 steps back is what has happened here. Trying new styles and things which is cool, but only 1 song is up there with the best songs from WOF and that is too weak. Why the best songs are not released as singles first is beyond me and I will never understand why Serve You Right was not the first single from this album. It would have made me hyped 10x more than Driving Rain did, which is run of the mil radio rock to the core.

TCOTW: Better opener and song than WOF, but worse than opener title track from AL. Still a good 7.5/10

Serve You Right: The song of the album. Pure straight hard rock with epic solos, a simple but very cool riff, and very good vocals and melodies. The "Wicked Stone" of this album. Up there with the best things from WOF. 10/10

My Antidote: Somehow the studio version of this song doesn't blow me away like the first live performance I've heard from it. IMO a good song ruined by too polished production. 6/10

Mind Your Manners: A good WOF like rocker, nothing to complain about here. Amazing chorus. 8/10

Lost Inside The Girl: Sadly this hyped song does nothing for me. I'd take a listen to any song from WOF over this. Not sure why. 4/10

Read Between The Lines: Back to the good stuff, kinda funky and heavy and such an amazing solo. I somehow feel they should have made the bridge the chorus or the pre chorus because it is so good and it would have made the song even better. Also the rhythm behind the solo reminded me a lot of Aerosmiths Won't Let You Down solo section.

Slow Grind: Not sure what to think about this one yet, but epic solo once again. Another a bit funky track, and the solo section almost has the same rhythm behind it as Read Between the lines, no one noticed that? No complaint though because it makes for an amazing solo. 6/10

The One You Loved Is Gone: Decent, but not Bent To Fly or masterclass Battleground level. After Battleground, which has one of Slashs most ambitious, epic, and masterful compositions aswell as solos to it's name, I was excited to hear what kind of ballad he would write after writing that. He ended up copying the lalalas into this song at the end. I found that funny.. 8/10

Driving Rain: The definition of a radio song. Catchy and not bad, good solo, what elevates it a bit is the cool reference to Standing In The Sun in the bridge which other people hate. 6/10

Sugar Cane: Really looked forward to this song because I expected a Dirty Girl type song, but I was cool if it wasn't that because Serve You Right already delivered that for me. I get the feeling this will end up as filler on many peoples minds like Avalon from WOF (which I LOVE). Not for me. 3 minutes of rock n roll bliss. 8.5/10

The Great Pretender: I'm not into classical type stuff or playing, as such I'm also not a big fan of Anastasia but I can recognize both as good songs, but not a song I will listen to a lot. Maybe it will grow on me anyway. 7/10

Boulevard of Broken Hearts: Nice closer, but nowhere near The Unholy level of greatness, now that was a closer. Once again like The Unholy, completely different than the rest of the album. Very cool solos, I love Myles uplifting lyrics. 8/10

I like Bent To Fly as a song more than TOYLIG but it lacks this epic solo TOYLIG has. Bent To Fly's solo is good but nothing special IMO. 

Never was the biggest fan of Battleground and its solo always was a weaker NR solo version to me.

But TOYLIG's solo is as epic as it gets for me as a Slashfan. Overall the solos on this record blew me out of my mind.

Contraband is better than Use Your Illusion for me - second only to Appetite in Slash’s catalogue.

I like the new album but, as a Myles fan, I must admit he sounds uninspired which is a shame because he dropped a masterpiece in Year Of The Tiger earlier this year. 

Slash and the band sound red-hot though. I think Slash, ultimately, is ready to get back onboard the GNR album train.

I don't usually do this but as a huge supporter of slash and a musician (drummer) myself here's my take song by song and then overall. There seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on this album. Before I start, I want to say UYI II is my favorite Guns album, I liked WOF, hated Apocalyptic love except for Anastasia, have 3 favorite songs from VR days (slither, you got no right, and fall to pieces), back to the moment and serial killer are my favorite slash solo songs, I liked his solo album with the other musicians, and don't like alter bridge. 

1.) Call of the Wild is uh interesting? The intro is something I never expected slash to do with the stopping and starting. It's unique to him and kinda reminds me of something Richard Fortus or something on CD. The break down before the solo is similar to some stuff in WOF and I think the solo is straightforward. It's not a bad song. I don't like where it's placed in the setlist right now though! I don't think its that strong of a song to open an encore. Drums are good as is the other instruments but Myles' voice is kinda eh until the break down when he goes into the lower register. Lyrics aren't spectacular either. I guess the Riff was made during the WOF tour so it makes sense as to why it reminds me of that album.

2.) Serve you right: I like this riff. This is an old-school slash sound. The ending solo reminds me of a nightrain vibe how it just fades off. Sounds like he could play for hours. This song has grown on me. It's actually kinda catchy. The solo is good too. Still, I think the outro is the best park. I like how Myles kinda harmonizes with the guitar. Very Aerosmith. Drums and other instruments are kinda boring. Especially the drums. Lyrics aren't bad. Overall not that bad of a song. 

3.) My Antidote: intro is completely like Mr brownstone live then goes into you could be mine. Love the use of the wah peddle. My favorite single. Love the drums in this song as well. Must be great live too. Lyrics are pretty good. I don't like the "in stereo part" though. Maybe I don't understand it? Still like it. Strong song. Solo is catchy. uptempo and rock. 

4.) Mind your manners I hate. Kind of annoying vocals and use of myles high pitch vocal range. I don't really like the lyrics either. But the music isn't bad. Catchy riff. could be on WOF probably. 

5.) Lost inside the girl is the intro of Neither Can I off of 5 O'Clock Somewhere. I don't know if Myles is trying to sound scary or what but up until the chorus, it's kinda weird. Chorus and solo aren't bad. I feel like Rod Jackson would be great on this song. His voice would fit so well. I like the riff. Drums and other instruments aren't bad either but that voice up until the chorus is cringy. 

6.) Read between the lines intro is awesome. I love the riff! The wah effect into the regular riff is awesome. The drums could have been way better in the intro. They're kinda bland. Better than Frank would do! The vocals remind me a lot of inside the girl. His voice until the chorus is just kinda weird but I like it more than lost inside the girl. Solo onward are great. Might be one of my favorite solos on the album. His guitar cries again. Post solo before the chorus repeats the guitar reminds me a bit of civil war with the wah effect. Maybe I'm crazy? 

7.) Slow Grind. One of my lead favorites. I don't know why I just don't. Poor explanation sorry

8.) The one you loved is gone: best song on the album. Give me Axls Patience voice and this could be a GNR Song. I've listened to this one at least 30 times already. I absolutely love it. The tribute to battleground at the end is kinda lazy but it fits. Shoulda just let slash go to town with the solo. Overall this is the best song on the album in my opinion. Music is supposed to be something you can relate to, this song does just that. The solos are great. This actually might be my favorite Slash/Myles Song. Hopefully, anyone who listens to this song has it in their top 3 for this album. I want to see this live when I see them in October

9.) Driving Rain, its grown on me over the months. One I first heard it I didn't like it. Now it's not that bad. Radio friendly. Not much to say. Pretty straightforward. He steals lyrics again though. He's done that a few times. Kind of lazy. Once or twice is ok but the more you do it the lazier you are. Just my opinion.

10.) Sugar cane, wtf is this?

11.) The Great Pretender: Whoa this intro is cool. Hooks you pretty well. Then we get don't try 2.0. Thanks, GNR influence for this one maybe we can get a don't cry 3.0 when a guns album is released. Still probably a top 3-5 favorite on the album. I wonder if Brent Fitz struggled with trying not to do tom fills that sound like Don't Cry due to all the cymbal crashes. I bet Steven must love the cymbal crashes cuz this is kinda how his Don't Cry demo sounds. I like the solo and outro solo as well. Could anyone else see this song in a movie? 

12.) Boulevard of Broken Hearts: another favorite. Eye of the tiger intro is a bit weird though. Sounds like a regular Slash/Myles song though. The drums and lyrics are to be expected almost. After the solo, I hear rocket queen with the drums. I was playing this on set yesterday and started playing something very similar to the drums in RQ. 

I'd give it a 7.5/8 out of 10. Slash has potential with a lot of the music but the lyrics and drums are kind of generic. I think the Myles road should come to a close after this tour. Things are starting to similar to each other now. I love Myles on some GNR songs, Serial Killer, Beggars and Hangers on, and Slither, a long with the slash solo album stuff but if they aren't playing any of that on tour I'm basically going to see the guitarist I love. Which is fine for me (I have the free show at Mohegan Sun in CT). 

Axl should listen to this album. There's GNR influence in 1/3 to 1/2 of the songs. It's almost as if slash is saying hey I can still play guitar and sound like i'm in GNR. This should hopefully spark some creativity. 

Bottom line is if you dislike the album, I understand why. things are a bit generic and predictable but there are some good songs here. No album will be perfect like UYI or AFD but this song has 1-2 bad-awful songs in my mind. Its a grower. You need to listen to each song at least 3 times to make up your mind. Let it digest then listen again a few minutes later. 

Edited by Gunsdrummer63
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I don't usually do this but as a huge supporter of slash and a musician (drummer) myself here's my take song by song and then overall. There seems to be a lot of mixed feelings on this album. Before I start, I want to say UYI II is my favorite Guns album, I liked WOF, hated Apocalyptic love except for Anastasia, have 3 favorite songs from VR days (slither, you got no right, and fall to pieces), back to the moment and serial killer are my favorite slash solo songs, I liked his solo album with the other musicians, and don't like alter bridge. 

1.) Call of the Wild is uh interesting? The intro is something I never expected slash to do with the stopping and starting. It's unique to him and kinda reminds me of something Richard Fortus or something on CD. The break down before the solo is similar to some stuff in WOF and I think the solo is straightforward. It's not a bad song. I don't like where it's placed in the setlist right now though! I don't think its that strong of a song to open an encore. Drums are good as is the other instruments but Myles' voice is kinda eh until the break down when he goes into the lower register. Lyrics aren't spectacular either. I guess the Riff was made during the WOF tour so it makes sense as to why it reminds me of that album.

2.) Serve you right: I like this riff. This is an old-school slash sound. The ending solo reminds me of a nightrain vibe how it just fades off. Sounds like he could play for hours. This song has grown on me. It's actually kinda catchy. The solo is good too. Still, I think the outro is the best park. I like how Myles kinda harmonizes with the guitar. Very Aerosmith. Drums and other instruments are kinda boring. Especially the drums. Lyrics aren't bad. Overall not that bad of a song. 

3.) My Antidote: intro is completely like Mr brownstone live then goes into you could be mine. Love the use of the wah peddle. My favorite single. Love the drums in this song as well. Must be great live too. Lyrics are pretty good. I don't like the "in stereo part" though. Maybe I don't understand it? Still like it. Strong song. Solo is catchy. uptempo and rock. 

4.) Mind your manners I hate. Kind of annoying vocals and use of myles high pitch vocal range. I don't really like the lyrics either. But the music isn't bad. Catchy riff. could be on WOF probably. 

5.) Lost inside the girl is the intro of Neither Can I off of 5 O'Clock Somewhere. I don't know if Myles is trying to sound scary or what but up until the chorus, it's kinda weird. Chorus and solo aren't bad. I feel like Rod Jackson would be great on this song. His voice would fit so well. I like the riff. Drums and other instruments aren't bad either but that voice up until the chorus is cringy. 

6.) Read between the lines intro is awesome. I love the riff! The wah effect into the regular riff is awesome. The drums could have been way better in the intro. They're kinda bland. Better than Frank would do! The vocals remind me a lot of inside the girl. His voice until the chorus is just kinda weird but I like it more than lost inside the girl. Solo onward are great. Might be one of my favorite solos on the album. His guitar cries again. Post solo before the chorus repeats the guitar reminds me a bit of civil war with the wah effect. Maybe I'm crazy? 

7.) Slow Grind. One of my lead favorites. I don't know why I just don't. Poor explanation sorry

8.) The one you loved is gone: best song on the album. Give me Axls Patience voice and this could be a GNR Song. I've listened to this one at least 30 times already. I absolutely love it. The tribute to battleground at the end is kinda lazy but it fits. Shoulda just let slash go to town with the solo. Overall this is the best song on the album in my opinion. Music is supposed to be something you can relate to, this song does just that. The solos are great. This actually might be my favorite Slash/Myles Song. Hopefully, anyone who listens to this song has it in their top 3 for this album. I want to see this live when I see them in October

9.) Driving Rain, its grown on me over the months. One I first heard it I didn't like it. Now it's not that bad. Radio friendly. Not much to say. Pretty straightforward. He steals lyrics again though. He's done that a few times. Kind of lazy. Once or twice is ok but the more you do it the lazier you are. Just my opinion.

10.) Sugar cane, wtf is this?

11.) The Great Pretender: Whoa this intro is cool. Hooks you pretty well. Then we get don't try 2.0. Thanks, GNR influence for this one maybe we can get a don't cry 3.0 when a guns album is released. Still probably a top 3-5 favorite on the album. I wonder if Brent Fitz struggled with trying not to do tom fills that sound like Don't Cry due to all the cymbal crashes. I bet Steven must love the cymbal crashes cuz this is kinda how his Don't Cry demo sounds. I like the solo and outro solo as well. Could anyone else see this song in a movie? 

12.) Boulevard of Broken Hearts: another favorite. Eye of the tiger intro is a bit weird though. Sounds like a regular Slash/Myles song though. The drums and lyrics are to be expected almost. After the solo, I hear rocket queen with the drums. I was playing this on set yesterday and started playing something very similar to the drums in RQ. 

I'd give it a 7.5/8 out of 10. Slash has potential with a lot of the music but the lyrics and drums are kind of generic. I think the Myles road should come to a close after this tour. Things are starting to similar to each other now. I love Myles on some GNR songs, Serial Killer, Beggars and Hangers on, and Slither, a long with the slash solo album stuff but if they aren't playing any of that on tour I'm basically going to see the guitarist I love. Which is fine for me (I have the free show at Mohegan Sun in CT). 

Axl should listen to this album. There's GNR influence in 1/3 to 1/2 of the songs. It's almost as if slash is saying hey I can still play guitar and sound like i'm in GNR. This should hopefully spark some creativity. 

Bottom line is if you dislike the album, I understand why. things are a bit generic and predictable but there are some good songs here. No album will be perfect like UYI or AFD but this song has 1-2 bad-awful songs in my mind. Its a grower. You need to listen to each song at least 3 times to make up your mind. Let it digest then listen again a few minutes later. 

Cool to see someones reaction to the album being almost exact to mine, you're only 0.5 points from me. One thing I'd point out is Myles didn't "steal" his own lyrics lol, it was deliberate because Slashs instrumental part was Standing In The Sun. It fit to make it a complete tribute both with lyrics AND music and not just have random music of SITS coming into the song, that would have been weird for real, and random. Also the "in stereo" part of My Antidote is him referencing music, that's the antidote he's talking about. Maybe this will be interesting for you: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-and-myles-kennedy-offer-track-by-track-breakdown-of-living-the-dream-album/

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I like Bent To Fly as a song more than TOYLIG but it lacks this epic solo TOYLIG has. Bent To Fly's solo is good but nothing special IMO. 

Never was the biggest fan of Battleground and its solo always was a weaker NR solo version to me.

But TOYLIG's solo is as epic as it gets for me as a Slashfan. Overall the solos on this record blew me out of my mind.

Bent To Fly is maybe not really comparable to this because it's not a straight ballad like this is. But Battleground is untouchable to me, the first solo is only "great", and then it just morphs into a completely different song out of nowhere with one of the best chord progressions in existence, and followed by an over 1 minute solo that can only be described as guitar heaven and no one could have soloed over this music better than that. No one. Slash is the master of soloing over ballads even though he hates them which is fascinating and sort of funny. And for the last minute starting at 6:10, the song changes yet again into a very "building up" riff but still following the same chord progression of the 2nd half. 

Maybe TOYLIG is not really comparable to BG either because it's so epic in it's scale, changing several times while this is a straight on Patience like acoustic ballad. Both are good in their own way. I just prefer it when Slash wants to do really ambitious songs and it all falls into place like it did in BG. I just feel like he could write songs like TOYLIG in his sleep for all next records he will make, while fully realized epics like BG are seldom for him (only NR and Estranged basically).

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

7 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Bent To Fly is maybe not really comparable to this because it's not a straight ballad like this is. But Battleground is untouchable to me, the first solo is only "great", and then it just morphs into a completely different song out of nowhere with one of the best chord progressions in existence, and followed by an over 1 minute solo that can only be described as guitar heaven and no one could have soloed over this music better than that. No one. Slash is the master of soloing over ballads even though he hates them which is fascinating and sort of funny. And for the last minute starting at 6:10, the song changes yet again into a very "building up" riff but still following the same chord progression of the 2nd half. 

Maybe TOYLIG is not really comparable to BG either because it's so epic in it's scale, changing several times while this is a straight on Patience like ballad. Both are good in their own way. I just prefer it when Slash wants to do really ambitious songs and it all falls into place like it did in BG. I just feel like he could write songs like TOYLIG in his sleep for all next records he will make, while fully realized epics like BG are seldom for him (only NR and Estranged basically).

I think I'll have to go back and listen to battleground again. Maybe I missed something :P

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

After several full listens, anyone who claims this is a better album than WOF is daft IMO. It is on par with AL, but nowhere NEAR World On Fire. One step forward, 2 steps back is what has happened here. Trying new styles and things which is cool, but only 1 song is up there with the best songs from WOF and that is too weak. WOF was everything you could ever expect from a guitarists solo album. Several epics, long drawn out solo sections, short to the point rockers, masterful ballads with emotional solos, dirty riffs. This is just a plain old album compared to it.

Why the best songs are not released as singles first is beyond me and I will never understand why Serve You Right was not the first single from this album. It would have made me hyped 10x more than Driving Rain did, which is run of the mil radio rock to the core.

TCOTW: Better opener and song than WOF, but worse than opener title track from AL. Still a good 7.5/10

Serve You Right: The song of the album. Pure straight hard rock with epic solos, a simple but very cool riff, and very good vocals and melodies. The "Wicked Stone" of this album. It even surpasses it. Up there with the best things from WOF. 10/10

My Antidote: Somehow the studio version of this song doesn't blow me away like the first live performance I've heard from it. IMO a good song ruined by too polished production. 6/10

Mind Your Manners: A good WOF like rocker, nothing to complain about here. Amazing chorus. 8/10

Lost Inside The Girl: Sadly this hyped song does nothing for me. I'd take a listen to any song from WOF over this. Not sure why. 4/10

Read Between The Lines: Back to the good stuff, kinda funky and heavy and such an amazing solo. I somehow feel they should have made the bridge the chorus or the pre chorus because it is so good and it would have made the song even better. Also the rhythm behind the solo reminded me a lot of Aerosmiths Won't Let You Down solo section. 7.5/10

Slow Grind: Not sure what to think about this one yet, but epic solo once again. Another a bit funky track, and the solo section almost has the same rhythm behind it as Read Between the lines had, no one noticed that? No complaint though because it makes for an amazing solo yet again. 6/10

The One You Loved Is Gone: Decent, but not Bent To Fly or masterclass Battleground level. After Battleground, which has one of Slashs most ambitious, epic, and masterful compositions aswell as solos to it's name, I was excited to hear what kind of ballad he would write after writing that. He ended up copying the lalalas into this song at the end. I found that funny.. 8/10

Driving Rain: The definition of a radio song. Catchy and not bad, good solo, what elevates it a bit is the cool reference to Standing In The Sun in the bridge which other people hate. 6/10

Sugar Cane: Really looked forward to this song because I expected a Dirty Girl type song, but I was cool if it wasn't that because Serve You Right already delivered that for me. I get the feeling this will end up as filler on many peoples minds like Avalon from WOF (which I LOVE). Not for me. 3 minutes of rock n roll bliss. 8.5/10

The Great Pretender: I'm not into classical type stuff or playing, as such I'm also not a big fan of Anastasia but I can recognize both as good songs, but not a song I will listen to a lot. Maybe it will grow on me anyway. 7/10

Boulevard of Broken Hearts: Nice closer, but nowhere near The Unholy level of greatness, now that was a closer. Once again like The Unholy, completely different than the rest of the album. Very cool solos, I love Myles uplifting lyrics. 8/10

All in all maybe a 7/10, on par with AL, maybe AL edges it slightly out for me. But no grandiose all fullfilling project like WOF. It could have been way worse..this is not a letdown.

Interesting thoughts. Although I much, much prefer LTD to WOF.

I personally think The One You Loved Is Gone is a million times better and more heartfelt than Bent To Fly and Battleground (I thought the ballads on WOF were kinda weak tbh).

I do agree however that Sugar Cane is awesome. Such a fun track.

• Like 1

Well here we go.. I have heard every song at least 5 or 6 times. Enough to write a review that no one will read ;)

I have been an huge Slash fan for 30 years and for the most part eat up everything he has released. I have seen him live about 20 times between all his bands. I have liked or loved everything he has released and at times been more open minded just because it was Slash. In my opinion Living the Dream is by the worst album he has ever released  from any band. I am not blaming him because there are some solid riffs and foundations for cool songs as well a a few cool solos but overall it is a giant snooze-fest. Myles single handily ruins the potential of any great or even good songs. Not just with his voice but his verses are so monotonous and tired.. It is always the same thing over and over and so boring. I am not a huge fan of his voice but it has still worked well in the past. WOF was a killer killer album... 

Anyway, this is what I got.

Call Of The Wild -  Nothing about this song does anything for me.. Total throw away and terrible way to start an album.

Serve You Right - One of the better songs but not great.. Pretty cool riff and groove.. The outro jam is pretty sweet.. The verses and chorus are boring and hold the song back.

My Antidote - Cool intro starts until Myles comes in with the same ooohs and ahhhs he has done 20 times before. Right after that Slash starts tearing it up! Then boom another boring ass vocal verse and chorus that sounds like all his others. The riff behind the chorus is cool.

Mind Your Manners - The the generic vocals I think a lot of the riffage sounds like old school early AC/DC. There is some underlying heaviness to the song that is wasted. Slash tears it up though and I love the solo.. Should have saved this one for Guns...

Lost Inside the Girl - Starts off a bit dark and moody like some of the stuff on WOF.. Then it just goes downhill and cheesy.. Pretty killer solo and some cool guitars but Myles.......

Read Between The Lines - Boring filler.. 

Slow Grind - Boring Filler.. Sounds like half their other songs.. Same predictable and over rated harmonies with Myles and Todd.. Cool solo

The One You Loved is Gone - Sort of reminiscent of Battleground but not anywhere close to as good. Cheesy fluff.. aside from Slash's leads it is terrible..

Driving Rain - When I first heard this I thought it was ok but was looking forward to much better stuff on the album. That didn't happen but this one grew on me.. Pretty catchy chorus

Sugar Cane - Boring Filler.. 

The Great Pretender - This might be the best song on the album guitar wise.  The vocals are boring as hell.. Such a waste.. Slash is pretty awesome on this.. Another one that I wished he saved for Guns... That main lick is fucking sweet.

Boulevard of Broken Hearts - Cool leads.. That is it..

In my eyes this band has run it's course. They are pretty tight live but Myles just holds the music back.. So boring... I have a few friends that are Slash/Myles fans and they weren't impressed either. Such a subpar album for Slash.. There is nothing on here the same caliber as Anastasia, Starlight, Beneath The Savage Sun, Wicked Stone, Carolina, Battle Ground, Not For Me, No More Heroes, Standing In The Sun, 30 years, Iris.. Nothing close... I might send the CD back when it comes in the mail.

As I said at the beginning I have seen Slash like 20 times between  GnR, VR, Snakepit, Solo and Camp Freddy.. I think I am going to be selling my tickets for the upcoming show.. The last two SMKC albums had some good songs and they mixed in the set nicely. The great thing about those shows were that they showcased all of Slash's work and amazing career. Guns, VR, Snakepit, Solo stuff and a couple covers.. Now it is pretty much all SMKC stuff and I am not sure that is good enough to carry a whole show.. Rocket Queen and Anastasia were always the highlights for me and he is still playing those which is cool but I dunno..  Anyway.. I spent the last couple days listening to Living The Dream and probably never will again. 

Contraband
The Spaghetti Incident
Libertad
Slash
It's 5 o'clock somewhere
World On Fire
Apocalyptic Love
Ain't Life Grand
Living The Dream

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

My overall impression is that it sounds like a more streamlined and cohesive record than the last two.  

WoF, and AL had more highs and lows, great moments mixed with some clunkers.  

This is one sounds very deliberate and safe, and lacks a lot of swagger and grit as a result.  

Ps: I don’t like that Myles recycles lyrics and melodies a bunch.  “Soooooo looong”

Edited by TheFormerSoul

The more comments I read the more negative the reviews get. That's not just on this forum, that's online too. The highest review was an 8/10. A lot of 3/5s or 7/10s. Seems like an ok to good album that could have been good to great with better lyrics or a different vocalist. My question is, would we still think this way had GNR not reunited? This is the first music he's put out since 2015. A lot has changed since then. As GNR fans do we have high expectations for this album because it's slash? Probably. But did he let us down? Probably not. The music is good, but it lacks the punch of a good hook or lead. I think he came up with good riffs and the solos are pretty good but Myles really limited the upside. Slash has worked with some pretty great frontmen and Myles really is an outside the box singer for him. His voice can fit a GNR song or some snakepit stuff but when they write original songs something seems to limit the upside. 

I’ve yet to come to a conclusion about Living the Dream, but all these posts talking up Battieground and Unholy? Are you listening to the same songs as me? Both are boring and have nothing impressive from Slash on them, riff wise or solos either  

Boulevard on the other hand... one of Slash’s best solos, post-Guns of course. But still, best song on Living the Dream, easily. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, metallex78 said:

I’ve yet to come to a conclusion about Living the Dream, but all these posts talking up Battieground and Unholy? Are you listening to the same songs as me? Both are boring and have nothing impressive from Slash on them, riff wise or solos either  

Boulevard on the other hand... one of Slash’s best solos, post-Guns of course. But still, best song on Living the Dream, easily. 

I love Unholy, but I'm with you on Battleground. The One You Loved Is Gone is the best ballad SMKC have done and rivals Starlight for the best Slash/Myles slow song.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, FrenchGNRfan said:

This thread makes me laugh like seriously if you don’t like a song it means it’s boring ? You decide what’s good and what’s not ?

Unholy is boring as hell to me I don’t like it so it means it’s shitty ? Objectively I don’t think so

I don’t recall saying it was shitty. I too said it was boring. I just don’t know why it’s talked up for

I guess my point is that, for example Boulevard has some stellar playing from Slash on it, and that’s what I imagine would impress listeners here. I don’t hear that on Battleground or Unholy, for them to be talked up so much 

Edited by metallex78

1 hour ago, metallex78 said:

I guess my point is that, for example Boulevard has some stellar playing from Slash on it, and that’s what I imagine would impress listeners here. I don’t hear that on Battleground or Unholy, for them to be talked up so much 

I think Slash shows at both his melodic abilities. it comes in different styles I've noticed on living the dream the solos are more old school sounding, some of his phrasing is more lyrical

• Like 2