Slash & Myles on 'Living The Dream' + new single, writing process, tour plans, tracklist & more.

Gibson87

5 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

Talk about recycling!  First the Lyrics and now the car goes off the cliff like in don’t cry!!!  Lol

i like the video.  Was kinda hoping that animal from the muppets would have made an appearance on drums.  lol. no offense to Puppet Brent

Hahah, I immediately thought of the Don't Cry video too. They should have definitely had puppet Slash throw his guitar off the cliff!!  ;)

• Haha 1

My Review of "LIVING THE DREAM " 

1- Call of the Wild- Opening riff with delay is futuristic , cool way to start the song -then ACDC type riff to lead the song , the breakdown in the middle of the song is great "WHEN YOU ARE A SLAVE TO THE MACHINE "  lYRIC LEADS TO A KILLER BUT SHORT SLASH solo- Lyrics and Myles singing are killer -outro solo is smoking with Brent killing the drums , 8  out of  10 

2- SERVE YOU RIGHT - Riff is killer , MYLES singing in low tone and then comes back to his normal register -- Dirty Rock N roll , drums, bass, vox and guitar  are perfect , SLASH AND MYLES KILL ON THIS ONE , MY fav so far , SLASH is a beast on this one , Sounds like a 70s rock number - fucking brilliant , SLASH ON KILL , SOLOS ARE KILLER INCLUDING A THICK TONE, SLASH SOLOING AND mYLES SINGING OVER THEM A GREAT MIX -10 out of  10 

3- MY Andidote -- SCRATCH riff is heavy as fuck , wish the whole song was like this - the licks leading into the beginning lyrics are purely SLASH and I love that - whole song rocks , SLASH throwing in wah wah licks , Only wish MYLES would have sung this one with a 'ONE LAST THRILL kinda vox" drums are killer and the solo is the best SLASH has done in a while on tape in the studio , the best wah wah player in the world -SLASH SHINES ON THIS ONE - KILLER NUMBER - 10 out  of  10 , EPIC theme SLASH AND THE DRUMMER -BRENT FITZ are killing on every track 

4- Mind YouR MATTERS -- opening RIFF is fantastic , then the usual SLASH lick underneath , 'YOUR LOVE IS SORROW BUT IN THE END IM GLORY BOUND" Maybe a message to PERLA , WHO KNOWS ? SOLO is fucking EPIC , ELVIS did a great job this time capturing "SLASH'S live Tone' OUTRO SOLO I love it -WHOLE BAND IS ON FIRE - 8 out of 10 

5- LOst inside the girl - first curveball on the record - MYLES is on fire on this number , EPIC vocals by MR KENNEDY -- SLASH is playing at the top level on this record , damn this is a killer song , didnt dig it when I heard it a while back , MYLES'S personal baby , the solos are EPIC once again -a little wah wah , this tone is a gnr tone , SLASH is SLASH -DAMN this cat is on fire , the breakdown chording almost has a" shots fired intro " to it , MYLES IS A 10 ON THIS ONE -Slash solos fit perfect with Myles on this one and MYLES DOESNT SING SO SOFT ON THIS ONE -EPIC ballad --8 out of 10 

6- Read between the Lines- has a VR feel to me on this one - the formula Myles has and the band have on this one is EPIC , the back vox - sound just like the 80s , Pretty straight up Riff , Still love TODD mixed in the song - he is great , wah wah solo is killer - pretty much a evolving theme to every song , wish the riff was mixed up higher in the mix- overall a great number the solo makes  this a 8 instead of a 7 - 8 out of 10 

7- SLOW GRIND - a LITTLE FUNKY , THE BASS LICK KINDA SOUNDS like the Munsters theme song in a cool way , good song not great , SLASH solo is on fire ,  didnt really dig this one when I first heard it , better than when I first heard it but so far the weakest track on the record - 4 out of 10 

8- The one you loved is gone- ALTERBRIDGE sounding song - MYLES shines once again on this one , Killer SONG , this is a myles song , SLASH solo COMES FROM a place ive heard before , in the 80s this would have been a number 1 hit on MTV top 5 of the day - SLASH kills on this one too- 8 out of 10 SLASHS SOLO IS EPIC 

9- Driving Rain -- everyone has their own description on this  number , OPENING RIFF and DRUMS are killer , Myles singing about a lost love - Sounds like the lyrics are perfect response to the divorce , " to avoid all confusion she said she has been using but not again " The melody is a little weak in what otherwise is a killer sonng -SLASH IS EPIC on this one too -sound familar ? GET USED TO IT !!!  6 out of 10 

10 -Sugar cane - Opening Riff is killer -jam type of riff - Todd is killing the bass on thIS number - he has the whole record , just stands out to me a little more on this number - groove riff - almost got a superstition vibe to it -great jam song , live will be EPIC , WISH Slash would have went off on this one for like 3 minutes , has that jam feel to it -- 6 out of 10 

11- The great Pretender- Virtuoso lick to open the song , a little GARY MOORE influence for sure , a lot more JEFF BECK influence to me , classical lick that most instumental players use in one form or another , the hooks , the lyrics are classic , MYLES whether u like it or not is KIlling on this one too , Slash's SOLO is breath taking fits the song perfect , then the clean strumming is awesome , the opening lick to MYLES singing to SLASH'S Solos are outstanding from the beginning to the end --10 out of 10 

12-Boulevard of Broken Hearts - almost a fleetwood mac type of into , very different for SLASH , HAS A WOF type feel to this one , guitaR  tone is thick and mean -FUCK YES - thank YOU ELVIS and JEFF for getting SLASH'S tone on record , most cant do that and u cats have done just that outstanding , Myles sings like the wof album on this more than most , Myles is outstanding on thIS one again , SLASH is on kill once again -LOVE this song , the intro is way different but I dig it after hearing the solo 'MYLES FUCKING KENNEDY "  the lick after the song ends is killer 8 out of 10   

SLASH killed on this record in every way possible  , MYLES IS MYLES , Brent impressed me , I ve heard him live and he is so powerful and this record captures that - Todd 's playing  is second to none on this record, everyone knows his back ground vox are killer but give the cat credit for crushing the bass , Frank is very impressive , listen to in headphones and listen to Franks parts , he and Slash mix well together , almost IZZY LIKE , FRANK is a rythmn player and doesnt fuck around   - SLASH didnt dissapoint , man this cat keeps getting better , virtuoso in every genre he wants to play , love that there is outro solos on most every number as a SLASH fan thats what we always wished for , MYLES is outstanding , his clean vox are secong to none , I love his lyrics , the next SMKC record will be even better , every album they get better as a fan thats all we can hope for !!                                                                                                                                                 Overall a great record considering these cats hadnt played together in a few years 

A fact A lot of people dont know about this band , ALL of these cats -SLASH, MYLES, BRENT , TODD and FRANK are all virtusos of their craft , this band can make a progressive record, a heavy metal record, a rock n roll record , a blues record which i would love to hear !!! a acoustic record there isnt any type of music this band cant play  -A TRUE ROCK N ROLL BAND  8 out of 10 overall "living the dream" 

Edited by TMAC20
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FrenchGNRfan said:

Do you know why Slash always used his guitars tuned half step down ?

Maybe because of the voice, it's more confortable for high vocals notes, also the music sound heavier on E flat tuning.

But on both VR albums, Slash is tuned on E standard.

Extreme is tuned half step down too, as many others.

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He doesn't always do it. Several songs on his solo and SMKC albums aswell as VR have songs in standard tuning. Only GNR is always tuned down a half step

I think live both VR and SMKC play 1/2 step down permanently. VR started out playing live in standard, but shows from the 2nd album are all tuned down. And it was the same with Myles. It's just easier on the singers.

One week after the release of the album, I think I've listened to Living The Dream atleast 10 times. Surprisingly, one of the tracks I enjoy the most is "Driving Rain" (which I criticized a lot when it was released as a single). I find it catchy as fuck, and Myles doesn't ruin it with his repetitive choruses. My problem with most of the songs is that they sound like WOF, but they are not bad songs. I probably enjoy it a lot because is new, in one year or two I may not even remember if the songs from WOF are from LTD or vice-versa.

- The songs I like the most are The Call Of The Wild, Boulevard Of Broken Hearts, Lost Inside The Girl and Serve You Right.

- I still think that Mind Your Manners is trash. Sugar Cane is also very weak IMO.

- A lot of moments in the album are ruined by Myles voice (high notes specially), but most of all because of some choruses and lines that he uses, that sound all the same to me.

- The Great Pretender is a good concept but I still don't like the song that much. It may be the best song in terms of writing (I don't know much about that TBH), but currently I can't enjoy it.

- I still think that the greatest solo of the album is on The One You Loved Is Gone. I think the whole song is very GNR, I keep thinking about it with a soft Axl voice on top. But the solo (as I said the day LTD leaked) just screams Guns, atleast to me.

I think it's too early to say if it's better than WOF or AL, because the factor of being new plays a huge role. So I'll answer that in a few months. But it's a great album and it definitely surprised me, the singles that they chose didn't make the album justice.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

been listening to the album a lot from start to finish. fun album to listen to, driving rain is my least favorite track, but every tune there is something I enjoy. it's usually Slash and that's what I try to focus on the most. 

I think I prefer 17 tracks over just 12 even if the pacing here is way better naturally. I just wanted a few more tunes, the album feels kinda short to me. Call of the wild could have used a longer solo and a better chorus.

Slash doesn't reach for the sky here, he actually revisits a lot of what he did bekefiore and mixed it with some other influences that are more prominent this time. aerosmith, zz top, ac/dc,etc. it's not as metallic as world on fire was. it's interesting cause I think this album represents the band's sound better, but it wasn't as big of a progression as wof was after apocalyptic love. still feels like there's a better album in them and i'd like to see what they do next in probably 2 years.

I like album equally to world on fire, but there weren't huge tracks like in world on fire. still another flavor added and I like the less complicated runs and shredding on some parts, others I wanted that more blistering metal edge some of Slash's solos have. Slash could push himself harder I believe, but it's about what I've expected. pretty good album, hopefully the next one will be more ambitious and mix the best parts of world on fire and living the dream plus one big gun like Anastasia and Wicked Stone. I consider Safari Inn a perfect piece of music, much more interesting than Anastasia but to each his own.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Rovim said:

hopefully the next one will be more ambitious and mix the best parts of world on fire and living the dream plus one big gun like Anastasia and Wicked Stone. I consider Safari Inn a perfect piece of music, much more interesting than Anastasia but to each his own.

The Great Pretender > Anastasia > Wicked Stone

42 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Great Pretender

Serve You Right

Wicked Stone

Savage Sun

Unholy

Anastasia

Nothing To Say

By The Sword

The Last Fight

Slither

Fall To Peaces

Serial Killer

Ain't Life Grand 

Beggars And Hangers On

Neither Can I

Now that would be a record.

And still several songs missing of each album

I actually think LTD is a pretty great album, as is. It's by far the best SMKC album imo and the best album Slash has been on since Contraband.