Slash is Live at the Rainbow with Eddie Trunk

18 minutes ago, TheSlashrose said:

By the way we all know that Axl has at least 2 albums ready, unfortunately we will not have it

New release of AFD does not mean to be a new album

I don't understand the enthusiams for those albums of unreleased songs. Axl found them worse than the songs that are on CD or he would've put them onto CD instead of the songs that are on CD. If they were good they would've been released by him. I personally don't want to hear songs of Axl singing over Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba guitar riffs that weren't good enough to end up on CD in the first place. It's like begging to sniff on trash. Maybe out of curiosity somewhere down the line, but I want them to write a new album of new material. Axl can reuse all the lyrics he wrote for those unreleased songs.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

I have to disagree with the assumptions here a bit.  There was a video early on in the NILT tour with the guy responsible for staging, logistics, etc. (can't remember the guys name).  He referred to the three principals (Axl, Slash, & Duff I'm assuming) being in charge of design, etc.  I believe Axl still holds the lions share of ownership and authority, but it sounded as though there were at least two other parties with significant input into the design and processes.  I'll see if I can't find that video.

12 minutes ago, pastortine said:

I have to disagree with the assumptions here a bit.  There was a video early on in the NILT tour with the guy responsible for staging, logistics, etc. (can't remember the guys name).  He referred to the three principals (Axl, Slash, & Duff I'm assuming) being in charge of design, etc.  I believe Axl still holds the lions share of ownership and authority, but it sounded as though there were at least two other parties with significant input into the design and processes.  I'll see if I can't find that video.

is Dale Skjerseth, aka Opie, the guy's name?

2 minutes ago, bucketOtrouble said:

is Dale Skjerseth, aka Opie, the guy's name?

Yep, that's the dude.  I'm browsing through some of the early NILT videos of him to catch the one that had that particular phrase (the three principals).  I found one where he referred to 'the principals', but not the one where he clarifies and says the three principals in response to a question.

15 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't understand the enthusiams for those albums of unreleased songs. Axl found them worse than the songs that are on CD or he would've put them onto CD instead of the songs that are on CD. If they were good they would've been released by him. I personally don't want to hear songs of Axl singing over Bumblefoot and DJ Ashba guitar riffs that weren't good enough to end up on CD in the first place. It's like begging to sniff on trash. Maybe out of curiosity somewhere down the line, but I want them to write a new album of new material. Axl can reuse all the lyrics he wrote for those unreleased songs.

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying they won't be good because they weren't on CD. Perhaps some were held back for other albums on purpose. It wouldn't be the first time.

As far as the interview goes I think it was a good interview.

The fact that they can tour GnR and talk about new music while still respecting each others outside projects says alot.

So many people keep going on and on about how if things were going good Slash wouldn't be doing his album and tour. He said as was said before this was already started before GnR happened. He always planned and intended to come back to it. Why wouldn't he? Much like I respect Axl's loyalty to his band members I respect Slash's to his.

I think rightfully they will continue their respectful personal projects as well as come back and make new GnR music.

Many of the recent comments by Kat and Melissa show that the NITL tour is coming to an end for now. 

During that break Axl may do AC/DC Slash will tour his album and others like Duff may have projects to do as well. 

I think it's smart. In a year or so maybe next Summer even they can come back to GnR and record and tour an album.

We have now had Axl and Slash say new music has been talked about but it seems it will be once touring and prior/new obligations settle down.

I never once expected Slash to leave his band high and dry because GnR are getting along it wouldn't be fair to those guys. He put a lot into it. He can do both.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see other GnR members join Axl in AC/DC or even guest appearances with Slash who knows.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, BOSSY78 said:

I don't know if I'd go as far as saying they won't be good because they weren't on CD. Perhaps some were held back for other albums on purpose. It wouldn't be the first time.

As far as the interview goes I think it was a good interview.

The fact that they can tour GnR and talk about new music while still respecting each others outside projects says alot.

So many people keep going on and on about how if things were going good Slash wouldn't be doing his album and tour. He said as was said before this was already started before GnR happened. He always planned and intended to come back to it. Why wouldn't he? Much like I respect Axl's loyalty to his band members I respect Slash's to his.

I think rightfully they will continue their respectful personal projects as well as come back and make new GnR music.

Many of the recent comments by Kat and Melissa show that the NITL tour is coming to an end for now. 

During that break Axl may do AC/DC Slash will tour his album and others like Duff may have projects to do as well. 

I think it's smart. In a year or so maybe next Summer even they can come back to GnR and record and tour an album.

We have now had Axl and Slash say new music has been talked about but it seems it will be once touring and prior/new obligations settle down.

I never once expected Slash to leave his band high and dry because GnR are getting along it wouldn't be fair to those guys. He put a lot into it. He can do both.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see other GnR members join Axl in AC/DC or even guest appearances with Slash who knows.

I can't believe that he would do it for CD. It was his mammoth project in the works for a number of years and everyone wanted to hear it and there were big expectations of it and how it was going to sound. He knew he would be judged by the world including Slash who he hated at the time, and who had huge success with VR following GNRs breakup. He had a point to prove and I just don't see him not putting the best songs out of them all on that album. But we can't look into the guys head so..

And the ACDC thing seems to be history now, as one of the ACDC forum admins told the board today that he has multiple sources saying ACDC is going to be making a small farewell tour and record a couple new songs with Brian, Cliff and Rudd coming back, so Axl should have enough time now to focus on GNR.

This still isn't the one that I'm looking for, but there is a lot of tidbits in the videos on this site (several videos covering everything from band relations to AC/DC and Axl)  https://www.11alive.com/article/news/local/guns-n-roses-what-we-learned-from-a-chat-with-the-bands-production-manager/281781548

If everybody wants decent answers,  Dale Skjerseth, aka Opie, is the guy people should be seeking out to interview.  He just seems to answer everything pretty straightforward without a lot of ambiguity.

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I can't believe that he would do it for CD. It was his mammoth project in the works for a number of years and everyone wanted to hear it and there were big expectations of it and how it was going to sound. He knew he would be judged by the world including Slash who he hated at the time, and who had huge success with VR following GNRs breakup. He had a point to prove and I just don't see him not putting the best songs out of them all on that album. But we can't look into the guys head so..

And the ACDC thing seems to be history now, as one of the ACDC forum admins told the board that he has multiple sources saying ACDC is going to be making a small farewell tour and record a couple new songs with Brian, Cliff and Rudd coming back, so Axl should have enough time now to focus on GNR.

I haven't been over there in a while. Will have to go check it out.

As far as your comments on CD go it would have to depend on your thoughts on CD and its music. So many look at it in black n white only. Did Axl really base his song choices on someone else's expectations or in competition with VR? I doubt it. VR was also very lucky to have a already well known singer in Scott with a huge following as well. That also is my opinion as I happen to like Scotts voice. 

I think Axl made due with what he could as far as fans and media went. People judged and decided before the album even came out. I've been around these forums for years and this comment isn't about anyone in particular but before the album even came out fans already had in their mind how it wasn't going to be good without Slash or this one or that one. This is probably the only forum I really ever post on though. I love this forum. It did take me years of just reading and watching forums before I joined any forums though.

Many fans could only think about how Axl is to blame for their favorite bands breakup. So yes it was going to take a lot to "win" those fans back. It was certainly unfair considering as fans we don't truly know the truth.

An example is sometimes songs don't fit the flow or message of an album so you keep them for another album. 

Another being your not done writing or working on the song.

Many of GnRs greatest hits were written way before release for example.

This I love is a good example as it almost didn't make it on the album. It's a great song. I'm sure there are more songs like that.

We also have UyI 1 and 2.

Why are people acting like it is a negative reflection of GNR that slash is doing his thing with miles kennedy? Maynard James Kennan is in Tool, Pucifer, and A Perfect Circle. James Iha plays guitar for Smashing Pumpkins and A Perfect Circle. Mike Patton is in Dead Cross, Faith No More, and many other side projects. Dave Lombardo plays drums for Slayer, Dead Cross, Suicidal Tendencies, and The Misfits. It's not always a negative if you are doing more than one thing.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I saw AC/DC on that last tour with Brian and thought it was phenomenal. 

Don't get me wrong. It was still good, but not great. Something was off from the previous performances that I saw. 2009 was probably the best out of the four AC/DC concerts that I saw  including with Axl.  Maybe it was due to the fact AC/DC  was one of the last groups to play  at the  old Giants Stadium. AC/DC probably wanted to just give more effort  for that  show since the plan was to demolish Giants Stadium after the Giants football season ended that year. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:
Trunk: And you know what I think is amazing looking back on where this is now, is... man, it’s remarkable what Axl was able to do, night in and night out. You guys were playing like 3 hours sets.

Slash: 3 ½ hours sets and he was... amazing, in like, every single show. So he was, he was...

Trunk: Yeah.

Slash: It was really cool to watch him do it.

Yeah he was, from the people who know what they are talking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creed said:

GnR is just weird  since 1993. I don't care about a new album as long Melissa, Frank and Fortus are part of it. 

An album with those guys is better than no album at all. If the music ends up being shit you can always just not listen to it. If we have no album in the first place, exactly 0% chance we will like atleast one song. There's also the possibility they will get Izzy or Matt or Steven on some songs in the studio. I actually think Izzy is highly likely to get called up by them and maybe also record atleast a bit.

• Like 1

It's pretty obvious that Axl doesn't like the process of recording in the studio and the band can make more money from touring. They haven't worked on anything new yet judging from the recent interviews going round. I would say the best bet is for them to re-record some of the old stuff like crash diet, maybe a couple of covers from the tour and release an album with like 10 songs on it.

People here keep saying that Axl is running the show and Slash/Duff are just along for the ride (cash). But it just doesn't add up...

How exactly does Axl have any leverage in this situation? Going into this tour, Nu Guns was (allegedly) in dire financial straits. Most of the principal nu-guns players like Bumble and Stinson were half-way out the door before a reunion was even announced. A Chinese Democracy follow-up had been killed by the label with a Slash or GTFO mandate (allegedly). Nu Guns were playing to smaller and smaller audiences with each subsequent tour - you're talking about a band that would probably have struggled to fill arenas moving forward (especially in North America). And last but not least, Slash these days is a far bigger icon and star than Axl. He's also significantly more relevant. 

Given the response to the current tour and them packing stadiums, it seems crystal clear that Slash is the star of the show and the primary draw for this reunion tour. And let's not forget Interscope who are probably thrilled to have Sluff onboard - meaning Guns could conceivably put out product in the marketplace now. So, in what world is Axl calling the shots? Because he had primary legal claim over a severely diminished brand (pre-2016)? 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 4