Slash is Live at the Rainbow with Eddie Trunk

3 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

You're welcome. You can see evidence of what I just talked about in Axl's hesitance to release CD over so many years and how many years he spent working on November Rain.  Artists typically care about what is going to be thought about what they will be releasing. 

You and me know that there is a HUGE difference between caring about how your music is received and writing your music with the purpose to please critics and fans

One thing i am not sure if you know is that Axl Rose spoke A LOT of times about how he wrote songs that HE likes first and foremost -- and NEVER to please critics and fanbase

did you know about that?

is there any evidence that Axl Rose changed his mind about that particular subject?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 8/4/2018 at 10:37 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

I can't believe that he would do it for CD. It was his mammoth project in the works for a number of years and everyone wanted to hear it and there were big expectations of it and how it was going to sound. He knew he would be judged by the world including Slash who he hated at the time, and who had huge success with VR following GNRs breakup. He had a point to prove and I just don't see him not putting the best songs out of them all on that album. But we can't look into the guys head so..

And the ACDC thing seems to be history now, as one of the ACDC forum admins told the board today that he has multiple sources saying ACDC is going to be making a small farewell tour and record a couple new songs with Brian, Cliff and Rudd coming back, so Axl should have enough time now to focus on GNR.

Weren't Axl, Rudd and Cliff just spotted in Vancouver where they recorded the last few records? That goes against everything that's been said so far by e.g. the official biographer. You really think after the fun he had with Axl Angus wants to do a small retirement tour? I can't see it unless Axl said he couldn't do it which is unlikely given how massively enthusiastic he was.

Personally I hope it's true because the idea of Axl wasting what's left of his voice and time singing banal lyrics when he's got a tonne of his own stuff in the can is just insane to me.

you guys gotta get over once and for all.

While Izzy soo stuff to me was really boring, only CD was worse, without him there is no new GNR musicc and they know it. Canter explained it all long time ago how it worked, they need him to get things rolling and Matt/Gilby for the vibe.

They can't record with Ferrer/Fortus/Mel and they know it, that is why we stand where we do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

you guys gotta get over once and for all.

While Izzy soo stuff to me was really boring, only CD was worse, without him there is no new GNR musicc and they know it. Canter explained it all long time ago how it worked, they need him to get things rolling and Matt/Gilby for the vibe.

They can't record with Ferrer/Fortus/Mel and they know it, that is why we stand where we do.

That is an awful lot of baseless speculation

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

I know axl should have could have released more music but they're still in touring mode so im trying to give axl the benefit of the doubt. 

That's where my thoughts have been since the tour started. Very few bands record new music before or during a 'reunion' tour, especially one of this magnitude and success. I'm willing to let the tour end and let everyone do their side stuff and then see what happens. If it doesn't, then it's time to get disappointed. The fact that Slash even commented on it at this point has to be a small bright spot.

• Like 2

On 05/08/2018 at 10:35 PM, Free Bird said:

To be honest, I haven't heard the studio versions of IRS and Prostitute for probably almost a decade now so I'm not that familiar with these songs. But I remember a shredding solo, I think it has to be the one in Prostitute. If that is one of the solos you are talking about then my opinion is that it's a totally different style and in no way comparable with Slash's guitar. 

I'm not judging the quality since it's personal taste but again, IMO that has nothing to do with evolving the sound of the band but with changing it completely. That said, it was Axl's project so I had to deal with it, but what concerned me the most were their live contributions to the old songs. Hearing my favorite music get butchered like that by Finck and BH broke my heart as a fan.

Fincks attempts playing the classics were horrendous and BH, while technically perfect, did never manage to get the GNR vibe in his playing. Not that he's ever tried but still it wasn't what the songs were screaming for.

I'm happy Slash's back now and I enjoyed their gigs much much more than the new Guns gig I saw in 2010.

But you can obviously see the other side of the coin, with Slash throwing out the majority of the CD guitar parts. Those songs may not be NV, or Sweet child to most people, but to some there are definitive parts that need to be played.

I wasn't a big fan of some of the 2000-2014 live versions.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:28 AM, Tom2112 said:

Slash throwing out the majority of the CD guitar parts.

Yes, he'd have to. He's gotta make them his own. Otherwise just get a session guy to replicate the stuff. I mean, it's Slash, that name has value, that playing style has value, that sound has value. And that value is far higher than the guys whose parts he would replace.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Yes, he'd have to. He's gotta make them his own. Otherwise just get a session guy to replicate the stuff. I mean, it's Slash, that name has value, that playing style has value, that sound has value. And that value is far higher than the guys whose parts he would replace.

That's a completely unmusical thing to say. Slash is iconic and he is great, yada, yada... But that doesn't mean every other gnr guitar player is thrash compared to him. Like it or not those other musicians brought interesting things to the table. They also wrote solos that we're memorable (like the outro in better or the TIS solo). I accept that the more atonal fretless or bucket type leads might are jarring to some, but the more bluesy parts are as good as it gets.

Example of Slash adding his parts and making it work well with what had come before is Madagascar. A completely new part but it was complimentary and brought the song to a new place. I thought so e of his other contributions mainly his solos were distractions and over indulgent... Considering how over indulgent CD could be at times it didn't really have room for more of that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2018 at 8:46 AM, Rovim said:

I know axl should have could have released more music but they're still in touring mode so im trying to give axl the benefit of the doubt. 

Here Lies Russ' Benefit Of The Doubt

2002                         -                       2016

:lol:

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...