Poll: Should Guns N' Roses release the remix album this November to coincide with CD's 10th Anniversary?

Make your opinion heard.  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I don't think it's about selfishness or denying others new music. The answer is much more simple. If something is (objectively) bad, why put it out in the marketplace? It only sullies the brand further and potentially hurts their commercial prospects down the line. For a band that is clearly interested in generating handsome profits from their fanbase, it just doesn't make fiscal sense.

And as a fan, I really don't need another TSI. Just like I didn't need Terminator 3 or Indiana Jones 4. Sequels that just left a bad taste and sullied the memory of the originals. More is not always better. 

You honestly think that people who vote 'No' in this thread do it because they fear for the fiscal results of such a commercial endeavor? :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

You honestly think that people who vote 'No' in this thread do it because they fear for the fiscal results of such a commercial endeavor? :lol:

Yes, because as I keep pointing out: the greater majority of the users on this forum only want what's best for GNR. 

Releasing terrible remixes from a ten year old album isn't what's best for GNR. 

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

How can it be objectively bad though,

Aren't there bad movies you like?  

If it sucks by whatever metric is used to get a general consensus of public and critical opinion - that's what I would call "objectively bad".

2 minutes ago, zombux said:

meh. I consider the remixes Brain's solo project, and if it should be ever released, it should be released under Brain or Brain&Melissa (she was confirmed to have worked on the demos together with Brain!) moniker. 

I think Pitman and Dizzy worked on a few remixes a well.

Just now, RussTCB said:

Yes, because as I keep pointing out: the greater majority of the users on this forum only want what's best for GNR. 

Releasing terrible remixes from a ten year old album isn't what's best for GNR. 

Well, we will never get what is best. If you are going to say 'no' to everything except the best, you will get nothing. And that's a life lesson.

If a remix album will be loved by someone, anyone, then I want that remix album out, even if I personally won't like it (and I haven't heard one remix song from CD I have liked). The songs are already there. What is shameful is just hogging it. Share it with the fans. Just let us enjoy it for what its worth. Maybe I simply care more about fans and their appreciation of art, than that GN'R is always "successful" in all they do? And hell, it is just a remix album. Not even in the GN'R camp are people so obtuse that they will base future endeavours on the success of it. Just release it over the Internet, let people pay whatever they feel for it. Listeners and critics will take it for what it is, especially if it is just put out there and not presented as a new album or something serious in any way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Not necessarily, but I think most people don't want an album that promises to be worse than The Spaghetti Incident. 

Bad product makes me lose interest in a brand I once enjoyed. You might be different though.

10 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Aren't there bad movies you like?  

If it sucks by whatever metric is used to get a general consensus of public and critical opinion - that's what I would call "objectively bad".

I don't know, man, maybe you're right. I guess to me everything is subjective because everyone has a different taste. I think a lot of people like Chinese Democracy, and a lot of people only dislike it because it's not what they want it to be, or because it's Axl's solo record.

Edited by EvanG
typo
  • Like 2

Just now, RONIN said:

Not necessarily, but I think most people don't want an album that promises to be worse than The Spaghetti Incident. 

Bad product makes me lose interest in a brand I once enjoyed. You might be different though.

Yes, I am different. I don't are about "brands." I care about products that I like, regardless of what "brands" they come from.

22 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Axl's new vocals on This I Love are his best since the 90's, which is an indispitable fact.

How is that a fact? If you hate rasp, those vocals are the worst vocals by Axl since the 90's. Rasp is not the same as good. Not everybody even likes rasp. I like Axl's raspy vocals personally, but I still prefer his original take on TIL, cause the original vocals have way more emotion IMO. 

18 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I can't understand people who are like, "well, I think the music is shitty so I hope they don't release it" -- despite the fact that that would deny the ones who would enjoy it the pleasure of having it. It is not mere selfishness, it is malicious selfishness. I wonder how Hanlon would describe it?

I think that kind of thinking has a lot to do with not wanting your favorite band to become a laughing stock. I might enjoy the remix album as a curiosity myself, but I'm still not sure if I want them to release it. GNR has done a lot to gain it's reputation back, so I'm not sure if I want them to release something that would make them look ridiculous. So it's not purely selfish in my opinion. It's also something that you think would be the best for GNR and in that sense best for all the GNR fans. I think most GNR fans want the general public to view GNR as a cool band, even if some don't care about the reputation of GNR one bit.

Now of course I might be exaggerating the consequences of releasing the remix album. It might not necessarily affect GNR's reputation in any way. But I guess that is what people still fear about the release of that album. That it would make GNR a laughing stock.

Personally I like Silkworms, Going Down and the This I Love remix. If those would have been on the remix album, I guess it wouldn't have been all bad. But the rest of the remixes... they're super meh. But who knows what the finished product would have sounded like. So I'm not totally against releasing it, if they add more great remixes, like the TIL one. But if it's gonna be just a half-arsed release, I don't think it's a good idea to release it. I don't want half-arsed releases from GNR in general. We've waited for CD2 a decade. I have no problem waiting longer as long as the end product is good.

Maybe if the remix album would be released in some kind of a package, kinda like the AFD package was, with a lot of other unreleased stuff too, that might work better. But if they just released a half-arsed Chinese Democracy remix album out of the blue and that's it. I don't think it would be a very good idea. But that's just me.

Just now, Lies They Tell said:

I think that kind of thinking has a lot to do with not wanting your favorite band to become a laughing stock. I might enjoy the remix album as a curiosity myself, but I'm still not sure if I want them to release it. GNR has done a lot to gain it's reputation back, so I'm not sure if I want them to release something that would make them look ridiculous. 

I don't think releasing a remix album makes GN'R less of a laughing stock than they are today, at least not if it is done correctly (i.e not hyping it up to be anything it isn't). What makes GN'R a laughing stock is partly the inability to release music. Releasing a fun little remix album which has already been made, especially if it is free, to please the fans in a non-serious fashion, will probably not hurt the legacy of GN'R.

But again, I care more those fans who will enjoy the songs than GN'R's "legacy".

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Hell yea, put out the alternate artwork, the 6(?) remixes, Going Down, Silkworms, OMG, Atlas and some other new song or 2, and a re-recorded Better with Slash and Duff.

actually what would be very much in same vein as ChiDem. also mostly leaked long before it went onsale, just a couple of tunes was unknown at the week of release. 

and somebody says we are the ones who are trolling :) 

• GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Soul in full on hoity toity mode. Chap needs a good rant about religion; you can always tell as he starts discussing Guns N' Roses.

(This is trolling haha).

Nope. It was neither controversial or potent to incite an emotional response. Discussing the folly of men always makes me feel good.

All of this "could have" "what if" scenarios would not exist....If only Axl would have taken the time to release a solo album in the mid-late 90s. Then maybe he would have gotten the industrial/nu-metal/techno vibe out of his system, and we could have re-entered at least Slash and Duff by the early 00's, and gotten back on track with an actual "Guns n Roses" album.