Poll: Should Guns N' Roses release the remix album this November to coincide with CD's 10th Anniversary?

Make your opinion heard.  

258 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The remix album, honestly, isn't that great in my opinion.  None of the remixes stand out as truly that unique beyond "hey look, we can take CD songs and remix them" at least to my ears

If they would do anything for the 10 year anniversary, personally I would rally for a 2 CD reissue with the 2nd disk having outakes like Silkworms, the new Oh My God, and maybe a couple of tunes like Atlas and The General.  I think that would be a cool package, if they went "hey here is the album along with a few other songs from that era".  That is the only way I can imagine it really working, and even then the whole CD era is outdated now that Slash and Duff are back

Edited by WhazUp

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think releasing a remix album makes GN'R less of a laughing stock than they are today, at least not if it is done correctly (i.e not hyping it up to be anything it isn't). What makes GN'R a laughing stock is partly the inability to release music. Releasing a fun little remix album which has already been made, especially if it is free, to please the fans in a non-serious fashion, will probably not hurt the legacy of GN'R.

But again, I care more those fans who will enjoy the songs than GN'R's "legacy".

Yeah, I get your point of view. Just wanted to make it clear why people who hope that it won't be released aren't necessarily selfish in their hopes.

Personally I think GNR is currently a more respected band than it's been in ages. Sure, we hardcore fans laugh at the bands inability to release new music. The general public on the other hand sees the band as a great classic rock band that isn't even expected to release new material. So the way I see it, a weird remix album can only hurt the bands image, unless the final version is MUCH better than the leaked demos would suggest. CD2 with Slash' and Duff's input on the other hand would be a whole different story. Great music from a classic band that nobody expected to release any more music could be very well received.

But yeah, in the end it's a question of what matters more, the bands legacy or some random fans who might enjoy the remix album.

• Like 1

Quite obvious.

1. Remixes are mostly suck.
2. CD is not a widespread acclaimed album just to get hyped from the re-release.
3. Instead of remix, for them is better think to about of a new live release or a brand new album or even a "Lies" remaster.   

Edited by nikothebellic

Special edition CD re-release with live versions from NITL tour, as well as remixes as bonus. Remixes in my view should not be the main release... I'd personally say that re-releasing CD is a bit of a waste though. For obvious and we'll documented reasons. But! If Axl is intent on releasing it, get it out of the way now so gnr can move on to something else. 

Edited by Tom2112

9 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

I'd be all over it, but they cant release anything at this time without Slash and Duff being on it. 

They could, if they marketed it right, or if it coincided with a NITL blu-ray, or new Best Of with a completely new song or two.

But either way it'd nice to 'close the book' on the CD-era for good. They could re-release the album with a bonus disc with remixes, songs that were 'supposed to' be on CD (Atlas, Silkworms, OMG) and stuff like Going Down with Axl on lead vocals, CITR with Brian May, maybe a cleaned-up soundboard recording of Sailing...

*steps back into reality*

i dont really have any interest in CD remixes whatsoever... going down was kinda cool and the accoustic better was ok but id much rather hear slashs take on it instead of ashbas or bumbles... any unheard or unrealesed NEW tracks from 2009 to 2014 could be fun but tbh id prefer an official unwanted illusions album any day of the week

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, I am different. I don't are about "brands." I care about products that I like, regardless of what "brands" they come from.

While that is cool and all, to ignore the business end of this specific remix project, would be nonsensical considering the fact that it is the music "business" for a reason 

I just can't see how releasing half-baked remixes off an album that didn't commercially live up to the hype it had pre-release, featuring mostly members that haven't been in the band in years, is a logical next step for the band.  

So to me, not with "would I want GNR to release the remix album" but it being "should they", to me the answer is a definitive no.

Edited by WhazUp

25 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

While that is cool and all, to ignore the business end of this specific remix project, would be nonsensical considering the fact that it is the music "business" for a reason 

I just can't see how releasing half-baked remixes off an album that didn't commercially live up to the hype it had pre-release, featuring mostly members that haven't been in the band in years, is a logical next step for the band.  

So to me, not with "would I want GNR to release the remix album" but it being "should they", to me the answer is a definitive no.

To me, the answer to that question would be, "yes, they should", and if asked to elaborate, "yes, and do it properly", and if asked what that means, I'd say, "Just release it online on a pay-what-you-want, do some interviews where it is clear this is just to rid your hands of some old material for a pure "just for fun project". It is not meant as a proper album. Say it is to honor the musicians who spent time on it and that it might be fun to hear for some fans. That it is not to be taken too seriously." Basically, take a note from how the marketed Lies back in 1988.

People argue that releasing the remix album would stain the legacy of GN'R. Not if it is done correctly. People don't think little of GN'R because they released shitty music. People think little of GN'R for oh so many other reasons. For the delays, for the ridiculous CD saga, for the caricature it has become, for Axl's voice, for Slash's tophat, for the childish image, for the excesses, for Axl's behavior, for the riots, for the drama, and so many other reasons. If you ask someone why they don't like GN'R, very few of them will say, "Because the released The Spaghetti Incident", but will probably say "I simply don't like that kind of music", or name any of the reasons above. Releasing a remix album, done correctly, might actually make some people like the band more, or at least recognize it as a band that is still producing, and not just a legacy act. 

• Like 1

My guess is the remix album would  also have legit CD II songs and Alt versions of CD songs and even songs like Atlas might have a Slash solo etc. Then maybe even a new Axl/Slash/Duff song. 

The remix album could be like U2’s Zooropa, a kind of hold over to the back to basics / return to form album like All That You Can’t Leave Behind or Death Magnetic. 

But given the state of the industrysuch indulgences probably aren’t tolerated. A remix album is a 90s thing, like NIN did them, so it could’ve come out with CD 2 in2010 or something. Maybe be on the CD re-release in 2038. 

UYI remaster re-release is probably the most likely. YCBM re-release in time for T7. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, default_ said:

A CD boxset could be interesting, containing unreleased material, demos and stuff. Id love to see a documentary on the Chinese Democracy production. 

I don't know why Axl doesn't do this. Just release and call it a clean slate and the CD/GNR part of the bands history is completed. If they choose to do a new album at least any old music has been released so the band has clean slate.

1 hour ago, wasted said:

My guess is the remix album would  also have legit CD II songs and Alt versions of CD songs and even songs like Atlas might have a Slash solo etc. Then maybe even a new Axl/Slash/Duff song. 

The remix album could be like U2’s Zooropa, a kind of hold over to the back to basics / return to form album like All That You Can’t Leave Behind or Death Magnetic. 

But given the state of the industrysuch indulgences probably aren’t tolerated. 

UYI remaster re-release is probably the most likely. YCBM re-release in time for T7. 

I really wonder if the band would do something like that as part of the new terminator movie for release next year.