Why the hell didn't they release the song "Checkmate" ?

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I can't remember how long the clip I heard of Checkmate was but I never thought it was anything special. 

very short. and nothing special. no more than a stocking filler. it has never been anywhere near that "A" list 

• Like 1

I think it's because CD is so ballad driven that any sort of potentially mean, punky rocker type song is like water in the desert. I'm not saying I hate ballads. I'm not one of those people. But if I had it my way, Maddy, TWAT, and Prostitute would be the only ballads on the record (Catcher would be a B-Side and TIL would be a standalone single). 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, default_ said:

I dont think its anything special either. I believe people fantasize it is a great "rocker" because its a guitar driven song but from the leaked clip it sound as bland as a SMKC song to me. 

Totally agree. I also don't understand how anyone can say it's awesome or whatever with how little we've heard of it. 

I'm always up for hearing more / new music from Guns so of course I'd like to hear the whole thing. However, nothing I heard in the short clip made me think it would be an awesome song or anything. 

21 hours ago, default_ said:

I dont think its anything special either. I believe people fantasize it is a great "rocker" because its a guitar driven song but from the leaked clip it sound as bland as a SMKC song to me. 

I liked the checkmate leak because it sounds like a straight-foward old fashion rock song - ala Yesterdays. It doesn't sound layered to death or like there are 38 different instrument parts on it.

But music is 100% personal preference. We all like/love/dislike different things/sounds. What one person loves, another will hate. And that's OK. All that really matters is what the person listening thinks.

• Like 3