Slash - "I have several song ideas for new Guns material" source: Sweden Rock Magazine

betterman

52 minutes ago, betterman said:

I think that one of the problems ahead is the vocals of Axl. He will not match the vocals recorded 10+ years ago and it will not be a cohesive record if you can hear the change of voice (quality) from one song to another.

He can of course rerecord all the old vocal-tracks but I highly doubt he is willing to do that. :/

What makes you think that Axl sings those CD2 songs any different compared to CD1 songs. I think there's reason to believe that his CD2 vocals are mostly just as clean as his CD1 vocals were. And Axl has no trouble singing clean vocals. Especially not in the studio. So I don't see the problem here.

Edited by Lies They Tell

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm more interested in this bit of information than any other news related to gnr albums in the last almost ten years since CD. I think Slash is a much more clued in and powerful member than Fortus or Dizzy so when talks about having material waiting and a real desire to make a new gnr record - it holds water. When? Who knows! 🤣

Didn't help in 94.

It boils down to Axl. Always will. Has he changed from his notion of having players try to fulfill his ever-shifting vision or is he back to giving and taking like the golden years.

Myself, I think he works better within the constraints of what he's given. Being forced to come up with lyrics to songs formed without him gave us stuff like Coma and Locomotive. Some creative people work best within a defined framework. Axl definitely seems like one of those people.

I remember in an interview Brain mentioning that Buckethead was annoyed with Rose for (legally) possessing some of Bucket's musical ideas which Rose had (as we well know) not then gone on to release, and which Buckethead wanted to utilise on his solo albums.

• Like 2

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I remember in an interview Brain mentioning that Buckethead was annoyed with Rose for (legally) possessing some of Bucket's musical ideas which Rose had (as we well know) not then gone on to release, and which Buckethead wanted to utilise on his solo albums.

That's what I'm thinking. I wish Slash just don't give the rights to Axl. Otherwise they might never see light of day...

29 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He should be annoyed at himself, if he's annoyed at anyone. I'm sure if he or his manager or lawyer read the contract stipulations, it would have clearly laid out that, any and all material written under gnr time, was owned by GNR. Yeah, Axl could have said "here you go, I have no intention of using this material" but, maybe Axl did or does want to do something with that material. Sometimes it takes artists years and years to finish a song, some times it takes 10 minutes.

38 minutes ago, newusedillusion said:

Didn't help in 94.

It boils down to Axl. Always will. Has he changed from his notion of having players try to fulfill his ever-shifting vision or is he back to giving and taking like the golden years.

Myself, I think he works better within the constraints of what he's given. Being forced to come up with lyrics to songs formed without him gave us stuff like Coma and Locomotive. Some creative people work best within a defined framework. Axl definitely seems like one of those people.

Yeh, I know, but '94 was a completely different time. Axl was in a completely different mindset and so was Slash. Right now both guys seem to be on the same page, so let's wait and see. Slash is busy for the next while. I think AB are off until May, at which point Myles will be unavailable... so my best guess is that once Slash gets off tour around then he'll either have managed to convince the guns camp to record, or he moves on with Conspirators next album. He has a lot of time to convince people (if convincing is necessary), I can only imagine that he'll have mentioned to Axl and Duff, just how often he gets the question of "when is the new gnr music coming" so, they all know there's at least an expectation. 

Poor auld Slash must have thought "yes, I'm finally back in GNR! no more 'will you do a gnr reunion questions' not-ah! Slash now it's "when will you make new Guns music" cut and paste, every interview :D SO, make nice and make it happen.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Well the new single is very bad.

Slash releases music ten times worse now than in 1995. I tend to think his music gets more bland and generic as time goes by.

I feel hopeless when he says he has riffs for Guns N' Roses.

Where are the memorable guitar solos ?

I've only listened to a little bit of both singles but yeah, they just sounded like generic rock to me. 

• Like 2

I believe Slash is doing this new "easy listen" rock now on purpose to attract casual and younger generations, he probably saw the audience for real hard rock were getting smaller and smaller even in 2000 during the ALG tour and tought he was in a dead end, then decided to change the approach to a younger generation. We might not be the best SMKC fans in town but theres no deying he seems to have found some stability with this project. 

Slash is a smart guy, he knows exactly what he is doing and I believe its possible he kept the hardest, deepest and most complex ideas to Guns. 

But theres always the chance he just lost it. 

Slash, Duff, and Axl are fully aware of the interest in new Guns N' Roses music. They spent 2+ years circling the globe in an effort to re-introduce themselves to the old fans, and made a lot of new, younger fans in the process. It helps that the tour was nearly perfect, from Axl's punctuality, to Slash elevating his guitar playing to levels never seen before live, thanks to being off drugs and booze. The band really could not have set themselves up any better to release new material.

Ever the optimist, I honestly think GN'R could slip in a new song or two in this final leg of shows in November. This would leave the fans hungry for a full album, which I think could be completed by the end of 2019, if the big three continue to get along, and schedules allow it. I think they realize they can't wait too long, because then all the momentum built up from the tour will end up fading away, and it'll be back to just hard core fans asking for new music.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, t-p-d-a said:

this is nothin new... Slash has always new stuff since 1993 but the problem is Axl.

yes and the other problem is that axl and slash are not that good at actually writing songs

check their solo efforts and you get a lot of good ideas (sometimes great ones) lost in mostly bad, average, poor songs

20 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Slash, Duff, and Axl are fully aware of the interest in new Guns N' Roses music. They spent 2+ years circling the globe in an effort to re-introduce themselves to the old fans, and made a lot of new, younger fans in the process. It helps that the tour was nearly perfect, from Axl's punctuality, to Slash elevating his guitar playing to levels never seen before live, thanks to being off drugs and booze. The band really could not have set themselves up any better to release new material.

Ever the optimist, I honestly think GN'R could slip in a new song or two in this final leg of shows in November. This would leave the fans hungry for a full album, which I think could be completed by the end of 2019, if the big three continue to get along, and schedules allow it. I think they realize they can't wait too long, because then all the momentum built up from the tour will end up fading away, and it'll be back to just hard core fans asking for new music.

Slash, Duff, and Axl don't seem to care about the huge interest in new Guns N' Roses music.

They spent 2-plus years doing a nonsensical fake Guns n' Roses reunion tour without playing one note of new music and yet they were able to make zillions of dollars in the process.

That basically proved to them that 1) they really don't need to do a GN'R reunion, a fake reunion is more than good enough to please the "fans"; and 2) they really don't need to do any new music at all, they can play GN'R relatively small catalogue forever on loop and there will be always "old" and "new" "fans" willing to pay top dollar to watch (Fernando, the guy who knows how clueless we all are, is counting on that).

Of course some little adjustments had to be made in order for that to work. Axl doesn't have the best voice (nor the best delivery) in the business anymore, so he can not shit on people like he used to do. No one is going to put up with his delay bullshit in trade for Mickey, so he had to adjust and respect the audience (and his lootmates) this time.

Slash is not the same also. The player who could do no wrong has lost more than a share of his melodic sense and turned himself into somewhat of a high-skilled noodler in levels never seen before -- some say that that that is thanks to being off drugs and booze. But, hey, no one really noticed because Slash is a good sport and played most of the solos close enough to the originals.

The lunatics can dream about the day that Axl and Slash will both look in the mirror and realise how much of a parody of their former selves they became. Get truly disgusted about it, decide to cut the crap, fire the aliens and reunite Guns n' Roses. Call Izzy and Steven. Write an album in two weeks. Release it. Tour it.

No need to worry about "re-introducing themselves to old fans"

No need to worry about "making new, younger fans"

No need to worry about "leaving the fans hungry"

No need to worry about "schedules allowing"

No need to worry about "momentum"

Just fucking get out of the golden stupor and do it

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, default_ said:

I believe Slash is doing this new "easy listen" rock now on purpose to attract casual and younger generations, he probably saw the audience for real hard rock were getting smaller and smaller even in 2000 during the ALG tour and tought he was in a dead end, then decided to change the approach to a younger generation. We might not be the best SMKC fans in town but theres no deying he seems to have found some stability with this project. 

Slash is a smart guy, he knows exactly what he is doing and I believe its possible he kept the hardest, deepest and most complex ideas to Guns. 

you have a good point

oh fuck let me tell you it is very hard to listen to Slash's "easy listen" crap

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, default_ said:

Nah, wait and listen to the album. I guarantee that there's going to be a few hard edged rock songs, in the vein of Too far gone, You're a lie, Avalon etc.

• Like 3

Bon Jovi is a legit FM easy listening band nowadays. Slashs music is not comparable to that shit IMO. Yes there's some more poppy choruses than his earlier works, but still not THAT different to his style from GNR. He's also writing with Myles voice in mind which works very well with it (The Dissident for example)

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

yes and the other problem is that axl and slash are not that good at actually writing songs

check their solo efforts and you get a lot of good ideas (sometimes great ones) lost in mostly bad, average, poor songs

No Izzy Stradlin' to write and arrange their stuff. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

Well the new single is very bad.

Slash releases music ten times worse now than in 1995. I tend to think his music gets more bland and generic as time goes by.

I feel hopeless when he says he has riffs for Guns N' Roses.

Where are the memorable guitar solos ?

The well is truly exhausted with Saul. Ditto with Axl. I don't think they have anything left in the tank and I hope to god they don't start an album from scratch just because people are clamoring for new music. We don't need another TSI or another uninspired Slash album w/ Axl vocals.

The question is, how much of the mid-90's "prime era" material written for GnR has been recycled by Slash for his glut of albums? How much of the Izzy material they had in the 90's was repurposed for his run of solo albums? What unused material is actually left in the vault from the 90's? And I'm even including Axl's briefly productive period from '99-00 when most of the chinese demos were created - the final gasps of creativity from the redhead.

There is a "lost" GnR album from 1995/1996 that is buried in the vault. That's the last real GnR material imho and the only stuff that stands a chance of living up to the previous albums. 

Edited by RONIN
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1