Slash - "I have several song ideas for new Guns material" source: Sweden Rock Magazine

betterman

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

GNR - "We need to in the studio Izzy!"

Izzy - "I'll do it but I don't want to be responsible for recording costs and I want 100% of the profits."

GNR fans - "They fucked Izzy!"

People are so sure that Izzy was screwed over without knowing what the offer was or his demands. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Is there really though? Would love to see how much a big artist actually gets from streaming these days. Sure they will get big money if it has a hit single but not sure the 'album' would generate a large amount.

Highlighted above, I have never heard this before - can anyone else verify this to be true?

It's true. And anything GnR puts out that is new would sell well anyways so he would get a lot of royalties off of that.

10 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

It's true. And anything GnR puts out that is new would sell well anyways so he would get a lot of royalties off of that.

Fair, but I guess my point is more about live royalties? Surely Izzy doesn't receive royalties from GNR live shows now?

31 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

Fair, but I guess my point is more about live royalties? Surely Izzy doesn't receive royalties from GNR live shows now?

As far as I'm aware, no, unless it's for a live album or DVD. Then I think he'd get royalties for any songs he had a part in on the live album/DVD.

You don't need to pay royalties to another artist for playing their songs, otherwise cover bands would have a hard time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MildlyArtistic said:

As far as I'm aware, no, unless it's for a live album or DVD. Then I think he'd get royalties for any songs he had a part in on the live album/DVD.

You don't need to pay royalties to another artist for playing their songs, otherwise cover bands would have a hard time.

What of CD2 songs like Atlas and The General? If Slash and Duff look at re-recording some of Axl's material, which has been rumoured in the past and alluded to by Slash in a recent interview, how would the royalties work then?  

Edited by Live Like a Suicide

1 hour ago, MildlyArtistic said:

Local cover bands no, but big artists like GnR have to have an arrangement with ASCAP, BMI, etc who will then distribute the royalties to the respective artists. It's similar to the kind of license nightclubs and places like that have to have in order for the DJs to legally play music in the club. For example, I worked a The Band Perry show several years ago (modern country act for those of you who don't know) and one of their guitarists told me that they have to submit their setlist to ASCAP etc from each night because they had a couple covers worked into the show. Those companies would then take care of the specific royalties. These are called performance royalties btw. 

21 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

What of CD2 songs like Atlas and The General? If Slash and Duff look at re-recording some of Axl's material, which has been rumoured in the past and alluded to by Slash in a recent interview, how would the royalties work then?  

Depends on who is credited where as a songwriter and as performers.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, RussTCB said:

"Looking very seriously in that regard" led to roughly 7 years of absolutely nothing from the band. So yeah, I have to agree. Being downgraded to "we'll see what happens" somehow gives less hope than I had before, which was none. 

2016 really did a number on you Russ, didn't it?

• Haha 1

Slash says, "Axl’s got a ton of shit that he recorded already" and that he & Duff could contribute to, but how much of that material is actually Axl, creatively speaking? Wouldn't it weird be if they were to rework songs written by Stinson or Pitman? Maybe not... After all, we already have a Rose/Huge track performed by the (almost) classic line-up.

11 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

So would, let's say an album is actually confirmed to be in the works hypothetically, this album have more pressure following it than Chinese Democracy?

Perhaps a different kind of pressure. The expectations for Chinese Democracy were built so high that it became an almost-mythological record which many thought would never see the light of day. A new album, on the other hand with Slash and Duff will obviously have high expectations, but i don't think it would be comparable to Chinese Democracy's situation.

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:09 AM, MaskingApathy said:

Local cover bands no, but big artists like GnR have to have an arrangement with ASCAP, BMI, etc who will then distribute the royalties to the respective artists. It's similar to the kind of license nightclubs and places like that have to have in order for the DJs to legally play music in the club. For example, I worked a The Band Perry show several years ago (modern country act for those of you who don't know) and one of their guitarists told me that they have to submit their setlist to ASCAP etc from each night because they had a couple covers worked into the show. Those companies would then take care of the specific royalties. These are called performance royalties btw. 

Depends on who is credited where as a songwriter and as performers.

Just to add to this, this is from the ASCAP website:

We survey the top-grossing 300 tours and concerts each year, collect set lists from both headliners and opening acts, and pay out the ASCAP writers of every song that was performed – even if it's a cover song. In addition to that, ASCAP members at any stage of their career can submit set lists from live performances through our ASCAP OnStage program. No matter how big or small the venue or where in the country it's located, if we license it, then you can get paid by ASCAP when you perform there. We also conduct a separate sample survey of live performances at concert halls and educational institutions. You can find more information about live performance payments on our website.

4 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

Perhaps a different kind of pressure. The expectations for Chinese Democracy were built so high that it became an almost-mythological record which many thought would never see the light of day. A new album, on the other hand with Slash and Duff will obviously have high expectations, but i don't think it would be comparable to Chinese Democracy's situation.

Maybe not comparable, although this feels about the same as 1999 must've felt before the leaks... Rumors of potential ideas, but nothing yet. Either way, I think the pressure after nearly 25 years without a Slash and GNR record would put huge amounts of weight on this record. Maybe not as much expectations as UYI; but it's gotta be high right? Especially if the original 5 got together or even the UYI lineup (not saying that's gonna happen)

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Maybe not comparable, although this feels about the same as 1999 must've felt before the leaks... Rumors of potential ideas, but nothing yet. Either way, I think the pressure after nearly 25 years without a Slash and GNR record would put huge amounts of weight on this record. Maybe not as much expectations as UYI; but it's gotta be high right? Especially if the original 5 got together or even the UYI lineup (not saying that's gonna happen)

Difference is they can actually live up to the pressure and expectations this time.

• Like 1

Slash and Duff will write killer new jams to go with AXL'S already recorded vox, The generic riffs written by the other posers will be scraped , Cant wait to hear AXL'S vox from 1997-2006 on new SLASH riffs , gonna be a killer record 

• GNFNR 1

• 4 weeks later...

If Im not mistaken Slash at first mentioned Axls material along side his, but in recent interviews talks mainly about his own riffs for Guns. Id love to hear it all.

Slash also talks sometimes about how Axl 'has a way to sing AC/DC with out blowing his voice out.'

Since we all have observed that Axl has better and more consistent rasp in DC I wonder if Slash and co will be fashioning music in a similar manner as DC, with shorter bursts of vocals. Less melodic and more groove oriented vocal lines?

Just now, soon said:

If Im not mistaken Slash at first mentioned Axls material along side his, but in recent interviews talks mainly about his own riffs for Guns. Id love to hear it all.

Slash also talks sometimes about how Axl 'has a way to sing AC/DC with out blowing his voice out.'

Since we all have observed that Axl has better and more consistent rasp in DC I wonder if Slash and co will be fashioning music in a similar manner as DC, with shorter bursts of vocals. Less melodic and more groove oriented vocal lines?

I think it's less about which tunes Axl is singing, ac/dc or Guns, and is more about actually preparing for the gigs. Axl showed with ac/dc that if he actually rehearses the tunes properly, he can still sing with great power and overall be more consistent.

It seems like he's just not interested in practicing Guns songs before a tour. AC/DC was enough of a big deal for him to go out of his way to make sure his performances will be great. He can do the same with Guns tunes imo, but he's content with the quality of his singing in Gn'R.

Edited by Rovim