Mass Shooting at Madden 19 Tournament in Jacksonville

BlueJean Baby

Multiple fatalities' after shooting rampage at Madden tourney at Jacksonville Landing

JOHN BACON | USA TODAY | 2 hours ago

A SWAT team was sweeping through Jacksonville's scenic riverfront Sunday after a shooting rampage during a Madden 19 video game tourney left multiple people dead and others wounded, authorities in the Florida city said.

"Mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing. Stay far away from the area. The area is not safe at this time. STAY AWAY," the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said in a tweet.

The sheriff's office said there were "multiple fatalities" and that many other victims were transported to hospitals. One suspect was dead at the scene, and it was unknown whether there was a second shooter, the sheriff's office said. A search was underway.

Multiple media outlets, including WJXT-TV, said four people were dead and several more wounded at the GLHF Game Bar. Authorities urged people hiding in the area call 911 so police can get them out.

"We are finding many people hiding in locked areas at The Landing," the sheriff's office said. "We ask you to stay calm, stay where you are hiding. SWAT is doing a methodical search inside The Landing. We will get to you. Please don’t come running out."

A live feed from the tournament was underway when the shooting took place, and the audio feed was interrupted by the sound of several gunshots.

Gov. Rick Scott said he had promised Mayor Lenny Curry and other officials in Jacksonville any state support they might need. 

Jacksonville is about 300 miles north of Parkland, where a gunman killed 17 people in a rampage at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School on Valentine's Day. Sen. Bill Nelson issued a statement after Sunday's shooting saying "Word of another tragic mass shooting in our state brings shock and outrage."

Ryan Alemon said he was in the bar when at least one gunman opened fire.

"Everyone was running, they were dropping because they were getting shot," Alemon told CNN. "I heard yelling, I heard 'Help me, I'm shot.'"

Alemon said he hid in bathroom for about 10 minutes before fleeing the bar when he was certain the shooting was over. 

"I am still in shock," he said.

Video game giant Electronic Arts issued a statement saying it was "aware of an incident at a sanctioned Madden Championship Series competition in Jacksonville. We are working with authorities to gather facts at this stage."

Complexity Gaming, a professional gaming team that had a player participating in the event at the GLHF Game Bar, said on Twitter participant Grini Gjoka was grazed in the hand but was "away from the scene and safe."

Gjoka tweeted that he was hit in the thumb when the tournament "got shot up."

"Worst day of my life," Gjoka said. "I will never take anything for granted ever again. Life can be cut short in a second."

The Jacksonville Landing is an entertainment complex along the St. Johns River. The area includes waterfront restaurants and an indoor shopping mall. The GLHF Game Bar – GLHF stands for good luck, have fun – bills itself online as "Jacksonville's home for gamers and nerds alike." 

The shooting took place less than two days after a gunfire at a high school football game a few miles away, which left one person dead and two wounded

• Sad 3

Do we copy and paste the same shit from the last American public shooting thread?

There's actually not even any point in debating it. The chances of any political or social action which will have any impact whatsoever on reducing the number of these incidents is zero under the current US administration.

Every beautiful, unique life, every bond of love, every set of hopes and dreams undeservedly snuffed out for absolutely no reason whatsoever may as well be worth nothing.

It doesn't have to be this way, it's not this way in any other liberal democracy. But it will continue to be this way. Nothing to talk about here that we haven't talked about before.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Another lone white man. Probably had a mental illness. I am sure nothing will be done about this.

When there is no background check, no wating period and no psychiatrict test. A tragic event like this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Conervatives only care when a lone illegal immigrant with mental problems kills a girl in Iowa.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Padme said:

When there is no background check, no wating period and no psychiatrict test. A tragic event like this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Conervatives only care when a lone illegal immigrant with mental problems kills a girl in Iowa.

Hey, in all fairness you know they’d be beside themselves if a black man killed a white girl as well.

The important thing here is to realize that guns aren't the problem. Really! They're not! 

I bet it's one of those loners. For some strange reason there are a LOT of those. Even though they are all isolated incidents. 

Edited by username

10 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

David Katz is a jewish name though.

Shit, he's Jewish?  Oh he's fucked.  He's gonna get the fuckin' Alex Jones info wars craggy jew claw creeps across the globe controlling the banks and pulling the strings treatment at some point, watch. In the eyes of your proper racist the only thing worse than being a darkie is being a jew.   Cuz darkies are just thick, athletic but thick whereas jews, though often physically feeble are mentally all there so they should know better, the jew is the devious sole controller of the globe :lol:  muslims are getting close to matching up but jews are still ahead of the curve on the racist shitbags totem pole of importance.  

Oh David, what did you do?  That was really goyish of him!

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Shit, he's Jewish?  Oh he's fucked.  He's gonna get the fuckin' Alex Jones info wars craggy jew claw creeps across the globe controlling the banks and pulling the strings treatment at some point, watch. In the eyes of your proper racist the only thing worse than being a darkie is being a jew.   Cuz darkies are just thick, athletic but thick whereas jews, though often physically feeble are mentally all there so they should know better, the jew is the devious sole controller of the globe :lol:  muslims are getting close to matching up but jews are still ahead of the curve on the racist shitbags totem pole of importance.  

Oh David, what did you do?  That was really goyish of him!

We’re not all feeble! Drake could kick your ass 😂

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm  not sayin' this, the racists are sayin' this :lol:  And honestly, the illustrious history of Jewish boxers and gangsters and you go with Drake :lol: 

I was going for a cheap laugh and/or being self loathing, two of our other specialties 

Edited by Angelica

14 hours ago, Graeme said:

Do we copy and paste the same shit from the last American public shooting thread?

There's actually not even any point in debating it. The chances of any political or social action which will have any impact whatsoever on reducing the number of these incidents is zero under the current US administration.

Every beautiful, unique life, every bond of love, every set of hopes and dreams undeservedly snuffed out for absolutely no reason whatsoever may as well be worth nothing.

It doesn't have to be this way, it's not this way in any other liberal democracy. But it will continue to be this way. Nothing to talk about here that we haven't talked about before.

The last few highly publicized mass shootings have been Canadian..last I checked, they had pretty stringent gun laws up there...so you're mistaken when saying "It's not this way in any other liberal democracy".... And check out London's murders this year while you're at it...and most of those aren't even gun related.

Edited by Kasanova King

I read where the gunman had paid the $5000 entry and was upset he was seeded 7th feeling he was a far better player. It's fortunate more weren't killed. The same article said a fire dept was practicing nearby and they rushed there with the sounds of the first gunfires and tended to those that were hit being able to stop the bleeding etc.  

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Unbelievable.

How are we at this point??

I don't know.  I think it has to do with how protected kids are. Competition is frowned upon and every one gets a trophy. Life isn't like that and there's an adjustment when Johnny realizes he really isn't as good as Billy. Johnny only has to realize that if he's dedicated and works hard he may one day be better than Billy but only if Billy doesn't work too. But Johnny has to understand that even if he's never as good as Billy he's a heck of a lot better because he's worked hard. Kids aren't taught this today. 

30 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

The last few highly publicized mass shootings have been Canadian..last I checked, they had pretty stringent gun laws up there...so you're mistaken when saying "It's not this way in any other liberal democracy".... And check out London's murders this year as well, while you're at it...and most of those aren't even gun related.

Actually, we do not have stringent gun laws in Canada. Just not foolish, inhumane, dangerous crap like open carry and 'stand your ground.' Laws representing a gun fetish that isnt really a thing here, either.

Just now, Kwick1 said:

I don't know.  I think it has to do with how protected kids are. Competition is frowned upon and every one gets a trophy. Life isn't like that and there's an adjustment when Johnny realizes he really isn't as good as Billy. Johnny only has to realize that if he's dedicated and works hard he may one day be better than Billy but only if Billy doesn't work too. But Johnny has to understand that even if he's never as good as Billy he's a heck of a lot better because he's worked hard. Kids aren't taught this today. 

I agree there. I have a 12 year old and I'm constantly reminding him that hard work is the only thing that leads to rewards. 

I have several friends with kids who shield them from everything. I only have one friend that I can think of who raises their kids in a similar fashion to the way I do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, soon said:

Actually, we do not have stringent gun laws in Canada. Just not foolish, inhumane, dangerous crap like open carry and 'stand your ground.' Laws representing a gun fetish that isnt really a thing here, either.

Much more stringent than the U.S.....and that's (more or less) the type of laws Liberals want implemented here in the U.S.  And the point is that although they could make a difference, stricter gun laws aren't necessarily the solution....or at least not entirely.