Do people still like Rockers?

Of course the most of us like rockers, we’re on a Guns N’ Roses forum. However the general public? Not a big amount truly listens to them anymore. It’s about rap music for the teenagers these days. (God damn I just made myself sound like a 80 year old man)

Edited by AxlRoseCDII
  • Like 1

I still like an album that rocks hard. hard rock is not a part of the mainstream anymore though. I think part of the charm of the old line up was the diversity of the material but it always still was gn'r when slash and duff were in the band even if it was november rain or scom. it kept it's identity while still being great when it was ballads. don't cry was like an origin tune for this band so it's not like they were ever the ac/dc type band.

this is why I agree with what axl said about not really thinking about it in those terms (rock tunes and ballads)

so it depends what kind of album they want to do. the focus with chinese was to concentrate more on the "beautiful" part of it as axl said. perhaps with a potential new guns album slash and duff will make all of it rock harder in general but it will be balanced with the more grand thing axl seems to be into.

my guess is piano ballads and mellisa doing her thing is inevitable but there are many ways to strike a good balance on an album. personally I prefer that at least half of it rocks hard with great  riffs cause it's slash in gn'r. if it's a double they can go more hog wild. kinda like Queen in a way.

Edited by Rovim

18 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

As a Guns fan, the rockers have always been my favourite songs. Of course I really like the ballads too, but I prefer them to be 1 or 2 to an album. I never liked CD due to the lack of real rockers on that album.

However, I've seen a lot of evidence on this forum to suggest that I'm in a minority. 

SMKC have a bunch of cool rock songs, some bad songs as well. I understand people hate Myles and that's ok, but the music is very quickly dismissed as generic rock.

Contraband is also a cool rock album. I see a lot of negativity towards that album.

I also picked up on a lot of people saying the band shouldn't do an AFD 2.0 and it would suck if they did. 

Finally, I see ACDC get a lot of grief on here for releasing a similar style of music over the years. 

The question is, after so many years of rock music, is it possible to write a rock song that's not instantly dismissed as generic? 

Do people still want a good old riff driven song with a cool solo? 

Would you prefer a much higher ratio of ballads/experimental type stuff? 

I'd personally like Guns to strip down again. No dizzy or Melissa in the studio. Just a 5 piece writing some guitar driven, high tempo rock songs. Maybe something acoustic as well.

Well considering how much acceptance Shadow of your love got all around d the world, no. People will always live the rockers.

You're mixing up poor, run of the mill rock songs (Seether etc) with legitimate well written songs. 

Also, sorry but Dizzy ain't going anywhere and I'd guess the same goes for Melissa... In the studio or in a live context.

Nirvana was the end of rock IMHO. Yes, there have been good and highly successful rock acts since, including Foo Fighters, but ultimately Nirvana killed rock.

Beyond that, nothing in the genre can compare with what the likes of Kendrick Lamar are offering the youth of today. Even pop acts do it better. There’s nothing to excite any more, no edge. It’s all nostalgia and recycling.

That's why GNR, Metallica and Iron Maiden will continue to headline rock festivals until they retire. There are no 20-somethings out there doing it better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stress Fracture said:

Nirvana was the end of rock IMHO. Yes, there have been good and highly successful rock acts since, including Foo Fighters, but ultimately Nirvana killed rock.

Beyond that, nothing in the genre can compare with what the likes of Kendrick Lamar are offering the youth of today. Even pop acts do it better. There’s nothing to excite any more, no edge. It’s all nostalgia and recycling.

That's why GNR, Metallica and Iron Maiden will continue to headline rock festivals until they retire. There are no 20-somethings out there doing it better.

Oh, I don't know. I think it was an accumulation of things. GNR breaking up, the big acts with their dead frontmen, but I'd say the biggest factor then and to a large degree since is the forge had cooled down, so to speak. The 70s and 80s, they had a lot of anger going on which gave us that boom in rock. We could maybe see that again, but I doubt it because of the expansion of the music industry. You don't need to work your ass off in that same make it or starve to death way. You can just put it on soundcloud or youtube.

One reason why rock music is so "dead" now is because it doesn't have a direction to go to anymore. Since the start of rock music, it's always been a genre that young people listened to and their parents didn't understand. The suggestive dance moves of Elvis shocked audiences everywhere and from there on rock music just became gradually heavier and heavier more and more shocking. But then it reached the point where it couldn't get any heavier and it couldn't get any louder. So rock music lost it's direction. Some bands like Radiohead started to take rock music to a more experimental direction. Some bands like The White Stripes tried to bring back garage rock, but when rock music couldn't get any more shocking, it kinda lost a big part of it's purpose.  People in general want something new so rock will never be mainstream again if every rock band only tries to replicate what old bands did. Besides kids don't want to listen to the same kind of music that their parents listen to. You can't shock your parents with rock music anymore, so kids listen to rap or edm or what ever their parents don't listen to. At some point rap and edm will die and something new will replace it. Will rock music ever make a comeback? Probably in some form. Then it will die again and then it will come back again and die again etc etc etc...

• Like 2

Amongst other genres, Rock, punk, and hip hop is eternal. It changes, comes back and changes again. I see young teens randomly getting into Black Sabbath, Bad Brains, Zeppelin, Twisted Sister, The Prodigy. In an age where access to music and information no longer follows a linear path, I don't think shocking your parents is the goal anymore. In fact it's more a reflection of whether your parents brought you up correctly listening to good music and none of this shitty Justin Bieber, Ariana Grande nonsense! :P

Edited by HellfireBetty
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Forefront? Not really.

As a 21 year old the only band you listed that people talk about is Greta.

I don't know about that. I work with people in their 20s. One guy who is 27 is a big EDM fan and a part-time DJ. A 24 years old woman that sits next to me is a metal and hard rock fan.  It can be different for everyone.

I don't see any genre dominating the way it occurred back in the 80s, 90s, and 00s. I think everyone can now find their own type of music through streaming and YouTube. 

• Like 2

On 26/08/2018 at 7:48 PM, jacdaniel said:

As a Guns fan, the rockers have always been my favourite songs. Of course I really like the ballads too, but I prefer them to be 1 or 2 to an album. I never liked CD due to the lack of real rockers on that album.

However, I've seen a lot of evidence on this forum to suggest that I'm in a minority. 

SMKC have a bunch of cool rock songs, some bad songs as well. I understand people hate Myles and that's ok, but the music is very quickly dismissed as generic rock.

Contraband is also a cool rock album. I see a lot of negativity towards that album.

I also picked up on a lot of people saying the band shouldn't do an AFD 2.0 and it would suck if they did. 

Finally, I see ACDC get a lot of grief on here for releasing a similar style of music over the years. 

The question is, after so many years of rock music, is it possible to write a rock song that's not instantly dismissed as generic? 

Do people still want a good old riff driven song with a cool solo? 

Would you prefer a much higher ratio of ballads/experimental type stuff? 

I'd personally like Guns to strip down again. No dizzy or Melissa in the studio. Just a 5 piece writing some guitar driven, high tempo rock songs. Maybe something acoustic as well.

who wants rockers when you can have gqomers?

• Like 1

A good song is a good song, no matter the style or genre. The problem today is that there's just not enough good songs because society has changed into this pc and compliance zombie bullshit where everyones mincing their words and wants to "fit in". Rock bands cater to form more than to content and songwriters went down the "likeable nice guy/girl" route with whiny or retro-ish hipster bullshit all the way form the UK to Nashville. I can't get excited about say Greta or Ed Sheeran for example, they have nothing to say and they can't sell nothing to me either - but many people think they are awesome. To me they are boring and unoriginal. Their lyrics are empty, the vocals lack edge and personality and the music is generic. Maybe that's a generation thing, I don't know. Mainstream rock music was buried with grunge, casting shows on TV put the final nail in the coffin of real singing and handmade original music and there was very little to reanimate it, it's all just go as "they" say or be retro and nostalgia. That's what I liked about CD, the album dared to explore and even when it failed at least it tried. Most bands/artists dont even try and audiences are very low demand now too. However, there's still plenty of good and original rock music out there, it's just not as popular and remains a niche. It won't change as long as people pay 300 bucks to see the Stones but think twice about spending 20 bucks on an up and coming band just because they are not popular. The labels are missed, instead of the AR and live scene dues gateway now everyone with enough money can buy their way into popularity and the audience just swallows whatever they are spoonfed unreflected. GNR will not save rock, they are old guys with nothing left to say, bending over to pc culture so they can roll into retirement as rich as possible. Rock needs a new punk movement to shine again but for that society would have to change too.

They like rockers but what they really appreciate is anthems.

It can be a pop anthem, a country anthem or a rap anthem. Big hooky chorus, sing-a-long, chants. That's what GN'R did best. To me, it's also the major downfall to Chinese Democracy, the album. No matter what stylistic approach Axl took to his new sound, he really seemed to avoid trying to write any more Anthems. 

It's much harder to get into songs that don't have an accessible chorus, because it's the one thing people really look to in terms of something to hang your hat on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

They like rockers but what they really appreciate is anthems.

It can be a pop anthem, a country anthem or a rap anthem. Big hooky chorus, sing-a-long, chants. That's what GN'R did best. To me, it's also the major downfall to Chinese Democracy, the album. No matter what stylistic approach Axl took to his new sound, he really seemed to avoid trying to write any more Anthems. 

It's much harder to get into songs that don't have an accessible chorus, because it's the one thing people really look to in terms of something to hang your hat on.

Somewhat agree. 

But the latest SMKC song, Driving Rain, is all of those things. Catchy, sing along type chorus. 

The verdict on here was generally that it's a poor, generic song.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Somewhat agree. 

But the latest SMKC song, Driving Rain, is all of those things. Catchy, sing along type chorus. 

The verdict on here was generally that it's a poor, generic song.

One thing that I take issue with in regards to that song is that Myles took some of the lyrics from "Standing in the Sun"  and applied it to this song. That turns me off a bit since it just shows a lack of creativity. 

On 8/27/2018 at 9:53 AM, Tom-Ass said:

But they didn't sound like them to the extent that GVF sounds like Zeppelin. Guns sound nothing like Hanoi Rocks (thank God). The singer of GVF sounds exactly like Plant.. The Harmonies, phrasing and even the lyrics to an extent are a total rip off.  I have only heard a few songs so I can't speak for their entire album. 

You've pretty much heard everything then....I really like GVF as well myself, but they have basically released 2 EP's to this date, with the 2nd EP containing like 3 of the 4 songs from the first EP (Black Smoke Rising-EP and From the Fires-EP) All together, they have less than 10 original songs released to this point...but hey....that's much more original content than GnR has put over the last 10 years. 

I will be happy with a new, full length GVF album, as well as a new, full length GnR album, no matter what the majority of the content is. 

On 8/26/2018 at 4:02 PM, Len Cnut said:

In general terms people don't like rock music full stop.  It was overtaken long ago by hip hop as the dominant music of popular culture.  Rocks in a nostalgia phase now more than anything, older people, essentially a gradually diminishing audience, are the ones listening to it predominantly.  Pop cultures a reasonably young thing, only 60 to 70 years old so it'll be interesting to see where rock music goes, whether it was just be left in history or whether there'll be a revival of some sort.  If there is a revival it will be very different than the sorts of revivals it had before now, through punk and grunge and such, chiefly because the next one will be so far removed from the last one.

I don't see it myself, everything has a space and a time in history and when its gone its gone.  And I'm comfortable with that quite honestly.

People listen to a little bit of everything nowadays. The music business as it existed in the 80s and 90s is dead. There is no one dominant genre of music anymore. There are no real music scenes, either, the way there was in the 80s and 90s and 60s and 70s. It's not rock that is dead, it's music in general as a social and cultural force that is dead. And really, music as a socially important force only lasted from roughly the 20s through the early 00s. Today music is background noise. It isn't important in the way Bob Dylan was in the 1960s. Music is dead, and yet it is more diverse and alive than ever.

• Like 1

There's PLENTY of traditional rock out there, you just have to look harder to find it is all. 

I don't consider music like Imagine Dragons, etc, to be "rock". I consider it to be Pop Rock, at best. 

There's tons of "rock" music out there in all different styles of the genre in a traditional sense. You just have to look a little harder for it because rock isn't the dominant genre currently and hasn't been for some time. 

With respect to GNR specifically, I think people have always liked everything they have to offer from the beginning style wise. It's the reason Jungle could be a big hit at the same time of SCOM. 

• Like 2

On 8/27/2018 at 6:54 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Of course the most of us like rockers, we’re on a Guns N’ Roses forum. However the general public? Not a big amount truly listens to them anymore. It’s about rap music for the teenagers these days. (God damn I just made myself sound like a 80 year old man)

Look at this playlist. All new rock. Each song has over 1 million views.

Edited by Fashionista