Do people still like Rockers?

1 hour ago, Fashionista said:

People listen to a little bit of everything nowadays. The music business as it existed in the 80s and 90s is dead. There is no one dominant genre of music anymore. There are no real music scenes, either, the way there was in the 80s and 90s and 60s and 70s. It's not rock that is dead, it's music in general as a social and cultural force that is dead. And really, music as a socially important force only lasted from roughly the 20s through the early 00s. Today music is background noise. It isn't important in the way Bob Dylan was in the 1960s. Music is dead, and yet it is more diverse and alive than ever.

Hip Hop is EASILY dominant.

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Hip Hop is EASILY dominant.

Depends on the age group. The younger people, the teenagers, listen to a bit of everything. People in my age group (20s) listen to Hip Hop more than anything else, but the next generation listens to a very diverse set of music. Hip Hop is going through a phase I think similar to Hair Metal around say...1990 or so...It peaked and it's still popular, but something else is around the bend. And honestly I think POP overall is bigger than Hip Hop or Rock, at this point, across all age groups (like Taylor Swift and electro pop etc).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fashionista said:

Depends on the age group. The younger people, the teenagers, listen to a bit of everything. People in my age group (20s) listen to Hip Hop more than anything else, but the next generation listens to a very diverse set of music. Hip Hop is going through a phase I think similar to Hair Metal around say...1990 or so...It peaked and it's still popular, but something else is around the bend. And honestly I think POP overall is bigger than Hip Hop or Rock, at this point, across all age groups (like Taylor Swift and electro pop etc).

Hip Hop permeates our culture, its ubiquitous, like washing powder, its everywhere, in car and clothes commercials, in the language that we speak, in the charts, even in the music that we call a different genre.  And when I say our culture I mean internationally, you can listen to pop music from here to the far east and you’ll hear hip hop beats and some other cultures appropriation of rapping.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Hip Hop permeates our culture, its ubiquitous, like washing powder, its everywhere, in car and clothes commercials, in the language that we speak, in the charts, even in the music that we call a different genre.  And when I say our culture I mean internationally, you can listen to pop music from here to the far east and you’ll hear hip hop beats and some other cultures appropriation of rapping.

It's not as big as it once was. Hip Hop and Rock went back and forth in the late 80s/early 90s. Hip Hop/R&B got really big in the  mid 90s up until mid 00s. It started to cool off a bit when Lady Gaga came up and brought a new era of Pop on to the scene. At least that's how  it was in the NJ/NYC area. 

As I stated before  in this thread, the 2010s are definitely different compared to the 80s, 90s, and 00s. Nowadays people can do their own thing thanks to streaming and YouTube. I think all genres has its place in music and there never will be a dominant type of music like it was back in  the day. 

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Could make the same points about rock, though. Rock slang is mainstream slang now, people wear rock band tshirts, etc etc. Could say rock permeates other genres as well. Like others have said, this decade is different in that there is no real one dominant genre of music anymore.

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yet “commercial music” is getting close to a billion views per videos. Proportions are everything.

Still, 20 million or so views is still a lot. Definitely not a 'dead genre.'

29 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Could make the same points about rock, though. Rock slang is mainstream slang now, people wear rock band tshirts, etc etc. Could say rock permeates other genres as well. Like others have said, this decade is different in that there is no real one dominant genre of music anymore.

Still, 20 million or so views is still a lot. Definitely not a 'dead genre.'

Never said it was a dead genre. However, rockers are definitely not commercial and definitely not what the mainstream listens to these days.

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Never said it was a dead genre. However, rockers are definitely not commercial and definitely not what the mainstream listens to these days.

It's just evolved man. A song like Thunder by Imagine Dragons is considered a rocker nowadays. Diehard guitar people may not consider it rock, but its fans consider it such.

My impression is most people around me are listening to the radio when listening music. That means they're listening to that "chart" shit. 

Personally I know more people who like hip hop than people who like rock and most of the people who actually like rock music prefer some kind of metal instead of good old hard rock.

That said, you just have to look to the most grossing tours of each year and you'll see rock music is still alive. It's complicated

• Like 1

Most streamed artists on spotify of all time are Drake, J Balvin, Maroon 5, Calvin Harris, Khalid, Ed Sheeran, Ariana Grande, Bad Bunny, Imagine Dragons and Dua Lipa.

So I guess pop is dominating like always, 2 rap, 2 reggaeton, 1 rock and 5 pop artists. 

In the 90s (in the USA only) best sold albums were by Alanis Morissette, Shania Twain, Metallica, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion x2, Hootie & the Blowfish, Backstreet Boys, Garth Brooks, Backstreet Boys

Same shit, mainstream was always bad in general. Nothing new 

I feel like what Guns can bring to the table other bands can’t is the more prog rock type stuff. 7 ten minute songs would be perfect. But that’s probably a little heavy. 

Guns always has a rocker like Jungle, YCBM, Chi dem. 

Then a mid temp Ballad like SCOM, Dont Cry, This I Love

Then bigger rock songs like Paradise city, Nov Rain, There was a Time. 

I would add some Duff punk songs into it, acoustic stuff. 

Basically somewhere between UYI and CD. 

Nothing as far as Shacklers, Scraped, Riad but maybe some Axl orchestra songs. 

But definitely some Slash rockers. 

a G Side and R side maybe. 

7 new Slash/Duff/Axl songs

7 Axl material

Edited by wasted

19 hours ago, papashaun said:

You've pretty much heard everything then....I really like GVF as well myself, but they have basically released 2 EP's to this date, with the 2nd EP containing like 3 of the 4 songs from the first EP (Black Smoke Rising-EP and From the Fires-EP) All together, they have less than 10 original songs released to this point...but hey....that's much more original content than GnR has put over the last 10 years. 

I will be happy with a new, full length GVF album, as well as a new, full length GnR album, no matter what the majority of the content is. 

I'd never listened to GVF until very recently and they are quite enjoyable as background music. Vocals very Plant, but also they sound A LOT like Wolfmother. 

I live for the rockers! As others said, GNR is cool for having lots of other elements too. I dont get the "generic" comments about Driving Rain - sounds fresh and vital to my ears!

The question in regards to rockers and a new gnr release is interesting to me especially in light of how much I like their take on Wichita Linemen. Suits Axls voice. They've already done a side of acoustic numbers and it would suit Axls voice needs to do a softer album. Id go for that too.

I think rock was killed off as the last victim of an ass backwards major label lead industry. They just promoted so much garbage and pop that they called rock. Today the idea of labels or record contracts isnt really a thing. One just uploads their home made, high quality recordings to YT and throws some sorta insignia that they made to represent a lable of production company. Unfortunately for rock fans, this is much easier to do in electronic based music. There are indie rappers getting 10 million views on every track they post and most of us would never even know they exist.

I think rock was really popular about taboo and risk and intrigue more then its socio-political currents. Like, your Mamma wont let you buy a motorcycle but you can still live vicariously through Motley Crue riding bikes. But as time goes on, education happens and suddenly I dont wanna drive a motorcycle because I could die. Or the sex and drugs the same; rock was about these being inaccessible taboos. But now around 5th grade sex is demystified for the students. So The Lemon Song by Zeppelin isnt really so spicy anymore. Theres no "wait is he talking about a women touching his penis?!?! Oh my!" But rather its more like "he is describing a hand job. Safe practice says they should be using an eco friendly lube. What a fun sexy time for them." Whether it was the artists, the industry or the market as a whole; rock chose to live and die on that hill of taboo rather then growing into its other elements, imo.

Where do we go now? I wanna riot some more!

• Like 2

On 8/26/2018 at 6:48 PM, jacdaniel said:

As a Guns fan, the rockers have always been my favourite songs. Of course I really like the ballads too, but I prefer them to be 1 or 2 to an album. I never liked CD due to the lack of real rockers on that album.

However, I've seen a lot of evidence on this forum to suggest that I'm in a minority. 

SMKC have a bunch of cool rock songs, some bad songs as well. I understand people hate Myles and that's ok, but the music is very quickly dismissed as generic rock.

Contraband is also a cool rock album. I see a lot of negativity towards that album.

I also picked up on a lot of people saying the band shouldn't do an AFD 2.0 and it would suck if they did. 

Finally, I see ACDC get a lot of grief on here for releasing a similar style of music over the years. 

The question is, after so many years of rock music, is it possible to write a rock song that's not instantly dismissed as generic? 

Do people still want a good old riff driven song with a cool solo? 

Would you prefer a much higher ratio of ballads/experimental type stuff? 

I'd personally like Guns to strip down again. No dizzy or Melissa in the studio. Just a 5 piece writing some guitar driven, high tempo rock songs. Maybe something acoustic as well.

I am with u man , SMKC are a killer RocK n Roll BAND , NOT MANY AROUND IN THE WORLD ANYMORE , Fans on here don't wanna give Myles Credit for his singing  because its like a competition to AXL , I understand  that , I love AXL singing and attitude until  die , Myles isn't AXL , bUT MYLES is as good as any Rock singer in today's world that make records , I didn't listen to CD by AXL for years  because SLASH didn't play  on it , WHEN AXL and his band came to a local venue I didn't go even with BLACK LABEL SOCIETY opening the gig because all of my brothers that go to gigs together with me   because that would be a betrayal to SLASH , I GET IT !! Now in staying on Topic -I love the rockers , 1 ballad is cool because usually the guitar  solo is usually  a lot louder in the mix and is  a journey of slow then sped up playing , AS far as Smkc the SLASH FANS LOVE IT , MOST AXL  FANS  HATE IT , ENJOY BOTH SMKC  and bad as I have to say this Chinese Democracy , it isnt a competition it just so happens the the TOXIC TWINS split and made records on their own -now that are back together , AND BTW SMKC has 1 ballad on this record 

10 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Lol 

I don't know this band but based on the posted video they have nothing to do with rock music

It's an indierock poprock electropop band with lots of influences :lol: They're quite big here in Belgium.

On 29/08/2018 at 12:29 AM, Draguns said:

It's not as big as it once was. Hip Hop and Rock went back and forth in the late 80s/early 90s. Hip Hop/R&B got really big in the  mid 90s up until mid 00s. It started to cool off a bit when Lady Gaga came up and brought a new era of Pop on to the scene. At least that's how  it was in the NJ/NYC area. 

Check out the biggest radio stations in NY, what are they?

Just saw MM and Rob Zombie last week in Dallas. The place was an outdoor venue and from what I could see pretty much sold out.

Any rock show I see here in Dallas is always sold out or pretty much so.

Fans in Dallas always come out to support the bands they love.

I have Bullet for My Valentine in September and they have a huge fan base here. They're always sold out.

I see Ghost in October and also they have an amazing huge fan base.

No matter what rock show I have seen in Dallas the fans come out in masses and rock their asses off!

Rock and Roll fans will always support the bands they love and that's why the rock bands continue to tour over the over again.

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Check out the biggest radio stations in NY, what are they?

First off Z100 has always been pop. 103.5 has been techno/EDM. Q104.3- classic rock. Q104.3 started as alternative rock in 1994 when I graduated from high school.  95.5 was soft rock and now geared towards women. 92.3- was classic rock and then alternative. They tried to be more like Z100 with a bit more hip hop to it. They failed and now they are back to being alternative rock. 105.5 WDHA is all rock. There's only two stations that truly plays only hip hop. Hot 97 and 105.1. 

Second: http://adage.com/article/media/mixed-signals-radio-s-health/313110/ and https://variety.com/2017/music/news/traditional-radio-faces-a-grim-future-new-study-says-1202542681/

45 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

They are what younger people consider rock music nowadays. It has moved on from the sound you're accustomed to.

There are some charactaristics you just can't fuck with and regardless what somebody is considering this type of music rockmusic, it just isn't. 

• Like 4