"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

11 minutes ago, Amir said:

I think Locomotive would have been a classic had they cut a couple of the middle verses. The outro is brilliant but the song drags too long to get there. SCOM was gonna have a third verse originally before it was axed, but with the UYIs there seems to have been less "editorial oversight" and a few tracks suffer from bloat.

I think Locomotive is brilhant because when it starts you think it will be a short, direct song, but it turns to be a hard rock epic with non-stop lyrics.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tio Didi said:

I also read on Slash's book that the original November Rain was 18 minutes long and they had to cut it down to fit on the record. Boy, I would love to hear it the way it was intended to be.

Yeah November rain was around since the early 1980s but as just a piano piece. I think it was Traci guns who said that any time axl found a piano he'd play it. You can or at least could hear the full version before. 

8 hours ago, Tio Didi said:

I also read on Slash's book that the original November Rain was 18 minutes long and they had to cut it down to fit on the record. Boy, I would love to hear it the way it was intended to be.

6 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Yeah November rain was around since the early 1980s but as just a piano piece. I think it was Traci guns who said that any time axl found a piano he'd play it. You can or at least could hear the full version before. 

I find myself listening to the piano version from Sound City almost every time I want to listen to NR. Proper awesome - albeit the trade off is no guitar solo.

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's one of my top three favorite GnR tracks.

I love slashs solos in this track. Ive been wondering if this was a  old song or one that was written during the illusion recording period, during those 35 days.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Can you find a link to that? Would be interested to hear it.

Tried to find it on YouTube, but only came up with one time he messed up the lyrics (sang the lines You'll feel better tomorrow / Come the morning light now, baby in the 2nd verse). So now I'm doubting my own memory lol

Thought he did that in Japan 2007. If you're willing to search for it, keep in mind his voice was awesome back then and it will make you sad haha

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jamillos said:

I have to say that I absolutely love ANYTHING GOES from the L&L boxset. It's so fucking awesome! 

Wow!! I came to this post to write the same. I'm hearing it now, always like this song a lot, and now I just heard the 4:33 sec demo, love it.

I think that is a great song, very rocker, with a great riff and voice.

• Like 1

Also starting my Guns N Roses Athon and not being a fan of GNR in 1987 when AFD was released(I was just turned two) I can kind of imagine how it must be like to have heard the album for the first time in 1987. Whoever's decision it was to have the first three songs on the album as jungle, ISE, and nightrain is a genius. 

I remember an interview reprinted in classic rock years ago(wish I hadn't lost them) of an interview taking place in a hotel off the sunset strip and slash putting a tape of it's so easy into a Walkman and this guy from the UK hearing it for the first time and being blown away by the song. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII

On 3/20/2020 at 9:56 AM, IrishgunnerII said:

There are few songs on UYI that are underrated like yesterdays which is a great song. I may be in the minority but I like the alt lyrics version of don't cry better than the original. 

I skip the the album version of KOHD normally(won't be this weekend) as I hate the phone call part which adds zero value to the song. Also I remember my best friend reading the lyrics in the UYI Album and he was a huge bob Dylan fan so obviously knew the song but in 2003 he said the lyrics are different between the Dylan version and the GNR version. Now it wasn't huge but according to him there were slight differences in some lines. I'll be honest I wasn't curious enough to check the two that closely. Is there a difference or was my friend talking rubbish ?

Is your friend talking about  the version on the Days of Thunder soundtrack? On that version, there are additional lyrics that Axl added to the song. The UYI version has the original lyrics. 

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

Is your friend talking about  the version on the Days of Thunder soundtrack? On that version, there are additional lyrics that Axl added to the song. The UYI version has the original lyrics. 

No it was the UYI version. Now it's possible that my friend was intentionally messing with me. He had/still has a way of joking with me because I have a good memory and remember lots of stuff. For example I could list the FIFA World Cup years and host countries and fhe he'd knowingly get them wrong knowing it would bug me.

Edited by IrishgunnerII

1 hour ago, Michael Van Gerwen said:

2010 was better than 2006/2007, there was no mickey at all in 2010 but 2006/2007 still had some mickey.

Disagree, but I see it's a matter of taste/choice. In 2006/2007 he had much more control and could hit ALL the notes - including the bridge in Better. He could never pull of Sailing in 2010 like he did in 2006.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Disagree, but I see it's a matter of taste/choice. In 2006/2007 he had much more control and could hit ALL the notes - including the bridge in Better. He could never pull of Sailing in 2010 like he did in 2006.

I'd agree, and even though there was some songs on some of those pro shots where he had a few slips, I think the overall control and technique was much, much better. Listen to Rock am ring 06, and then Reading 2010. In 2006 he was legging it all over the place, hitting and holding all the notes and remained in breath, in 2010 he was chewing glass and sounded like vintage rasp Axl... but he had no gas, he was gasping for air. He could also hit way higher notes in 2006/07 like you mentioned and always nailed the better breakdown, which 2010 Axl sometimes dodged.

Personally I'll go with a cleaner voice with some rasp but he has more air, over raspy AF but cutting notes and gasping. If I could get a hybrid of both then that's the obvious preference.

• Like 2