"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

6 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Just further to my last post I'm wondering do we include the live era album and greatest hits. I'm just look at the official albums I have in my CD rack and live era and the GH are there(I have the GH for completeness sake) but there's overlap. 

This is a great idea! I’m gonna marathon everything, including Live Era, GH, and even my own bootlegs that I’ve made of the rarities from all the different eras!

EDIT: on second thought, I’ll leave GH out, since that one only has one different song.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting a Use Your Illusion tattoo since I was 14 years old and today, after 5 years, I finally did it! I think it turned out great and couldn’t be happier with it!

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence? It's one thing to be a touring nostalgia band, that's fine, but the attitude in his responses to fans has actually made m

Posted Images

I posted this as a status a few days back and never got an answer, so figured I’d ask here:

Who wrote which songs on AFD? Do we know? 

Also:

Why was the “Live at the London O2 Arena” dvd from 2012 canceled at the last minute?

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I posted this as a status a few days back and never got an answer, so figured I’d ask here:

Who wrote which songs on AFD? Do we know? 

Also:

Why was the “Live at the London O2 Arena” dvd from 2012 canceled at the last minute?

No idea on the second question. 

the first question the only song off the top of my head that had someone other that the band members was it's so easy which was written by duff and west Arkeem. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII

Oh and anything goes which had Chris Weber but anything goes predates even the first incarnation of GNR I think.

edit: anything used to be called "my way, your way" which is one of the lyrics of the song. I can't remember right now when that change to anything goes.

Edited by IrishgunnerII
11 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I remember listening to coma for the first time in the summer of 2002 and being amazed by it then and you can see why axl is proud of the final two minutes of the song as it's  just amazing both musically and lyrically. It's certainly up there as some of the best lyrics axl ever wrote. I mean how axl sings the last part amazed me then and amazes me now. I can barely say the words and keep in time with the music. When I start the listen through it's a shame coma is so far down the line.

I think the song is outstanding. Slash's solo is one of his best work, and the lead in this outro is also excellent. I do like the 1st half enough so is not a problem for me to have to wait for that ending. 

I think Locomotive would have been a classic had they cut a couple of the middle verses. The outro is brilliant but the song drags too long to get there. SCOM was gonna have a third verse originally before it was axed, but with the UYIs there seems to have been less "editorial oversight" and a few tracks suffer from bloat.

• Like 3
On 12/31/2019 at 4:12 AM, jackparker123 said:

It's taken me 15 years but Don't Damn Me has finally really grown on me.

I used to always skip it when I was younger.

It could have maybe even been on Appetite, or at least a terrific B-side in that era.

That's one of my top three favorite GnR tracks.

• GNFNR 1

There are few songs on UYI that are underrated like yesterdays which is a great song. I may be in the minority but I like the alt lyrics version of don't cry better than the original. 

I skip the the album version of KOHD normally(won't be this weekend) as I hate the phone call part which adds zero value to the song. Also I remember my best friend reading the lyrics in the UYI Album and he was a huge bob Dylan fan so obviously knew the song but in 2003 he said the lyrics are different between the Dylan version and the GNR version. Now it wasn't huge but according to him there were slight differences in some lines. I'll be honest I wasn't curious enough to check the two that closely. Is there a difference or was my friend talking rubbish ?

Edited by IrishgunnerII
11 minutes ago, Amir said:

I think Locomotive would have been a classic had they cut a couple of the middle verses. The outro is brilliant but the song drags too long to get there. SCOM was gonna have a third verse originally before it was axed, but with the UYIs there seems to have been less "editorial oversight" and a few tracks suffer from bloat.

I think Locomotive is brilhant because when it starts you think it will be a short, direct song, but it turns to be a hard rock epic with non-stop lyrics.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Tio Didi said:

I also read on Slash's book that the original November Rain was 18 minutes long and they had to cut it down to fit on the record. Boy, I would love to hear it the way it was intended to be.

Yeah November rain was around since the early 1980s but as just a piano piece. I think it was Traci guns who said that any time axl found a piano he'd play it. You can or at least could hear the full version before. 

1 hour ago, Amir said:

The "And when you're in need of someone..." bit is epic. Think they only did it live two or three times, once with Shannon.

This. I think Axl even mixed up both versions once in 2007, when was basically only he and Bumblefoot playing it.

8 hours ago, Tio Didi said:

I also read on Slash's book that the original November Rain was 18 minutes long and they had to cut it down to fit on the record. Boy, I would love to hear it the way it was intended to be.

6 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Yeah November rain was around since the early 1980s but as just a piano piece. I think it was Traci guns who said that any time axl found a piano he'd play it. You can or at least could hear the full version before. 

I find myself listening to the piano version from Sound City almost every time I want to listen to NR. Proper awesome - albeit the trade off is no guitar solo.

9 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

That's one of my top three favorite GnR tracks.

I love slashs solos in this track. Ive been wondering if this was a  old song or one that was written during the illusion recording period, during those 35 days.

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

This. I think Axl even mixed up both versions once in 2007, when was basically only he and Bumblefoot playing it.

Can you find a link to that? Would be interested to hear it.

8 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I love slashs solos in this track. Ive been wondering if this was a  old song or one that was written during the illusion recording period, during those 35 days.

I think it written during the Illusions period.

7 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I have to say that I absolutely love ANYTHING GOES from the L&L boxset. It's so fucking awesome! 

And the whole thing, come to think of it. 

Guys, I have a very heavy hangover, I can't seem to be able to function normally. Somebody please tell me: where is the One in a Million demo with the low voice from? I know it's not Locked and Loaded, that's for sure... 

Thx. 

10 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Can you find a link to that? Would be interested to hear it.

Tried to find it on YouTube, but only came up with one time he messed up the lyrics (sang the lines You'll feel better tomorrow / Come the morning light now, baby in the 2nd verse). So now I'm doubting my own memory lol

Thought he did that in Japan 2007. If you're willing to search for it, keep in mind his voice was awesome back then and it will make you sad haha

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, jamillos said:

I have to say that I absolutely love ANYTHING GOES from the L&L boxset. It's so fucking awesome! 

Wow!! I came to this post to write the same. I'm hearing it now, always like this song a lot, and now I just heard the 4:33 sec demo, love it.

I think that is a great song, very rocker, with a great riff and voice.

• Like 1

Also starting my Guns N Roses Athon and not being a fan of GNR in 1987 when AFD was released(I was just turned two) I can kind of imagine how it must be like to have heard the album for the first time in 1987. Whoever's decision it was to have the first three songs on the album as jungle, ISE, and nightrain is a genius. 

I remember an interview reprinted in classic rock years ago(wish I hadn't lost them) of an interview taking place in a hotel off the sunset strip and slash putting a tape of it's so easy into a Walkman and this guy from the UK hearing it for the first time and being blown away by the song. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII