"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He has mentioned bass, that he played a bit. Then there is the bit of banjo he played on Breakdown.

I was just thinking yesterday about famous musicians who can't read music. None of the Beatles could, Elvis didn't, Hendrix, Clapton. I'm pretty sure Axl has mentioned he can but I'm not sure about any of the other guys. 

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I was just thinking yesterday about famous musicians who can't read music. None of the Beatles could, Elvis didn't, Hendrix, Clapton. I'm pretty sure Axl has mentioned he can but I'm not sure about any of the other guys. 

Yeah, Slash has said that he can't and he plays by ear. I guess Axl can because of the piano lessons he took as a kid - he had mentioned that he used to practice on piano sheet music.

My loked and loaded box set came today.  Man this thing is absolutely beautiful.  The box itself with the cross is even nicer than I imagined.  I'm happy to have all the vinyl.  I will never touch most of the stuff in the box but it's neat to look at. Some of it will get hung up too.  Overall I'm happy to have this.  I think it's a great collection, and a beautiful box, and I'm proud to own something so awesome from my favorite band. 

But man how did they charge 1k for this? Lol. 300 would have been the sweet spot I think, especially with 10,000 being made.  I wonder how many of this thing they sold?

I got #03770.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

My loked and loaded box set came today.  Man this thing is absolutely beautiful.  The box itself with the cross is even nicer than I imagined.  I'm happy to have all the vinyl.  I will never touch most of the stuff in the box but it's neat to look at. Some of it will get hung up too.  Overall I'm happy to have this.  I think it's a great collection, and a beautiful box, and I'm proud to own something so awesome from my favorite band. 

But man how did they charge 1k for this? Lol. 300 would have been the sweet spot I think, especially with 10,000 being made.  I wonder how many of this thing they sold?

I got #03770.

I was happy with mine too, especially with the deal I got with the turntable included. Having said that, yeah, $300 - $500 is what it really should have been priced at to begin with. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was happy with mine too, especially with the deal I got with the turntable included. Having said that, yeah, $300 - $500 is what it really should have been priced at to begin with. 

Tbanks again for the set :) I do really like the cabinet

• GNFNR 1

On 4/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, lame ass security said:

read music.

The craziest thing I've ever seen are music charts.  I recorded a song down in Nashville recently with a few song writers and they ended putting it all in a "chart."  They then handed it to the session musicians who'd never heard even the work draft of the song before.  5 minutes later, the song was recorded lol. 

1 hour ago, there is no dana only zool said:

The craziest thing I've ever seen are music charts.  I recorded a song down in Nashville recently with a few song writers and they ended putting it all in a "chart."  They then handed it to the session musicians who'd never heard even the work draft of the song before.  5 minutes later, the song was recorded lol. 

Ah Nashville musicians are a different breed for sure!  They use an interesting way of notating music on charts where they use a number system - writing down the chord function in relation to its key as opposed to the chord name. 

So instead of the traditional chord chart where the literal chord like E minor, for example would be written, the Nashville system would write its function such as 6-, and since the key of the song would be given to the readers, they could easily decipher the 6- as E minor in the key of G - just as an example

I have much more experience reading down traditional charts however those Nashville musicians really have a cool thing going on over there!  Their system was definitely curated for high turnaround in recording.  Easy to read and easy to play any chart in any key

Edited by WhazUp

11 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

I know man, it's amazing. I had the same experience recording. 

On 02/05/2020 at 2:06 AM, lame ass security said:

I just watched the old vid of Axl singing Sailing live. Damn, it was incredible, gave me goosebumps.  It was with Nu Guns, does anyone know when and where that show was from?

Edit: pretty sure it's Wembley 2006.

I think it is. One of the finest moments of the new GNR, both with Axl and Robin.

• Like 3