"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting a Use Your Illusion tattoo since I was 14 years old and today, after 5 years, I finally did it! I think it turned out great and couldn’t be happier with it!

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence? It's one thing to be a touring nostalgia band, that's fine, but the attitude in his responses to fans has actually made m

Posted Images

On 3/31/2020 at 1:15 PM, UsedYourIllusion said:

I just think UYI sounds too, maybe polished isn't the right word, but it sounds like an ACDC album. To me, at least, it sounds the most dated of all of GN'Rs catalogue. Along with some curious choices for recording, like all the added effects on Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime, fade out on DTJ, My World? Haha, the over production of KOHD. 

UYI has some of my favorite songs, but not recordings. The songs play out so much better live than in the studio. To the point, it feels hard to get my friends interested in GN'R showing them stuff from UYI. 

Well, thank you for not saying you don't like it because it's "too polished".  That's the critical phrase every rock fan uses when he doesn't like a song/album and feels like the artist spent too much time and money to get a very specific, refined sound.  Of course, these critics always say they prefer the live version of the song, because, of course, the guitars are louder.  Strangely though, that criticism is never used when describing Pink Floyd, Queen, early Def Leppard or the later Beatles albums.  I'd say they are all pretty polished, and pretty great. 

Bought the locked and loaded box set last night for $360 before tax and shipping.

I know that is still very expensive and I probably shouldn't have spent the money but I just got some refunds from canceled concerts, my stimulus and a bonus check from work so I said fuck it.

It cost me 412 after shipping which is way more than I ever thought I would spend on a music box set but I do fucking love this band and the box is gorgeous.  

Feel bad for everyone who dropped 1k

• Like 2
Just now, Bitchisback said:

Bought the locked and loaded box set last night for $360 before tax and shipping.

I know that is still very expensive and I probably shouldn't have spent the money but I just got some refunds from canceled concerts, my stimulus and a bonus check from work so I said fuck it.

It cost me 412 after shipping which is way more than I ever thought I would spend on a music box set but I do fucking love this band and the box is gorgeous.  

Feel bad for everyone who dropped 1k

Enjoy it!  I always liked the aesthetic of the L&L box set, and of course great content in it too - I just thought that the 1k price tag was a joke so I am glad people are nowadays being able to get it at the price range it should have been to begin with

• Like 2
1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

Enjoy it!  I always liked the aesthetic of the L&L box set, and of course great content in it too - I just thought that the 1k price tag was a joke so I am glad people are nowadays being able to get it at the price range it should have been to begin with

Thank you. I can't wait to open it.

400 is still a lot of money, but with all the bullshit that we have had going on this year I deserve something nice.  I never thought I would have the chance to own this when they announced the ridiculous price tag and that always really bummed me out.  I'm super excited.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

He has mentioned bass, that he played a bit. Then there is the bit of banjo he played on Breakdown.

Didn't he play bass on Right Next Door To Hell? I know he is credited with a six-string bass in one of the Illusions track.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Didn't he play bass on Right Next Door To Hell? I know he is credited with a six-string bass in one of the Illusions track.

Yes, you are right. On Live and Let Die, too.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He has mentioned bass, that he played a bit. Then there is the bit of banjo he played on Breakdown.

I was just thinking yesterday about famous musicians who can't read music. None of the Beatles could, Elvis didn't, Hendrix, Clapton. I'm pretty sure Axl has mentioned he can but I'm not sure about any of the other guys. 

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I was just thinking yesterday about famous musicians who can't read music. None of the Beatles could, Elvis didn't, Hendrix, Clapton. I'm pretty sure Axl has mentioned he can but I'm not sure about any of the other guys. 

Yeah, Slash has said that he can't and he plays by ear. I guess Axl can because of the piano lessons he took as a kid - he had mentioned that he used to practice on piano sheet music.

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, Slash has said that he can't and he plays by ear. I guess Axl can because of the piano lessons he took as a kid - he had mentioned that he used to practice on piano sheet music.

Yeah, I would assume Adler, Izzy, or Duff don't either. But I would think Dizzy and Melissa Reese can.

• Like 1

My loked and loaded box set came today.  Man this thing is absolutely beautiful.  The box itself with the cross is even nicer than I imagined.  I'm happy to have all the vinyl.  I will never touch most of the stuff in the box but it's neat to look at. Some of it will get hung up too.  Overall I'm happy to have this.  I think it's a great collection, and a beautiful box, and I'm proud to own something so awesome from my favorite band. 

But man how did they charge 1k for this? Lol. 300 would have been the sweet spot I think, especially with 10,000 being made.  I wonder how many of this thing they sold?

I got #03770.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
9 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

My loked and loaded box set came today.  Man this thing is absolutely beautiful.  The box itself with the cross is even nicer than I imagined.  I'm happy to have all the vinyl.  I will never touch most of the stuff in the box but it's neat to look at. Some of it will get hung up too.  Overall I'm happy to have this.  I think it's a great collection, and a beautiful box, and I'm proud to own something so awesome from my favorite band. 

But man how did they charge 1k for this? Lol. 300 would have been the sweet spot I think, especially with 10,000 being made.  I wonder how many of this thing they sold?

I got #03770.

I was happy with mine too, especially with the deal I got with the turntable included. Having said that, yeah, $300 - $500 is what it really should have been priced at to begin with. 

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I was happy with mine too, especially with the deal I got with the turntable included. Having said that, yeah, $300 - $500 is what it really should have been priced at to begin with. 

Tbanks again for the set :) I do really like the cabinet

• GNFNR 1