"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Just saw rough mobile footage of the last gig in Mexico. I have been a big critic of Better for years but this performance was actually not bad and the ‘I never wanted you....’ bit was excellent - properly went for it.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 5:22 AM, jamillos said:

Shit, I've just heard Bennie and the Jets. I don't want Guns to play this song. Wasn't it on some kind of playlist somewhere? Must have been a joke. 

That was the first time you heard that song!? :o  That, Rocket Man, and Tiny Dancer are played nonstop on FM radio to death lol

5 hours ago, WhazUp said:

That was the first time you heard that song!? :o  That, Rocket Man, and Tiny Dancer are played nonstop on FM radio to death lol

Probably, or I didn't know that was the song before. Guess I'm on different radios. 

I get the feeling I've said this somewhere else on the message board before but can't see it, but I know that slash hates the cover GNR did of sympathy for the devil for various reason but it's a really good version of the song IMO. I think it's up there with all the other cover versions they put on tape. At least SFTD doesn't have a stupid phone conversation stuck in the middle of it like KOHD does on the album version. I will mute the volume on KOHD to not listen to that part. I think it adds nothing at all to the song. Ive no idea what axl was thinking there I really don't. 

I’ve never had a problem with SFTD; in fact, I consider it one of their best covers. I suspect many people have connected it with Slash saying it was "the sound of a band breaking up" – but I think he meant it more like a metaphor. Yes, there was the guitar disagreement, but the song is actually awesome, and I’d love to have another – non-punk – Spaghetti, this time containing songs like SFTD. 

• Like 2

I like the UYI 2 version of don't cry better than the original version. The lyrics fit the song better and there are some amazing individual lyrics in the alt version. Also, I was trying to remember without cheating(looking it up) but is the story why Alice cooper is on the song the garden because when they were recording that song axl was sounding like Alice cooper so they asked Alice cooper to just do it ? 

4 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

I like the UYI 2 version of don't cry better than the original version. The lyrics fit the song better and there are some amazing individual lyrics in the alt version. Also, I was trying to remember without cheating(looking it up) but is the story why Alice cooper is on the song the garden because when they were recording that song axl was sounding like Alice cooper so they asked Alice cooper to just do it ? 

Pretty much yeah. It’d be great if they got Alice out for just one rendition of The Garden on the next tour. 👍

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Pretty much yeah. It’d be great if they got Alice out for just one rendition of The Garden on the next tour. 👍

It would make sense I always thought Axl sounded like Alice on the”ostracized, but that’s alright” pert in perfect crime.

14 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Random question - does anyone know what font is used on the Chinese Democracy cover??

I've used a font called Sitka on previous designs that is very close to it.

I seem to remember it was some sort of font with "reader" at the end of it, that you had to pay a premium in order to get, though can't seem to find this info on the net. 

• Like 1

Just now, Dean said:

I've used a font called Sitka on previous designs that is very close to it.

I seem to remember it was some sort of font with "reader" at the end of it, that you had to pay a premium in order to get, though can't seem to find this info on the net. 

Awesome mate - something close will do fine. I’ll use that. 👍

• GNFNR 1

Just watched a few old bootlegs... Man, what the fuck. Whatever’s been going on, I love GN’R so much! Too bad it’s getting screwed over by some powers that no one wants... but in any case, it’s a fucking legend and all my life and...

Been drinking here. Cheers and good night. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Just watched a few old bootlegs... Man, what the fuck. Whatever’s been going on, I love GN’R so much! Too bad it’s getting screwed over by some powers that no one wants... but in any case, it’s a fucking legend and all my life and...

Been drinking here. Cheers and good night. 

Cheerio my good man, what are you drinking?

Does there exist a complete recording of the Acoustic shows Nu-GNR did in 2010?

Not asking for it I'm just wondering why the De Leon tequila show thing decided to chop a bunch of songs from the set?

Edited by GNR_RNR

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/198947-what-dreams-may-come/?tab=comments#comment-3422513

Old post about the movie "What dreams may come" and the song "This I love" belonging to it.
"Posted May 13, 2013

I've read the book. It's mostly New Age bullshit.

The depiction of hell, though, is fantastic (in the book). Very trippy description."

I just finished the book and loved it despite the New Age BS....and indeed, description of hell was very well done.
It probably is easier to describe bad things and horror than to describe beauty.

Axl described it better in "This I love" than what I read in the book.

Would love to hear the first edition of "This I love".
Apparently the album versionn was changed a lot and the original was deleted on Axl's command.

Hopefully it will be released one day....a man can dream.

Edited by avahland
typo

3 hours ago, avahland said:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/198947-what-dreams-may-come/?tab=comments#comment-3422513

Old post about the movie "What dreams may come" and the song "This I love" belonging to it.
"Posted May 13, 2013

I've read the book. It's mostly New Age bullshit.

The depiction of hell, though, is fantastic (in the book). Very trippy description."

I just finished the book and loved it despite the New Age BS....and indeed, description of hell was very well done.
It probably is easier to describe bad things and horror than to describe beauty.

Axl described it better in "This I love" than what I read in the book.

Would love to hear the first edition of "This I love".
Apparently the album versionn was changed a lot and the original was deleted on Axl's command.

Hopefully it will be released one day....a man can dream.

I remember an early vid of TIL on YouTube that used scenes from What Dreams May Come. It was very cool.