"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

10 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence?

personally, not really. You said it. He's a clown. Why would I take him seriously enough for it to make me lose interest in Gn'R? it seems like the little power he got from Axl has gone to his head, but he has no real saying in this band's future. That's on Axl. So I'll go with what Susan said and some of the things that some of the others have said like Slash focusing on composing Gn'R material and the jams he said he had with Axl and Duff. (separately) 

I do believe Fernando knows some things, but many times he's dishonest or contradicts himself. What he said about the band members working on new music in harmony seems legit, just cause it fits with what Susan said and it seems like they get along just fine so I'll still read Fernando's often rude and ridiculous Reddit posts, but I'll take it with a grain of salt.

He is more interested in damage control and taking care of Axl's interests. Not a lot of respect for the fans or empathy and he whines instead of admitting any wrong doing of the band or himself.

but trying to be objective, his Reddit posts still have value imo. Any communication is better than none. Just gotta figure out what is bullshit and what is true so we're not completely in the dark. We got some information from his posts. So I just look at him as a necessary tool to get what I want.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rovim said:

personally, not really. You said it. He's a clown. Why would I take him seriously enough for it to make me lose interest in Gn'R? it seems like the little power he got from Axl has gone to his head, but he has no real saying in this band's future. That's on Axl. So I'll go with what Susan said and some of the things that some of the others have said like Slash focusing on Gn'R material and the jams he said he had with Axl and Duff. (separately) 

I do believe Fernando knows some things, but many times he's dishonest or contradicts himself. What he said about the band members working on new music in harmony seems legit, just cause it fits with what Susan said and it seems like they get along just fine so I'll still read Fernando's often rude and ridiculous Reddit posts, but I'll take it with a grain of salt.

He is more interested in damage control and taking care of Axl's interests. Not a lot of respect for the fans or empathy and he whines instead of admitting any wrong doing of the band or himself.

but trying to be objective, his Reddit posts still have value imo. Any communication is better than none. Just gotta figure out what is bullshit and what is true so we're not completely in the dark. We got some information from his posts. So I just look at him as a necessary tool to get what I want.

You're right, just two notes here:

1) I take it with a BAG of salt. :D
2) Whenever I read his Reddit posts, I'm not really sure whether I've actually gained any information whatsoever. It feels just like beating around the bush, the omnipresent talking down, and vague promises of happiness that never come to fruition, or at least not within the promised timeframe and far from being anywhere close (apart from gigs, of course). Didn't he say last year that the new record would be done in 6 months or something? That would make it some February/March. And while I understand that everything came to a halt with Covid, they theoretically should have had at least a single ready. Maybe they wanted to wait it out (fair enough), but someone definitely should have asked Nando about this particular thing. But yeah, "they're working". Et cetera, this is just an example. 
No, I don't feel that I get any real, relevant information from his posts, even if I filter out all the arrogant shit surrounding any and all of his so-called professional communication. 

Edited by jamillos

39 minutes ago, jamillos said:

No, I don't feel that I get any real, relevant information from his posts, even if I filter out all the arrogant shit surrounding any and all of his so-called professional communication. 

reminds me of that Bruce Willis movie "The Last Boy Scout" where it said about Willis's character's style of lying: (a cop) "every lie has 80% truth to it, it's scary" only with Fernando it's probably closer to 20% truth to some lies and it's funny.

Time will tell what is true and what's bullshit (at least when it comes to some of it) and before that we can sometimes kinda gauge the responses from other people in the Gn'R world and see if it matches what Fernando said. Every little bit helps imo. Even if the source is not reliable enough on it's own and is disliked by the fanbase.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

@Fernando is one of the most disgusting human beings on this earth. And that says a lot in times of bolsonaro and trump.

I wouldn't go that far, but he's definately the absolute wrong person for this job and he cames across as total jerk as well, which is a big problem in itself.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 2

Taking Fernando aside here.....what is there that keeps people interested in GNR? I have no idea anymore. For me, its a lifetime habit- my favourite band since being a teenager, been so long now etc. But I'm struggling now. 

There's the vague (and for me, diminishing daily) hope that new material is on it's way I suppose. But really, what keeps people interested other than that? A morbid fascination of some sort maybe? An ' I can't believe what they've done now.....' thing? 

I'm genuinely intrigued as to what keeps other people interested now. 

• GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I wouldn't go that far, but he's definately the absolute wrong person for this job and he cames across as total jerk as well, which is a big problem as in itself.

Yeah, think so too
I mean it's pretty obvious that Axl calls the shots in the gnr camp, and i have the feeling that no one would even dare to speak against or have a different opinion on how to handle things.
But that's where Fernando should come in because he's supposed to manage Axl but he ain't , while it's his fuckin' job!

Honestly, i bet Slash feels the exact same as us fans and is bored AF on stage hence same setlist day in day out.
He would love to see the footage from the past and if up to him he would have lifted the vault first thing in the morning. 
Seen the fact that he already put out a blu-ray of his last tour and tons of other gigs in the past.

• Like 2

We don't see inside, but if it really has been basically up to Axl so far (not sure), once NITL's over, I think Slash and Duff should step in properly and participate in the band's direction, decisions etc. Their musical input is essential, and there's no reason to be afraid to say something to TB if they screw things up or are incapable of promoting the band any other way than selling t-shirts etc. What should they be afraid of? The money's already been made for several lifetimes, and if the relationship is real, things need to be put on the table. Are we discontent with TB? Well, let them book gigs and make toy trucks, but let's hire someone for the other activities, like the other bands do. Or wait, let's ask Slash, who's sitting right here - he seems to have handled it well in his solo bands. It's just the three of us here, no one is meddling in the talks now, so let's discuss it. Etc. 
Again (and as usual), we don't know. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

The situation suits Nando cos he’s ‘the boss’ of Guns N’ Roses (even though in practice he’s the head of merch) and it suits Axl cos he’s not got an industry heavyweight like Azoff breathing down his neck. It’s a perfect symbiotic relationship that works well for them but sucks for us as fans

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

We don't see inside, but if it really has been basically up to Axl so far (not sure), once NITL's over, I think Slash and Duff should step in properly and participate in the band's direction, decisions etc. Their musical input is essential, and there's no reason to be afraid to say something to TB if they screw things up or are incapable of promoting the band any other way than selling t-shirts etc. What should they be afraid of? The money's already been made for several lifetimes, and if the relationship is real, things need to be put on the table. Are we discontent with TB? Well, let them book gigs and make toy trucks, but let's hire someone for the other activities, like the other bands do. Or wait, let's ask Slash, who's sitting right here - he seems to have handled it well in his solo bands. It's just the three of us here, no one is meddling in the talks now, so let's discuss it. Etc. 
Again (and as usual), we don't know. 

yeah we don't know, but maybe it's kinda like Axl has created his own safe bubble after trying to work with many professional managers and he finally settled on Beta and Fernando cause he trusts them to always make him the first priority. Like in a family business. I think Slash and Duff were able to rejoin Gn'R cause they accepted certain conditions that perhaps they wouldn't have agreed to in the past while making sure some things were deal breakers (late starts)

so they probably don't put any pressure on Axl when it comes to new music and Slash's position in interviews is "if it happens, it happens". I think Axl will listen if Slash and Duff are not satisfied with a Gn'R related issue, but in the end, he'll decide what to do.

so my guess is no one is going to step in and make it more efficient, just cause now Axl has more control over the band and it's direction and maybe Slash and Duff know it wouldn't make any difference anyway so why risk rocking the boat when it's good enough for them the way it is?

it's just how Axl wants this band to operate imo. Safer approach, fewer releases. The Conspirators is easy: everyone just wants what Slash wants, they're fine with making another record as quickly as possible and go on another tour. Slash always comes up with the music first, the lyrics are added afterwards like in an assembly line. No deep meaning attached to anything they release or overthinking it, much smaller in scale compared to Gn'R.

Edited by Rovim

26 minutes ago, Rovim said:

yeah we don't know, but maybe it's kinda like Axl has created his own safe bubble after trying to work with many professional managers and he finally settled on Beta and Fernando cause he trusts them to always make him the first priority. Like in a family business. I think Slash and Duff were able to rejoin Gn'R cause they accepted certain conditions that perhaps they wouldn't have agreed to in the past while making sure some things were deal breakers (late starts)

so they probably don't put any pressure on Axl when it comes to new music and Slash's position in interviews is "if it happens, it happens". I think Axl will listen if Slash and Duff are not satisfied with a Gn'R related issue, but in the end, he'll decide what to do.

so my guess is no one is going to step in and make it more efficient, just cause now Axl has more control over the band and it's direction and maybe Slash and Duff know it wouldn't make any difference anyway so why risk rocking the boat when it's good enough for them the way it is?

it's just how Axl wants this band to operate imo. Safer approach, fewer releases. The Conspirators is easy: Everyone just wants what Slash wants, they're fine with making another record as quickly as possible and go on another tour. Slash always comes up with the music first, the lyrics are added afterwards like in an assembly line. No deep meaning attached to anything they release or overthinking it, much smaller in scale compared to Gn'R.

Well put, and there is but one missing link, which is the fans and the lack of releases for them. And that’s where I’m hoping one day Slash or Duff could say look, we need something more if this band has a future and wants to continue making records. There are tons of materials from our prime, what’s up with that? It surely is different with Slash’s solo, but TB could certainly learn a thing or two from them or other bands. 
I guess it’s all about what kind of image Slash & Duff want the fans to associate with the reunited Guns N’ Roses, especially from post-NITL and on. Just a money machine? Axl's TB at the helm and them just enjoying the ride? Or a real band with equally (I mean the three) distributed influence and creativeness? Time - and the new record - will tell. 

EDIT: I mean, we're still taking GNR as the huge reunion touring act, but that's gonna change sooner or later, isn't it. NITL is effectively over, and new chapters will have to employ new approaches, if it's not supposed to end up like a big dumpster fire. 

Edited by jamillos

15 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Well put, and there is but one missing link, which is the fans and the lack of releases for them. And that’s where I’m hoping one day Slash or Duff could say look, we need something more if this band has a future and wants to continue making records. There are tons of materials from our prime, what’s up with that? It surely is different with Slash’s solo, but TB could certainly learn a thing or two from them or other bands. 
I guess it’s all about what kind of image Slash & Duff want the fans to associate with the reunited Guns N’ Roses, especially from post-NITL and on. Just a money machine? Axl's TB at the helm and them just enjoying the ride? Or a real band with equally (I mean the three) distributed influence and creativeness? Time - and the new record - will tell. 

I'm not sure that Slash and Duff make their decisions based on some strong principles. This is speculation land, but I think if they had it their way, they would do things very differently and the hardcore fans would be content (at least with how much product is available for them to buy and enjoy)

so maybe, after not being in Gn'R for 20 years, they kinda made their choice and sacrificed some of the power they had in old Guns. I think they know that most hardcore fans want new music and old pro shot shows released and more communication, etc, but if the reality is that it's Axl's way or the highway... too fuckin' bad when it comes to hardcore fans. They want to stay a part of Gn'R, make money, play huge shows with Axl and maybe he'll one day want to release another Gn'R album. 

Edited by Rovim

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I'm not sure that Slash and Duff make their decisions based on some strong principles. This is speculation land, but I think if they had their way, they would do things very differently and the hardcore fans would be content (at least with how much product is available for them to buy and enjoy)

so maybe, after not being in Gn'R for 20 years, they kinda made their choice and sacrificed some of the power they had in old Guns. I think they know that most hardcore fans want new music and old pro shot shows released and more communication, etc, but if the reality is that it's Axl's way or the highway... too fuckin' bad when it comes to hardcore fans. They want to stay a part of Gn'R, make money, play huge shows with Axl and maybe he'll one day want to release another Gn'R album. 

While I agree with that, we shouldn’t forget that this approach applied more during the initial revival phase – i.e. NITL (whether it’s over or not). But once it’s over, Axl just can’t afford losing these two (again), as that would slash (!) the numbers down brutally (and Nando could get a heart attack). Therefore, the way I see it, these two theoretically could use more influence in the future if they wanted to. It’s about having some sort of a symbiosis among the three. Again, once the reunion thrill wears off (I believe it already has, no?), don’t forget that Axl will be dependent on these two basically the same way they’ve been on him until recently. It’s not necessarily about rocking the boat, I feel it more like having some integrity and carrying on the legend. It’s not Axl’s solo any more, and he can't just kick them out. 
But yeah, good points. 

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

While I agree with that, we shouldn’t forget that this approach applied more during the initial revival phase – i.e. NITL (whether it’s over or not). But once it’s over, Axl just can’t afford losing these two (again), as that would slash (!) the numbers down brutally (and Nando could get a heart attack). Therefore, the way I see it, these two theoretically could use more influence in the future if they wanted to. It’s about having some sort of a symbiosis among the three. Again, once the reunion thrill wears off (I believe it already has, no?), don’t forget that Axl will be dependent on these two basically the same way they’ve been on him until recently. It’s not necessarily about rocking the boat, I feel it more like having some integrity and carrying on the legend. It’s not Axl’s solo any more, and he can't just kick them out. 
But yeah, good points. 

Axl cannot replace Slash anymore imo. The band would be over. The excitement of the reunion has worn off, I agree. Still, together they are stronger from a financial standpoint (and artistically too, but not relevant...yet?) and while the crowds are not as huge anymore, it's still much more lucrative than what they can get from the crowds they can draw on their own.

also I don't believe it's just about money. Slash likes to play stadiums and arenas, not just clubs. with Gn'R he can do that and get paid more, even if Axl doesn't release anything and even if the crowds are not as big as they used to be back in 2016.

and the thing is that Slash said they are working on new material and my best guess is that now that they are older, maybe they want to keep it going in Gn'R for as long as they can. There's no good reason not to do it imo cause there is still room for their own bands to be active. I also believe lawyers came up with a contract that covers most, if not all of the potential issues with not releasing enough product.

Slash and Duff helped build this band from nothing. It's likely that they'd want to be a part of it until the end so maybe it's no surprise they accept Axl's limitations. I think the chance of being a part of a new Gn'R album is another reason for Slash and Duff not to quit Gn'R again.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Taking Fernando aside here.....what is there that keeps people interested in GNR? I have no idea anymore. For me, its a lifetime habit- my favourite band since being a teenager, been so long now etc. But I'm struggling now. 

There's the vague (and for me, diminishing daily) hope that new material is on it's way I suppose. But really, what keeps people interested other than that? A morbid fascination of some sort maybe? An ' I can't believe what they've done now.....' thing? 

It's easy: GnR are my favorite band since I was a kid and I'll always love them. Also I will always take the opportunity to see Axl and slash live on stage. Dumbshit @Fernando is just a small fart in the history of guns. He has done nothing for the legacy of this band and never will. Once gnr is done, that fucking son of a cunt will be nothing but a slight memory. 

And of course we all hope to someday see a new record soon. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Totally agree. 

Seriously, I dont know why I am still here on a daily basis. I think this whole GnR thing is like a daily TV show which has become worse and worse during the years but you still turn it on because you are kind of addicted to the characters and/or so used to them. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I wouldn't go that far, but he's definately the absolute wrong person for this job and he cames across as total jerk as well, which is a big problem in itself.

Same here. He's just a massive douche who acts like an entitled prick for whatever reason. And it's not like he's done anything to back it up. He's just an endless power trip.

"Look at me, look at me, I'm Axl's boy, you're all jealous because you wish you were in my position" kind of nonsense. Ummmm, I really don't. I just wish he fucked off. His mother too. 

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Rovim said:

personally, not really. You said it. He's a clown. Why would I take him seriously enough for it to make me lose interest in Gn'R? it seems like the little power he got from Axl has gone to his head, but he has no real saying in this band's future. That's on Axl. So I'll go with what Susan said and some of the things that some of the others have said like Slash focusing on composing Gn'R material and the jams he said he had with Axl and Duff. (separately) 

For a long time I've been able to shrug it off and laugh about it, but this guy is basically the official spokesman for the band at this point, and not only is he completely unprofessional, he goes on an unofficial fan-forum and talks down to fans. His attitude is still ridiculous and laughable, but it's actually starting to turn me off from the band... like, this is the guy that speaks on their behalf? Really? :facepalm:

He's afraid to say that basically everything is up to Axl, and Axl doesn't want to do or release much. So he dances around questions or gives bullshit answers, then gets annoyed when fans don't like it. He's not even good at damage control, lol.

Since I am only active on this forum I do not know but really do wonder if 

a) Fernando is also hated on other forums/social media or just on mygnr

and

b) if (especially) Slash and Duff are aware of their manager’s behavior? Do they just close their eyes or is it really possible that they don’t know?

Does anyone know? 

6 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

He's afraid to say that basically everything is up to Axl, and Axl doesn't want to do or release much. So he dances around questions or gives bullshit answers, then gets annoyed when fans don't like it. He's not even good at damage control, lol.

Didn't he say more or less that in that discord chat recording that is out there? I think he cares more about defending himself, not Axl, so he went to the discord, asking not to be recorded, and said things like this to make himself look better. But of course it was recorded and got out there, so that "ruined" it for him.

13 minutes ago, zigzagbigbag said:

a) Fernando is also hated on other forums/social media or just on mygnr

It's definitely not just on here.

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Didn't he say more or less that in that discord chat recording that is out there? I think he cares more about defending himself, not Axl, so he went to the discord, asking not to be recorded, and said things like this to make himself look better. But of course it was recorded and got out there, so that "ruined" it for him.

I haven't heard the full discord chat, but I've read that he said something like that. I was referring to his posts on reddit, which seem to be more of an "official" discussion than the chat he had on discord. Of course he always tries to make himself look better, it's probably one of the official rules of being involved with GNR - always place the blame on someone else.

• Like 1