"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

32 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

I’ve actually witnessed that first hand. At an after show party here in Brisbane, Australia, when DJ Ashba was taking a couple of girls from the party down a hall way and Andrei yelled at Ashba and screamed that it was his job to take the girls down to Axl. I found it quite disturbing in a predatory way with these girls being like less than half Axl’s age. I can’t say I know what happens when they go down the hall way to meet him, but the whole thing reminded me of a certain infamous individual who is now dead and his ‘wingman’ or ‘wingwoman’ who has finally been caught to answer some charges too. 

That is awful.

34 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

I’ve actually witnessed that first hand. At an after show party here in Brisbane, Australia, when DJ Ashba was taking a couple of girls from the party down a hall way and Andrei yelled at Ashba and screamed that it was his job to take the girls down to Axl. I found it quite disturbing in a predatory way with these girls being like less than half Axl’s age. I can’t say I know what happens when they go down the hall way to meet him, but the whole thing reminded me of a certain infamous individual who is now dead and his ‘wingman’ or ‘wingwoman’ who has finally been caught to answer some charges too. 

This 'Andrei' character sounds a thoroughly delightful individual.

Bet he's got a keen eye on #MeToo. 

42 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

There are a few stories from around that time (I suppose you're talking about 2012-13), like the one with the Brazilian woman that surfaced recently, about young women being invited to Axl's tour bus or to after show parties and Axl telling them stories. There hasn't been any indication that anything bad happened, it looks more like that, for some reason, Axl liked having around a bunch of girls and talking. But yes, this Andrei guy and the whole process of "inviting" these girls, as you described it, are disgusting.

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

There are a few stories from around that time (I suppose you're talking about 2012-13), like the one with the Brazilian woman that surfaced recently, about young women being invited to Axl's tour bus or to after show parties and Axl telling them stories. There hasn't been any indication that anything bad happened, it looks more like that, for some reason, Axl liked having around a bunch of girls and talking. But yes, this Andrei guy and the whole process of "inviting" these girls, as you described it, are disgusting.

There was a widely reported mocking-story in the UK at the time (headlines were along the lines of "what do you do when no-one wants to go to your shows? you hire them!") of the band hiring models who came and stood in the pit between the crowd and the band and watched for a few songs. It was pretty weird, as none of them seemed remotely interested in the band and just stood there and checked phones etc. People kicked off a lot about it at the time. There was some sort of complaint as to why fans were paying for VIP experiences, while the band were actively seeking (or paying) models to get better treatment than them. 

I remember one of them saying how her Mum and Dad liked them, but she didn't really know anything about them. It was all very strange and I recall Bumblefoot being especially apologetic online with people about it. 

I think if anything 'dodgy' had been going on it would have surfaced then. It was all just really peculiar. 

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

There was a widely reported mocking-story in the UK at the time (headlines were along the lines of "what do you do when no-one wants to go to your shows? you hire them!") of the band hiring models who came and stood in the pit between the crowd and the band and watched for a few songs. It was pretty weird, as none of them seemed remotely interested in the band and just stood there and checked phones etc. People kicked off a lot about it at the time. There was some sort of complaint as to why fans were paying for VIP experiences, while the band were actively seeking (or paying) models to get better treatment than them. 

I remember one of them saying how her Mum and Dad liked them, but she didn't really know anything about them. It was all very strange and I recall Bumblefoot being especially apologetic online with people about it. 

I think if anything 'dodgy' had been going on it would have surfaced then. It was all just really peculiar. 

I think that happened even at reunion shows up to a point (models filling the first rows in the pit), because I remember it being discussed here on the forum at that time and that there was a lot of backlash from fans in the band's social media, too. I guess they stopped doing it after that, because I haven't heard anything ever since.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think that happened even at reunion shows up to a point (models filling the first rows in the pit), because I remember it being discussed here on the forum at that time and that there was a lot of backlash from fans in the band's social media, too. I guess they stopped doing it after that, because I haven't heard anything ever since.

Apparently so: https://www.tmz.com/2016/08/20/guns-n-roses-concert-models-invites/

It's an absolutely terrible idea, for so many reasons, especially when some of them look about 15. 

PR wise it's an absolute disaster, on so many levels. It just looks terrible all round, and potentially even dangerous. 

The main issue though (as there has been no suggestion anything untoward is going on) is that it just makes the band look rather sad and desperate to seem young or relevant. The idea of not being able to bring a guest or a 'non-model' leaves a very nasty image. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Apparently so: https://www.tmz.com/2016/08/20/guns-n-roses-concert-models-invites/

It's an absolutely terrible idea, for so many reasons, especially when some of them look about 15. 

PR wise it's an absolute disaster, on so many levels. It just looks terrible all round, and potentially even dangerous. 

The main issue though (as there has been no suggestion anything untoward is going on) is that it just makes the band look rather sad and desperate to seem young or relevant. The idea of not being able to bring a guest or a 'non-model' leaves a very nasty image. 

That's hilarious. I was at a James Bond movie premier a few years back, they had a male and female model there within the crowd for people to take photos with too. They stuck out like a sore thumb, had frequent awkward gazes at my friend and I, it was super creepy. They were definitely out of place. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yes, that was the story.

Isn't this one of the NITL shows known to have been professionally filmed? It seems they thought having "pretty faces" in the first rows instead of real fans would look better for the crowd shots, so that's what we'll get if/when they release it. Oh well.

44 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

It is worst still when you think that Axl manager is a woman: Beta.....:facepalm:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, that was the story.

Isn't this one of the NITL shows known to have been professionally filmed? It seems they thought having "pretty faces" in the first rows instead of real fans would look better for the crowd shots, so that's what we'll get if/when they release it. Oh well.

True, and that could well be the reason....but in my mind 'genuine fans' over 'bored models checking their Instagram' is always preferable! 

I suppose though, if released on DVD, it would show anyone caring to watch that a GNR audience is made up of overweight middle aged people and clowns dressed up in Slash fancy dress brandishing inflatable guitars. I'd probably take looking at bored models over that reality-check every time I put it on! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah, definitely. Seems totally in fitting with other stories floating around. 

Gosh this is really sad, I remember it was said he spoke about Slash alot in the article that was posted recently with the Swedish girl.

2 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Gosh this is really sad, I remember it was said he spoke about Slash alot in the article that was posted recently with the Swedish girl.

Other bands have used Models to sit at the front too...

2 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

23 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Since I am only active on this forum I do not know but really do wonder if 

a) Fernando is also hated on other forums/social media or just on mygnr

and

b) if (especially) Slash and Duff are aware of their manager’s behavior? Do they just close their eyes or is it really possible that they don’t know?

Does anyone know? 

I think they're resigned to it. Anything for the $. Slash and Duff are just puppets now, playing by Axl's rules. And the golden rule is we're in it for the money, fuck the fans. Duff and Slash are going along with it. They don't have the balls to say anything.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • GNFNR 1

7 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

I think they're resigned to it. Anything for the $. Slash and Duff are just puppets now, playing by Axl's rules. And the golden rule is we're in it for the money, fuck the fans. Duff and Slash are going along with it. They don't have the balls to say anything.

To me, that's the saddest aspect of the "reunion".

4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

To me, that's the saddest aspect of the "reunion".

So true. Especially because they were always so proud of themselves for not putting up with Axl's shit in the mid 90's. But now anything goes apparently.

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

^^^

One of those stories:

http://www.radiometal.com/article/behind-the-scenes-the-other-axl-rose,78375

Andrei said it was fake, but it sounds credible to me.

This part made me laugh:

We are listening to Muse on the radio, “By The Sword” on Slash’s solo album is now on air. While Andreï stands up to switch to another station, Axl stops him and says “No, leave it. I love this song”.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

17 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

From such an illustrious beginning to...cash grab, tragic really.

I gotta admit though, if Axl was in top form vocally I wouldn't even be bitcing all that much. At least then there'd be something enjoyable. But as it is it's just sad.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This part made me laugh:

We are listening to Muse on the radio, “By The Sword” on Slash’s solo album is now on air. While Andreï stands up to switch to another station, Axl stops him and says “No, leave it. I love this song”.

I found an old thread from 2012 discussing this article, and I see most people then thought the whole story was made up

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/191612-axl-and-dj-backstage-story/

It's funny reading this now, especially the reasons for which some people were pretty sure it was fake, like "Axl would never talk about Slash like that and never like By The Sword" 

4 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

It probably works both ways and I don't think it's about "not having the balls". Slash and Duff are business savvy, and Fernando is not as knowledgeable and competent, so they can get him do things they want - not things like new music that are not up to Fernando, but things that have to do with the tour, for example - and then they let him do his thing with the merch. Other than that, they have no reason to interfere with Axl's "family affairs."

The bigger question for me is why Axl allows this. I don't mean Fernando's behaviour so much, but his "Q&A's with the fans" themselves. The discord thing most likely happened behind Axl's back, but the Reddit thing... One would think that Axl wouldn't like Fernando giving ambiguous answers and half-promises about future plans.

4 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

So true. Especially because they were always so proud of themselves for not putting up with Axl's shit in the mid 90's. But now anything goes apparently.

In the years before they became proud - especially in the UYI - they made compromises and put up with things. Then Slash decided he didn't want to compromise and do things Axl's way, and left. If the band had ended there and then, and Axl didn't continue with it, maybe the reunion could have happened under different terms (and probably it would have happened sooner). But Axl did continue and that created a reality of 20 years that can't be completely overturned; and Slash and Duff, being realistic, are aware of this. So things are now kind of where they were in 1992 as far as the dynamics go, with the difference being that Slash and Duff got into it knowing what they would have to deal with (including Axl's "family management", which is another reality); and since there are no things like late starts and cancellations, they're fine with it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It probably works both ways and I don't think it's about "not having the balls". Slash and Duff are business savvy, and Fernando is not as knowledgeable and competent, so they can get him do things they want - not things like new music that are not up to Fernando, but things that have to do with the tour, for example - and then they let him do his thing with the merch. Other than that, they have no reason to interfere with Axl's "family affairs."

The bigger question for me is why Axl allows this. I don't mean Fernando's behaviour so much, but his "Q&A's with the fans" themselves. The discord thing most likely happened behind Axl's back, but the Reddit thing... One would think that Axl wouldn't like Fernando giving ambiguous answers and half-promises about future plans.

In the years before they became proud - especially in the UYI - they made compromises and put up with things. Then Slash decided he didn't want to compromise and do things Axl's way, and left. If the band had ended there and then, and Axl didn't continue with it, maybe the reunion could have happened under different terms (and probably it would have happened sooner). But Axl did continue and that created a reality of 20 years that can't be completely overturned; and Slash and Duff, being realistic, are aware of this. So things are now kind of where they were in 1992 as far as the dynamics go, with the difference being that Slash and Duff got into it knowing what they would have to deal with (including Axl's "family management", which is another reality); and since there are no things like late starts and cancellations, they're fine with it.

The very fact that Axl's "family affairs" are so intertwined with this band is the root of the problem. Obviously Slash and Duff can't erase two decades and demand to be "equal" with Axl instantly but I get the feeling they're not really at liberty to say anything whereas in the 90's at least they were not afraid to speak up despite the compromises behind the scenes. They're just 'yes men' for whatever reason. In my opinion they're not fine with how the band is run. 

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1