"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

Not sure if this has been discussed already. But Metallica have hooked up with some heavy venture capitalists to form a music publishing company. They say that they intend to have a focus on hard rock catalogues. They intend to buy up, or rent, artists publishing rights for a lump sum payment.

Axl shares his publishing with BMG. In theory BMG could sell its shares of Axls publishing to Metallica! 

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

100% true for me. I remember back when the NITL Tour started, I thought we'd at least get one single out of the deal. I went to 3 shows and truly enjoyed myself, but I was hoping that forward progression would occur after they lapped the world. As soon as they started lining up a ton more dates with zero communication about the future, I started to get a sinking feeling. Once I came to the realization that this whole thing was a soulless cash grab, I was just so bummed. 

That's another big thing for me. All the big talk Slash & Duff put out ultimately meant nothing because now they just submit to Axl's way of doing things, sleep walk through shows, cash a check and move on. 

It really is. I know you're a newer fan but just imagine having watched this all develop from the very beginning. 

If you could go back in time to catch up with me walking into the shows I went to in 91, 92 and 93, you would NEVER have got me to believe that GN'R would end this way. 

I know, I do think about how most people here have been following GNR from the beginning and the disappointment and frustration you must have felt along the way.  Also still waiting for that last drop or two...hopefully. 

23 minutes ago, soon said:

Not sure if this has been discussed already. But Metallica have hooked up with some heavy venture capitalists to form a music publishing company. They say that they intend to have a focus on hard rock catalogues. They intend to buy up, or rent, artists publishing rights for a lump sum payment.

Axl shares his publishing with BMG. In theory BMG could sell its shares of Axls publishing to Metallica! 

I think it's UMG he shares his publishing with. I guess Axl would have a say about this and a way of preventing his music from being owned by James Hetfield and Lars :lol:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think it's UMG he shares his publishing with. I guess Axl would have a say about this and a way of preventing his music from being owned by James Hetfield and Lars :lol:

I sure hope you are right that UMG would honour Axls wishes! I think that would be a bit too much for our boy :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Walapino said:

Just a random question, is Axl still at odds with the Metallica guys? its been a while since that tour collapsed back in 92. Im fan of both bands!

I think he's cool with Lars. Lars was supposed to be in the "Better" video. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Walapino said:

Just a random question, is Axl still at odds with the Metallica guys? its been a while since that tour collapsed back in 92. Im fan of both bands!

I think Lars guested on a song maybe 10/15 years ago? Out Ta Get Me I think?

36 minutes ago, axlvai said:

A bluray from Guns n Metallica from 1992. 

Easy maney!

How are those shows viewed in general?  I don't remember people talking about them recently, and I'm not into live shows so I don't have a collection of live stuff.  I don't think I've  even heard anything from that tour. I think when the shows were actually happening, fans were shitting on one of the 2 bands... Like Metallica fans said GnR was doing a shit set and vice versa.    I remember how bad I wanted to see Guns/Metallica with Body Count opening! But that ticket didn't last long, it was like the 3rd show with B/C when St. Louis happened and that particular lineup ended.   

That would have been a really cool show to catch.  Later down the line I went to Pantera/Zombie with the Ramones opening, probably my favorite single show of all time.  Super shows where you like every band are not super common for me.

14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

How are those shows viewed in general?  I don't remember people talking about them recently, and I'm not into live shows so I don't have a collection of live stuff.  I don't think I've  even heard anything from that tour. I think when the shows were actually happening, fans were shitting on one of the 2 bands... Like Metallica fans said GnR was doing a shit set and vice versa.    I remember how bad I wanted to see Guns/Metallica with Body Count opening! But that ticket didn't last long, it was like the 3rd show with B/C when St. Louis happened and that particular lineup ended.   

That would have been a really cool show to catch.  Later down the line I went to Pantera/Zombie with the Ramones opening, probably my favorite single show of all time.  Super shows where you like every band are not super common for me.

Always have been that kind of haters... but that shows were a success!!! The ppl who bought the tickets liked both bands. Remember that 2 bands was the biggest in that time. 

Due to coravinus spikes all over the place and maybe a surge in winter it is looking likely that there will be no concerts in 2021 either (hope I am wrong).

Fernando gets a raw deal and seems to get the blame for everything.  Alan Niven, after steering the band to 'the greatest rock band in the world'; sacked, Doug Goldstein who gave his everthing; sacked and then the rest of them.  Sounds as though it may be a precarious role within the music machine.  Also it can be more difficult when blending a family with the company, balancing family relationships with the great demands of work.   Just a thought.

20 hours ago, Carburetta said:

On You’re Crazy (1986 Sound City Sessions Appetite for Destruction) you hear Axl say the words “Let me explain” just as the song starts, hadn’t noticed it before and thought it was cool.

That’s a cool version. To me Lies You’re Crazy is Guns at their best. That is a top shelf song. The band kills it and it’s some of Axl’s best vocals.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Just listened to Rocket Queen from Houston 2016. Excellent - really firing on all cylinders.

To have a pro shot/soundboard of this part of the tour would be perfect.

i really hope the rumor of a NITL Live release is true. If thats the case i hope they use this and other good Axl performance.. but i see, i wrote two times "i hope", i forget we are talkin about Guns N' Roses :-( They even can't upload YouTube Videos.

43 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

i really hope the rumor of a NITL Live release is true. If thats the case i hope they use this and other good Axl performance.. but i see, i wrote two times "i hope", i forget we are talkin about Guns N' Roses :-( They even can't upload YouTube Videos.

Fernando confirmed recently on Reddit multiple shows that multiple shows were filmed with one for release this year. Someone then followed up with it potentially being the Dodger stadium gig and apparently that wasn’t the show being considered at that time.

Plans change etc but it was from him direct that a show would be out.