Jump to content

"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.


Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, zigzagbigbag said:

Since I am only active on this forum I do not know but really do wonder if 

a) Fernando is also hated on other forums/social media or just on mygnr

and

b) if (especially) Slash and Duff are aware of their manager’s behavior? Do they just close their eyes or is it really possible that they don’t know?

Does anyone know? 

I think they're resigned to it. Anything for the $. Slash and Duff are just puppets now, playing by Axl's rules. And the golden rule is we're in it for the money, fuck the fans. Duff and Slash are going along with it. They don't have the balls to say anything.

Edited by Sisyphus
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting a Use Your Illusion tattoo since I was 14 years old and today, after 5 years, I finally did it! I think it turned out great and couldn’t be happier with it!

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence? It's one thing to be a touring nostalgia band, that's fine, but the attitude in his responses to fans has actually made m

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

I think they're resigned to it. Anything for the $. Slash and Duff are just puppets now, playing by Axl's rules. And the golden rule is we're in it for the money, fuck the fans. Duff and Slash are going along with it. They don't have the balls to say anything.

To me, that's the saddest aspect of the "reunion".

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

To me, that's the saddest aspect of the "reunion".

So true. Especially because they were always so proud of themselves for not putting up with Axl's shit in the mid 90's. But now anything goes apparently.

  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

^^^

One of those stories:

http://www.radiometal.com/article/behind-the-scenes-the-other-axl-rose,78375

Andrei said it was fake, but it sounds credible to me.

 

This part made me laugh:

We are listening to Muse on the radio, “By The Sword” on Slash’s solo album is now on air. While Andreï stands up to switch to another station, Axl stops him and says “No, leave it. I love this song”.

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

From such an illustrious beginning to...cash grab, tragic really.

I gotta admit though, if Axl was in top form vocally I wouldn't even be bitcing all that much. At least then there'd be something enjoyable. But as it is it's just sad.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This part made me laugh:

We are listening to Muse on the radio, “By The Sword” on Slash’s solo album is now on air. While Andreï stands up to switch to another station, Axl stops him and says “No, leave it. I love this song”.

I found an old thread from 2012 discussing this article, and I see most people then thought the whole story was made up

http://www.mygnrforum.com/topic/191612-axl-and-dj-backstage-story/

It's funny reading this now, especially the reasons for which some people were pretty sure it was fake, like "Axl would never talk about Slash like that and never like By The Sword" 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

I think they're resigned to it. Anything for the $. Slash and Duff are just puppets now, playing by Axl's rules. And the golden rule is we're in it for the money, fuck the fans. Duff and Slash are going along with it. They don't have the balls to say anything.

It probably works both ways and I don't think it's about "not having the balls". Slash and Duff are business savvy, and Fernando is not as knowledgeable and competent, so they can get him do things they want - not things like new music that are not up to Fernando, but things that have to do with the tour, for example - and then they let him do his thing with the merch. Other than that, they have no reason to interfere with Axl's "family affairs."

The bigger question for me is why Axl allows this. I don't mean Fernando's behaviour so much, but his "Q&A's with the fans" themselves. The discord thing most likely happened behind Axl's back, but the Reddit thing... One would think that Axl wouldn't like Fernando giving ambiguous answers and half-promises about future plans.

4 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

So true. Especially because they were always so proud of themselves for not putting up with Axl's shit in the mid 90's. But now anything goes apparently.

In the years before they became proud - especially in the UYI - they made compromises and put up with things. Then Slash decided he didn't want to compromise and do things Axl's way, and left. If the band had ended there and then, and Axl didn't continue with it, maybe the reunion could have happened under different terms (and probably it would have happened sooner). But Axl did continue and that created a reality of 20 years that can't be completely overturned; and Slash and Duff, being realistic, are aware of this. So things are now kind of where they were in 1992 as far as the dynamics go, with the difference being that Slash and Duff got into it knowing what they would have to deal with (including Axl's "family management", which is another reality); and since there are no things like late starts and cancellations, they're fine with it.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It probably works both ways and I don't think it's about "not having the balls". Slash and Duff are business savvy, and Fernando is not as knowledgeable and competent, so they can get him do things they want - not things like new music that are not up to Fernando, but things that have to do with the tour, for example - and then they let him do his thing with the merch. Other than that, they have no reason to interfere with Axl's "family affairs."

The bigger question for me is why Axl allows this. I don't mean Fernando's behaviour so much, but his "Q&A's with the fans" themselves. The discord thing most likely happened behind Axl's back, but the Reddit thing... One would think that Axl wouldn't like Fernando giving ambiguous answers and half-promises about future plans.

In the years before they became proud - especially in the UYI - they made compromises and put up with things. Then Slash decided he didn't want to compromise and do things Axl's way, and left. If the band had ended there and then, and Axl didn't continue with it, maybe the reunion could have happened under different terms (and probably it would have happened sooner). But Axl did continue and that created a reality of 20 years that can't be completely overturned; and Slash and Duff, being realistic, are aware of this. So things are now kind of where they were in 1992 as far as the dynamics go, with the difference being that Slash and Duff got into it knowing what they would have to deal with (including Axl's "family management", which is another reality); and since there are no things like late starts and cancellations, they're fine with it.

The very fact that Axl's "family affairs" are so intertwined with this band is the root of the problem. Obviously Slash and Duff can't erase two decades and demand to be "equal" with Axl instantly but I get the feeling they're not really at liberty to say anything whereas in the 90's at least they were not afraid to speak up despite the compromises behind the scenes. They're just 'yes men' for whatever reason. In my opinion they're not fine with how the band is run. 

Edited by Sisyphus
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been discussed already. But Metallica have hooked up with some heavy venture capitalists to form a music publishing company. They say that they intend to have a focus on hard rock catalogues. They intend to buy up, or rent, artists publishing rights for a lump sum payment.

Axl shares his publishing with BMG. In theory BMG could sell its shares of Axls publishing to Metallica! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

100% true for me. I remember back when the NITL Tour started, I thought we'd at least get one single out of the deal. I went to 3 shows and truly enjoyed myself, but I was hoping that forward progression would occur after they lapped the world. As soon as they started lining up a ton more dates with zero communication about the future, I started to get a sinking feeling. Once I came to the realization that this whole thing was a soulless cash grab, I was just so bummed. 

That's another big thing for me. All the big talk Slash & Duff put out ultimately meant nothing because now they just submit to Axl's way of doing things, sleep walk through shows, cash a check and move on. 

It really is. I know you're a newer fan but just imagine having watched this all develop from the very beginning. 

If you could go back in time to catch up with me walking into the shows I went to in 91, 92 and 93, you would NEVER have got me to believe that GN'R would end this way. 

I know, I do think about how most people here have been following GNR from the beginning and the disappointment and frustration you must have felt along the way.  Also still waiting for that last drop or two...hopefully. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, soon said:

Not sure if this has been discussed already. But Metallica have hooked up with some heavy venture capitalists to form a music publishing company. They say that they intend to have a focus on hard rock catalogues. They intend to buy up, or rent, artists publishing rights for a lump sum payment.

Axl shares his publishing with BMG. In theory BMG could sell its shares of Axls publishing to Metallica! 

I think it's UMG he shares his publishing with. I guess Axl would have a say about this and a way of preventing his music from being owned by James Hetfield and Lars :lol:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think it's UMG he shares his publishing with. I guess Axl would have a say about this and a way of preventing his music from being owned by James Hetfield and Lars :lol:

I sure hope you are right that UMG would honour Axls wishes! I think that would be a bit too much for our boy :lol:

Edited by soon
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Walapino said:

Just a random question, is Axl still at odds with the Metallica guys? its been a while since that tour collapsed back in 92. Im fan of both bands!

I think he's cool with Lars. Lars was supposed to be in the "Better" video. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Walapino said:

Just a random question, is Axl still at odds with the Metallica guys? its been a while since that tour collapsed back in 92. Im fan of both bands!

I think Lars guested on a song maybe 10/15 years ago? Out Ta Get Me I think?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, axlvai said:

A bluray from Guns n Metallica from 1992. 

 

Easy maney!

How are those shows viewed in general?  I don't remember people talking about them recently, and I'm not into live shows so I don't have a collection of live stuff.  I don't think I've  even heard anything from that tour. I think when the shows were actually happening, fans were shitting on one of the 2 bands... Like Metallica fans said GnR was doing a shit set and vice versa.    I remember how bad I wanted to see Guns/Metallica with Body Count opening! But that ticket didn't last long, it was like the 3rd show with B/C when St. Louis happened and that particular lineup ended.   

That would have been a really cool show to catch.  Later down the line I went to Pantera/Zombie with the Ramones opening, probably my favorite single show of all time.  Super shows where you like every band are not super common for me.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

How are those shows viewed in general?  I don't remember people talking about them recently, and I'm not into live shows so I don't have a collection of live stuff.  I don't think I've  even heard anything from that tour. I think when the shows were actually happening, fans were shitting on one of the 2 bands... Like Metallica fans said GnR was doing a shit set and vice versa.    I remember how bad I wanted to see Guns/Metallica with Body Count opening! But that ticket didn't last long, it was like the 3rd show with B/C when St. Louis happened and that particular lineup ended.   

That would have been a really cool show to catch.  Later down the line I went to Pantera/Zombie with the Ramones opening, probably my favorite single show of all time.  Super shows where you like every band are not super common for me.

 

Always have been that kind of haters... but that shows were a success!!! The ppl who bought the tickets liked both bands. Remember that 2 bands was the biggest in that time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...