"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 9/27/2020 at 2:17 AM, BigVanVader said:

Honest question.  When was the last release that Axl seemed fully invested in?  Use Your Illusion?  TSI?  Maybe Live Era?  

Had the record company not botched the release from defective vinyls, lack of variant covers, mistakes in booklet and who knows what else he of course would have been fully invested in Chinese but the fallout meant he wasn’t as much as he should have been. 

It would have to be UYI - he must have been invested in Live Era to a point (overdubs/new vocals) but no interviews etc as it was ‘old band’.

On 9/25/2020 at 4:26 PM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I actually really dig Scraped

I do too.

On 9/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, DTJ80 said:

There is some really good riffs and bits dragged down by the awful intro/harmony vocals

I'm trying to learn this song on the guitar. I think Bucket's outro is pretty good, even if it's the most obvious comped/patched solo of the album IMO. 

On 9/28/2020 at 10:32 PM, StayofExecution2020 said:

Chinese

He was fully in the release of Chinese democracy ? Christ I’d hate to see him half arsing it then. 

Anyway, I’m listening to the UYI albums on a Friday night and drinking because covid in Ireland won’t fuck and is rising again and I have to say they really did get the order of songs right. I love how UYI I starts with right next door to hell and the whole vibe of the first part of the first album is more an AFD vibe(I’m sure I’ve read that was on purpose) and then you get the slow change into UYI II which had the UYI era band stayed together and released an album it would have would have continued the same vibe as UYI II if not an exact copy. 

On 9/28/2020 at 8:05 PM, Voodoochild said:

I do too.

I'm trying to learn this song on the guitar. I think Bucket's outro is pretty good, even if it's the most obvious comped/patched solo of the album IMO. 

I like it a lot. The doubled over vocals with the chorus makes it hard to sing along to but very catchy. And when they did those 20 second teaser clips leading up to the Chinese release, the one where they used the intro to Scraped and ended with "dont you try to stop us now" was the best of the bunch.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2020 at 7:48 AM, uzi your illusion said:

I like it a lot. The doubled over vocals with the chorus makes it hard to sing along to but very catchy. And when they did those 20 second teaser clips leading up to the Chinese release, the one where they used the intro to Scraped and ended with "dont you try to stop us now" was the best of the bunch.

It was indeed. But I think it's also because we didn't know anything about Scraped back then, so it got us pretty pumped.

58 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It was indeed. But I think it's also because we didn't know anything about Scraped back then, so it got us pretty pumped.

You couldn't be more right. It was SO new that it did stand out. 

Similar to how that opening to Better was received before Axl kicks in with that amazing first verse. I love that thin line between where it sounds like it could go off the rails and where it neatly falls into the comfort zone of amazing hard rock. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

You couldn't be more right. It was SO new that it did stand out. 

Similar to how that opening to Better was received before Axl kicks in with that amazing first verse. I love that thin line between where it sounds like it could go off the rails and where it neatly falls into the comfort zone of amazing hard rock. 

That's exactly how I felt too with Better. I remember too well when that snippet leaked. Honest to god, I was in tears when I heard his voice back.

On 10/11/2020 at 3:48 AM, uzi your illusion said:

Dude that definitely takes me back ha yes I remember being sooo pumped with that Scraped teaser.  The vocal intro is really epic and the intro I think definitely does kick ass.  That was the song I was so pumped to hear - and I think it was the first one I skipped to when the album leaked with all the watermarked skipping on it :lol:

Nowadays Scraped isn't necessarily a song I jam out to much just because I wish it rocked through the entire song as much as it rocks in the last 20-30 seconds, to me the energy level just isn't quite up to what I wish Scraped was

17 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

I believe today marks 10 years that Duff randomly showed up on stage for YCBM. As far as I'm concerned, the defining moment that got the ball rolling that lead to Slash's reconnecting with Axl. 

Holy shit I didn't realise.

I was at that gig and it was one of the most surreal moments I've ever seen. Me and some random dude just started shouting in each other's face :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I wish that never happened

Genuinely? 

I'm less than happy with the state of the band at the moment, but I am glad the whole NITL thing happened, in general.

If it hadn't happened the only thing that would be different now is that GNR would be touring with a different lineup and tickets would be cheaper. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nesret said:

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against Slash and Duff. Pretty sure I'm the minority camp here, but CD is my most favourite record of all time :-) For me personally, the NuGNR-era was the most interesting and fascinating, with all it's weirdness. I loved the leaks a lot and I always wished there would have been more records like CD. Of course I love AFD and UYI I&II, i will always listen to these albums. It's just that CD had the greatest impact on me and I'll always love it to death! :-) At least in my case, that's why I wish it never happened. Still happy for those who enjoy the Reunion-era though!

I'm with you on CD- I think it's incredible. Definitely in my top 5 albums of all time. Possibly even my favourite. I loved the era around it, the live shows, everything. 

But having said that, where would we be now if the reunion hadn't happened? That band wouldn't have gone on to release the great albums I knew they were capable of, the situation would have been exactly the same, (endless touring) with the only difference being it wouldn't have cost a small fortune to go and see them play. 

The reunion at least brought something different (i.e. a chance to see the old members play together) for a while, which I'm grateful for. That nu-gnr band still playing wouldn't have brought anything different again. At least this way we got to see some new things. Obviously it's over now really as an interesting thing, but at least for a few years things got shaken up.