"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

15 minutes ago, Nesret said:

I totally get what you are saying, and unfortunately, you're right that the Nu-GNR band wouldn't have brought anything new to the table anyway, there was only the illusion of hope. As a CD-fanboy, I guess it just sucks knowing that the probability for a CDII is definitely around zero by now. :shrugs:

I have a feeling most of CD2 will be the next GN'R album, with parts re-worked or re-recorded by the current lineup.

Perhaps in the future, we will get CD2 as it existed before the reunion lineup as a bonus for a CD 20th or 30th anniversary, though the public interest in such a thing is probably not high, it would be for the hardcore fans.  I imagine a digital download of that wouldn't be difficult for them, assuming they save older mixes in a format that can be fit for release. But of course, this is GN'R we're talking about. 

16 minutes ago, Nesret said:

I totally get what you are saying, and unfortunately, you're right that the Nu-GNR band wouldn't have brought anything new to the table anyway, there was only the illusion of hope. As a CD-fanboy, I guess it just sucks knowing that the probability for a CDII is definitely around zero by now. :shrugs:

maybe, but I think some of the unreleased tunes from that era will be a part of a new Gn'R album if Axl will ever get around to releasing new music. You don't just abandon a great song just because it's old/from a different era so maybe it will be reworked "CD ll" material with new stuff, maybe even a double album.

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Perhaps in the future, we will get CD2 as it existed before the reunion lineup as a bonus for a CD 20th or 30th anniversary, though the public interest in such a thing is probably not high, it would be for the hardcore fans.  I imagine a digital download of that wouldn't be difficult for them, assuming they save older mixes in a format that can be fit for release. But of course, this is GN'R we're talking about. 

just a wild guess here but any bonus album, released digitally, not as a real part of the catalog could be viewed by Axl as something that will detract from it. I could be wrong but I don't see Axl choosing to release music this way. He barely releases main albums maybe cause it's gotta be great, a musical statement that reflects the current band. Such a release for the fans (again not his style) would be great for us but maybe not be such a good idea in Axl's opinion. Just speculatin' here.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nesret said:

Yeah I get that totally. In an ideal world we'd still get those recordings.....but GNR world is far from ideal, sadly. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I have a feeling most of CD2 will be the next GN'R album, with parts re-worked or re-recorded by the current lineup.

Not that I wouldn’t want to get my hands on that material, but I don’t see this happening, not this way. Why? Because if this was the way Axl released it, he would basically say “well, this is the other part of my solo endeavour of whatever, and it’s not worth any proper promotion or anything like that, so here you are, hard core fans, and anyway, let’s get back to the proper GN’R; sorry for the disruption, you casuals, the “real GNR” fans, let’s go”…
CD was his opus magnum, no matter what the final mix was supposed to sound like. He wouldn’t degrade his old baby this way. Renewed friendship with Slash or not, this is a huge part of his integrity, something he fought for against – and in spite of – the rest of the world. 
I would be very, very surprised if he just threw this out like some sort of stinking leftovers bonus and then just got back to the main line, going “sorry for having burped sideways”. You know what I mean?

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Not that I wouldn’t want to get my hands on that material, but I don’t see this happening, not this way. Why? Because if this was the way Axl released it, he would basically say “well, this is the other part of my solo endeavour of whatever, and it’s not worth any proper promotion or anything like that, so here you are, hard core fans, and anyway, let’s get back to the proper GN’R; sorry for the disruption, you casuals, the “real GNR” fans, let’s go”…
CD was his opus magnum, no matter what the final mix was supposed to sound like. He wouldn’t degrade his old baby this way. Renewed friendship with Slash or not, this is a huge part of his integrity, something he fought for against – and in spite of – the rest of the world. 
I would be very, very surprised if he just threw this out like some sort of stinking bonus leftovers and then just got back to the main line, going “sorry for having burped sideways”. You know what I mean?

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I would be very, very surprised if he just threw this out like some sort of stinking leftovers bonus and then just got back to the main line, going “sorry for having burped sideways”. You know what I mean?

plus it's also a waste of good material that can be a real part of the next Gn'R album. I don't think Axl views the unreleased material as leftovers but more of something he can still use. Slash and Duff can probably make most of the material sound more like Guns anyway. This is an advantage if you're trying to make a Gn'R album. Also I think fuckin' with past releases is disgusting in general and rarely works like Let It Be Naked by The Beatles did and Chinese has a good mastering so I say leave it the way it is and move forward by using what you can from the unreleased material.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

plus it's also a waste of good material that can be a real part of the next Gn'R album. I don't think Axl views the unreleased material as leftovers but more of something he can still use. Slash and Duff can probably make most of the material sound more like Guns anyway. This is an advantage if you're trying to make a Gn'R album. Also I think fuckin' with past releases is disgusting in general and rarely works like Let It Be Naked by The Beatles did and Chinese has a good mastering so I say leave it the way it is and move forward by using what you can from the unreleased material.

I agree, however I was talking from a standpoint of a potential special big box release of CD era stuff well after the new album is released.  So it would be earlier versions of songs on the eventual new album, but as they were with the old CD lineup. Releasing it prior to a new album that heavily uses CD2 material, I agree that wouldn't be in their best interest.

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Genuinely? 

I'm less than happy with the state of the band at the moment, but I am glad the whole NITL thing happened, in general.

If it hadn't happened the only thing that would be different now is that GNR would be touring with a different lineup and tickets would be cheaper. 

Yeah, I'm serious. At the start it was exciting, the build up, the what ifs, who's in the band etc. I loved it! I hadn't seen GNR since 1993 so i got tickets to both nights in London, both nights were fun but they were far from great. Axl's vocals were awful to my ears.and his voice was what initially drew me to the band. 

If Slash hadn't returned i'd have more new music from him which means more gigs. I'm really happy for the younger fans who never got to see them before but i'll stick with the 'old band' 

I hate CD btw :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Genuinely? 

I'm less than happy with the state of the band at the moment, but I am glad the whole NITL thing happened, in general.

If it hadn't happened the only thing that would be different now is that GNR would be touring with a different lineup and tickets would be cheaper. 

Disagree, I think we’d have had an album by 2018. 

For me, I wish the reunion never happened. Would have preferred Robin and Bucket back

Edited by gavgnr

42 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Yeah, I'm serious. At the start it was exciting, the build up, the what ifs, who's in the band etc. I loved it! I hadn't seen GNR since 1993 so i got tickets to both nights in London, both nights were fun but they were far from great. Axl's vocals were awful to my ears.and his voice was what initially drew me to the band. 

If Slash hadn't returned i'd have more new music from him which means more gigs. I'm really happy for the younger fans who never got to see them before but i'll stick with the 'old band' 

Ah ok, so you weren't fussed by Nu-GNR either? You wish they just hadn't tried to do it past the 90s full stop? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Disagree, I think we’d have had an album by 2018. 

For me, I wish the reunion never happened. Would have preferred Robin and Bucket back

I really don't think we would have, but we'll never know. 

I'm quite surprised actually that people wish the reunion had never happened. I was a huge fan of Nu-GNR but I'm still really glad it happened. I'm not happy with the way it's been flogged to death and beyond of course, but that's a different matter. 

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I really don't think we would have, but we'll never know. 

^THIS

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm quite surprised actually that people wish the reunion had never happened.

almost scandalous that the founding band members got back together, aren't it.

:crazy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Your next post will be 6,666th, by the way. Just saying...

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I was at the 2nd night and I was buzzing afterwards - really enjoyed it. The weekend was just great - super gig, scorching weather etc.

I have seen footage back and yeah vocally it’s not brilliant.....but it’s not awful - it’s pretty good...IMO. Certainly better than late 2017-2019!!

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

However, I just have to add that to me, the optimum mixture would be 1/2 of the new record being a new material (from 2015 on), 1/4 old stuff dating back to the golden years, and 1/4 of reworked CD material. This way, Axl could gradually make his solo ideas come to fruition (I'm one of those crazy people who think that there will be more than one album) without making every record just a revamped NuGuns music (Slash wouldn't stand for any such nonsense anyway). 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EricA said:

almost scandalous that the founding band members got back together, aren't it.

:crazy:

Slash and Duff are not founding members, but besides that I agree with you. It's insane how anyone would prefer the god afwul 2011-2014 era to NITL (at least 2016-2017 NITL). I would understand it compared to 2009-2010, though.

They should've done something different for 2018 (new album, a blu-ray, new setlist, something), these last 3 years kind of ruined the reunion for me. I LOVED 2016 more than any other year being a GNR fan, but it's been shit (and probably shittier than 2011-2014 GNR) since then.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Slash and Duff are not founding members

nitpicking :lol:

thanks for the advice.

"original band members, counted from the first successful release, aka AfD and the start of their career"

better?

Edited by EricA

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

However, I just have to add that to me, the optimum mixture would be 1/2 of the new record being a new material (from 2015 on), 1/4 old stuff dating back to the golden years, and 1/4 of reworked CD material. This way, Axl could gradually make his solo ideas come to fruition (I'm one of those crazy people who think that there will be more than one album) without making every record just a revamped NuGuns music (Slash wouldn't stand for any such nonsense anyway). 

You're one of those crazy people who think there will even be one album! 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

the way I see it, ideally, it will be a double album that covers all eras of the band and combining it to form a cohesive sound that will be, as always, an evolution but will be a little more balanced compared to Chinese. I believe the current line up can achieve this given enough time and focus. Duff and Slash are a unit. Axl got material, Slash can be positively influenced by Axl to work hard and really nail his guitar parts and the rest of the lineup is talented enough imo to make it happen.

thing is, I don't think Axl looks at any given year and says to himself "it's 2021, gotta complete and release an album this year". I believe that if it's done and he likes it and there's a good enough plan to release it, he'll pull the trigger but not before both of these things happen.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1