"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

58 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

It was indeed. But I think it's also because we didn't know anything about Scraped back then, so it got us pretty pumped.

You couldn't be more right. It was SO new that it did stand out. 

Similar to how that opening to Better was received before Axl kicks in with that amazing first verse. I love that thin line between where it sounds like it could go off the rails and where it neatly falls into the comfort zone of amazing hard rock. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting a Use Your Illusion tattoo since I was 14 years old and today, after 5 years, I finally did it! I think it turned out great and couldn’t be happier with it!

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence? It's one thing to be a touring nostalgia band, that's fine, but the attitude in his responses to fans has actually made m

Posted Images

1 hour ago, uzi your illusion said:

You couldn't be more right. It was SO new that it did stand out. 

Similar to how that opening to Better was received before Axl kicks in with that amazing first verse. I love that thin line between where it sounds like it could go off the rails and where it neatly falls into the comfort zone of amazing hard rock. 

That's exactly how I felt too with Better. I remember too well when that snippet leaked. Honest to god, I was in tears when I heard his voice back.

• Like 1
On 10/11/2020 at 3:48 AM, uzi your illusion said:

I like it a lot. The doubled over vocals with the chorus makes it hard to sing along to but very catchy. And when they did those 20 second teaser clips leading up to the Chinese release, the one where they used the intro to Scraped and ended with "dont you try to stop us now" was the best of the bunch.

Dude that definitely takes me back ha yes I remember being sooo pumped with that Scraped teaser.  The vocal intro is really epic and the intro I think definitely does kick ass.  That was the song I was so pumped to hear - and I think it was the first one I skipped to when the album leaked with all the watermarked skipping on it :lol:

Nowadays Scraped isn't necessarily a song I jam out to much just because I wish it rocked through the entire song as much as it rocks in the last 20-30 seconds, to me the energy level just isn't quite up to what I wish Scraped was

I believe today marks 10 years that Duff randomly showed up on stage for YCBM. As far as I'm concerned, the defining moment that got the ball rolling that lead to Slash's reconnecting with Axl. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

I believe today marks 10 years that Duff randomly showed up on stage for YCBM. As far as I'm concerned, the defining moment that got the ball rolling that lead to Slash's reconnecting with Axl. 

I wish that never happened

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
17 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

Holy shit I didn't realise.

I was at that gig and it was one of the most surreal moments I've ever seen. Me and some random dude just started shouting in each other's face :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
16 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Holy shit I didn't realise.

I was at that gig and it was one of the most surreal moments I've ever seen. Me and some random dude just started shouting in each other's face :lol:

great moments.

I can imagine your joy!!

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I wish that never happened

Genuinely? 

I'm less than happy with the state of the band at the moment, but I am glad the whole NITL thing happened, in general.

If it hadn't happened the only thing that would be different now is that GNR would be touring with a different lineup and tickets would be cheaper. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Again, how come? I'm really interested in why people would have preferred it if they had never come back. 

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against Slash and Duff. Pretty sure I'm the minority camp here, but CD is my most favourite record of all time :-) For me personally, the NuGNR-era was the most interesting and fascinating, with all it's weirdness. I loved the leaks a lot and I always wished there would have been more records like CD. Of course I love AFD and UYI I&II, i will always listen to these albums. It's just that CD had the greatest impact on me and I'll always love it to death! :-) At least in my case, that's why I wish it never happened. Still happy for those who enjoy the Reunion-era though!

10 minutes ago, Nesret said:

Don't get me wrong, I got nothing against Slash and Duff. Pretty sure I'm the minority camp here, but CD is my most favourite record of all time :-) For me personally, the NuGNR-era was the most interesting and fascinating, with all it's weirdness. I loved the leaks a lot and I always wished there would have been more records like CD. Of course I love AFD and UYI I&II, i will always listen to these albums. It's just that CD had the greatest impact on me and I'll always love it to death! :-) At least in my case, that's why I wish it never happened. Still happy for those who enjoy the Reunion-era though!

I'm with you on CD- I think it's incredible. Definitely in my top 5 albums of all time. Possibly even my favourite. I loved the era around it, the live shows, everything. 

But having said that, where would we be now if the reunion hadn't happened? That band wouldn't have gone on to release the great albums I knew they were capable of, the situation would have been exactly the same, (endless touring) with the only difference being it wouldn't have cost a small fortune to go and see them play. 

The reunion at least brought something different (i.e. a chance to see the old members play together) for a while, which I'm grateful for. That nu-gnr band still playing wouldn't have brought anything different again. At least this way we got to see some new things. Obviously it's over now really as an interesting thing, but at least for a few years things got shaken up. 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm with you on CD- I think it's incredible. Definitely in my top 5 albums of all time. Possibly even my favourite. I loved the era around it, the live shows, everything. 

But having said that, where would we be now if the reunion hadn't happened? That band wouldn't have gone on to release the great albums I knew they were capable of, the situation would have been exactly the same, (endless touring) with the only difference being it wouldn't have cost a small fortune to go and see them play. 

The reunion at least brought something different (i.e. a chance to see the old members play together) for a while, which I'm grateful for. That nu-gnr band still playing wouldn't have brought anything different again. At least this way we got to see some new things. Obviously it's over now really as an interesting thing, but at least for a few years things got shaken up. 

I totally get what you are saying, and unfortunately, you're right that the Nu-GNR band wouldn't have brought anything new to the table anyway, there was only the illusion of hope. As a CD-fanboy, I guess it just sucks knowing that the probability for a CDII is definitely around zero by now. :shrugs:

15 minutes ago, Nesret said:

I totally get what you are saying, and unfortunately, you're right that the Nu-GNR band wouldn't have brought anything new to the table anyway, there was only the illusion of hope. As a CD-fanboy, I guess it just sucks knowing that the probability for a CDII is definitely around zero by now. :shrugs:

I have a feeling most of CD2 will be the next GN'R album, with parts re-worked or re-recorded by the current lineup.

Perhaps in the future, we will get CD2 as it existed before the reunion lineup as a bonus for a CD 20th or 30th anniversary, though the public interest in such a thing is probably not high, it would be for the hardcore fans.  I imagine a digital download of that wouldn't be difficult for them, assuming they save older mixes in a format that can be fit for release. But of course, this is GN'R we're talking about. 

• GNFNR 1
16 minutes ago, Nesret said:

maybe, but I think some of the unreleased tunes from that era will be a part of a new Gn'R album if Axl will ever get around to releasing new music. You don't just abandon a great song just because it's old/from a different era so maybe it will be reworked "CD ll" material with new stuff, maybe even a double album.

14 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Perhaps in the future, we will get CD2 as it existed before the reunion lineup as a bonus for a CD 20th or 30th anniversary, though the public interest in such a thing is probably not high, it would be for the hardcore fans.  I imagine a digital download of that wouldn't be difficult for them, assuming they save older mixes in a format that can be fit for release. But of course, this is GN'R we're talking about. 

just a wild guess here but any bonus album, released digitally, not as a real part of the catalog could be viewed by Axl as something that will detract from it. I could be wrong but I don't see Axl choosing to release music this way. He barely releases main albums maybe cause it's gotta be great, a musical statement that reflects the current band. Such a release for the fans (again not his style) would be great for us but maybe not be such a good idea in Axl's opinion. Just speculatin' here.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Nesret said:

Yeah I get that totally. In an ideal world we'd still get those recordings.....but GNR world is far from ideal, sadly. 

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I have a feeling most of CD2 will be the next GN'R album, with parts re-worked or re-recorded by the current lineup.

Not that I wouldn’t want to get my hands on that material, but I don’t see this happening, not this way. Why? Because if this was the way Axl released it, he would basically say “well, this is the other part of my solo endeavour of whatever, and it’s not worth any proper promotion or anything like that, so here you are, hard core fans, and anyway, let’s get back to the proper GN’R; sorry for the disruption, you casuals, the “real GNR” fans, let’s go”…
CD was his opus magnum, no matter what the final mix was supposed to sound like. He wouldn’t degrade his old baby this way. Renewed friendship with Slash or not, this is a huge part of his integrity, something he fought for against – and in spite of – the rest of the world. 
I would be very, very surprised if he just threw this out like some sort of stinking leftovers bonus and then just got back to the main line, going “sorry for having burped sideways”. You know what I mean?

3 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Not that I wouldn’t want to get my hands on that material, but I don’t see this happening, not this way. Why? Because if this was the way Axl released it, he would basically say “well, this is the other part of my solo endeavour of whatever, and it’s not worth any proper promotion or anything like that, so here you are, hard core fans, and anyway, let’s get back to the proper GN’R; sorry for the disruption, you casuals, the “real GNR” fans, let’s go”…
CD was his opus magnum, no matter what the final mix was supposed to sound like. He wouldn’t degrade his old baby this way. Renewed friendship with Slash or not, this is a huge part of his integrity, something he fought for against – and in spite of – the rest of the world. 
I would be very, very surprised if he just threw this out like some sort of stinking bonus leftovers and then just got back to the main line, going “sorry for having burped sideways”. You know what I mean?

6 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I would be very, very surprised if he just threw this out like some sort of stinking leftovers bonus and then just got back to the main line, going “sorry for having burped sideways”. You know what I mean?

plus it's also a waste of good material that can be a real part of the next Gn'R album. I don't think Axl views the unreleased material as leftovers but more of something he can still use. Slash and Duff can probably make most of the material sound more like Guns anyway. This is an advantage if you're trying to make a Gn'R album. Also I think fuckin' with past releases is disgusting in general and rarely works like Let It Be Naked by The Beatles did and Chinese has a good mastering so I say leave it the way it is and move forward by using what you can from the unreleased material.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

plus it's also a waste of good material that can be a real part of the next Gn'R album. I don't think Axl views the unreleased material as leftovers but more of something he can still use. Slash and Duff can probably make most of the material sound more like Guns anyway. This is an advantage if you're trying to make a Gn'R album. Also I think fuckin' with past releases is disgusting in general and rarely works like Let It Be Naked by The Beatles did and Chinese has a good mastering so I say leave it the way it is and move forward by using what you can from the unreleased material.

I agree, however I was talking from a standpoint of a potential special big box release of CD era stuff well after the new album is released.  So it would be earlier versions of songs on the eventual new album, but as they were with the old CD lineup. Releasing it prior to a new album that heavily uses CD2 material, I agree that wouldn't be in their best interest.

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Genuinely? 

I'm less than happy with the state of the band at the moment, but I am glad the whole NITL thing happened, in general.

If it hadn't happened the only thing that would be different now is that GNR would be touring with a different lineup and tickets would be cheaper. 

Yeah, I'm serious. At the start it was exciting, the build up, the what ifs, who's in the band etc. I loved it! I hadn't seen GNR since 1993 so i got tickets to both nights in London, both nights were fun but they were far from great. Axl's vocals were awful to my ears.and his voice was what initially drew me to the band. 

If Slash hadn't returned i'd have more new music from him which means more gigs. I'm really happy for the younger fans who never got to see them before but i'll stick with the 'old band' 

I hate CD btw :lol:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Genuinely? 

Disagree, I think we’d have had an album by 2018. 

For me, I wish the reunion never happened. Would have preferred Robin and Bucket back

Edited by gavgnr
42 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Yeah, I'm serious. At the start it was exciting, the build up, the what ifs, who's in the band etc. I loved it! I hadn't seen GNR since 1993 so i got tickets to both nights in London, both nights were fun but they were far from great. Axl's vocals were awful to my ears.and his voice was what initially drew me to the band. 

If Slash hadn't returned i'd have more new music from him which means more gigs. I'm really happy for the younger fans who never got to see them before but i'll stick with the 'old band' 

I hate CD btw :lol:

Ah ok, so you weren't fussed by Nu-GNR either? You wish they just hadn't tried to do it past the 90s full stop? 

• Like 1