"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

11 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Disagree, I think we’d have had an album by 2018. 

For me, I wish the reunion never happened. Would have preferred Robin and Bucket back

I really don't think we would have, but we'll never know. 

I'm quite surprised actually that people wish the reunion had never happened. I was a huge fan of Nu-GNR but I'm still really glad it happened. I'm not happy with the way it's been flogged to death and beyond of course, but that's a different matter. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting a Use Your Illusion tattoo since I was 14 years old and today, after 5 years, I finally did it! I think it turned out great and couldn’t be happier with it!

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence? It's one thing to be a touring nostalgia band, that's fine, but the attitude in his responses to fans has actually made m

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I really don't think we would have, but we'll never know. 

^THIS

19 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'm quite surprised actually that people wish the reunion had never happened.

almost scandalous that the founding band members got back together, aren't it.

:crazy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Yeah, I'm serious. At the start it was exciting, the build up, the what ifs, who's in the band etc. I loved it! I hadn't seen GNR since 1993 so i got tickets to both nights in London, both nights were fun but they were far from great. Axl's vocals were awful to my ears.and his voice was what initially drew me to the band. 

If Slash hadn't returned i'd have more new music from him which means more gigs. I'm really happy for the younger fans who never got to see them before but i'll stick with the 'old band' 

I hate CD btw :lol:

Your next post will be 6,666th, by the way. Just saying...

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

Yeah, I'm serious. At the start it was exciting, the build up, the what ifs, who's in the band etc. I loved it! I hadn't seen GNR since 1993 so i got tickets to both nights in London, both nights were fun but they were far from great. Axl's vocals were awful to my ears.and his voice was what initially drew me to the band. 

If Slash hadn't returned i'd have more new music from him which means more gigs. I'm really happy for the younger fans who never got to see them before but i'll stick with the 'old band' 

I hate CD btw :lol:

I was at the 2nd night and I was buzzing afterwards - really enjoyed it. The weekend was just great - super gig, scorching weather etc.

I have seen footage back and yeah vocally it’s not brilliant.....but it’s not awful - it’s pretty good...IMO. Certainly better than late 2017-2019!!

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

plus it's also a waste of good material that can be a real part of the next Gn'R album. I don't think Axl views the unreleased material as leftovers but more of something he can still use. Slash and Duff can probably make most of the material sound more like Guns anyway. This is an advantage if you're trying to make a Gn'R album. Also I think fuckin' with past releases is disgusting in general and rarely works like Let It Be Naked by The Beatles did and Chinese has a good mastering so I say leave it the way it is and move forward by using what you can from the unreleased material.

However, I just have to add that to me, the optimum mixture would be 1/2 of the new record being a new material (from 2015 on), 1/4 old stuff dating back to the golden years, and 1/4 of reworked CD material. This way, Axl could gradually make his solo ideas come to fruition (I'm one of those crazy people who think that there will be more than one album) without making every record just a revamped NuGuns music (Slash wouldn't stand for any such nonsense anyway). 

Edited by jamillos
1 hour ago, EricA said:

almost scandalous that the founding band members got back together, aren't it.

:crazy:

Slash and Duff are not founding members, but besides that I agree with you. It's insane how anyone would prefer the god afwul 2011-2014 era to NITL (at least 2016-2017 NITL). I would understand it compared to 2009-2010, though.

They should've done something different for 2018 (new album, a blu-ray, new setlist, something), these last 3 years kind of ruined the reunion for me. I LOVED 2016 more than any other year being a GNR fan, but it's been shit (and probably shittier than 2011-2014 GNR) since then.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Slash and Duff are not founding members

nitpicking :lol:

thanks for the advice.

"original band members, counted from the first successful release, aka AfD and the start of their career"

better?

Edited by EricA
1 hour ago, EricA said:

nitpicking :lol:

thanks for the advice.

"original band members, counted from the first successful release, aka AfD and the start of their career"

better?

Yeah, just not founding members :P

• GNFNR 1
2 hours ago, jamillos said:

However, I just have to add that to me, the optimum mixture would be 1/2 of the new record being a new material (from 2015 on), 1/4 old stuff dating back to the golden years, and 1/4 of reworked CD material. This way, Axl could gradually make his solo ideas come to fruition (I'm one of those crazy people who think that there will be more than one album) without making every record just a revamped NuGuns music (Slash wouldn't stand for any such nonsense anyway). 

You're one of those crazy people who think there will even be one album! 

• Haha 3
3 hours ago, jamillos said:

the way I see it, ideally, it will be a double album that covers all eras of the band and combining it to form a cohesive sound that will be, as always, an evolution but will be a little more balanced compared to Chinese. I believe the current line up can achieve this given enough time and focus. Duff and Slash are a unit. Axl got material, Slash can be positively influenced by Axl to work hard and really nail his guitar parts and the rest of the lineup is talented enough imo to make it happen.

thing is, I don't think Axl looks at any given year and says to himself "it's 2021, gotta complete and release an album this year". I believe that if it's done and he likes it and there's a good enough plan to release it, he'll pull the trigger but not before both of these things happen.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I miss Gilby... 

Hate me! 

23 hours ago, Mendez said:

anyone have every 2002 and 2006 performance on video? theres was a bunch uploaded on "Scheidungsrichter" youtube channel, but it was taken down 

I REALLY want to get some fottage from Sweden 2006.. it's hard to get videos from that time...

On 10/17/2020 at 5:04 AM, Live Like a Suicide said:

I rather the band to be stagnant with Slash and Duff as members than the band to be stagnant with Stinson, Ashba and Bumblefoot as members.

I don't know why you talk bad about Tommy. Probably because he's not "original". Having him in the Band was the best choice because of his punk background and his role as The General. 

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

I don't know why you talk bad about Tommy. Probably because he's not "original". Having him in the Band was the best choice because of his punk background and his role as The General. 

Great player and an integral part of what Axl was trying to achieve. I’d also say he’s got the best solo work out of all Guns members past and present.

On 10/16/2020 at 6:58 PM, allwaystired said:

I'm quite surprised actually that people wish the reunion had never happened. 

I feared that a reunion would torpedo any possibility of getting new music from the CD sessions. I never really though a reunion would result in a new album with Slash and Duff, I considered the whole reunion thing a pure cash-grab touring event.

Now it seems like a new album is on its way, with Slash and Duff, and that is cool and I am happy to have been wrong on that. I do fear that music from the CD sessions, with Bucket, Robin, etc's contributions intact, will not see the light of day in the foreseeable future, though, and that bums me up. Whether it is worth it really depends on the quality of music that will come out.

As for the reunion shows: Slightly better than expected but nothing close to what was prime Guns N' Roses for me, back in the 80s, I am happy for people who got a kick out of seeing Slash and Axl back on stage, though. I am more into new music than nostalgia.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
21 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I feared that a reunion would torpedo any possibility of getting new music from the CD sessions. I never really though a reunion would result in a new album with Slash and Duff, I considered the whole reunion thing a pure cash-grab touring event.

Now it seems like a new album is on its way, with Slash and Duff, and that is cool and I am happy to have been wrong on that. I do fear that music from the CD sessions, with Bucket, Robin, etc's contributions intact, will not see the light of day in the foreseeable future, though, and that bums me up. Whether it is worth it really depends on the quality of music that will come out.

As for the reunion shows: Slightly better than expected but nothing close to what was prime Guns N' Roses for me, back in the 80s, I am happy for people who got a kick out of seeing Slash and Axl back on stage, though. I am more into new music than nostalgia.

When you say ‘now it seems’ are you basing it on the comments made by Slash, Duff, Susan etc or something more concrete that I have missed? FWIW I agree with you and think we will get a new album.

I wasn’t old enough to see GNR in their prime - actually got into them about 93. So I saw GNR at Leeds 2002 and Donington 2006 - when I went to the London 2017 show I was buzzing and it WAS a thrill to see Axl and Slash on stage again. But it’s now at the point where that part is done and we need to see what they have to say NOW as opposed to way back when.

37 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don’t think it would be fair to have expected the reunion to be very close to the GN’R’s prime or to compare it with that era, simply because this is 30 years later, both in terms of the protagonists’ age and the time period in general. 
The real problem was that a) it always stands or falls on Axl’s vocal form, b) it dragged on for too long – should have ended in 2017 – and with minimum changes. Combine this with the unfortunate PR and any new material taking forever, and here we are with the understandable frustration. 
Covid or not, the first show they’ll play (2022?) must be completely different, not just the same greatest hits. 

24 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I don’t think it would be fair to have expected the reunion to be very close to the GN’R’s prime or to compare it with that era, simply because this is 30 years later, both in terms of the protagonists’ age and the time period in general. 
The real problem was that a) it always stands or falls on Axl’s vocal form, b) it dragged on for too long – should have ended in 2017 – and with minimum changes. Combine this with the unfortunate PR and any new material taking forever, and here we are with the understandable frustration. 
Covid or not, the first show they’ll play (2022?) must be completely different, not just the same greatest hits. 

Agree it went on too long 2016/2017 would have covered it. Obviously the ridiculous money offered was too good to turn down.

You’d like to think/hope when they hit the road again it’ll be a very different show (COVID allowing time to take stock of things/integrating newly created songs in etc).

Of course it could go the other way - been off the road for a couple of years and with everything being so bleak in the world generally they decide to ‘tour the songs they think  the average fan wants’.......I bloody hope not!!!