"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting a Use Your Illusion tattoo since I was 14 years old and today, after 5 years, I finally did it! I think it turned out great and couldn’t be happier with it!

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence? It's one thing to be a touring nostalgia band, that's fine, but the attitude in his responses to fans has actually made m

Posted Images

On 11/9/2020 at 10:50 AM, jackparker123 said:

Liam Gallagher has today announced a special paid for gig live stream, filmed on a boat going down the river Thames.

Meanwhile, radio silence from GNR.

#TheNextChapter

I want to do a long topic post about how the GNR reunion compares to Liam's comeback.

Compare how Liam courted the hardcore fans, worked to improve his vocals and the constant releases to how GNR are managed. 

• Like 3

Sad and frustrating as it is with Guns silence, I sometimes wonder if its down to professional limitations? Like could Axl do a solo acoustic set from home? Both musically, and is he is comfortable hosting it?

The big three all are very awkward. I just cant picture them doing Wired AutoComplete interviews or Hot Ones. They dont have that aspect of the showbiz skill set cultivated.

Slash is, in my estimation, the most primetime ready. Hes done Ellen and Conan, etc, etc. Hes also done some "new normal" online stuff, like that zoom video that included Gilby. Not trying to take that from him or exaggerate. (Hes also done the least Guns media sine NITL, until the pin ball machine)

But I think theyd all, or at least Axl and Duff, benefit from some coaching to make them more prepared to take more opportunities under the spotlight?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I thought Axl was quite charming and funny in the Kimmel interview. I think that maybe the 3 of them are pretty good at giving interviews, you know... just from watching how they used to do it in the late 80's and 90's.

when you got something to promote and not everything is a fuckin' secret maybe it's easier and more enjoyable to be interviewed. I didn't get an awkward vibe when they had the option to speak freely.

that 2014 Swedish interview with Slash when the interviewer asked him about him and Axl being friends again and Slash shutting it down abruptly was super awkward though and not at all like how Slash seems to handle it normally, but maybe I'm missing something, idk.

as for Liam compared to Axl, I admire his approach and attitude, I just think they're very different people maybe and musicians. Liam doesn't really give a fuck, it's possible he's just doing what he always done.

Moving forward, making music cause it could be boring not to release anything when you like to create and perform while Axl seems to take himself and Gn'R way too seriously to not overthink it and I believe he pays too much attention to the bs and details and what everything means so he doesn't gain momentum very often and then there's the lack of deadlines and impossible standards

(like the recent interview with Dave from Pearl Jam indicates how Axl wanted new Guns to be bigger than the classic line up for example) eventually led him to release only 1 album in 30 years and basically playing the same tunes for decades.

I personally find them tremendously awkward. But Im not a professional interviewer, who Im sure can guide them along. 

As a fan I find it endearing how much Axl tries to communicate with hand gestures, but when I see him out in the world doing it I must admit I cringe a bit. Like, I dont mean he gestures along as he speaks, he will attempt to finish sentences with hand gestures even sometimes. And someone has to verbally fill it in for him, or he picks back up after a pause. But again, that doesnt mean he's not enough of a loveable dude to have a go. Kimmel was fun.

I guess Im speaking to some of the somewhat newer interview formats to really reach the masses. Like the Architectural Digest "Open Door" or Vogues 73 questions type stuff. And again, perhaps they could. But then why not is the question? 'Everyone' else does.

You make a good point about when they have to be cagey about band secrets. It did bring Duffs CNN fail to mind (even though that wasnt even a guns interview). Deer in the headlights when asked about sexist lyrics. How did he not see that coming? But yeah, generally speaking, it would be a hindrance to have so many topics off limits.

I dont follow Oasis at all, but I swear Ive heard Liam say basically that he hopes Noel will take note of his vocal performance and work ethic? Because Liam wants a reunion? Maybe Im mistaken.

Definitely agree that Axls anxiety around perfectionism is at the centre of a lot of it. On the other hand, cooking a meal with Sean Evans (hot ones/ first we feast) wouldn't be invasive, just fun content for us that gets them out there in the world. Or even just rating Taco Bell snack menu items over Skype currently. Why not? He just cant be bothered? 

Sigh. Maybe I just prefer the thought that he doesnt feel comfortable extending himself. :shrugs:

• Like 1
11 hours ago, soon said:

Sad and frustrating as it is with Guns silence, I sometimes wonder if its down to professional limitations? Like could Axl do a solo acoustic set from home? Both musically, and is he is comfortable hosting it?

The big three all are very awkward. I just cant picture them doing Wired AutoComplete interviews or Hot Ones. They dont have that aspect of the showbiz skill set cultivated.

Slash is, in my estimation, the most primetime ready. Hes done Ellen and Conan, etc, etc. Hes also done some "new normal" online stuff, like that zoom video that included Gilby. Not trying to take that from him or exaggerate. (Hes also done the least Guns media sine NITL, until the pin ball machine)

But I think theyd all, or at least Axl and Duff, benefit from some coaching to make them more prepared to take more opportunities under the spotlight?

Yeah, when you think about it...very awkward. Slash ALWAYS wearing his hat and the shades, no matter the occasion is laughable at this point for example. He's his own funko pop figure. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Rovim said:

I thought Axl was quite charming and funny in the Kimmel interview. I think that maybe the 3 of them are pretty good at giving interviews, you know... just from watching how they used to do it in the late 80's and 90's.

when you got something to promote and not everything is a fuckin' secret maybe it's easier and more enjoyable to be interviewed. I didn't get an awkward vibe when they had the option to speak freely.

that 2014 Swedish interview with Slash when the interviewer asked him about him and Axl being friends again and Slash shutting it down abruptly was super awkward though and not at all like how Slash seems to handle it normally, but maybe I'm missing something, idk.

as for Liam compared to Axl, I admire his approach and attitude, I just think they're very different people maybe and musicians. Liam doesn't really give a fuck, it's possible he's just doing what he always done.

Moving forward, making music cause it could be boring not to release anything when you like to create and perform while Axl seems to take himself and Gn'R way too seriously to not overthink it and I believe he pays too much attention to the bs and details and what everything means so he doesn't gain momentum very often and then there's the lack of deadlines and impossible standards

(like the recent interview with Dave from Pearl Jam indicates how Axl wanted new Guns to be bigger than the classic line up for example) eventually led him to release only 1 album in 30 years and basically playing the same tunes for decades.

I've always thought he did a good interview really. Never seems too awkward....but you know, if they don't want to do interviews that's fine by me. I get sick of celebrities being everywhere, and I'm quite happy for them to be private. 

But if they're taking that approach and combine it with never doing anything, I think the only result is fan frustration and ultimately boredom and disinterest. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I've always thought he did a good interview really. Never seems too awkward....but you know, if they don't want to do interviews that's fine by me. I get sick of celebrities being everywhere, and I'm quite happy for them to be private. 

But if they're taking that approach and combine it with never doing anything, I think the only result is fan frustration and ultimately boredom and disinterest. 

I feel that way about other celebrities, but personally I enjoy interviews by the gunners if it's a good interview of course. I think only Axl doesn't like to do them and Slash and Duff don't seem to have a problem with it but the Gn'R questions put them on the spot cause they can't or don't have anything to say about it.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Hoping this is a bullshit rumour but something doing the rounds on Discord and GNFNR that Slash’s kid posted that Slash relapsed.....but then removed the post.

Hope it’s false....but if not, hope he gets well soon.

Edited by DTJ80
19 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Hoping this is a bullshit rumour but something doing the rounds on Discord and GNFNR that Slash’s kid posted that Slash relapsed.....but then removed the post.

I would say it's false. News media would have picked up on it for sure. 

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Link?

24 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Noooo, hope he's not fighting that off.  Holidays are hard on people.

1 minute ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Slash is posting stuff on instagram, so I doubt it's true.

Possibly, but I doubt slash actually manages his social media pages. There were rumours of a relapse before. Hope not, but no smoke without fire. 

Just now, JimiRose said:

Possibly, but I doubt slash actually manages his social media pages. There were rumours of a relapse before. Hope not, but no smoke without fire. 

The person who saw the post is trying to retrieve it somehow. As you say - there have been rumours but hope it’s all just bullshit and he is OK.