"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

15 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

After discussing Rock In Rio 2001 in the recent thread I hope the New Years Eve shows from 2001 surface. Allegedly Axl was in better shape and sounded better.

There was a chap on here that attended both shows that said to me a few years back that the 29th and 31st shows at the Joint were plagued by sound issues and what not. I'd still love to see/hear them regardless.

15 minutes ago, Dean said:

There was a chap on here that attended both shows that said to me a few years back that the 29th and 31st shows at the Joint were plagued by sound issues and what not. I'd still love to see/hear them regardless.

Going off gnrontour the 29th was rough but the 31st was much better.

On 12/31/2020 at 12:49 AM, allwaystired said:

Obviously hope this isn't true.

Slash has said in interviews in the past though that his 'workaholic' nature helped replace addictions, so a year in which he can't work at all as he normally would can't have been easy. 

Fingers crossed on this one, as it would be sad news. 

Hopefully it’s not true but it has happened before to slash and the band in their early years when they finished touring in December 1988, it’s clear when they had too much time on their hands they went off the rails which is documented in all three autobiographies released by band members. Now 1989 was a case of them going up to 11 in all the extra circular activities. IF this is true then it’s from a different place. 

3 hours ago, SAU3R said:

This video makes the WTTJ version  from  Berlin 2018 sound like the holy grail

Edit: also looks like Mr. Fripple is in charge of the thermostat 

Mental that she is 62! And Robert Fripp of King Crimson on guitar....😂.

Her rendition of Enter Sandman is even more....’on point’....🤣

Edited by DTJ80
  • Haha 1

In light of my birthday thread on Steven Adler on Friday I’ve been re reading his book and the part about his being fired from the band in 1990 in particular. I still do find it funny that he was fired from the band because of drug issues. It’s not that his issues weren’t serious but I find it funny because he wasn’t the only nor the worst offender in the band in 1990. Slash was a complete mess and seeing things in the shower that he documented in his book and duff wasn’t much better.

Yes, I suppose they were functioning addicts but that term is doing a lot of heavy lifting because they were barely functioning as far as I can see. Axl said in the famous last words interview that “Steven couldn’t leave his drugs” which was true but he’d made the mr brownstone comment opening for the stones which was a general comment on everyone in the band. The question is if Steven had been lead guitarist or bassist in GNR would he have gotten more help and leeway to sort himself out ? 

17 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

In light of my birthday thread on Steven Adler on Friday I’ve been re reading his book and the part about his being fired from the band in 1990 in particular. I still do find it funny that he was fired from the band because of drug issues. It’s not that his issues weren’t serious but I find it funny because he wasn’t the only nor the worst offender in the band in 1990. Slash was a complete mess and seeing things in the shower that he documented in his book and duff wasn’t much better.

Yes, I suppose they were functioning addicts but that term is doing a lot of heavy lifting because they were barely functioning as far as I can see. Axl said in the famous last words interview that “Steven couldn’t leave his drugs” which was true but he’d made the mr brownstone comment opening for the stones which was a general comment on everyone in the band. The question is if Steven had been lead guitarist or bassist in GNR would he have gotten more help and leeway to sort himself out ? 

I do agree but they, meaning Slash and Izzy compared to Steven, were at different points in their addictions. Slash and Izzy were starting to pull out of it as where Steven was spiraling. They were at such a crucial point as a band that they felt they couldn't continue with Steven. It's a question of bad timing for Steven to be at his worst.

Edited by lame ass security
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Ratam said:

I knew who is Robert Fripp, a very renowned guitarist, but i never heard about her.

She was big in the 80s with soft rock/pop tunes (not very good IMO) then became a decent enough TV presenter.

Big on the 80s nostalgia tours apparently. Clearly she has ‘had work done’ and is happy to flaunt them! 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

She was big in the 80s with soft rock/pop tunes (not very good IMO) then became a decent enough TV presenter.

Big on the 80s nostalgia tours apparently. Clearly she has ‘had work done’ and is happy to flaunt them! 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yes, i realize she show all time her tits on close-up ..

:lol::lol:

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I do agree but they, meaning Slash and Izzy compared to Steven, were at different points in their addictions. Slash and Izzy were starting to pull out of it as where Steven was spiraling. They were at such a crucial point as a band that they felt they couldn't continue with Steven. It's a question of bad timing for Steven to be at his worst.

i'd say they were on 3 different levels

Izzy became sober

Slash was always workable, he was a user but never allowed usage to get in his way to the point he couldn't play.

Adler was a wreck and Duff  not too far but also workable

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Izzy became sober

Slash was always workable, he was a user but never allowed usage to get in his way to the point he couldn't play.

True, I was referring to their heroin addictions. Slash stopped using but continued to drink heavily. And I assume he was still doing coke, maybe someone who read his book could answer that.

59 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

True, I was referring to their heroin addictions. Slash stopped using but continued to drink heavily. And I assume he was still doing coke, maybe someone who read his book could answer that.

If I recall correctly, he was still doing coke. I remember seeing in his book that he and Duff christened the UYI tour jet by smoking crack in it (I think.)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Izzy became sober

Well Izzy got a big wake up call because of the incident on the airplane which did work and he got his shit together unlike Steven, slash, and duff who didn’t. Slash seems to have able to keep his addictions under some form of control when on tour which is why in 1989 he went off the deep end because he had money for the first time and a big house(the incident involving a shotgun and sitting in his closet show how bad he was) and nothing but time. Duff from his book starting ramping up his usage because of anxiety he had. 

Of all the guys between both the AFD and UYI era, the only guy bar axl who didn’t nuts was gilby. He seems to have had fun on tour but never went to the levels the others went to. I mean he drank but I don’t remember him being addicted to anything else. 

Anyway it was nice to get some replies and opinions on that period of time in the band’s history. It’s good that slash has apologised for his actions towards Steven but in a perfect world Steven should have stayed in the band. 

6 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Well Izzy got a big wake up call because of the incident on the airplane which did work and he got his shit together unlike Steven, slash, and duff who didn’t. Slash seems to have able to keep his addictions under some form of control when on tour which is why in 1989 he went off the deep end because he had money for the first time and a big house(the incident involving a shotgun and sitting in his closet show how bad he was) and nothing but time. Duff from his book starting ramping up his usage because of anxiety he had. 

Of all the guys between both the AFD and UYI era, the only guy bar axl who didn’t nuts was gilby. He seems to have had fun on tour but never went to the levels the others went to. I mean he drank but I don’t remember him being addicted to anything else. 

Anyway it was nice to get some replies and opinions on that period of time in the band’s history. It’s good that slash has apologised for his actions towards Steven but in a perfect world Steven should have stayed in the band. 

Totally read that as "gay bar Axl." 😄

• Haha 2

On 1/25/2021 at 6:04 PM, SAU3R said:

This video makes the WTTJ version  from  Berlin 2018 sound like the holy grail

Edit: also looks like Mr. Fripple is in charge of the thermostat 

They have done Sweet Child, too 

23 hours ago, Ratam said:

I knew who is Robert Fripp, a very renowned guitarist, but i never heard about her.

I've never heard of her, either , although I grew up in the 80s - maybe because her hits were in the very early 80s, from what I see.

I wouldn't have imagined Robert Fripp doing this videos. They look like they're really having fun though :lol:

Edited by Blackstar
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

They have done Sweet Child, too 

I've never heard of her, either , although I grew up in the 80s - maybe because her hits were in the very early 80s, from what I see.

I wouldn't have imagined Robert Fripp doing this videos. They look like they're really having fun though :lol:

I now research about she in Google, she has an very prolific career. Look she is just popular in UK. Wiki is full of info about she.

• Like 1

What about this; Use Your Illusion anniversary box set this autumn followed by a new EP in the vain of Live Like A Suicide towards Christmas. Two new songs (whether they're brand new or Chinese outtakes is up to you) and two covers. Come 2022 a brand new album is released. 

49 minutes ago, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

What about this; Use Your Illusion anniversary box set this autumn followed by a new EP in the vain of Live Like A Suicide towards Christmas. Two new songs (whether they're brand new or Chinese outtakes is up to you) and two covers. Come 2022 a brand new album is released. 

I agree with everything except the covers. To hell with covers already, seriously. A whole fourth of a set and an entire album etc. Covers everywhere. Waiting for new music here, not covers again! 

39 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I agree with everything except the covers. To hell with covers already, seriously. A whole fourth of a set and an entire album etc. Covers everywhere. Waiting for new music here, not covers again! 

Ok.

How about two new songs and two (good) live tracks of your choice.