"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve been thinking about getting a Use Your Illusion tattoo since I was 14 years old and today, after 5 years, I finally did it! I think it turned out great and couldn’t be happier with it!

Anyone else losing interest in this band due to Fernando's sheer incompetence? It's one thing to be a touring nostalgia band, that's fine, but the attitude in his responses to fans has actually made m

Posted Images

So with the 30th anniversary of the riot in St. Louis coming up at the start of July, did Axl at the time get an unfair share of the blame, for if not the initial incident, the damage that was caused to the venue ? I mean as Axl admitted at the time(or a few months after at least) that he could have in hindsight dealt with the situation differently on the night, did the fans who wrecked the venue(admittedly a minority of them) get the similar levels of scorn for damaging a new venue ?

The TV reports I’ve watched from the time all have the same slant, which is that it was Axls fault. 

This event is one that slash clearing has zero memory of if you take his version of it in his book versus the actual footage of the show, which bar little to no resemblance to each other.

Anyway, I digress. But yeah I think Axl was at fault but I think(granted with the benefit of hindsight) got far too much blame for other people’s inability to control the crowd, and for actions by fans who I’m sure we’re disappointed, but life isn’t all sunshine wins rainbows but that’s not an excuse to wreck a venue. In Dublin in 2010 when Axl walked offstage and the house lights came up, I don’t recall people wrecking the O2 arena. People were pissed off which was understandable, and I include myself in that group, but nobody damaged the arena. 

7 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

So with the 30th anniversary of the riot in St. Louis coming up at the start of July, did Axl at the time get an unfair share of the blame, for if not the initial incident, the damage that was caused to the venue ? I mean as Axl admitted at the time(or a few months after at least) that he could have in hindsight dealt with the situation differently on the night, did the fans who wrecked the venue(admittedly a minority of them) get the similar levels of scorn for damaging a new venue ?

The TV reports I’ve watched from the time all have the same slant, which is that it was Axls fault. 

This event is one that slash clearing has zero memory of if you take his version of it in his book versus the actual footage of the show, which bar little to no resemblance to each other.

Anyway, I digress. But yeah I think Axl was at fault but I think(granted with the benefit of hindsight) got far too much blame for other people’s inability to control the crowd, and for actions by fans who I’m sure we’re disappointed, but life isn’t all sunshine wins rainbows but that’s not an excuse to wreck a venue. In Dublin in 2010 when Axl walked offstage and the house lights came up, I don’t recall people wrecking the O2 arena. People were pissed off which was understandable, and I include myself in that group, but nobody damaged the arena. 

A lot of stuff here:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t1298-1991-07-02-riverport-amphitheatre-st-louis-usa

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, jamillos said:

And in much more detail:

About the riot itself: (32) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

Band member commenting upon the riot: (32) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

Lawsuits and gig cancellations because of the riot: (32) 12. JANUARY-JULY 1991: TOURING MAYHEM - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

The "fuck St. Louis" statement in the liner notes: (32) 13. JULY-NOVEMBER 1991: USE YOUR ILLUSIONS ARE OUT, SO IS IZZY (a-4-d.com)

Cancellations of shows to avoid prosecution: (32) 14. NOVEMBER 1991-APRIL 1992: THE BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD (a-4-d.com)

And finally Axl is arrested after returning to the states: (32) 15. MAY-DECEMBER 1992: TOURING AND FEUDS (a-4-d.com)

Axl's plea bargain with the prosecutor: (32) 15. MAY-DECEMBER 1992: TOURING AND FEUDS - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

And finally the various settlements from civil lawsuits: (32) 17. AUGUST-NOVEMBER 1993: LAWSUITS AND THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT? (a-4-d.com)

• Like 2
22 hours ago, jamillos said:

I’ll say again what a novel idea. Bands can release music videos and albums during a pandemic and the sky doesn’t fall and the earth continues to carry on as normal. It’s like functioning musicians and bands can’t do these things. Someone should send that alleged management team these links and maybe they’ll stop blaming everything and everyone as to why music hasn’t been released in nearly 13 years. 

• Like 1