"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

4 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Some people seek shelter in an alternate reality of their own making when they can't cope with the facts of the real world. 

Yeah! I can't believe some people can't stand the fact that Chinese Democracy was just an average with a few good songs Axl' solo album and want to convince themselves it's the Best "GNR" album 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Some people seek shelter in an alternate reality of their own making when they can't cope with the facts of the real world. 

This 100%, that conversation could have happened in 2001, but in 2021? still? really? Sounds so childish

Edited by metalavenger99

Objectively, whoever is in the band at the time in the band named "Guns n Roses" is GnR. If Axl was replaced as lead singer, it technically would still be GnR. We may not like it if that was the case, and thats fair, but objectively speaking they are musicians playing under the band name Guns n Roses.

27 minutes ago, axlvai said:

For the old USA gunners here... i'm enjoying the Oklahoma show from 1992, and Axl says between song sometjing like this "This is live not memorex"

Is this ad related to that? And whats this is mean? 

Yes those ads were around a lot back then so everyone in the audience would've understood the reference.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Objectively, whoever is in the band at the time in the band named "Guns n Roses" is GnR. If Axl was replaced as lead singer, it technically would still be GnR. We may not like it if that was the case, and thats fair, but objectively speaking they are musicians playing under the band name Guns n Roses.

I think that weighed on Axl heavily for years until Slash came back. So many people tried to delegitimize what he was doing by saying it wasn't GnR and I think Axl thought that was really unfair. Also unfair to some of the newer members who worked hard and kept the band going through lean years.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mystery said:

I think that weighed on Axl heavily for years until Slash came back. So many people tried to delegitimize what he was doing by saying it wasn't GnR and I think Axl thought that was really unfair. Also unfair to some of the newer members who worked hard and kept the band going through lean years.

Exactly, that's why it was such a pleasure to hear the Chinese Democracy intro chords played by Slash when NITLT started :rofl-lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betterman said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGT7U3siYz85WLnNFqxUjXLnd7Qj6YjX/view

Nice little news report from the studio 1990.  (Page 2 and 3)

Talks of 35 songs for UYI sessions. 28 on the albums, right?

Do we know all the other ones..?

Ain't Going Down, Just Another Sunday (and probably other West Arkeen songs), Nightcrawler (Slash song that ended on Snakepit 2 as Speed Parade), maybe a couple of TSI covers (I don't think they had come up with them yet).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, betterman said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YGT7U3siYz85WLnNFqxUjXLnd7Qj6YjX/view

Nice little news report from the studio 1990.  (Page 2 and 3)

Talks of 35 songs for UYI sessions. 28 on the albums, right?

Do we know all the other ones..?

Interesting that there's a Kill For Thrills interview in that edition also and they talk about how they're not like GnR. Then almost 2 years later Gilby is in GnR and Kill For Thills is no more.

• Like 1

Been listening a lot to some of the songs on the Rough Mixes CD's. Truly some gems there, such a shame so little of them got released. State of Grace is probably one of my favourites, I love Axl's performance, but the instrumentation... my god! I love that riff, and I have such a soft spot for riffs that incorporate that flat fifth, (like It's So Easy, The General, Welcome to the Jungle). I used to think that SoG probably could be a couple minutes longer, but I don't see any reason to adding more stuff there, it's short and sweet with a cracking outro! Great stuff.

Kind of the opposite with Dummy. It's pretty underrated in my opinion, but it does drag for way too long. I love the vibe from that song. Devious Bastard is also such a badass song, reminiscent of Perfect Crime and Garden of Eden in some ways, just evolved. Not a fan of the quotes and voice recordings added, it's present in so many NuGuns demos, and it's honestly cringeworthy. Works excellently in Madagascar though. 

There's honestly so much good stuff there that really does hold their own ground without the prescence of Axl and his undeniable vocal capabilites. It's an eternal shame that all we got was Chinese Democracy, and GN'R never got to truly evolve from the sleaze rock image which they definitely did outgrow. The sleaziness is why I got into GN'R in the first place, but what a journey it would have been to go from a bare bones rock n' roll style to whatever could have been. An ever evolving style would in my eyes have cemented GN'Rs legacy in music in a much larger scale. I understand everyone who hates the musical direction GN'R went in, but I feel there's a stronger case to be made for the fact that GN'R would have regressed more had they continued to pump out albums in the vein of Appetite and Illusions. I've been very disillusioned with this band for years, since my personal connection with them kind of got bookended after I got to finally see them live, but the release of Absurd has truly brought me back to being a crazy GN'R nerd again. I welcome and embrace the frustrating dysfunctionality, because there is nothing like it, there's nothing like GN'R. There's a reason that after two decades this forum is still around with several active (and even new!) members discussing.

My personal feelings with GN'R get encapsulated with the phone recording of The General. Behind the wall of shit you can hear something. You don't really know what it is, but it's so thrilling. The wailing solo, that haunting motif and Axl belting out some gut wrenching lyrics. ''There's a child now chained to the bed now ... I think it's high time you should fuckin' die, child, I think this time you've broken everything inside''. What the fuck?! How come this isn't out? Based on that clip and the orchestal motif, I really feel that song is something different. Along the lines of Queen's Innuendo perhaps. I don't know, there's just fucking SOMETHING about that song that's been thrilling me for years and years and years. Those lyrics can be so much further from what's actually being sung, but honestly what the actual fuck? That's what fucking confuses me, if I was sitting on that stuff I'd do my BEST to get that out, to get people listening to this. It's so different from everything else from Guns, and that's not even a bad thing! ''And if you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last''

I still carry hope that Axl finds it in himself to just bring more music. Whether it be orchestal film scores, electronic weirdness or even classic GN'R rock, I don't really give a shit but I do know Axl is a genius. He has so much to give.

I love this game!

• Like 4

On 8/27/2021 at 1:16 AM, jamillos said:

Recently leaked ultra rare video of Axl in 1995. This is what he was doing when he wasn't touring or writing songs. 

https://v.redd.it/c8da157klmj71/DASH_720.mp4?source=fallback

I'm guessing you're not serious about this. It does look like him from a distance but no one was filming vertical videos like this back then and the video looks way too clear. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just wondering if anyone has information on the June 1989 show at The Whiskey where members of GNR appeared with The Angels. I think they also did a song with Angry Anderson too.

Do we have the details of who from GNR made an appearance, and a full list of the songs they performed?

There's some footage out there but I'm not sure if it's complete.

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

My favorite band is GnR and my girl's is System of a Down.  Wondering how we got so unlucky lol

Maybe the two bands most notable for not releasing new music :facepalm:

But unlike us, at least she can wake up, grababrushandputalittlemakeup, you know? 

(I'll see myself out.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3