"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

49 minutes ago, Neider said:

I dreamed I was reading somewhere that at some Stones show on the Steel Wheels tour, Axl sang the backing vocals in the Mixed Emotions backing vocals. Don’t judge me, I really love that Stones song and surely Axl’s voice in the backing vocals would have sounded excellent.

Please don't make fun of me. :shrugs:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but that did happen. Axl and Izzy had guested at all three Rolling Stones in Atlantic City (the second one was the pay-per-view one) and at the third show Axl also did backing vocals on Mixed Emotions.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Neider said:

I dreamed I was reading somewhere that at some Stones show on the Steel Wheels tour, Axl sang the backing vocals in the Mixed Emotions backing vocals. Don’t judge me, I really love that Stones song and surely Axl’s voice in the backing vocals would have sounded excellent.

Please don't make fun of me. :shrugs:

12.20.89 - Convention Center, Atlantic City, NJ
set: Salt Of The Earth, Mixed Emotions [w/ Axl]
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: Axl & Izzy again join The Rolling Stones the next night for "Salt Of The Earth." Axl sings background vocals on "Mixed Emotions" as well.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

12.20.89 - Convention Center, Atlantic City, NJ
set: Salt Of The Earth, Mixed Emotions [w/ Axl]
audio/video recording?: audio
notes: Axl & Izzy again join The Rolling Stones the next night for "Salt Of The Earth." Axl sings background vocals on "Mixed Emotions" as well.

Never knew that!

Did it get recorded and is it floating around somewhere?  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know if you're joking or not, but that did happen. Axl and Izzy had guested at all three Rolling Stones in Atlantic City (the second one was the pay-per-view one) and at the third show Axl also did backing vocals on Mixed Emotions.

Oh… I said I had dreamed because I could swear I saw it somewhere, so then I forgot about it but a couple days ago I remembered and googled it but didn’t get anything on it. So I said to myself “boy, you dreamed it or that was a Mandela effect”.

I’m glad that that was real. Salt of the Earth with Axl and Izzy was fantastic so I hope we get that version of Mixed Emotions one day. What a song!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, frozen_rose said:

Isn't this supposed to be the biggest GNR forum on the internet? Since when did it become so quiet and why? What's going on? 

Tour is over and the new songs have been out for a little while now, it is fairly typically to have this level of activity during the downtime

If GNR were actively promoting the new songs via interviews, music videos, etc. it would probably be a bit more lively at the moment

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, but the quality isn't great.

Thanks. I could barely make out Axl during the choruses.

Unfortunately had to remove the link from your post to keep the forum alive. 

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

This is not the same show. It's the show on the previous night (Dec. 19, 1989), the pay per view one. Axl and Izzy were there for Salt Of The Earth at all three shows in Atlantic City, but Axl sang backing vocals on Mixed Emotions only on the third night (Dec. 20).

Ah ok! Thanks for clarifying. 

• Like 1

I know that Axl’s voice in 2001 and 2002 was similar, although not the same. HoB from 2001 seems like a great show to me but that's not my point in this post.

I have the Boston 2002 soundboard in excellent quality, and I really like the sound of that show. Yes, Axl’s voice is much weaker than 2006-10 and even 2001, but I think Axl was improving a lot in the last shows of 2002 (eg Albany, Boston and MSG). Who knows, if the tour hadn’t ended abruptly, and continued in 2003, I don’t rule out that Axl would have ended up singing at least like in 2007.

As a curiosity, I prefer to listen to the 2001-02 and 2006 versions of Live and Let Die over the 1991-93 versions. And another curiosity… I thought Axl started playing Prostitute as an intro for November Rain in 2006, but it turns out that in 2002 he already did. I was surprised to hear Prostitute’s notes on the Boston soundboard haha.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neider said:

I know that Axl’s voice in 2001 and 2002 was similar, although not the same. HoB from 2001 seems like a great show to me but that's not my point in this post.

I have the Boston 2002 soundboard in excellent quality, and I really like the sound of that show. Yes, Axl’s voice is much weaker than 2006-10 and even 2001, but I think Axl was improving a lot in the last shows of 2002 (eg Albany, Boston and MSG). Who knows, if the tour hadn’t ended abruptly, and continued in 2003, I don’t rule out that Axl would have ended up singing at least like in 2007.

As a curiosity, I prefer to listen to the 2001-02 and 2006 versions of Live and Let Die over the 1991-93 versions. And another curiosity… I thought Axl started playing Prostitute as an intro for November Rain in 2006, but it turns out that in 2002 he already did. I was surprised to hear Prostitute’s notes on the Boston soundboard haha.

I think you bring up a good point on Axl's voice possibly improving during that tour had they kept going. He had really only done 4 shows the previous year by the time 2002 came around. It doesn't explain him firing out the gate in 2006 but I think he was in great shape then which helped and was probably in a better frame of mind to tour then.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Neider said:

Yeah, I think he would have improved indeed. Just listen to how he sang The Blues during that year, he used a very nice raspy tone in the Albany show. And he had the power to sing those extremely high clean notes that ended up on the album too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, axlvai said:

Some off topic but... did u saw the trailer from The Beatles "Get Back". Holly sh¡t man, 50 years AFTER!!!!!!

Disney and Apple pls your help with GnR!!!!

Especially since we know they filmed the Use Your Illusion Tour and the quality is film quality. It's just a matter of getting the band to agree to release it and find a means of distribution. I wonder if they watch the Get Back documentary and get any urge to do so?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

Hey @Dexter, how about some chat again? Didn't you say something like same time, same bat channel some thirteen years ago? Looks like a dead season ahead of us. Come on man, don't be like that. :D

Dexter is coming back.....but only on Showtime. Axl has to love that. But Dexter chatting on this forum again... doubtful!

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Especially since we know they filmed the Use Your Illusion Tour and the quality is film quality. It's just a matter of getting the band to agree to release it and find a means of distribution. I wonder if they watch the Get Back documentary and get any urge to do so?

That's not true. The amount of shows that were shot on film can be counted with one (maybe two) hands. Pretty much all of the UYI shows were recorded digitally.

And only the ones shot on film can get you that 'Get Back'-like 4K quality.

1 minute ago, GNRfanMILO said:

That's not true. The amount of shows that were shot on film can be counted with one (maybe two) hands. Pretty much all of the UYI shows were recorded digitally.

Thank for the clarification. I think that would still be good enough for a documentary mixed with the higher quality stuff. It's a shame because it's unused footage that's doing absolutely nothing. It wouldn't hurt to monetize it. Have interviews with the band today to give their thoughts on the tour. Hearing from the Use Your Illusion era band (Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, Gilby, Matt, Dizzy) about the highs and lows of that tour and era would be very compelling. 

31 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Which shows do we know were shot on film?

Pantages 1991

Ritz 1991?

Munich 1993?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Which shows do we know were shot on film?

Pantages 1991

Ritz 1991?

Munich 1993?

Good one. Not a show, but when they taped November Rain video they played some songs too.

It is an absolute sin that they band doesn't release ant footage from the classic era to remind everyone how awesome they really were. I don't often actually listen to Gn'R much any more but I love watching live stuff.  I would buy every bit of classic material released and watch it over and over and over again.. Some kick ass UYI footage as well as anything they could dig up from the 87/88 tour.. That to me is GnR at their best... The Ritz, Felt Forum, Melbourne, Perkin Palace, the Late Show, AMA show, Jungle at the MTV awards, Middletown.. It is all money... 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It is an absolute sin that they band doesn't release ant footage from the classic era to remind everyone how awesome they really were. I don't often actually listen to Gn'R much any more but I love watching live stuff.  I would buy every bit of classic material released and watch it over and over and over again.. Some kick ass UYI footage as well as anything they could dig up from the 87/88 tour.. That to me is GnR at their best... The Ritz, Felt Forum, Melbourne, Perkin Palace, the Late Show, AMA show, Jungle at the MTV awards, Middletown.. It is all money... 

Wait a minute, are you seriously suggesting the 1988-93 period was the classic era of this band? You are aware of the legendary 2001/02 shows upon which it is widely understood that Axl Rose was at the peak of artistic powers, having shyed from the world for 7 years, having recorded a career's worth of vocals in 1999, and having replaced every band member bar The Diz! You are aware, right!!!?! :P 

• Haha 1