"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

If I'm being honest, I'm not sooo a fan of SCOM's live versions since 1988. I have a couple of live versions from 1986, and I'm fascinated with those—the song is calm and romantic, Axl's voice is just like in the studio version and it definitely sounds like a happy ballad. But in 1988 Axl's voice changed and it wasn't as high again like in 1985-87, but Slash also screwed up riffs and solos sometimes, and the song got faster but I think it's OK on Donington and Nakano, even on Ritz (show which I'm not a fan of hehe).

In 1991… no words—I think the band sounded loosely organized and Axl's voice was excessively raspy and sometimes out of tune. Already in 1992 I think that the band sounded on fire and Axl's voice was at another peak, SCOM live in Paris sounded spectacular despite the fact that Sorum's drums in the AFD songs were ¿strange?, but that eternal end of the song was out of place haha.

But from then on, 1993 had less good versions of SCOM (but SIDHY as an intro was amazing) and all the versions of the song between 2001-07 were somewhat weak (but the instrumental part was fine, I think Finck did a good job and I'm definitely more fan of Brain's drums than Matt's on the AFD songs), but I think 2006-07 SCOM might sound amazing if only Axl would have rasped his voice in the final part, because in that year his voice was so incredible and versatile. In 2009-10 Axl sounded amazing on SCOM, but after that year he never sang it well again, even in 2016 his voice was OK.

Have Slash and Duff back and hear them play that song would have been amazing, but Axl hasn't sung it well since 2010. Does the guy hate the song or something? Even in his worst years, Axl sings at least decently WTTJ or Nightrain, but with SCOM I see a big disinterest in him…

I've been watching what Judas Priest has been doing in 2021 and it feels like all the things people here would like to see in terms of setlists. JP is a band I'd put at the level of Guns n Roses in that they've had a lot of success and hit songs that are usually staples in their setlist. The crazy thing is in the past 3 years they've played some deep cuts; some songs that were performed a handful of times decades ago and other songs that were never performed live.

The cool thing is that Rob Halford actually sounds good singing them or at least as good as you'd expect a guy who's now 70 to sing. It just puts the spotlight on Guns n Roses to dig into their catalog a bit more which they've admittedly have been doing since 2019.

I don't think people ever expected to hear Dead Horse, Locomotive, or songs that went unreleased (Hard Skool) or thought forgotten (Absurd). It'd be nice to see them perform Don't Damn Me, the Garden, You Ain't the First, Since I Don't Have You, Oh My God etc.  It feels like they only bother with Appetite/Patience/the Use Your Illusion singles/and some scattered songs from Chinese Democracy. There's also 5 covers not including KOHD and LALD that should be chopped down or replaced with actual GNR songs.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, martinb33 said:

You want to kill Axl.

Someone should come up with a death list of songs that would kill Axl. I simply listed it since it would be cool to check off all the UYI songs that were never done live. 

Judas Priest added Battle Hymn/One Shot at Glory which completes all the Painkiller songs being performed live after 31 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Someone should come up with a death list of songs that would kill Axl. I simply listed it since it would be cool to check off all the UYI songs that were never done live. 

Judas Priest added Battle Hymn/One Shot at Glory which completes all the Painkiller songs being performed live after 31 years.

Imagine Human Being. He would have to be rescued by a helicopter in the middle of the stage after the song was over. But hey, he's been torturing us with KOHD for the last 15 years. We'd be even.

But seriously though, it would be nice to see The Garden back in the setlist and I think Axl would do it justice pretty well. Anyway, we'll never know why certain songs are resurrected and others aren't, you'd have to dive into Axl's head.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mystery said:

I don't think people ever expected to hear Dead Horse, Locomotive, or songs that went unreleased (Hard Skool) or thought forgotten (Absurd). It'd be nice to see them perform Don't Damn Me, the Garden, You Ain't the First, Since I Don't Have You, Oh My God etc.  It feels like they only bother with Appetite/Patience/the Use Your Illusion singles/and some scattered songs from Chinese Democracy. There's also 5 covers not including KOHD and LALD that should be chopped down or replaced with actual GNR songs.

I think the best songs they should add would be the ones where Axl sings mostly with his low voice, so as not to kill the poor man. Some could be Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, You Ain’t the First, Down on the Farm, I Don’t Care About You, and that Sorry can be played always.

As a random thought, I think Heartbreak Hotel would be an incredible cover if done to the tempo of the Elvis version—excellent blues, aggressive and then very calm. I don't like the GNR version because they played it as if it were Out ta Get Me or the other AFD songs, but if they covered it with the tempo of the original and Axl singing with his medium and low voice like Elvis, it would be something very good, especially nowadays.

Edited by Neider
  • Like 1

I don't have a problem with covers they've recorded and are part of their history. Black Hole Sun and Wichita Lineman were nice tributes at the time but need to be put to rest for 2022. 

I think Slither has some history with the band since Slash came up with the riff in that 94-96 period. It's cool and somewhat surreal that Axl sung a Velvet Revolver song after all the bad blood in the 2000s but that one can be retired too.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1

A frequent topic of discussion are the setlists and what albums are represented in live shows, so I extracted this graph from recent infographic I made:

bilde110.png

In short, the amount of Appetite songs haven't increased really since 2009, but they have slowly been playing more UIY songs and less CD songs. The amount of covers have slowly increased.

The numbers don't summarize to 100% because I have excluded songs off LIES, Spaghetti, unreleased and independent singles.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

9 hours ago, Alexmee239 said:

I really hope they change the stage for this next tour. The one they used in 2021 seems way too small. At least bring back the front ledge, it really allowed the band to "interact" more with the crowd.

Lile 1991 shows?. With Axl streching hands to the fans?. Kind of impossible to me. 

I remember Beta in Lima, Peru when she was sit in front the stage and she gesticulated something like "the stage is so high". I was on the left side of the stage and i cant saw the left side of it. Maybe its the piano elevator.

4 hours ago, axlvai said:

Lile 1991 shows?. With Axl streching hands to the fans?. Kind of impossible to me. 

I remember Beta in Lima, Peru when she was sit in front the stage and she gesticulated something like "the stage is so high". I was on the left side of the stage and i cant saw the left side of it. Maybe its the piano elevator.

No, like the 16' - 17' shows, where it had that long outing in the middle. Now it's just flat, and also narrower. 

On 10/27/2021 at 4:58 PM, Alexmee239 said:

No, like the 16' - 17' shows, where it had that long outing in the middle. Now it's just flat, and also narrower. 

It's called a runway, and yea they should bring that back.

I still think the coolest stage design they've used is the one from early 2010, with the curved runways on the sides:

gnr1.jpg?resize=1031,580&quality=80&stri

6 hours ago, Gibson87 said:

I find it funny that the band releases a song with the line 'pussy full of maggots' but they won't say 'fuck' on their social media.

They tried to clean it up however "uterus full of fly larva" just wasn't able to be implemented into the song that well

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Last night on AXS the Top Ten Reveal had songs about murder.

Of course, "I used to love her" was on the list. lol

The people were all trying to figure out who Axl was singing about. We all know this GNR song was made up and not about anyone in peticular and it really pissed me off that no one knew this.

Better question is, why are you watching garbage TV like that :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Last night on AXS the Top Ten Reveal had songs about murder.

Of course, "I used to love her" was on the list. lol

The people were all trying to figure out who Axl was singing about. We all know this GNR song was made up and not about anyone in peticular and it really pissed me off that no one knew this.

Ha I watched that yesterday too!  It is sort of a guilty pleasure show to watch, I am surprised Steven Adler didn't talk about it because I know he is one of the recurring people interviewed for that show