Jump to content

"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.


Recommended Posts

That 1999-2000 period of recording songs seems fruitful since they're releasing singles in 2021 of reworked versions of those same songs. We'll probably hear the supposed Chinese Democracy 2 songs by 2035 at this rate.

Edited by mystery
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mystery said:

That 1999-2000 period of recording songs seems fruitful since they're releasing singles in 2021 of reworked versions of those same songs. We'll probably hear the supposed Chinese Democracy 2 songs by 2035 at this rate.

By which point, nobody will give a shit! And given the distinct lack of press coverage GNR gets today... that is likely generally the case now too. Having played Hard Skool and Absurd to a few fellow rockers over the past few weeks, the reaction at best has been... meh! Absurd is actually dreadful so I get that. But Hard Skool I didn't mind. Was disappointed to hear one pal review it as... "GNR by numbers; all the elements are there... it's just missing something!"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

By which point, nobody will give a shit! And given the distinct lack of press coverage GNR gets today... that is likely generally the case now too. Having played Hard Skool and Absurd to a few fellow rockers over the past few weeks, the reaction at best has been... meh! Absurd is actually dreadful so I get that. But Hard Skool I didn't mind. Was disappointed to hear one pal review it as... "GNR by numbers; all the elements are there... it's just missing something!"

why should I care about what other people think of it if I personally enjoy it? even a positive reaction to a "new" Gn'R song or album has no effect on me personally so honestly, I really don't give a shit that nobody gives a shit.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Rovim said:

why should I care about what other people think of it if I personally enjoy it? even a positive reaction to a "new" Gn'R song or album has no effect on me personally so honestly, I really don't give a shit that nobody gives a shit.

Slow down there, horsey! 😀😃😄😁 Never suggested you should care about what other people think. If you want to dissect what I mean though... GNR have, in part, 'lost' many fans due to their lack of releases, emphasised by the fact that my pals (who would go to a concert if nearby and are generally fans of the 87-93 era) had no idea these songs have even been released as there was little fanfare with it. Fact is, it Metallica or another of their peers release something, the world knows about it and there is airplay. Less so for GNR. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Slow down there, horsey! 😀😃😄😁 Never suggested you should care about what other people think. If you want to dissect what I mean though... GNR have, in part, 'lost' many fans due to their lack of releases, emphasised by the fact that my pals (who would go to a concert if nearby and are generally fans of the 87-93 era) had no idea these songs have even been released as there was little fanfare with it. Fact is, it Metallica or another of their peers release something, the world knows about it and there is airplay. Less so for GNR. 

I think that if Axl was genuinely interested in more airplay and awareness for new Gn'R releases, he would have actually promoted it and invested more resources in making sure the maximum amount of people that are interested in the product he's selling, knew about it.

the fact that rock music sells like shit nowdays and Axl seems to keep a pretty low profile and giving almost no interviews suggests he is fine with making his money from live shows without the hassle of actually doing work that doesn't really have financial rewards anymore.

Gn'R retained enough fans to make a bunch of money as soon as Slash returned, I think they're doing fine.

Gn'R's 2021 approach to releasing Absurd and HS kinda reminds me of how Izzy did it. Just digitally releasing a lot of his music through itunes with no promotion. Different musicians, different approach and goals.

 

Edited by Rovim
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it also needs to be stated that these are 20 year old songs that were shelved and only recently brought back, touched up, and released. It might be a different situation if these were brand new songs by the current band. I'm wondering if Guns n Roses releasing 2 singles this year made any news or buzz.

If anything the singles along with the live performances feel like something for the hardcore fans who knew about their existence beforehand. They might not be the same versions, but we now have officially released versions of Absurd and Hard Skool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, gavgnr said:

For me personally, I don’t get why people get hung up on when the songs were written. A good song is a good song regardless of when it was penned. 
 

I don't think that's the problem. I think most people find it a weird way of producing music by having 20 year old drum and vocal tracks being overdubbed with new track from musicians who never had anything to do with the original recordings. It doesn't sound natural to my ears and then there is the whole mixing dilema! Personally, I have hee haw issue with the band re-recording old CD-era tracks if that's the best they've got (and all evidence suggests that is the case), but I would personally prefer if they just re-recorded afresh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/18/2021 at 4:17 PM, 19AT5 said:

Wait a minute, are you seriously suggesting the 1988-93 period was the classic era of this band? You are aware of the legendary 2001/02 shows upon which it is widely understood that Axl Rose was at the peak of artistic powers, having shyed from the world for 7 years, having recorded a career's worth of vocals in 1999, and having replaced every band member bar The Diz! You are aware, right!!!?! :P 

And yet the 2001-02 shows were far better than any of 2011-14 and 2017-21 on absolutely everything, from guitars to Axl's vocals. And 2006-10 was another high point for the band, but for sure some people will come to say that it was not GNR and that they should have made 30 albums of the same hard rock like AC/DC…

Edited by Neider
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, gavgnr said:

For me personally, I don’t get why people get hung up on when the songs were written. A good song is a good song regardless of when it was penned. 
 

It isn't when it was written.. It is all the mashed up tracks recorded by different lineups in different decades.. Especially tracks lifted from NuGnR demos

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Neider said:

And yet the 2001-02 shows were far better than any of 2011-14 and 2017-21 on absolutely everything, from guitars to Axl's vocals.

 

Rio really tainted that era of the band, but the late 2011-early 2012 shows were pretty damn good. Much better setlists than 01-02 and Axl sounded pretty strong for the most part. Mid-2012 until late 2014 was a definite low-point, though.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Neider said:

And yet the 2001-02 shows were far better than any of 2011-14 and 2017-21 on absolutely everything, from guitars to Axl's vocals. And 2006-10 was another high point for the band, but for sure some people will come to say that it was not GNR and that they should have made 30 albums of the same hard rock like AC/DC…

Gimme 2017-2021 over 2001-2 anyday IMO.  What Axl doesn't have during these recent years Slash more than makes up for it with his guitar work which is in my opinion the MVP of the reunion

I am all for sonic evolution, but I am also a Slash fanboy :lol:

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Rio really tainted that era of the band, but the late 2011-early 2012 shows were pretty damn good. Much better setlists than 01-02 and Axl sounded pretty strong for the most part. Mid-2012 until late 2014 was a definite low-point, though.

Yes, I agree that those months you name were good, and the same I think can be said for some concerts from 2014 or half concerts from 2017. But still, HoB from 2001 was quite good and I like the performance of the whole band there, and the last concerts of 2002 were also being excellent with Axl improving vocally, but the instrumental plot of 2002 is my favorite after the AFD formation, the only flaw was that Axl was not sooo fine in 2001-02 , but his voice sounded OK and better than the average show of 2011-14 and 2017-21.

In the verses of many songs his voice was somewhat weak, but those very high notes were something incredible and that he never achieved in classical times or since 2010 (in 2006 he also made those notes so high in some songs like TWAT, LALD or Madagascar, but Axl's voice in 2006 was all in one: raspy, clean, very high, midrange, very low).

And yes, I think the 2001-02 setlist could have been better, with more songs from the CD and a couple of the UYIs. There was more variety starting in 2009 and then in 2011. What I would have given so that in 2006 they would have played Civil War, Estranged or Sorry…

51 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Gimme 2017-2021 over 2001-2 anyday IMO.  What Axl doesn't have during these recent years Slash more than makes up for it with his guitar work which is in my opinion the MVP of the reunion

I am all for sonic evolution, but I am also a Slash fanboy

Yep, just as I love the lineups on the CD, of course I love Slash and the classical era. But just as I didn't like Axl's vocals for most of the reunion years, I didn't like Slash's guitar that much at the reunion either. I think the band sounds compact even though Slash gets out of context on many solos or Axl sings badly, but the 2001-10 instrumental part seemed crazy to me, and even better when Axl sang good 100% of the time (2006-10).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm being honest, I'm not sooo a fan of SCOM's live versions since 1988. I have a couple of live versions from 1986, and I'm fascinated with those—the song is calm and romantic, Axl's voice is just like in the studio version and it definitely sounds like a happy ballad. But in 1988 Axl's voice changed and it wasn't as high again like in 1985-87, but Slash also screwed up riffs and solos sometimes, and the song got faster but I think it's OK on Donington and Nakano, even on Ritz (show which I'm not a fan of hehe).

In 1991… no words—I think the band sounded loosely organized and Axl's voice was excessively raspy and sometimes out of tune. Already in 1992 I think that the band sounded on fire and Axl's voice was at another peak, SCOM live in Paris sounded spectacular despite the fact that Sorum's drums in the AFD songs were ¿strange?, but that eternal end of the song was out of place haha.

But from then on, 1993 had less good versions of SCOM (but SIDHY as an intro was amazing) and all the versions of the song between 2001-07 were somewhat weak (but the instrumental part was fine, I think Finck did a good job and I'm definitely more fan of Brain's drums than Matt's on the AFD songs), but I think 2006-07 SCOM might sound amazing if only Axl would have rasped his voice in the final part, because in that year his voice was so incredible and versatile. In 2009-10 Axl sounded amazing on SCOM, but after that year he never sang it well again, even in 2016 his voice was OK.

Have Slash and Duff back and hear them play that song would have been amazing, but Axl hasn't sung it well since 2010. Does the guy hate the song or something? Even in his worst years, Axl sings at least decently WTTJ or Nightrain, but with SCOM I see a big disinterest in him…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been watching what Judas Priest has been doing in 2021 and it feels like all the things people here would like to see in terms of setlists. JP is a band I'd put at the level of Guns n Roses in that they've had a lot of success and hit songs that are usually staples in their setlist. The crazy thing is in the past 3 years they've played some deep cuts; some songs that were performed a handful of times decades ago and other songs that were never performed live.

The cool thing is that Rob Halford actually sounds good singing them or at least as good as you'd expect a guy who's now 70 to sing. It just puts the spotlight on Guns n Roses to dig into their catalog a bit more which they've admittedly have been doing since 2019.

I don't think people ever expected to hear Dead Horse, Locomotive, or songs that went unreleased (Hard Skool) or thought forgotten (Absurd). It'd be nice to see them perform Don't Damn Me, the Garden, You Ain't the First, Since I Don't Have You, Oh My God etc.  It feels like they only bother with Appetite/Patience/the Use Your Illusion singles/and some scattered songs from Chinese Democracy. There's also 5 covers not including KOHD and LALD that should be chopped down or replaced with actual GNR songs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, martinb33 said:

You want to kill Axl.

Someone should come up with a death list of songs that would kill Axl. I simply listed it since it would be cool to check off all the UYI songs that were never done live. 

Judas Priest added Battle Hymn/One Shot at Glory which completes all the Painkiller songs being performed live after 31 years.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mystery said:

Someone should come up with a death list of songs that would kill Axl. I simply listed it since it would be cool to check off all the UYI songs that were never done live. 

Judas Priest added Battle Hymn/One Shot at Glory which completes all the Painkiller songs being performed live after 31 years.

Imagine Human Being. He would have to be rescued by a helicopter in the middle of the stage after the song was over. But hey, he's been torturing us with KOHD for the last 15 years. We'd be even.

But seriously though, it would be nice to see The Garden back in the setlist and I think Axl would do it justice pretty well. Anyway, we'll never know why certain songs are resurrected and others aren't, you'd have to dive into Axl's head.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, mystery said:

I don't think people ever expected to hear Dead Horse, Locomotive, or songs that went unreleased (Hard Skool) or thought forgotten (Absurd). It'd be nice to see them perform Don't Damn Me, the Garden, You Ain't the First, Since I Don't Have You, Oh My God etc.  It feels like they only bother with Appetite/Patience/the Use Your Illusion singles/and some scattered songs from Chinese Democracy. There's also 5 covers not including KOHD and LALD that should be chopped down or replaced with actual GNR songs.

I think the best songs they should add would be the ones where Axl sings mostly with his low voice, so as not to kill the poor man. Some could be Bad Obsession, Pretty Tied Up, Locomotive, You Ain’t the First, Down on the Farm, I Don’t Care About You, and that Sorry can be played always.

As a random thought, I think Heartbreak Hotel would be an incredible cover if done to the tempo of the Elvis version—excellent blues, aggressive and then very calm. I don't like the GNR version because they played it as if it were Out ta Get Me or the other AFD songs, but if they covered it with the tempo of the original and Axl singing with his medium and low voice like Elvis, it would be something very good, especially nowadays.

Edited by Neider
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have a problem with covers they've recorded and are part of their history. Black Hole Sun and Wichita Lineman were nice tributes at the time but need to be put to rest for 2022. 

I think Slither has some history with the band since Slash came up with the riff in that 94-96 period. It's cool and somewhat surreal that Axl sung a Velvet Revolver song after all the bad blood in the 2000s but that one can be retired too.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My wishlist for summer 2022, songs that also fit Axl's current voice so he doesn't butcher them: PTU, Bad Obession, also make Locomotive a staple or rotate it with Coma at the beggining of the encore. Those, along with Absurd and HS would a make a great set imo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A frequent topic of discussion are the setlists and what albums are represented in live shows, so I extracted this graph from recent infographic I made:

bilde110.png

In short, the amount of Appetite songs haven't increased really since 2009, but they have slowly been playing more UIY songs and less CD songs. The amount of covers have slowly increased.

The numbers don't summarize to 100% because I have excluded songs off LIES, Spaghetti, unreleased and independent singles.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, axlvai said:

If Bolivia didnt kill Axl, he can do anything.

You Could Be Mine as the opening, that was really anecdotal. Which makes me think we could turn the page with It's So Easy by now, or at least, manage other alternatives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...